Irish27

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
zonagrad wrote:Any alum named as head coach would need some really good assistants that can X & O with the best of them and who can "coach" a great practice. That means identifying player weaknesses and teaching. The head coach will need to be able to draw positive attention to the Arizona brand and recruit like hell. You need a nice mix on the staff.

We really hit a grand slam hiring Sean Miller. Very depressing.
Yep. This is the toughest pill.

I would think that most here thought the only chance of losing Sean would be if he left for a bigger job. Seeing his time at AZ (possibly) end amid scandal and shame is indeed depressing.
Spot on. If leaving us for something better was his destiny then farewell and thank you. But if this demise comes with his pinnacle being this moment it feels almost as if We have let him down.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I feel like we just transitioned our loved one into hospice following a few days of hope waiting around in the icu for things to turn around.

Today would’ve been the day to come out for Miller. And I’m sure as shit it was some ignorant Maricopa co based ABOR that couldn’t be swayed to get on board.
I'm still on board that more time is better. The intial reaction was SO bad. Friday, I went to bed thinking I'd wake up and he'd be gone.

The longer it goes, the more facts emerge and all the bad initial emotions subside. I don't know where it leads, but it leads to a smarter, better outcome. It leads to an outcome we deserve, not one driven by the lynch mob mentality.
This!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:
Give me Damon Stoudamire.
I don't get Damon as a head coach. Recruited Ray Smith for Arizona and some other kid for Memphis.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Damon-Stoud ... meRecruits" target="_blank

For comparison Joe Pasternack has 3 recruits, Akot, Lee and Barcello.

Pasternack 21-7 at UCSB, Damon 14-17 at Pacific,

Pasternack is tied into the Book case though, so won't be on any list.

We all love Damon, but like to see him as a AHC for a year under Romar to see how performs. Stay off the weed, even if legal.

While Miles and Pastner were assistants under KO I rarely if ever saw KO to talk to either of them, and never ask for advice,
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:
97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:97 knows what I think all of us knew regardless and that's that Arizona and Miller's time together is coming to an end soon. It's a matter of how soon at this point.
ya and its been a good fricking run, I just didn't expect to potentially go down like this.

Sean Miller came to Arizona when we needed him more than ever and produced 242 wins, I can say I'm more than pleased with the results and all the good times that came with it.

I do believe and have since the FBI scandal hit that he was coming down the stretch at AZ - I was hearing more chatter than ever from folks at a different altitude than I was used to.

it appeared to me that after the season both parties would go their separate ways amicably, that can still happen.

let the coach finish his final run and begin the healing process at that point.

and if for some stroke tomorrow Trier gets cleared I believe the Wildcats have the best shot to cut the nets down in Sean Miller's nine years.

Go Cats!!
Disagree............the 2014 team was easily better. The only player on this team better than its 2014 counterpart is Ayton.

I agree that the UA should let Sean coach the last two games and be on hand for Senior Day. After that I think the UA needs to part ways and withdraw from the PAC12/NCAA tourney. Playing now only ensures that we will get worse sanctions down the road. I realize that many posters want to see the Cats in Vegas one more time (I have my tickets/reservations) but its not worth it if it delays the rebuilding of the program. Now is not the time to be short sighted.......................and lets be realistic. If Trier is not back by Saturday night (end of season) he's not going to be back for the Tourney. As it is its unlikely he will come back in any case. Without Trier this team is ripe for a 1st round upset and most certainly favored to lose in the 2nd round as a 5 or 6 seed.
In the cartoon Doonesbury, Garry Trudeau used a feather to represent Dan Quayle because he was a coward.

Please change your avatar to this immediately.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I'm gonna punch anyone who suggests Pastner as a legitimate possibility.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

zonagrad wrote:I'm gonna punch anyone who suggests Pastner as a legitimate possibility.
lmao
Chicat wrote:
In the cartoon Doonesbury, Garry Trudeau used a feather to represent Dan Quayle because he was a coward.

Please change your avatar to this immediately.
haha!!!!
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Bear Down, Nick!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Wow. Allergies or someone cutting onions.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Irish27 wrote:Bear Down, Nick!
awesome - Sean Miller plowed a lot of fields and has accomplished a ton of good at Arizona

first class by Nick
Sean Olson

Post by Sean Olson »

First off, I don't know you. I think your name starts with a J, you enjoy the movie Fletch, and consistently provide some of the best insight into the Arizona program. But that's just what I've gathered hanging around the boards. Point is, I know nothing beyond the information you've posted here over the years, but I think I've read enough insights that I can make some inferences and I just can't put two-and-two together on Miller.

You mentioned college basketball players have been receiving compensation at all the top programs for 30+ years (which incidentally encompasses the heyday of the Lute years as well so I wouldn't think this is exactly news to anyone close to the program). You've also been about as big a Miller fan as anyone from the day Miller was hired at Arizona (Miller's a witch, we're right where we want to be with Sean Miller, etc.). Then the UNC possibility came along but that seemed to have nothing to do with Arizona everything to do with UNC (understandably) being the 'holy grail' for Miller.

Recently though, it seems like something drastically changed. You even acknowledge that others around the program, "at a higher altitude," have changed their tune on Miller as well to the point of just wanting him gone. And this was before all the FBI stuff. The corruption in college basketball seems like the worst kept secret in sports. It's like an elephant in the room covered by a table cloth. And I don't think for a moment all those talking heads on TV, former players, coaches, and on down the line don't know exactly how it all works behind the scenes. So the outrage at Miller, particularly from within our own program, just seems odd. Isn't Miller just doing what everyone else is doing? Is it just that he got "caught" or got sloppy to where it put certain people's reputations in danger? Is there some distinction between cheaters and CHEATERS? Or has some other cardinal sin been broken?

If Miller and Arizona was coming to an end (seemingly) regardless of this FBI investigation, there has to be more to the story than just wanting a change of scenery. Maybe now is not time to ask these questions, but when the dust settles it would be interesting to get more details on how it all went down.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The outpouring of support for Coach Miller by former players just doesn't align with the "Miller's a cheater" narrative. If he's done at AZ, it just feels wrong. Didn't have to be this way.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:The outpouring of support for Coach Miller by former players just doesn't align with the "Miller's a cheater" narrative. If he's done at AZ, it just feels wrong. Didn't have to be this way.
No player has said 'Miller never payed me' or 'Miller never offered me money.' Just saying how good a guy he is. Unless I missed it somewhere.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

NYCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:The outpouring of support for Coach Miller by former players just doesn't align with the "Miller's a cheater" narrative. If he's done at AZ, it just feels wrong. Didn't have to be this way.
No player has said 'Miller never payed me' or 'Miller never offered me money.' Just saying how good a guy he is. Unless I missed it somewhere.
Deandre Ayton said that.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

3 days ago ESPN could not go 2 minutes without talking about the sports scandal of the century, now you can't even find the story on their website and no one from ESPN is even bringing it up

If we fire Sean I'm going to be pissed
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:
You didn't miss anything. There's not the faintest bid of shade being thrown at Miller by the people that matter: his players. It's all coming from media.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I've been curious about his health. He lost a lot of weight and had the sweating issue.
Now it appears he has put the weight back on.
I just wonder if health might be a factor in CSM thinking about a change.
Just speculation.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Again my head hurts when we are talking about exploited players getting coin. Meanwhile Altman polishes his Final 4 ring late at night because he’s haunted by the nightmares of rapes he ignored.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Alieberman wrote:3 days ago ESPN could not go 2 minutes without talking about the sports scandal of the century, now you can't even find the story on their website and no one from ESPN is even bringing it up

It's still there just as a byline below the Ayton article
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:3 days ago ESPN could not go 2 minutes without talking about the sports scandal of the century, now you can't even find the story on their website and no one from ESPN is even bringing it up

ESPN is not letting Schlabach be available to interviews and ESPN is not doing interviews about the report
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:

ESPN is not letting Schlabach be available to interviews and ESPN is not doing interviews about the report
Which means they're hoping it goes away because they've shot their wad. They have nothing left to report. But when/if Miller & Arizona part ways, you can bet your ass they'll ring the bell and resurrect that story and all the same talking heads will offer their worthless two cents.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Which means they're hoping it goes away because they've shot their wad. They have nothing left to report. But when/if Miller & Arizona part ways, you can bet your ass they'll ring the bell and resurrect that story and all the same talking heads will offer their worthless two cents.
Oh it's gonna suck. Schlabach will somehow come out of it as a brave whistleblower. That's the narrative ESPN will push, you can be sure.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

NYCat wrote:
Noticed this too :lol:

I mean, not wrong, not judging

We're speeding just like most of the other nice cars out there, and just like if you get a speeding ticket, our program was just the right combination of stupid and unlucky to get caught in this instance.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

You know, I was explaining to wife the whole situation.
I got to thinking that Ayton should be the one to sue the glass eye out of espn.
They confuse him with Akot in clips, they link him to Yahoo story and they mix him up with Bowen.

I guess espn can't tell the difference between certain types of people.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

NYCat wrote:

I thnk Mark Lyons came out in the fall and said something like
"I never got money, I lived off ramen in college".
Sean Olson

Post by Sean Olson »

SteveKerrsStroke wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Noticed this too :lol:

I mean, not wrong, not judging

We're speeding just like most of the other nice cars out there, and just like if you get a speeding ticket, our program was just the right combination of stupid and unlucky to get caught in this instance.
Then Schlabach showed up and told the police it was a school zone
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I found this post

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved
Postby CatHoops » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:57 am
Greg Hansen
Greg Hansen @ghansen711
·
Sep 29
This from Mark Lyons, who followed Sean Miller and Book Richardson from Xavier to Arizona:
Mark RareForm Lyons @OnlyMoog
I want to thank RAMEN NOODLES from the bottom of my heart! You saved unfortunate people, and all my college colleagues because we were BROKE

Do you think Hansen knows ramen noodles is not a human being?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Sean Olson wrote:97,

First off, I don't know you. I think your name starts with a J, you enjoy the movie Fletch, and consistently provide some of the best insight into the Arizona program. But that's just what I've gathered hanging around the boards. Point is, I know nothing beyond the information you've posted here over the years, but I think I've read enough insights that I can make some inferences and I just can't put two-and-two together on Miller.

You mentioned college basketball players have been receiving compensation at all the top programs for 30+ years (which incidentally encompasses the heyday of the Lute years as well so I wouldn't think this is exactly news to anyone close to the program). You've also been about as big a Miller fan as anyone from the day Miller was hired at Arizona (Miller's a witch, we're right where we want to be with Sean Miller, etc.). Then the UNC possibility came along but that seemed to have nothing to do with Arizona everything to do with UNC (understandably) being the 'holy grail' for Miller.

Recently though, it seems like something drastically changed. You even acknowledge that others around the program, "at a higher altitude," have changed their tune on Miller as well to the point of just wanting him gone. And this was before all the FBI stuff. The corruption in college basketball seems like the worst kept secret in sports. It's like an elephant in the room covered by a table cloth. And I don't think for a moment all those talking heads on TV, former players, coaches, and on down the line don't know exactly how it all works behind the scenes. So the outrage at Miller, particularly from within our own program, just seems odd. Isn't Miller just doing what everyone else is doing? Is it just that he got "caught" or got sloppy to where it put certain people's reputations in danger? Is there some distinction between cheaters and CHEATERS? Or has some other cardinal sin been broken?

If Miller and Arizona was coming to an end (seemingly) regardless of this FBI investigation, there has to be more to the story than just wanting a change of scenery. Maybe now is not time to ask these questions, but when the dust settles it would be interesting to get more details on how it all went down.
first my man thank you for taking the time to write this question(s) - ive been online chatting about Arizona for so long but these posts make me smile. I appreciate the kind words, seems there was some common ground with us in the past so that's always cool to read.

I'm still a gigantic Sean Miller fan. in his nine years at Arizona I've learned that nobody will outwork Sean Miller. he is a tireless competitor who loves basketball and working with student athletes, his players go to class and graduate, that means something to me.

the results on the floor have been outstanding, Miller has carries a .771 winning percentage with 242 wins in nine years at AZ. hes won the Pac 12 Conf four times (soon to be five) and has been coach of the year three times.

his ability to handle the media and control the environment is what I noticed about him right away, always smooth and under control seeming to say the right thing over and over.

what separates Sean tho is his ability as a recruiter. he would laser in on a player and make that player the clear number one priority, tracing and tracking the player showing up unannounced to take in a practice or take the private plane after an away game to catch a run on the way home. the players talk about how he would appear and make his presence felt, especially with parents.

his sunday breakfast meetings at the University Marriot to close the deal for official visits were legend - many players and their mothers pledged to Miller on those Sundays.

as with anything however, time is the ultimate equalizer.

I often said over the years the earlier Sean Miller gets to the Final Four at Arizona the better the prospects of keeping him in Tucson for 20 years.

the close calls and the missed opportunities hurt, and they put Coach on the backside of that timeline - then the stress became a factor as the near misses piled up and adversity came in form off the floor.

over time a few small cuts can add up, and that happened here a bit. people in Tucson want a winner, but they also want a certain type of person. I believe Sean Miller had the opportunity and the desire to be that person, but he needed to win to validate that and he fell just short.

if he makes the Final Four in '11 and/or '14 we are having a different conversation today - that's how close this is. Tucson can be a buffer, but its fickle and needs to feel good.

in some ways it hasn't felt good or its felt bad too often.

the UCLA administrator, the ref scandal, the ongoing feud with the conf, Larry Scott, Elliot Pitts, Book suspension (pre FBI), Harvey Mason, Trier PED, the FBI Sept-current), and now the popular narrative of Miller being plain dirty and bad.

it can add up -- change sometimes is the best thing for everyone, Miller has even said that himself.

people began to pile on the leader a bit and then the FBI situation changed everything, as soon as that hit folks who I would never chat basketball with were telling me how fucked Arizona was, and how fucked Sean Miller was.

when stories corroborate it becomes a sick feeling.

I know we all don't love Seth Davis - but I was at a holiday party and had the pleasure of meeting him and chatting (super nice guy) and he explained how Sean Miller was screwed and everyone knew about it. he eluded to their being much more from the scandal and pointed out another 20 schools too.

rewind a bit, I'm pretty sure coach Miller had a moment in September too, maybe one that accelerated his feelings about the long term viability of being at Arizona and began to reassess his situation? I don't know?

but, I know Arizona was looking at this season as an opportunity to stand by their coach and make a run for the Final Four, and then adjust after the season, they had a great team and TONS of unanswered questions that needed time.

not unpredictable it became somewhat of a rollercoaster - Coach is tired, fatigued and under a lot of stress... and it shows.

but, where I'm at a real loss, is him potentially being removed with one week of the regular season left at the hands of a bogus report - that doesn't feel right.

there is unfinished business for Sean Miller at Arizona, the story is not meant to be over, there is one last act.

if tomorrow Arizona can get Coach Miller back to his team and somehow get Alonzo cleared they have an opportunity with DeAndre Ayton dominating to have emotional run through March that could be for the ages.

I have visions of Sean Miller advancing to the Final Four this year and leaving Arizona the week after.

well, I guess tomorrow we will see.......
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wow, 97. And right as I was nodding off too. Thanks, man. Great stuff as always.
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

Crazy following this all. Have read every damn post since Friday and the world falling out for a lot of us. I've gone from depressed to sad, and now to some hope but a lot of anger for BSPN and all the talking heads. I'm completely backing Miller and our program and UA as all this feels like a big cheap shot, and personal as an alumni. It's been a rollercoaster and so many great posts have helped me get through this shit. LH, 97, Choo, odogg and many others have had great posts and information that there's no way to get from typical media sources.

I just hope somehow it all falls into place like 97 has said a few times and Miller gets his chance to coach and Trier gets cleared. There's no reason this shouldn't happen unless there's just a lot more that ABOR knows that we don't. What pisses me off is if this pos schluckbock doesn't get trigger happy, precum, and release a BS story none of this is even a thing right now. It shouldn't have been released until he had more information from his "source" and actually got some accurate dates and hey maybe even had seen some documents or heard something/anything legitimate. F espn though. Hilarious the hiding they're now doing nightly on their college game broadcasts and the burying of the story on the site.

Anyways, Bear Down guys and hopefully we get some good news.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

I'm starting to feel like we are blinded by hope but reality is going to hit us soon and they are going to fire Miller. We likely won't be relevant again for a while. I hope I'm wrong.
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

If we get rid of miller, or let him get away, we are THE DUMBEST MOTHERFUCKING ALUM/FANS/ADMIN on the planet. Jesus.
Whoever 97 refers to as changing their perspective re: Miller in recent years - FUCK YOU.
Get ready to enjoy frustration and obscurity.... I home I'm wrong.
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

Look fuck-stick, I'm incredibly busy, so why don't you get the hell out of here before I snap your dick off and jam it into your ass..... No, not you Helen, but I will rip your tits off if you don't get me those theatres.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

If Miller plans to leave after this year, fire him now. That's how I feel.

You can say all you want about stress and everything else, it's BS.

The cupboard is bare and sanctions are coming. Miller leaving is a good career move.

If Miller chooses to leave, he is dead to me.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

Great post '97. The more I see all the support from former players and the true fans, the more bummed I'll be if/when he goes. I know there's been a lot of crazy crap that's going down and has during his tenure, but what he has accomplished I feel there are very few that could have done the same. The recent allegations suck, because I feel Miller eventually gets us to where we need to be.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I want to thank 97 and all those who have kept everyone up to date. I am hoping we have good news today, I think Sean deserves to finish this year as the coach. Also, free Zo!!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Fuck
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:Fuck
Yep
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Fuck
Yep
News?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

spill it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Get premium? Don't see anything on twitter.

97cats wrote:
I have visions of Sean Miller advancing to the Final Four this year and leaving Arizona the week after.
That would be sweet. The FF that is, not so much him leaving, but with no real team next year might as well start completely fresh.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Get ready for an day of ESPN trotting out their “whistleblower” and vitale and Bilas running victory laps?
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Per Scheers latest update it sounds like Sean Miller will likely be fired today.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Dosia wrote:Per Scheers latest update it sounds like Sean Miller will likely be fired today.
He even says that he’s just speculating. I don’t think anyone really knows what’s going on in these meetings. I think regardless he’s gone at the end of the year.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

What we don't know right now is what we need to worry about. Shit I wish the ABOR met yesterday although they might have had wind of what might be coming
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is this on WA? Not seeing it on Twitter.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Chicat wrote:Is this on WA? Not seeing it on Twitter.
Yep
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
Dosia wrote:Per Scheers latest update it sounds like Sean Miller will likely be fired today.
He even says that he’s just speculating. I don’t think anyone really knows what’s going on in these meetings. I think regardless he’s gone at the end of the year.
He literally says "the general belief is..." Again hopefully it isn't true I'm just relaying what he said.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Grew up my whole life from 13 on loving Lute and Arizona basketball. Those 4 years at the end of his era were tough. Then comes Sean Miller, I knew not much about him, and he lit the same passion back into me.

If he’s gone today, I feel that we are in for some tougher years and without the passion and coaching that Miller brought back.

I’m at a loss guys.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:Grew up my whole life from 13 on loving Lute and Arizona basketball. Those 4 years at the end of his era were tough. Then comes Sean Miller, I knew not much about him, and he lit the same passion back into me.

If he’s gone today, I feel that we are in for some tougher years and without the passion and coaching that Miller brought back.

I’m at a loss guys.
What makes me more at ease here is the intimation that Miller feels this is best too.