Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Sean Miller

Post by CalStateTempe »

1. I don’t run to the trier thread following every positive post to comment

2. As stated before trier is an offensive weapon and my biggest complaint for him have been in defense and leadership for his seniority and level of athleticism/talent. I expect him to be good in those areas because he is so good and quick and knows the game on the offensive side.

3. Triers really starting to put it together the last 2-3 weeks. I am impressed that he is letting the game come to him a bit better, picking and choosing his spots appropriately, and subsequently keeping his hero ball jack a three to a minimum.

4. I still believe trier givith and trier taketh away, but i am fully aware that we go so far as he, Rawle, and Ayton can take us.

5. A good friend of mine mentioned that he feels trier is more of a mercenary than a team leader and that some men are not made in the mold to be a TJ type team lead. Reflecting on that and triers high school experience, I can appreciate that perspective although I do feel when you are the “face of an organization” you are thrust into a team leadership role whether you want it or not. But thinking of trier of being a stud on offense AND recently way more consistent with his shot, allows me to be ok with his deficiencies in the other areas.

I have been nothing but consistent with the above and will not apologize to those that misconstrued my nuanced opinion of triers game as “hate”

I am also getting to the point that if this is the production that we are getting out of him the rest of the way than I’m ok with his jack a shot and hero ball antics earlier in the season in that that’s what had to happen for him to develop. Admitting that is personal growth on my part.

Where’s your personal growth on Miller?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

CalStateTempe wrote:Tepidly hopeful that we might be starting to see the team gel.

Man, phx...always bringing the wet blanket.
Difficult to get anything to gel when the spoon is still stirring it - all game long.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Felt like Saturday there's been a shift to "have fun and just play basketball"
I hope so. Very Lutesque. Perhaps after 8+ years Miller is catching on.
Winning is always more fun.
Part of what I was saying about Rawle's shot not dropping (and him taking a bunch of them) in the two recent losses: that shit isn't fun for anyone, including the rest of the players on our team. When one guy is ice cold and repeatedly clanking shots it sure takes a lot of the fun out of competing on defense and being unselfish on offense.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

CalStateTempe wrote:5. A good friend of mine mentioned that he feels trier is more of a mercenary than a team leader and that some men are not made in the mold to be a TJ type team lead. Reflecting on that and triers high school experience, I can appreciate that perspective although I do feel when you are the “face of an organization” you are thrust into a team leadership role whether you want it or not.
Wholeheartedly co-sign.

At his best, Trier is a prime for a Sixth Man of the Year award in the NBA.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:1. I don’t run to the trier thread following every positive post to comment

2. As stated before trier is an offensive weapon and my biggest complaint for him have been in defense and leadership for his seniority and level of athleticism/talent. I expect him to be good in those areas because he is so good and quick and knows the game on the offensive side.

3. Triers really starting to put it together the last 2-3 weeks. I am impressed that he is letting the game come to him a bit better, picking and choosing his spots appropriately, and subsequently keeping his hero ball jack a three to a minimum.

4. I still believe trier givith and trier taketh away, but i am fully aware that we go so far as he, Rawle, and Ayton can take us.

5. A good friend of mine mentioned that he feels trier is more of a mercenary than a team leader and that some men are not made in the mold to be a TJ type team lead. Reflecting on that and triers high school experience, I can appreciate that perspective although I do feel when you are the “face of an organization” you are thrust into a team leadership role whether you want it or not. But thinking of trier of being a stud on offense AND recently way more consistent with his shot, allows me to be ok with his deficiencies in the other areas.

I have been nothing but consistent with the above and will not apologize to those that misconstrued my nuanced opinion of triers game as “hate”

I am also getting to the point that if this is the production that we are getting out of him the rest of the way than I’m ok with his jack a shot and hero ball antics earlier in the season in that that’s what had to happen for him to develop. Admitting that is personal growth on my part.

I will say this. I wasn't putting Miller down with that post. But effort has been a huge problem and we should all be pissed.

I think Miller is a decent coach and great recruiter. I think Miller has done some great adjustments this year and give credit for those.

I didn't like Miller for years due to off the court stuff he did that directly impacted groups I am involved with, friends and me. But I have completely forgiven. No point in grudges and I believe I forgiveness. But that doesn't mean Miller shouldn't be held accountable.

It has long been said the greatest compliment for a coach is his team playing hard for him. If that's the case shouldn't the other end if that spectrum be true as well? The team plays hard they win by a good margin. They don't they struggle vs lesser competition. Pointing that out isn't a bad thing is it?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

PHXCATS wrote:
I didn't like Miller for years due to off the court stuff he did that directly impacted groups I am involved with, friends and me. But I have completely forgiven.
Exactly why I love Miller.
Last edited by Olsondogg on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

lmao
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks odogg for the correction
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Sorry, fixed
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

97cats wrote:lmao
he's a treat alright
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Someday I'll share my story of Machina IRL...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
I didn't like Miller for years due to off the court stuff he did that directly impacted groups I am involved with, friends and me. But I have completely forgiven.
Hold on dude, don’t quote me with Phx words. I just want the record straight for those that speed by.
So you don't judge our basketball coach on interactions with a group?

I do. One time I saw Joseph Blair at Blanco Tacos Y Tequila, and he didn't even offer to buy my food, despite the fact I was wearing a U of A hat.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

:lol:
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Hold on dude, don’t quote me with Phx words. I just want the record straight for those that speed by.
Whoa. CST.... I thought Miller agreed to speak at the MBLA convention you are hosting this year. Did he postpone again?

Regardless, thank you for being big enough to show mercy in your heart. Does he know that you have forgiven him? It might allow him to be more loose with the team and bring out the best in all of them.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Whoa. CST.... I thought Miller agreed to speak at the MBLA convention you are hosting this year. Did he postpone again?

Regardless, thank you for being big enough to show mercy in your heart. Does he know that you have forgiven him? It might allow him to be more loose with the team and bring out the best in all of them.
Another broken quote...the author of "Miller was mean to my group" is PHXMachina
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dude I met Miller once at the Olympic club in sf and he was awesome.

That was machina’s quote that odogg put under my heading when he tried to quote to respond to machine.

For fucks sake, I say a lot of stupid shit on here but I’m not petty.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:1. I don’t run to the trier thread following every positive post to comment

I will say this. I wasn't putting Miller down with that post. But effort has been a huge problem and we should all be pissed.

I think Miller is a decent coach and great recruiter. I think Miller has done some great adjustments this year and give credit for those.

I didn't like Miller for years due to off the court stuff he did that directly impacted groups I am involved with, friends and me. But I have completely forgiven. No point in grudges and I believe I forgiveness. But that doesn't mean Miller shouldn't be held accountable.

It has long been said the greatest compliment for a coach is his team playing hard for him. If that's the case shouldn't the other end if that spectrum be true as well? The team plays hard they win by a good margin. They don't they struggle vs lesser competition. Pointing that out isn't a bad thing is it?

See the above and see the quote from Machina in a bold. Since everyone just saw Odoggs response and assumed I’d say such a petty thing.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:Dude I met Miller once at the Olympic club in sf and he was awesome.

That was machina’s quote that odogg put under my heading when he tried to quote to respond to machine.

For fucks sake, I say a lot of stupid shit on here but I’m not petty.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I completely understood that it was Machina's quote... I would have thought it was obvious by the content of my post that I was being facetious (at least with respect to the fact that I addressed it to you).

Sorry... since you don't reply to my PM's anymore I guess I should not have assumed you realize the joke. :o ;)
TJATUA

Post by TJATUA »

Just noticed that Amy Miller deleted her Twitter account. Any background info into this?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

TJATUA wrote:Just noticed that Amy Miller deleted her Twitter account. Any background info into this?
Just weeks away from allergies season.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol: got me, sorry my sarcasm meter/board banter interpretation was a bit off latter in the day. Being first call on Hand into industrial dough roller will do that to a guy.
TJATUA

Post by TJATUA »

Longhorned wrote:
TJATUA wrote:Just noticed that Amy Miller deleted her Twitter account. Any background info into this?
I buy it
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

http://tucson.com/sports/greghansen/the ... 8abbb.html" target="_blank

Have a listen to this AZ Daily Star podcast discussing the possibility that Sean Miller leaves Arizona in light of the FBI investigation. Tons of negative speculation. My question is: if Miller is keen to leaving Tucson one step ahead of the NCAA & FBI, why would another school take a chance on him if he did something wrong? And if he didn't do anything wrong, why would Miller be looking to leave? What am I missing?

The overall theme of the discussion is that Miller is unhappy & the program is in a dark place with players not having fun. I don't see deeper meaning. I see a team that knows it is talented but is having trouble putting it all together. In a sense, you're only as strong as your weakest link. And from a personnel standpoint, defense is an issue primarily because of PJC & Dusan.

Maybe I'm being myopic but I see a super intense coach who wants it so bad for his program and his players. And he knows he has a flawed team that has some really talented players and he's trying to make it work.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:http://tucson.com/sports/greghansen/the ... 8abbb.html

Have a listen to this AZ Daily Star podcast discussing the possibility that Sean Miller leaves Arizona in light of the FBI investigation. Tons of negative speculation. My question is: if Miller is keen to leaving Tucson one step ahead of the NCAA & FBI, why would another school take a chance on him if he did something wrong? And if he didn't do anything wrong, why would Miller be looking to leave? What am I missing?

The overall theme of the discussion is that Miller is unhappy & the program is in a dark place with players not having fun. I don't see deeper meaning. I see a team that knows it is talented but is having trouble putting it all together. In a sense, you're only as strong as your weakest link. And from a personnel standpoint, defense is an issue primarily because of PJC & Dusan.

Maybe I'm being myopic but I see a super intense coach who wants it so bad for his program and his players. And he knows he has a flawed team that has some really talented players and he's trying to make it work.
I mean the second they started throwing out Pitt as an actual option for Miller I tuned out, although I did hear Hansen say Arizona may go 6-12 in the Pac-12 next season. I mean come on, they're just stirring the pot for the sake of it just like it says in the headline.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Tony? Like Tony Bennett taking a NBA job? Yeah that would work...

That Coaching Changes guy starving for shenanigans to take place. How disappointed will he and his 5000 followers be when only Wazzu opens up?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Just advance notice. If this happens, and we lose Miller and get Pastner, it's highly likely I'll start calling out people who I think took Miller for granted and triggered this. The callouts are going to have so much profanity, I'll run out of cuss words and have to reuse multiple phrases about what a **** your mother is.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fortunately for Arizona this will be the 4th year in a row Pastner will miss the NCAAs.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Fortunately for Arizona this will be the 4th year in a row Pastner will miss the NCAAs.
If we hired Pastner, I assume the articles about the Tucson man arrested as a serial strangler will have eyewitness accounts describing the strangler shouting this fact. The witnesses will probably describe it as included in a repetitive, incoherent string of rambling that also references a pending sexual assault lawsuit, an inability to diagram a play that could get him out of a wet paper bag and stating the haters at beardownwildcats deserve to see an actual terrible game coach.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Any guesses on the odds (re: Miller) this is true?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

HiCat wrote:

Lol based on what? Miller will never coach at Pitt ever. Titus is just trolling and saying every one is going back to their alma maters hence the Archie to NC State line, which would never happen.

As far as the other guy goes, he's a nobody.

Sean Miller was just out in California watching and offering two 2018 kids a week ago and was just in Phoenix watching/recruiting a kid who he wouldn't be able to recruit to either Pitt or UCONN yesterday. Sean Miller isn't a quitter.

Also in the fantasy world where Sean Miller leaves Arizona for Pitt or UCONN, Arizona doesn't hire Josh Pastner.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I love all of this. One half of the "fans" want Miller fired, the other half worry that he'll bolt.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Just advance notice. If this happens, and we lose Miller and get Pastner, it's highly likely I'll start calling out people who I think took Miller for granted and triggered this. The callouts are going to have so much profanity, I'll run out of cuss words and have to reuse multiple phrases about what a **** your mother is.
If this ever happened I would become worse than the baby of AZdoubledown and RiseFire
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Wed get Luke Walton if Sean left. Sean isn't leaving anytime soon
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsondogg wrote:I love all of this. One half of the "fans" want Miller fired, the other half worry that he'll bolt.

I imagine it's 90/10 wanting Miller to stay, or more likely 95/5. The 5% minority is just very vocal.

As much as it pained Miller leaving Xavier, I don't think he wants to do that again. Besides, I remember one of his first comments was how much he enjoyed winters in Tucson.

As someone who grew up in the upper midwest, I never want to have to go through those winters again.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

What are you missing? You are missing a lot.

First, Sean Miller doesn't want it any differently ("so bad") than any other coach that has ever lived. So that says zero.

Second, Miller's flawed team is HIS doing. (See ANY of 97's posts.)

Third, Sean Miller likely is very unhappy. So are many (most?) of the fans. So are his bosses who are wondering what really went down. And he is unhappy because his program has been hit with a bomb. Bodies have been carried out of the wreckage and the program under his leadership will NEVER erase the scars.

All 100% Sean Miller's fault.

Deep down (or is it on the surface?) he knows this. Hence, he may think he has to go. SM is a good coach; he has a system; Pitt is the kind of place he can employ that system....and, more importantly, Pitt will take him.

For sure, SM may be thinking that it's time to go home and bring a championship there............down the road.

There are so many reasons this podcast's speculation makes sense. If Amy wants to go, then a move is in the cards.

Sometimes moving is the right decision. Sometimes 'running' might be best for everyone. Sometimes moving is the easiest way to find comfort.

That said, Heeke needs to know what SM is thinking, and NOW. Heeke needs the chance to react in the quickest way possible.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The way the last two posts followed each other is the best.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Is it me, or do the posts of the anti-Miller crowd sound really similar? All pregnant with speculation and reading deep meaning into tea leaves. Dire predictions based on the speculation. Demands for something to change regardless of logic.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
HiCat wrote:

Lol based on what? Miller will never coach at Pitt ever. Titus is just trolling and saying every one is going back to their alma maters hence the Archie to NC State line, which would never happen.

As far as the other guy goes, he's a nobody.

Sean Miller was just out in California watching and offering two 2018 kids a week ago and was just in Phoenix watching/recruiting a kid who he wouldn't be able to recruit to either Pitt or UCONN yesterday. Sean Miller isn't a quitter.

Also in the fantasy world where Sean Miller leaves Arizona for Pitt or UCONN, Arizona doesn't hire Josh Pastner.

Okay, cool. Feeling better now. Don't know who this guy is..just wanted some insider clarity on the matter. Time for another cup of java.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Hank of sb wrote:Bodies have been carried out of the wreckage and the program under his leadership will NEVER erase the scars.
Lol this quote, my god.

Wait what's that sound? Is that yet another part of the FBI investigation going down the drain? Quick Heeke/Robbins we better hammer ourselves before the NCAA doesn't have a case against the program!

Hank please keep hammering that Miller to Pitt take, it just continues to kill your already on life support credibility further.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:Bodies have been carried out of the wreckage and the program under his leadership will NEVER erase the scars.
Lol this quote, my god.

Wait what's that sound? Is that yet another part of the FBI investigation going down the drain? Quick Heeke/Robbins we better hammer ourselves before the NCAA doesn't have a case against the program!

Hank please keep talking about Pitt in regards to Miller, it just continues to kill your already on life support credibility further.
I just want to know whom his savior is...
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

To the haters

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Lol this quote, my god.

Hank please keep hammering that Miller to Pitt take, it just continues to kill your already on life support credibility further.
I have one person currently on ignore, and it's Hank, due to his hysterical takes on Miller and the FBI.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Leaving Az for pitt? He's got a program that knocks on the final 4 every year. Top 25 every year. Why do u people think hes unhappy? I don't get it. Is it cause he called his team out? Gets pissed when his team is sleeping? He's the coach he cares and knows his team has a chance to get it done. The fbi garbage has nothing to do with him or he woulda been taken with Book. U aren't happy with him because hes ranked in the top 15? Some of you are nuts.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Hank of sb wrote:

What are you missing? You are missing a lot.

First, Sean Miller doesn't want it any differently ("so bad") than any other coach that has ever lived. So that says zero.

Second, Miller's flawed team is HIS doing. (See ANY of 97's posts.)

Third, Sean Miller likely is very unhappy. So are many (most?) of the fans. So are his bosses who are wondering what really went down. And he is unhappy because his program has been hit with a bomb. Bodies have been carried out of the wreckage and the program under his leadership will NEVER erase the scars.

All 100% Sean Miller's fault.

Deep down (or is it on the surface?) he knows this. Hence, he may think he has to go. SM is a good coach; he has a system; Pitt is the kind of place he can employ that system....and, more importantly, Pitt will take him.

For sure, SM may be thinking that it's time to go home and bring a championship there............down the road.

There are so many reasons this podcast's speculation makes sense. If Amy wants to go, then a move is in the cards.

Sometimes moving is the right decision. Sometimes 'running' might be best for everyone. Sometimes moving is the easiest way to find comfort.

That said, Heeke needs to know what SM is thinking, and NOW. Heeke needs the chance to react in the quickest way possible.
This is hilarious because Jurich & Pitino are about to sue everyone and will probably win Jurich could get reinstated but Pitino is probably out of a job even if he wins.

Why you don't jump the gun
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

And this BS miller knew what book was doing is comical. We all know what our family is doing at all times of the day right? Not. There's a reason book was meeting these guys in the off season in his hometown of New York. Book was keyword ALLEGEDLY taking payment to send a player the the advisor /agent when they go pro. Wasnt benefitting Az or miller in any way.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Miller was cleared by the FBI, and has full support of Heeke and Robbins.

The only matter is that the head coach is responsible for the actions of the assistant coaches due to NCAA rules, but only if Miller should have known.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Miller was cleared by the FBI, and has full support of Heeke and Robbins.

The only matter is that the head coach is responsible for the actions of the assistant coaches due to NCAA rules, but only if Miller should have known.

Can you provide a link for this part?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Even if the ncaa gets him for not controlling his team or whatever they call it it won't be a severe penalty like postseason ban.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:Miller was cleared by the FBI, and has full support of Heeke and Robbins.

Can you provide a link for this part?
Not going to look it up, but he was not implicated by the FBI, which I read to mean "cleared".

For one thing, he was not arrested.

The NCAA investigation is completely separate, and is more regarding institutional control. If the NCAA slaps a "show cause" on Miller, then that means he won't be coaching anywhere else either. The NCAA has no legal power whatsoever though, and cannot issue subpoenas or warrants.