Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Sean Miller

Post by rgdeuce »

GTownCat wrote:Man, has it been an obvious whirlwind the past week or so... Just wanted to quickly introduce myself and get in on this madness (it is march now...). Apologies if this the wrong place, but I had to get the emotions of my chest.

I'm a Phx native, born & raised in Glendale, UA alum, now finishing up grad school in SoCal. I grew up an avid bball fan, having played in highschool as well, and growing up the cats were ALWAYS on TV (fox sports if i remember mostly). I just felt like every time i turned on the TV, there was jason gardner starting the break. I fell in love with the team. The culture. My "hometown" team. Continuing to follow them, I remember the heartbreak in '03, then in '05, and when lute retired. I remember wanting Jamelle Horne's shot to fall, I remember being ecstatic when AG committed, and feeling empty as fu** when Ashley broke his foot. I remember the offensive "foul", all the slow starts, "he touched the ball", the shimmy dunk. It all came back to me in a big dose today, and it started with that press conference, and listening to CSM. It's alsmost as if a "reset" button was hit, how long this new phase will last, who knows, but I'm just glad he gets to lead THIS team again, with the talent we have.

The passion in which CSM spoke about wanting to just get back and do what he does best, be around the kids, win another Pac-12 championship, just lit a fire underneath me and i feel sooooooooo pumped.

It feels like we got the leader of the rebellion back....... and now it's time to wreak havoc and blow up the damn Death Star.

BearDown
Think yesterday's events made all of us feel like we could bend steel with our bare hands. Welcome to the board!
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

btfd16 wrote:Where you at now fuck boy Trey Mason
From what I can tell, he has deleted the post disparaging CSM. I nominate this Trey Mason person as the most jackass of former UA BB players. (although Jerrett deserves honorable mention for his "pit stop" quote.

(btw; rather belatedly stated- WELCOME BACK COACH! Loved seeing you back on the sidelines last night)
pdx123

Post by pdx123 »

rgdeuce wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:Of course ESPN will double down, this drama is getting ratings and headlines. You don't think they want that? That's how fake news works.

Also, SVP had an interesting take. Somewhat complimentary of Miller as a fan, saying you have the report and you have Miller, both can't be true, and I don't know what to believe.

Better believe this. Inside the halls of ESPN, there is a debate between them all, who do they believe, Miller or Frustrated Golfer? Deep down, you know they believe Miller and this will strain a ton of relationships internally there.

Good.

I don't know how you can't question Schlabach's version. It's an unnamed source. The timeline has been adjusted and re-adjusted multiple times. Yet they have blind faith in the source? Or blind faith in Schalabach?

I'm still going with following orders from the powers that be at ESPN. They dont give an F about that dickhead journalist and ESPN could easily just shitcan him and throw him to the wolves and a lot of that would have gone away. This isnt a Kenny Mayne, Chris Berman level dude, he means nothing to them. Relentless attack, multiple amendments to find any version possible that could not be instantly debunked and discredited, the timing. Seems to me ESPN has a hit out for Miller, for whatever reason that may be...

This. They are toeing the company line, to hell with any sort of integrity. I have way more faith in the opinions espoused by those on this board that are led by passion --for or against Miller-- than by whatever ESPN and it's paid mercenaries are spewing.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Will be interesting how they discuss this on GameDay tomorrow
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Will be interesting how they discuss this on GameDay tomorrow
I mean is there any going back from calling Sean Miller a crook?
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Will be interesting how they discuss this on GameDay tomorrow
I was thinking the same thing. Are they at Duke tomorrow?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I mean is there any going back from calling Sean Miller a crook?
Lol. I know really.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So I was thinking about the GOAT rapper's lyrics today. This one occurred to me about Sean Miller:

Five shots couldn't drop me, I took it and smiled
Now I'm back to set the record straight
I'm still the thug that you love to hate
Mothef***er, I hit 'em up

It's appropriate ESPN is on the East Coast and that Arizona wears red.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UAtrue wrote:
From what I can tell, he has deleted the post disparaging CSM. I nominate this Trey Mason person as the most jackass of former UA BB players. (although Jerrett deserves honorable mention for his "pit stop" quote.

(btw; rather belatedly stated- WELCOME BACK COACH! Loved seeing you back on the sidelines last night)

Agree.

I can't imagine how incredibly hard it would be to play with a guy who (allegedly) sexually assaulted your sister.

That being said, Trey Mason shows absolutely no understanding for what a tough situation Coach Miller was in, and has shown a lack of class ever since.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Bilas has already said or asked why Miller just didn't say this last Saturday and took his leave for the week. They will stand by the report and for the life of me I just can't see (well I can because it would cost them on an Ayton suit) why they go with the, "he must have been talking about Bowen and not Ayton".

When it all comes out and Miller is on the tape telling his Dawkins guy we will not pay for Bowen and to get lost they will puff their chest and say, "see we were correct an Miller was on that tape" while missing the bigger wrong.

The landscape of college bball is going to change so those at ESPN might as well change with it. #firedukievitale
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
prh

Post by prh »

UAtrue wrote:

Ha I called him the most bitter a week ago and that wasn't well received by some. But I fully agree.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

IrishAzCat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:I bet Hansen is catching tons of shit around Tucson. I'm sure there's a decent cadre of people who want Miller gone. They were the same people who bitched about Lute.
I still can't believe he went on a radio show and made up a story - he must really hate Miller...
I still haven't forgiven Hansen for how poorly he treated Lute. On that end, he has partially redeemed himself by the past few years keeping a positive tone in his stories about Lute, but he was a total dick when things were getting dramatic in Lute's last few years of coaching. He then also jumped to conclusions back then and wrote some pretty bad stuff.

I think he needs to go. Jumping on the anti-Sean bandwagon because of an unsubstantiated story by ESPN is extremely poor judgement. The ESPN story sounds like extremely poor reporting, yet he just jumped on the anti-Sean bandwagon. The anti-Sean bias of ESPN has always been obvious. I wonder if Hansen will ever apologize for this.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Can you imagine if Trier and/or Rawle left and Bowen came
Last edited by NYCat on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAtrue wrote:
btfd16 wrote:I nominate this Trey Mason person as the most jackass of former UA BB players.
Read this, and you might feel otherwise.

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Boar ... y-54177023" target="_blank
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

azcat49 wrote:Bilas has already said or asked why Miller just didn't say this last Saturday and took his leave for the week. They will stand by the report and for the life of me I just can't see (well I can because it would cost them on an Ayton suit) why they go with the, "he must have been talking about Bowen and not Ayton".

When it all comes out and Miller is on the tape telling his Dawkins guy we will not pay for Bowen and to get lost they will puff their chest and say, "see we were correct an Miller was on that tape" while missing the bigger wrong.

The landscape of college bball is going to change so those at ESPN might as well change with it. #firedukievitale

This is exactly the problem and the bigger wrong is in essence the most dangerous type of lie that the media tells. It has nothing to do with something being "fake news" because it doesn't support my viewpoint or my coach or my narrative - whatever that may be. What is dangerous is what a "true" report taken completely out of context can do to people, their careers and their families. There is no recourse for it of course because often times these awful misconstructions of fact involve public figures and end up being true in a context that the purveyor can defend and claim everyone else drew the false conclusion. This is a direct result, IMO, not so much of narrative chasing as it is the fact that dollars are driven by clicks now and not by units sold. People generally want quality when they are parting with money for something, but when all the media is trying to do is go viral, quality is tossed out the door as fast as needed to drive clicks and views.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Consider...Sean Miller got Pres. Robbins and AD Heeke on his side. Heeke walked into a dumpster fire, and has not had a cozy relationship with Miller. Robbins knew his support of Miller could backfire.

Robbins and Heeke got recruited by Sean Miller. It was truth, but he was passionate, prepared, and convincing.

THAT is why he wins in living rooms and gyms across America. When he puts his attention on you, and he has truth (he didn't say what was reported, we are a program that can prepare you for the next level)...he can make you run through a wall for him.

Players get money from boosters. Everywhere. The player who comes here who is a 5* and has a hand out was going to get the money from the last 8 or 5 he named as his choices. The money (allegedly) is not the decision maker, except in rare cases where an agent is actually paying the player to go somewhere for something in return.

Sean Miller closes players because of the laser focus and passion he closed Heeke and Robbins with. Not a bad thing at all...he didn't sell them a bad situation. He sold them on him and his program. And there are few ADs/Presidents that would have supported Sean. But something has to be said for Miller's passion in selling them on the idea of both his innocence and his continued employment, because they were not connected.

97Cats referenced this process drawing the two sides closer. I bet. Heeke, again, walked into a mess. A mess partially caused by Sean's loyalty to Book. Heeke's AD tenure has been one fire after another, set by the guy who walked away. He did not like RichRod. I doubt he disliked Miller, but Miller isn't warm and fuzzy, and I bet it was more like a cold, professional relationship. Miller doesn't seem like the kind of guy to be managed during a crisis. But this fire drill caused the dialogue to open up wide, probably encompass a lot more than this wire tap, and Heeke and his boss were sold.

That's impressive
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

His laser focus was definitely on display in that presser.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
UAtrue wrote:
btfd16 wrote:I nominate this Trey Mason person as the most jackass of former UA BB players.

I know the real story and I don't feel otherwise at all.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I hate giving them views but ESPN Outside the Lines is on Miller right now
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
UAtrue wrote:

I know the real story and I don't feel otherwise at all.
I do appreciate you bringing that up. Don't care to know the details, but if you say that's not the case, that's good enough for me. I withdraw my comment!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

PHXCATS wrote:I hate giving them views but ESPN Outside the Lines is on Miller right now
Just a bunch of BS that they believe the report still and us fans believe Miller but Miller was scared and that shit. A waste of time. FUCK ESPN
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PHXCATS wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I hate giving them views but ESPN Outside the Lines is on Miller right now
Just a bunch of BS that they believe the report still and us fans believe Miller but Miller was scared and that shit. A waste of time. FUCK ESPN
Why does it make sense for them to continue to believe the report when the re-revised 2017 date of the calls concern a named player who was already committed to Arizona?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Longhorned wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Why does it make sense for them to continue to believe the report when the re-revised 2017 date of the calls concern a named player who was already committed to Arizona?
Hint: drama, scandal, controversy sells. Something juicy to talk about, debate = more eyeballs, viewers, opinions = ad revenue
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

My videos of last night can't compare to those posted above...but I enjoyed watching Robbins walk entirely around the court to speak to Amy at halftime. Talked for about 5-10 minutes, several hugs at the end of the conversation...it looked like Robbins had a ton to say.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I still am in shock and pissed that Greg Byrne had the audacity to show up to that game.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Olsondogg wrote:My videos of last night can't compare to those posted above...but I enjoyed watching Robbins walk entirely around the court to speak to Amy at halftime. Talked for about 5-10 minutes, several hugs at the end of the conversation...it looked like Robbins had a ton to say.
Thanks for posting this Odogg, I’ve been wondering how Amy and family have been holding up. It must have been hell...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

btfd16 wrote:I still am in shock and pissed that Greg Byrne had the audacity to show up to that game.

Cant' tell if serious.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:My videos of last night can't compare to those posted above...but I enjoyed watching Robbins walk entirely around the court to speak to Amy at halftime. Talked for about 5-10 minutes, several hugs at the end of the conversation...it looked like Robbins had a ton to say.
Thanks for posting this Odogg, I’ve been wondering how Amy and family have been holding up. It must have been hell...
She was there on a couple rows behind the bench with her son.

Also, wanna know how I knew things were bad?

Amy followed yours truly on Twitter until she deleted her account...
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

The ESPN story is very simple to me, Schlabach didn't listen to the 'alleged' wire recording. He is trusting his source(s) that what is on the tape is legitimate. Keep in mind, we're talking about a 24 year old agent runner. I wouldn't imagine he is very trustworthy.

Random question: whatever happened to ACE? I wonder if the Feds shut down his site.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

SabinoDrifter wrote:The ESPN story is very simple to me, Schlabach didn't listen to the 'alleged' wire recording. He is trusting his source(s) that what is on the tape is legitimate. Keep in mind, we're talking about a 24 year old agent runner. I wouldn't imagine he is very trustworthy.

Random question: whatever happened to ACE? I wonder if the Feds shut down his site.
Ace died a mysterious death and now he's dead. And he just has to live with that.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Olsondogg wrote:
btfd16 wrote:I still am in shock and pissed that Greg Byrne had the audacity to show up to that game.

Cant' tell if serious.
Serious. Fuck that guy. He defines "lack of institutional control".
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The report was:

“Sources close to the investigation say...”

That’s super easy to believe. I also believe that sources close to the investigation say stuff.

BUT DO THEY BELIEVE THOSE SOURCES?

Bet they won’t answer that. I sure fucking don’t. And I sure as hell don’t think they should have rushed out that article without confirming even the most basic of facts.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

btfd16 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

Cant' tell if serious.
Source? I sincerely doubt that is true at all.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Olsondogg wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

Cant' tell if serious.
Source? I sincerely doubt that is true at all.
Christopher Boan for Az Desert Swarm tweeted it (it is now deleted). Maybe it was a joke for a guy that looked like GB. Said something along the lines of "Greg Byrne is in the house tonight with an Arizona pullover" and it was the back of a guy's head that looked an awful lot like Byrne around his family under in the tunnels. Maybe it was a joke.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Zero chance he was there. Ridiculous to say otherwise.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Several media people picked it up on twitter. Most likely a bad joke.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Olsondogg wrote:Zero chance he was there. Ridiculous to say otherwise.
I saw it on Twitter last night but only one source. I highly doubt it too. Was either a joke or a mistake on timing. I guess it is deleted now
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I didn’t think it really looked like Byrne. Too short.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Chicat wrote:The report was:

“Sources close to the investigation say...”

That’s super easy to believe. I also believe that sources close to the investigation say stuff.

BUT DO THEY BELIEVE THOSE SOURCES?

Bet they won’t answer that. I sure fucking don’t. And I sure as hell don’t think they should have rushed out that article without confirming even the most basic of facts.
Has anyone talked about the 20 programs implicated in the Yahoo! report since the Miller report came out roughly 2 hours after?

Is it crazy to think there was a good source, maybe even a very good source, who was directed to deflect from the real scandal and Yahoo! report?

IT IS ENTIRELY POSSIBLE THAT MARK FRUSTRATED GOLFER WAS USED AS A PAWN.

Sorry for the caps, but that's his and ESPNs only saving grace at this point. They were mere pawns in the game of deflection.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Shlabach says it's true. He has solid sources
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Amy was there, Lute was there, as was Ryan Anderson.

PJC's dad was dancing. That's about all I saw.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m getting so much work done today!!!!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

One note about Jay Bilas. I was struck at first about how hard he went into Miller a week ago, and about how he's defending himself and ESPN's reporting now...

Then I realized...he's a lawyer and clearly thinks that what he said was about a public figure and can be said without retribution, and he also knows how college basketball operates and is betting that even if a lawsuit is filed against ESPN, the discovery of that litigation is too scary for Arizona/Miller to proceed.

So really he feels safe saying whatever he wants, no matter how ridiculous.

I'm actually kinda sad over this because Bilas was one of the last analysts that I actually respected.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Longhorned wrote:
SabinoDrifter wrote:The ESPN story is very simple to me, Schlabach didn't listen to the 'alleged' wire recording. He is trusting his source(s) that what is on the tape is legitimate. Keep in mind, we're talking about a 24 year old agent runner. I wouldn't imagine he is very trustworthy.

Ace died a mysterious death and now he's dead. And he just has to live with that.
Not to mention was fired from ASM for stealing 40k from clients. Miller may have to testify so would make sense to try and ruin a good reputation
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Alieberman wrote:Shlabach says it's true. He has a solid source
fify
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:So I was thinking about the GOAT rapper's lyrics today. This one occurred to me about Sean Miller:

Five shots couldn't drop me, I took it and smiled
Now I'm back to set the record straight
I'm still the thug that you love to hate
Mothef***er, I hit 'em up

It's appropriate ESPN is on the East Coast and that Arizona wears red.
I always have way too much fun when we do these :lol:

Arizona vs ASU? You tell me who won?
I see Bobby, he runs, ha ha
ASU dont wanna see us
Whole "Guard U" bullshit, look at them tryin to be us
How the f-ck they gonna be Guard U when none of them gonna have NBA jobs?
Our ex-players are millionaires
Top 5 classes every year aint fair, but somebody else besides Calipari gotta do it
Oh yeah, Daily Star, you wanna f-ck with us?
Non-athletic ass motherf-ckers, arent one of you from Utah or somethin?
You mess with me, you f-ck around and get excommunicated from the mormon church and Tucson
You better back the f-ck up before you get smacked the f-ck up
This is how we do it at Arizona
Any of you ESPN clowns wanna bring it, bring it
Book may be singin but we bringin drama, f-ck Schlabach and his motherf-ckin mama
We winning a national title motherf-ckers
Now when I came out I told you I didn't pay Deandre
Then everybody had to open their mouth with a motherf_ckin opinion
Well, this is how we gonna do this: f-ck Schlabach, f-ck Dicky V
F-ck ESPN as a staff, television station and a motherf-ckin crew
And if you wanna be down with ESPN, f-ck you too
Jay Bilas, f-ck you too. All you Bristol motherf-ckers, f-ck you too.
All of yall motherf-ckers, hope your careers die slow
Motherf-cker, we goin to the final fo'
You motherf-ckers cant be us or see us
We motherf-ckin Wildcats, westside til we die
Out here in Arizona we'll dunk on you motherf-ckers. We do our job.
You think you the mob? We are the motherf-ckin mob
Aint nothin but shooters and real packline defenders, even Bobby Hurley feels us
Our boy Ayton goes triple and quadruple double
You clowns laugh cause your staff got awards under their motherf-ckin belts
You know how it is, when Trier dunks the McKale crowd is felt
You bitches cant feel it, we the realest
F-ck em, we ESPN killas
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

Olsondogg wrote:One note about Jay Bilas. I was struck at first about how hard he went into Miller a week ago, and about how he's defending himself and ESPN's reporting now...

Then I realized...he's a lawyer and clearly thinks that what he said was about a public figure and can be said without retribution, and he also knows how college basketball operates and is betting that even if a lawsuit is filed against ESPN, the discovery of that litigation is too scary for Arizona/Miller to proceed.

I'm actually kinda sad over this because Bilas was one of the last analysts that I actually respected.
Me too. Bilas was one of the few guys left that I actually enjoyed listening to during a game because he provided actual insight. Most guys just drone on about fluff...Ayton is from the Bahamas, Rawle just got his driver's license, blah blah, blah. That's one of the reasons I don't mind Walton's call of games. He drones on and on, but about who the fuck knows...instead of the standard, rehashed fluff that most talk about.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

phenom5 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:One note about Jay Bilas. I was struck at first about how hard he went into Miller a week ago, and about how he's defending himself and ESPN's reporting now...

Me too. Bilas was one of the few guys left that I actually enjoyed listening to during a game because he provided actual insight. Most guys just drone on about fluff...Ayton is from the Bahamas, Rawle just got his driver's license, blah blah, blah. That's one of the reasons I don't mind Walton's call of games. He drones on and on, but about who the fuck knows...instead of the standard, rehashed fluff that most talk about.
Which is why I posted how surprise I was about not only his initial reaction but his follow up. I think many who follow CBB can put their Dook hate aside and respect the guy even though he can come off as cocky sometimes.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Schlabach's source is about as 'solid' as Vitale's stools.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of