Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Longhorned »

zonagrad wrote:If Miller is guilty and likely a pariah in the industry he could just come clean and say yes, you're damn right I paid players. And so did coaches x, y and Z. He could make no apologies and just go on the offensive at the hypocrisy of the NCAA. What is there to lose?
$10,000,000.00
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

legallykenny wrote:
jajoyce wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:People going crazy. You play on. Sit nobody. Refer back to statement from September. Fuck them all cause this shit is just beginning.

The one thing I worry about is the “institutional control”. I mean if we knew about everything and decided to say screw everyone and keep playing you really give he NCAA ammo to shit all over our program rather than us just cleaning house and taking a few years of probation and post season bans.
How, precisely, have Miami, UNC, Auburn, etc. displayed institutional control?
Seems like it’s a term that only applies when the NCAA want to jack USC.
Look at Louisville and what happened with Pitino - most comparable situation in recent past
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Correct me if wrong, but isn’t what Pitino did way worse?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This is an excellent question. Can you really fire Miller if the only evidence is a single article with unnamed sources? The AD would be forced to at the very least read the transcript of the call, right? And if the FBI doesn’t provide it? Or doesn’t even acknowledge there was a call?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I smell what you and javi are cooking chi and I like it.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Chicat wrote:This is an excellent question. Can you really fire Miller if the only evidence is a single article with unnamed sources? The AD would be forced to at the very least read the transcript of the call, right? And if the FBI doesn’t provide it? Or doesn’t even acknowledge there was a call?
No, but you can suspend him until further notice.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

The more I think about this, the more this does not make sense…

Any phone call involving Miller discussing cash payments to ensure Ayton’s enrollment at Arizona would certainly pre-date Book’s arrest.

So if the FBI had those tapes at the time that Book & the others were brought into custody, why would they have classified Arizona and Miller as ‘victims’ in the scam - which they did in their initial report.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Chicat wrote:This is an excellent question. Can you really fire Miller if the only evidence is a single article with unnamed sources? The AD would be forced to at the very least read the transcript of the call, right? And if the FBI doesn’t provide it? Or doesn’t even acknowledge there was a call?

Great point, there are legal ramifications for suspending a state employee...there is a very strict system in place for this...without any hard evidence (and the Yahoo writers have not even provided transcripts they are basically saying "We were told Miller said this stuff to Dawkins") suspending him could be a violation of state law.

The best thing to do is wait...which means he coaches tonite and does not do any media interviews...

Walton and Pasch tonite and ESPN already throwing him under the bus, BESIDES the Trier PED clearance...this is a clusterfuck.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I smell what you and javi are cooking chi and I like it.
“We’ve reached out to the FBI and they have been unable to confirm that the phone call in question actually occurred, or that Coach Miller was recorded speaking to anyone related to this current investigation outside of his normal duties with respect to former coach Emmanuel Richardson. Without that confirmation, and taking into account Coach Miller’s vehement denials of any wrong-doing, the administration has concluded that Coach Miller will continue his term as our head coach. If any further evidence should come to light as a part of the FBI investigation or our internal investigation, we reserve the option of re-examining that relationship. Thank you.”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Not that there's anything wrong with unnamed, "knowledgeable" sources. But no, you can't fire Miller over an article with unnamed sources and no documentation of evidence. The article is credible and will make Miller's life hell, but in mid-investigation with no charges issued, only Miller can agree to its truthfulness. And if Miller did indeed do what that article said he did, it might be in his and Arizona's interest to take a paid leave of absence because he really is going to be a distraction moving forward.

I just don't think Miller coaches Arizona anymore starting tonight. But if I'm wrong and he is, then I'll have to say that, despite all appearances to the contrary, he just might be innocent and ESPN could lose credibility.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Harvey Specter wrote:The more I think about this, the more this does not make sense…

Any phone call involving Miller discussing cash payments to ensure Ayton’s enrollment at Arizona would certainly pre-date Book’s arrest.

So if the FBI had those tapes at the time that Book & the others were brought into custody, why would they have classified Arizona and Miller as ‘victims’ in the scam - which they did in their initial report.
That’s what I have been thinking as well Harv, those tapes would have had to predate Ayton’s signing in 2016. Ther is not only way any of this makes sense, which then points to someone with an ax to grind leaking evidence to the media.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

BTW the leak seems to have come from Dawkins lawyer. It would appear they're desperate.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:The more I think about this, the more this does not make sense…

That’s what I have been thinking as well Harv, those tapes would have had to predate Ayton’s signing in 2016. Ther is not only way any of this makes sense, which then points to someone with an ax to grind leaking evidence to the media.
Did the FBI say Miller was a victim? I may misremember, but I thought it was "the schools" who were the victims. And from the FBI perspective, what did Miller do wrong? Would such a payment be illegal? The tax implications fall on the receiving end.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NYCat wrote:BTW the leak seems to have come from Dawkins lawyer. It would appear they're desperate.
Fucker.
prh

Post by prh »

CalStateTempe wrote:
NYCat wrote:BTW the leak seems to have come from Dawkins lawyer. It would appear they're desperate.
Fucker.
That’s promising though, it calls its validity into question
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

The whole part about "go through me, not Book" is odd too.
Why then was Involved with Quinerly if Miller was the the point man?

The Book info only mentioned Pasternack. Weird that Millers named wouldn't have come up during those talks.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

prh wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Fucker.
That’s promising though, it calls its validity into question
How would that benifit Dawkins?
And why now?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

The quote
“Charging Christian Dawkins with alleged Federal crimes while his bosses at ASM run free is as categorically egregious as charging all the assistant coaches while their bosses are steaming towards the glory and riches of the NCAA tournament."
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Then Dawkins should have spilled the beans on his bosses, not Miller.
If the FBI really has this tape I don't see the benifit of leaking (for Dawkins).
OSCat

Post by OSCat »

so lawyer would not know if Miller was cooperating with FBI
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NYCat wrote: The quote
“Charging Christian Dawkins with alleged Federal crimes while his bosses at ASM run free is as categorically egregious as charging all the assistant coaches while their bosses are steaming towards the glory and riches of the NCAA tournament."
I want Miller taking the court with double birds tonight.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Postmaster wrote:Then Dawkins should have spilled the beans on his bosses, not Miller.
If the FBI really has this tape I don't see the benifit of leaking (for Dawkins).
Maybe there no tape.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I want to ban vitale from life.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Sanctimonious pricks.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That’s how you do it.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

At this point follow everyone's lead. See you on the floor Ayton!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So say we are paying players to come to Arizona. All the players we lost out on(Bagley, McCoy, Josh Jackson, justice winslow, TJ Leaf, Markel Fultz, Hands, trevon duval)turned us down to go play for free? Yeah right!! The one player that I def thought would be brought up is Kobi Simmons! Look at the 2016 class and think some good money had to been thrown around. Going hard after Josh Jackson, Markannen, Alkins, Simmons and T Ferg! Oh and all the asu fans that are laughing at us. Don’t think for a second the 2 5star kids you landed this year we done so on the up and up!
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Esp. With Oregon, you think that Dorsey was free?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

If Sean Miller coaches tonight then he, the University and the FBI know some things that Dawkin's lawyer does not. And ESPN might just owe some real big dollars to Sean Miller someday.

If Miller is not on the sidelines tonight, then......

If Ayton does not play tonight, then....

But so much of this story just does not add up. All the money has always flowed from the shoe company and/or the agent to the assistant coaches, the player or the player's family. Why in the world would Sean Miller be telling the runner that he is going to be involved in giving the money to the runner? What ability does Dawkins have to steer Ayton? Is there any evidence that Dawkins had anything to do with Ayton? His family?

What if Miller finds out Book is crooked. FBI is involved and Miller cooperates. FBI gets Miller to talk with Dawkins (Miller directing Dawkins not to go through Book is a huge tell). Miller documents all contacts with Byrne (who decides it would be best not to be in Tucson when the sh*t starts flying). Miller is not part of the first indictment but still gets a friendly visit from the FBI to keep up appearances. Fast forward to this week,Dawkins' lawyer learns that the Miller conversations are going to be used in trial against his client. Keep in mind, its probably about the right time in the prosecution that the feds have to turn over all their evidence to the defendant. So the lawyer leaks the conversations with Miller to distract, to hit back and to destroy Miller in an effort to obfuscate the charges against his client.

The facts will come out but there is a pathway.....

Miller coaching tonight would be huge. And ESPN will be very nervous.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I am pretty depressed, waking up to see all of this.

I hope we hear something soon from Miller / Heeke / Robins. We need a statement so we all can stop, or at least slow down, on all the speculation.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

atlantakat wrote:If Sean Miller coaches tonight then he, the University and the FBI know some things that Dawkin's lawyer does not. And ESPN might just owe some real big dollars to Sean Miller someday.

If Miller is not on the sidelines tonight, then......

If Ayton does not play tonight, then....

But so much of this story just does not add up. All the money has always flowed from the shoe company and/or the agent to the assistant coaches, the player or the player's family. Why in the world would Sean Miller be telling the runner that he is going to be involved in giving the money to the runner? What ability does Dawkins have to steer Ayton? Is there any evidence that Dawkins had anything to do with Ayton? His family?

What if Miller finds out Book is crooked. FBI is involved and Miller cooperates. FBI gets Miller to talk with Dawkins (Miller directing Dawkins not to go through Book is a huge tell). Miller documents all contacts with Byrne (who decides it would be best not to be in Tucson when the sh*t starts flying). Miller is not part of the first indictment but still gets a friendly visit from the FBI to keep up appearances. Fast forward to this week,Dawkins' lawyer learns that the Miller conversations are going to be used in trial against his client. Keep in mind, its probably about the right time in the prosecution that the feds have to turn over all their evidence to the defendant. So the lawyer leaks the conversations with Miller to distract, to hit back and to destroy Miller in an effort to obfuscate the charges against his client.

The facts will come out but there is a pathway.....

Miller coaching tonight would be huge. And ESPN will be very nervous.
Excellent analysis. Expect to see Miller coach tonight. He's clean.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:Image
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

Well, per Hansen's tweet a minute ago, more likely not....
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Okay, Coach Romar.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I'm riding and dying with Miller until I see some evidence he is doing something beyond what everyone else is. The people making these decisions better weigh the consequences of the potential decisions.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

Longhorned wrote:Okay, Coach Romar.

If Ayton and Trier get cleared and then Romar leads us to a final four...
Last edited by jajoyce on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

jajoyce wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Okay, Coach Romar.

If Ayton and Trier get cleared and hen Romar leads us to a final four...
Saint Romar. 8-)
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

He could just not coach tonight and then see what happens before next Thursday. This was all a little sudden so maybe he just doesnt want to be a distraction while the game is going on or have to discuss it with reporters afterwards.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah it would help to know the nature of this decision, and who made it.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

Even after ESPN released that info, Miller was still with the team prepping for Oregon:
http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... d2ff3.html
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Now that Miller's status is being leaked, it's time for the university to make a statement.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

So the NCAA for now is letting UA do what it wants with Miller and Ayton.

So questions. Is it Miller deciding not to coach or is Heeke

Does Heeke know more info than what we all do at this point?

This late in the year ride with Ayton no matter what
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Miller should go nuclear
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bring it all down.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Might as well, he is set for life financially due to that contract.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Longhorned wrote:
If only the NCAA could move that fast. A whole 24 hours for a thorough review (on a weekend even).