Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Sean Miller

Post by rgdeuce »

DrWildcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
97cats wrote:there is one concern right now, and its legitimate -- if Arizona lets Sean Miller coach the rest of the season and into the NCAA Tournament, if there are other grenades, as many have said there are, they will surely be deployed during this period, especially if AZ makes a deep run in the NCAA's or dare i even say make the Final Four.

the fall-out from that may be too large to ever come back from, even if the contract were re-written, its future land mines that are becoming the issue.

Arizona has wanted Miller to finish the season, separate amicably, and hire a new coach and vision with as little fanfare as possible.

obvviouslt that plan and/or hope has changed and new directives have been given.
If there are grenades, I can't imagine they're not thrown regardless of our tourney coach. The higher our profile, the more impact allegations can have.

We'll see what emerges tomorrow. If Miller's ready to be done, I don't see why you can't just drop a release where he consents to paid leave to "avoid distraction to the team" as it enters the tourney. This keeps him out of the media eye and you work on the final parting.
Probably just afraid of the optics if more came out and we allowed him to continue coaching.

Makes me feel like Miller is the biggest name thats going to come out of this whole thing if we can expect more tactical releasing of info during the tournament. Why not leak info on a bigger name if there is one?
Why "leak" on Miller with a fabricated/BS story? Defies logic, unless you think in terms of Miller is being targeted for a reason. They could have made that up for any other coach in CBB, why Miller? Multiple coaches would have been the bigger story.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

btfd16 wrote:Clear violation from Hansen regarding the Star's Code of Ethics. Not even getting in to the Sources section.
We strive for fairness and accuracy. Quick action is required in making corrections — both ethically and legally. All corrections requests, no matter how trivial, must be discussed with an editor. Every complaining party must get a response, regardless of whether we publish a correction or clarification. If we have given our readers a wrong impression about the reasonable view of a principal of a story, there may be need for a clarification. Every effort should be made to set the record straight, not just to correct errors of fact.
Fabrication Deceiving readers by fabrication is prohibited. Care must be taken in retelling events so that it is clear to the reader that the event was not witnessed firsthand. Fabrications in non-news stories, such as columns and features, must be obvious to the reader. Fabrication also includes representing yourself as other than representing the Star or StarNet.
Submitted Letter to the Editor:

Hello,

In your article titled above, it says that Hansen tweeted a correction and an apology. An apology was never tweeted. More specifically, the tweet states: "To be clear, Book Richardson did not speak to me about anything. He is under instructions not to speak to any media. I did not attempt to speak to him, either."

No apology to Sean Miller for making the story up. No apology to Book for making the source up. No apology to the fans for flat out lying to them. Not once is there an "I'm sorry". This sentence in the article, like Greg, is lying.

He is also in clear violation of the ADS Code of Ethics policy, specifically the "Fabrication" section. If there are no repercussions, where is the integrity of the ADS that it's employees are not required to abide by it's own Code of Ethics?
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:
BibbysTowelDude wrote:ABoR can’t and won’t be doing squat today or tomorrow.
Yup, it's up to Robbins/Heeke
Serious question:

Can ABOR formally impose firing on the institution? I know they can probably do that in a de facto matter, but if Arizona dug their heels in, who wins?

I don't know much about ABOR proceedings vs the institution, but I've wondered about this.
How I understand it, they can make a strong recommendation, but that means nothing. The hires and fires are 100 percent on the school president and athletic director. ABoR is the bean counting factory making sure contracts make sense.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

NYCat wrote:

Wonder why ABOR is this heavily involved then? If Arizona decides to sue ESPN or something, does that have to go through ABOR? Could ABOR be discussing adjusting the terms of CSM contract to possibly be year to year as everyone waits to see what comes out of this investigation?

Oh yeah, #FreeZO
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

sirhamsalot

Post by sirhamsalot »

UALoco wrote:ESPN: Miller cheated

FANS: Holy shit, we're fucked

UA: We have to do something

Ayton Camp: We didn't do shit and no one can prove we did

SM: I didn't do what ESPN says

ESPN: We made a bunch of mistakes but not taking it back

FANS: F**K ESPN, Keep Miller

UA: You totally innocent SM?

SM: I didn't do what ESPN says

UA: If we gonna keep you, we need to be protected

SM: I got nothing for you, but if you fire me, you'll be hearing from my lawyers

UA: What if we keep you, but edit the contract so UA is made whole if something does come out

SM: I can do that

UA: ABOR...Can we do that?

ABOR: I'll get back to you.
I could see this working for both sides. CSM says he's innocent and wants to clear his name. He truly believes there's nothing incriminating on him and restructures contract for nothing if he's fired with cause. Lets him finish on his terms, but if more comes out, university is protected financially.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

jajoyce wrote:
NYCat wrote:

Wonder why ABOR is this heavily involved then? If Arizona decides to sue ESPN or something, does that have to go through ABOR? Could ABOR be discussing adjusting the terms of CSM contract to possibly be year to year as everyone waits to see what comes out of this investigation?

Oh yeah, #FreeZO
This makes sense, and frankly I don't know why they are looking at it at all unless Heeke has asked for their input. Which would be really weak.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

You know, at this point, I just hope our guys clinch the Pac title decisively this week, for Coach.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

My guess is Robbins want to pay Miller less money so they can protect themselves with the money.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Anybody in here got some last minute money? Maybe we can all donate a piece and vote on a spokesperson to get BearDownWildcats.com a seat at the table lol
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

btfd16 wrote:
btfd16 wrote:Clear violation from Hansen regarding the Star's Code of Ethics. Not even getting in to the Sources section.
We strive for fairness and accuracy. Quick action is required in making corrections — both ethically and legally. All corrections requests, no matter how trivial, must be discussed with an editor. Every complaining party must get a response, regardless of whether we publish a correction or clarification. If we have given our readers a wrong impression about the reasonable view of a principal of a story, there may be need for a clarification. Every effort should be made to set the record straight, not just to correct errors of fact.
Fabrication Deceiving readers by fabrication is prohibited. Care must be taken in retelling events so that it is clear to the reader that the event was not witnessed firsthand. Fabrications in non-news stories, such as columns and features, must be obvious to the reader. Fabrication also includes representing yourself as other than representing the Star or StarNet.

Hello,

In your article titled above, it says that Hansen tweeted a correction and an apology. An apology was never tweeted. More specifically, the tweet states: "To be clear, Book Richardson did not speak to me about anything. He is under instructions not to speak to any media. I did not attempt to speak to him, either."

No apology to Sean Miller for making the story up. No apology to Book for making the source up. No apology to the fans for flat out lying to them. Not once is there an "I'm sorry". This sentence in the article, like Greg, is lying.

He is also in clear violation of the ADS Code of Ethics policy, specifically the "Fabrication" section. If there are no repercussions, where is the integrity of the ADS that it's employees are not required to abide by it's own Code of Ethics?
Take to the Star's twitter with the Hansen stuff too folks. He's already getting shitted on there a bit so theres tons of momentum on that platform. More eyes see a tweet than a letter, and your words can be retweeted and liked for more to see. Also, use hashtags that will get a big following outside of our fan base/your followers (eg #seanmiller, NCAA scandal, or whatever is trending that is somewhat related). People worldwide are sick of this shit and sick of ESPN.

Do the same on facebook. Find any Daily Star articles on your timeline, even if its an article about puppies, and demand action. Doesnt matter if it's sports, journalistic integrity is important to everyone. Motivate, spread the word. Tie up their phone lines complaining while organzing your work desk or doing thinkless work. Hit them on multiple platforms.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

btfd16 wrote: Anybody in here got some last minute money? Maybe we can all donate a piece and vote on a spokesperson to get BearDownWildcats.com a seat at the table lol
Tonight, so unless they decide super late Wednesday night this could possibly stretch into Thursday
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

So no news is good news tonight. Have to think the boosters will want to keep Miller.

If the above about the ABOR is true they maybe looking to make an amendment to protect themselves to Miller's deal
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

btfd16 wrote: Anybody in here got some last minute money? Maybe we can all donate a piece and vote on a spokesperson to get BearDownWildcats.com a seat at the table lol
Fire up the UBER tracker, grab some Sonic Ear Headphones (https://www.amazon.com/SuperEar-SE5000- ... B017ZQ68HK) and lets find out what is going on. We can get Sheer on it.

Anyone have any connections to high-end restaurants? Sullivan's etc? I sure as hell don't think they are eating at the Union.
Last edited by jajoyce on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Gordo's 2.0
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

The booster's have been the one's oiling this machine

Genuinely wonder what their perception of CSM is?

Seems like he's done an excellent job of utilizing what they have to offer, though I have no idea how his relationship is with them
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

rgdeuce wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

Hello,

Take to the Star's twitter with the Hansen stuff too folks. He's already getting shitted on there a bit so theres tons of momentum on that platform. More eyes see a tweet than a letter, and your words can be retweeted and liked for more to see. Also, use hashtags that will get a big following outside of our fan base/your followers (eg #seanmiller, NCAA scandal, or whatever is trending that is somewhat related). People worldwide are sick of this shit and sick of ESPN.

Do the same on facebook. Find any Daily Star articles on your timeline, even if its an article about puppies, and demand action. Doesnt matter if it's sports, journalistic integrity is important to everyone. Motivate, spread the word. Tie up their phone lines complaining while organzing your work desk or doing thinkless work. Hit them on multiple platforms.
Exactly! I have been doing that as well. That was an electronic letter so it was easy and in addition to my tweets shitting on Hansen. I use my real name on twitter though so I didn't share those.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

PHXCATS wrote:So no news is good news tonight. Have to think the boosters will want to keep Miller.

If the above about the ABOR is true they maybe looking to make an amendment to protect themselves to Miller's deal
Firing him without cause if anything else comes up and not have to pay him anything is my guess.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Yes, reading what is being dropped the choice appears to be Miller or the program regarding what potential land mines are out there...or if you litigate, what parts of the well oiled marchine could be revealed thus crippling our program well into the future.

Jeez if those are the stakes I have to begrudgingly go with saving the program.

Glad I don’t have to make this decision.
To follow what stevekerrsstroke is saying:

If there are boosters involved at this point, that I can’t reiterate enough that this is the decision:

Miller or Program.

I get the sentimentality of having Miller coach his team and am cheering like hell for that to happen then ride off into the sunset, but i can totally see some boosters being reluctant and would rather cut bait and shore up Arizona in the changing NCAA landscape.

I’m not an insider in any way but this appears to be the choice at hand. Certainly if they can keep Miller and limit the risk to the program and the machine they certainly will advocate for that route.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

Since I have nothing to do but wait for more news, here is my guess about what might have happened to get Miller and UA in this pickle:

Dawkins did indeed have a conversation with Miller in 2016 in which Dawkins suggested money could change hands with regards to Ayton (or Bowen per Hansen and the Guy who Rhymes or doesn't with Look). And Miller in response told him to f*ck off and not to contact any of his coaching staff about money ever again.

The wire therefore exists but the leak to ESPN was designed to mislead the reporter, who ran with his unsubstantiated source (likely Dawkins' lawyer so what's not to trust?) The conversation in context would instead "vindicate" Miller.

Hence the bit in the 247 report: "Sources with knowledge of the conversations that took place on the wiretaps have maintained to 247Sports that the actual content of the tapes would exonerate Arizona's embattled coach from ESPN's report. Those tapes may never be released as they are under a federal seal."

Remember also Dawkins' internal e-mail referenced in Book's indictment that Miller was pissed at Dawkins over some past event (like Miller knew the guy is a scumbag) so Dawkins is trying to approach Book and Pasternak and get "in" with them instead of Miller. I doubt Miller or Pasternak had anything to do with a low level self promoting hustler like Dawkins. Too bad Book apparently did get involved and ESPN (with the help of Dawkin's lawyer) made sure the dominoes kept falling.

Just some speculation while waiting.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Would Miller put up that "bonus" money (or some) he got for staying around as collateral?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I have told my wife the same thing for 5 straight mornings “welp, Miller’s prob gonna get the ax today...”

Tomorrow morning she’s going to hit me with the frying pan.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Olsondogg wrote:I have told my wife the same thing for 5 straight mornings “welp, Miller’s prob gonna get the ax today...”

"“Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.”
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Olsondogg wrote:I have told my wife the same thing for 5 straight mornings “welp, Miller’s prob gonna get the ax today...”

yep. when i go into my wailing spiel for the 6th day in a row tonight while she's trying to get something productive done....well the look i'm going to get could burn me up on the spot.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

I wonder if Heeke puts out the "Wildcat Wednesday" email with zero updates. Lets be honest, no one is receiving/reading that email because they care about when the next upcoming track and field meet is.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

NYCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:So no news is good news tonight. Have to think the boosters will want to keep Miller.

Firing him without cause if anything else comes up and not have to pay him anything is my guess.
Thats not the ABOR call though. They can recommend that but Robbins doesnt have to
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

jajoyce wrote:I wonder if Heeke puts out the "Wildcat Wednesday" email with zero updates. Lets be honest, no one is receiving/reading that email because they care about when the next upcoming track and field meet is.
good point. it usually comes out in about 2 hours.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I just don’t see it as a Miller vs. Program decision at this point. What’s done is done. Nothing new is coming out of the pile of September.

It’s Robbins/Heeke vs. Their own nerve.

Miller should be on that sideline.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

atlantakat wrote:Since I have nothing to do but wait for more news, here is my guess about what might have happened to get Miller and UA in this pickle:

Dawkins did indeed have a conversation with Miller in 2016 in which Dawkins suggested money could change hands with regards to Ayton (or Bowen per Hansen and the Guy who Rhymes or doesn't with Look). And Miller in response told him to f*ck off and not to contact any of his coaching staff about money ever again.

The wire therefore exists but the leak to ESPN was designed to mislead the reporter, who ran with his unsubstantiated source (likely Dawkins' lawyer so what's not to trust?) The conversation in context would instead "vindicate" Miller.

Hence the bit in the 247 report: "Sources with knowledge of the conversations that took place on the wiretaps have maintained to 247Sports that the actual content of the tapes would exonerate Arizona's embattled coach from ESPN's report. Those tapes may never be released as they are under a federal seal."

Remember also Dawkins' internal e-mail referenced in Book's indictment that Miller was pissed at Dawkins over some past event (like Miller knew the guy is a scumbag) so Dawkins is trying to approach Book and Pasternak and get "in" with them instead of Miller. I doubt Miller or Pasternak had anything to do with a low level self promoting hustler like Dawkins. Too bad Book apparently did get involved and ESPN (with the help of Dawkin's lawyer) made sure the dominoes kept falling.

Just some speculation while waiting.
You know, though the pessimism is still looming in my heart, I have drawn up this same theory. This scenario does feel right to me as well. Looking back on how much of a control freak Miller was and unless he was new to the payment game and this was a rookie mistake, I just have a hard time believing he would be this careless to get caught in the way he supposedly did.

We may never find out whats on those tapes but the UA can't take a chance on believing what sources say. I mean we all know how that turned out for Schlabach. Though I believe his fate has been determined, I will still hold out for the positive
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

What is the record in terms of number of folks on this site at any one time and number of posts on one thread in a week compared to now and this thread?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UALoco wrote:What is the record in terms of number of folks on this site at any one time and number of posts on one thread in a week compared to now and this thread?
It's always at the bottom of the "Board Index" page:

Most users ever online was 606 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:19 pm
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

UAEebs86 wrote:
UALoco wrote:What is the record in terms of number of folks on this site at any one time and number of posts on one thread in a week compared to now and this thread?

Thanks, good to know.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

If anyone asked while I’m in my office lot and on my phone a ton this week, I’m going to reply, “I’m concerned about a sick family member in Arizona.”

What do you all think?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UAEebs86 wrote:

I want Trier and Miller to be cleared in the same 15 minutes and 1000 people on this board.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

CalStateTempe wrote:If anyone asked while I’m in my office lot and on my phone a ton this week, I’m going to reply, “I’m concerned about a sick family member in Arizona.”

What do you all think?
Say you have bad gas
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Brilliant then I’ll totally be left alone!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Side note, 5 most favorite MIller-era moments?

No easy buckets

Rondae Shimmy in PAC 12 tourney after dunk

Rick Flair locker room Shimmy

Time out vs. UCLA last tourney

TJ kissing court
I'd have to put beating Duke in the Sweet 16 up there
Much like that game I’m looking forward to Sean dunking all over the Duke/ESPN axis of east coast bias in the second half of this mess.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Jefe wrote:
This is getting more and more national attention it seems hourly. The question is will it be too little too late?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Dan Patrick suggesting that Sean Miller and the school go after ESPN for damages if this story falls apart...

We know the story falls apart, it seems to me it's just a matter of ti before Sean Miller is on a beach with buckets of money from the "Mother ship" as Patrick refers to them...

This would explain the "no retraction" thing and the cone of silence on Mark Schlabach.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:

One way or another, that date will live in infamy.
SteveKerrsStroke

So Medcalf is running the Sean Miller beat now?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... r-contract" target="_blank

Keep taking that L Schlabach
SteveKerrsStroke

On second thought, it makes sense that an actual college basketball writer is covering college basketball
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

NYCat wrote:
Accept less money as a baseline for damages in a lawsuit against ESPN. That's why. "I had not choice but to take less money or be fired."
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Dan Patrick suggesting that Sean Miller and the school go after ESPN for damages if this story falls apart...

We know the story falls apart, it seems to me it's just a matter of ti before Sean Miller is on a beach with buckets of money from the "Mother ship" as Patrick refers to them...

This would explain the "no retraction" thing and the cone of silence on Mark Schlabach.
Guess I have to stop making jokes about how all DP does is talk about the last time he hung out with Adam Sandler now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SteveKerrsStroke wrote:So Medcalf is running the Sean Miller beat now?

Funny how no mention of any other criticism or controversy regarding the original Schlabach report.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Funny how no mention of any other criticism or controversy regarding the original Schlabach report.
Because he's got his boy's back.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

He's in Tucson currently