Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Newportcat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:Haha, holy shit. Completely missed that. Not a good look for ol’ Chicat.

Sorry Newport! Great minds think alike I guess, even if mine is much slower. Probably too much bong resin clouding up the synapses.
Completely missed it...sure...and Neil Armstrong really walked on the moon

I asked for the large cappuccino....HELLO
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Video is blocked for me because I’m on my company’s wi-fi but I should have noticed the gif.

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:Video is blocked for me because I’m on my company’s wi-fi but I should have noticed the gif.

So now your company is on this conspiracy too....How far does this go Chicat....

Getting back on Topic, Coach K forced Pitt to hire Jeff Capel

prh

Post by prh »

All you doubters are idiots. Clearly, K and Roy forced Louisville to hire Mack, so that Xavier would then hire Miller. How could you all miss that?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Miller to Xavier is a done deal, right Bosy? Bosy is so absolutely sure it will go down that he is only asking for 10 - 1 odds.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

BBQ wildcat wrote:Miller to Xavier is a done deal, right Bosy? Bosy is so absolutely sure it will go down that he is only asking for 10 - 1 odds.
I am beginning to think we need to thank Nick Saban for Coach Sumlin
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Chicat wrote:Haha, holy shit. Completely missed that. Not a good look for ol’ Chicat.

Sorry Newport! Great minds think alike I guess, even if mine is much slower. Probably too much bong resin clouding up the synapses.
:lol: i have the same problem
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

prh wrote:All you doubters are idiots. Clearly, K and Roy forced Louisville to hire Mack, so that Xavier would then hire Miller. How could you all miss that?
My guy “Look” said the eagle has landed.

Am I doing this right?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:
prh wrote:All you doubters are idiots. Clearly, K and Roy forced Louisville to hire Mack, so that Xavier would then hire Miller. How could you all miss that?

Am I doing this right?
Until Alex Jones weighs in I'm not rushing to judgement.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Am I doing this right?
I once wrote “I *heart* Sean Miller” in chem trails. True story.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Am I doing this right?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

azgreg wrote:
and only one of those coaches has never been to a Final Four

#debbiedowner
cats101

Post by cats101 »

3 actually but carry along..
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

cats101 wrote:3 actually but carry along..
To be fair he only missed LeVelle Moton, because of the way it was formatted likely. Every other coach not named Sean Miller on that list has made the Final Four including Mike Davis.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Actually two.

Wright and Calipari have won NCs.

Few and Davis have been to title game.

Only Miller and Moton haven't been to the FF.

EDIT: Choo beat me to it.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
To be fair he only missed LeVelle Moton, because of the way it was formatted likely. Every other coach not named Sean Miller on that list has made the Final Four including Mike Davis.
correct i didnt see that - my bad
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

Hey the way I see it is this last season will be the one with the craziest ups and downs we've ever had. We burned out in the first round of the NCAA tourney. We won the pac reg season/tourney. We had book get arrested. We had Miller/Ayton linked to wire taps. F, the world was coming down. Trier gets held out. But holy shit. I'll never forget how much the UA alumni/fans rallied around the program/the school/Miller when chips were down. It was amazing to see. Everyone was bearing the F down. Even though it was ultimately a shitty season in terms of the tourney, my God did UA bball fans show their true colors. Even though the future is kind of unclear, and some of us are divided in the direction - we all won a victory this year and one I'll never forget. And ultimately isn't that what matters? BTFD.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Some takes on here that Millers loyalty to PJC is to be frowned upon is SMFH. That's loyalty to a player and developing him, not moving on all your promises because win win win is all that matters. Other PGs didn't step up either (Hi Alonzo, Where art thou Kobi). This may be the reason why we get BW.

BTW, Gotlieb is at it again
There may not be a more opportunistic dood in cbb media
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

azgreg wrote:
I don't think the question is whether Miller is a great coach - I think he is. The question is does he cheat? I think where there is smoke there is fire. Do you reward that with letting him be the face of your program?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

enfuego wrote:
azgreg wrote:
I don't think the question is whether Miller is a great coach - I think he is. The question is does he cheat? I think where there is smoke there is fire. Do you reward that with letting him be the face of your program?
Since there has been zero evidence showed that he cheats I'm fine with him staying for as long as he and his bosses want.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Paging Bosy.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Think this stops the coaching carousel for now. No other big vacancies expected. Right?
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

enfuego wrote:
azgreg wrote:
I know I won't be popular for agreeing with Enfuego but I agree with this post. Right now it's about image and if Miller knows he did nothing wrong then there's nothing for him to worry about. Unfortunately a black cloud hovers over the program and will for a long time. Luring recruits has already become an arduous endeavor coupled with the predictable decommits. I can assure you Brandon Williams is not coming to Arizona and it's not because it's not a great program with a great coach. It's because it's a mismanaged program in my opinion and it's led a myriad of skepticsim that will hurt us for a very long time. I don't want to say Miller should step down especially if he's innocent but I, like so many other people have a hard time believing he didn't know anything. At this moment I think a new coach and a new start might be the wiser course of action moving forward. And congratulations Enfuego on Kansas making the Final Four. I give credit where credit where credit is due. Bill Self has done an amazing job.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:
azgreg wrote:
If he negotiated $100,000 for Ayton, he's about the cleanest coach in the nation. I'm pretty sure KU offered Ayton more than 100k.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
enfuego wrote:
azgreg wrote:
If he negotiated $100,000 for Ayton, he's about the cleanest coach in the nation. I'm pretty sure KU offered Ayton more than 100k.
Arizona and KU probably both offered Ayton the same amount of $$, it's just why spend your brief college career in Lawrence with that campus and those women when you could be in Tucson with our coeds.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Nike and Adidas probably both offered Ayton the same amount of $$, it's just why spend your brief college career in Lawrence with that campus and those women when you could be in Tucson with our coeds.
Fixed it for you.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

In a few more years, I think the Aytons and Bagleys of the world are no longer going to be college athletes, not if the NBA G-League continues to gain steam and present an even more attractive option. It's also possible the age rule goes away and opens the flood gates for preps to go right to the NBA again.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Beachcat97 wrote:In a few more years, I think the Aytons and Bagleys of the world are no longer going to be college athletes, not if the NBA G-League continues to gain steam and present an even more attractive option. It's also possible the age rule goes away and opens the flood gates for preps to go right to the NBA again.
I remember, in the past, I didn't like the idea of high school students going pro right out of high school. But now I've changed my mind. I think the college game will be far better. One of my favorite reasons to watch college basketball is observing how players develop over time. Put in a rule like football where if you sign a LOI you must stay 3 years in college.

Basketball players who don't want to go to college don't have to go. And people who like school and want to work on their skills have a place to go. I think it is win-win.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Catintheheat wrote:Basketball players who don't want to go to college don't have to go. And people who like school and want to work on their skills have a place to go. I think it is win-win.
Yep. I don't think there should be any barriers to these players' ambitions and opportunities. If an NBA team will draft them out of HS, that's exactly what they should do. The NBA can provide a social service by offering counseling to players and their families, educating them about the business of the NBA and encouraging them to prepare for *any* outcome at the draft. Give the players all the info they need to have, and then let them make their own decisions.

But...if they do choose college, they've gotta be accountable. College means forgoing (or just delaying) being a pro. The current system allows pro interests to infect and interfere with college sports. It's not working.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:Basketball players who don't want to go to college don't have to go. And people who like school and want to work on their skills have a place to go. I think it is win-win.
Yep. I don't think there should be any barriers to these players' ambitions and opportunities. If an NBA team will draft them out of HS, that's exactly what they should do. The NBA can provide a social service by offering counseling to players and their families, educating them about the business of the NBA and encouraging them to prepare for *any* outcome at the draft. Give the players all the info they need to have, and then let them make their own decisions.

But...if they do choose college, they've gotta be accountable. College means forgoing (or just delaying) being a pro. The current system allows pro interests to infect and interfere with college sports. It's not working.
This is spot on.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

BBQ wildcat wrote:Miller to Xavier is a done deal, right Bosy? Bosy is so absolutely sure it will go down that he is only asking for 10 - 1 odds.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
enfuego wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Arizona and KU probably both offered Ayton the same amount of $$, it's just why spend your brief college career in Lawrence with that campus and those women when you could be in Tucson with our coeds.
Kansans are the least attractive people on earth. I think it's the product of inbreeding since no one moves there.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

You know, I'm fed up to the ears with all the bullshit talk about teams paying players to come to a school and how that Miller is just a better cheater than the others...I'm calling it for what it is...BULL FUCKING SHIT...there is no damn evidence of it, and as much as I hate some of the other programs out there, there is no real evidence this is a systemic issue in college basketball...we just all WANT it ti be, but there is little to no real proof that any of this actually happens...

Sure you get the one-offs...and occasionally an NBA player will say some shit about it happening but the truth is we have no real evidence out side of a few investigations of "pay-me-for-access-later"...

The idea that Kansas and other schools offered more for Ayton and we won the bidding war is just fucking hearsay, not a shred of evidence to it at all...

I'm done with it, its moronic and lacks actual proof.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CatFanOneMil wrote:You know, I'm fed up to the ears with all the bullshit talk about teams paying players to come to a school and how that Miller is just a better cheater than the others...I'm calling it for what it is...BULL FUCKING SHIT...there is no damn evidence of it, and as much as I hate some of the other programs out there, there is no real evidence this is a systemic issue in college basketball...we just all WANT it ti be, but there is little to no real proof that any of this actually happens...

Sure you get the one-offs...and occasionally an NBA player will say some shit about it happening but the truth is we have no real evidence out side of a few investigations of "pay-me-for-access-later"...

The idea that Kansas and other schools offered more for Ayton and we won the bidding war is just fucking hearsay, not a shred of evidence to it at all...

So young and innocent and naive....

Everyone cheats. Get over it.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

So miller paid ayton?????? Funny he denies it to the core.go suck schlabcock off!
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

ASUHATER! wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:You know, I'm fed up to the ears with all the bullshit talk about teams paying players to come to a school and how that Miller is just a better cheater than the others...I'm calling it for what it is...BULL FUCKING SHIT...there is no damn evidence of it, and as much as I hate some of the other programs out there, there is no real evidence this is a systemic issue in college basketball...we just all WANT it ti be, but there is little to no real proof that any of this actually happens...

Yea you keep saying this and the proof keeps not being there, its like saying you almost saw bigfoot therefore I should believe.

And for the record I a probably older than you.

My oldest went to UA over 10 years ago.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Yea you keep saying this and the proof keeps not being there, its like saying you almost saw bigfoot therefore I should believe.

Pretty aggressive take to compare college basketball recruits getting paid after the FBI conducted a major investigation with tons of public information on college basketball recruits getting paid to being as unlikely as seeing Bigfoot.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Even if you think players should be getting paid, you should not be okay with paying Ayton to come here. The sanctions could bury this program, especially since we reinstated Miller. Yes, coaches have cheated for years but that doesn't mean it's worth it. No fan base wants to win and vacate. We want to hang the banner with pride. Ask Louisville, Michigan, or UCLA for that matter.

Also, those of you expecting the blue bloods to go down are going to be sorely disappointed. UK, UNC, and Duke don't have to bribe recruits, so don't hold your breath for an ESPN story on Bagley, Barrett, etc. Since we are not on that top echelon, we have to win like Jay Wright at Villanova. Recruit guys who will stay multiple seasons and create a winning culture. I hope Miller understands this now, but it might be too late.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

TatetheGreat wrote:Even if you think players should be getting paid, you should not be okay with paying Ayton to come here. The sanctions could bury this program, especially since we reinstated Miller. Yes, coaches have cheated for years but that doesn't mean it's worth it. No fan base wants to win and vacate. We want to hang the banner with pride. Ask Louisville, Michigan, or UCLA for that matter.

Also, those of you expecting the blue bloods to go down are going to be sorely disappointed. UK, UNC, and Duke don't have to bribe recruits, so don't hold your breath for an ESPN story on Bagley, Barrett, etc. Since we are not on that top echelon, we have to win like Jay Wright at Villanova. Recruit guys who will stay multiple seasons and create a winning culture. I hope Miller understands this now, but it might be too late.
I completely agree with this. And I think it is already too late. Whether Miller is guilty of any wrongdoing? I don't know that. But the perception he's a shady coach is going to be impossible to reverse. Personally I think he should have already stepped down so the program can at least have a chance of rebuilding sooner than later. If he's innocent I like others have said will eat crow. I just don't see any positives coming out of Sean Miller remaining as head coach at this point. I really like Miller but that's irrelevant. I think some careless reporting played into Miller's favor by gaining him leverage from a legal perspective. Otherwise I think he would have already resigned or been fired.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

Here is the thing:

1. I'm tired of the post dominant approach. Give me guards, good guards.
2. I'm tired of the pack-line. Damn if a zone with Ayton and Ristic on the blocks wouldn't have helped against Buffalo.
3. I'm tired of Miller always being so damn uptight and serious. I love Calipari's demeanor. I think the fun rubs off. I want to see our kids having fun again.

I think Miller is a great coach and if he stays at AZ I will be happy. But he needs to change. If we found somebody who was fun, run and gun, good recruiter and coach. It might be good for our program.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So you think Miller is a good coach and want him to stay but you want him to change pretty much everything and if he was fired or quit you think it would be a good thing. Do I have that right?

:lol: :roll:
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Bordercat wrote:Here is the thing:

1. I'm tired of the post dominant approach. Give me guards, good guards.
2. I'm tired of the pack-line. Damn if a zone with Ayton and Ristic on the blocks wouldn't have helped against Buffalo.
3. I'm tired of Miller always being so damn uptight and serious. I love Calipari's demeanor. I think the fun rubs off. I want to see our kids having fun again.

I think Miller is a great coach and if he stays at AZ I will be happy. But he needs to change. If we found somebody who was fun, run and gun, good recruiter and coach. It might be good for our program.
It's the players, not the system. We need more Kevin Parroms. Harlem nastiness. Defense is exciting when executed, smothering, and suffocating. Run & Gun is Steve Alford. No discipline. Let loose, slack on defense, no accountability, requires a coach to look like Randy Travis.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Chicat wrote:So you think Miller is a good coach and want him to stay but you want him to change pretty much everything and if he was fired or quit you think it would be a good thing. Do I have that right?

:lol: :roll:
I don't want everything to change but look what Duke was able to do this year on d.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Teams that occasionally use a zone: Michigan, Kansas, Duke.

And then there’s Syracuse who only uses a zone.

I get the whole “do what we do” thing, but it’s hard to sit idly by, year after year, and watch teams have success in the tourney with zone defense while AZ approaches 20 years without a FF.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Newportcat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Pretty aggressive take to compare college basketball recruits getting paid after the FBI conducted a major investigation with tons of public information on college basketball recruits getting paid to being as unlikely as seeing Bigfoot.
If by "tons" you mean 1 FBI media frenzy, 1 Yahoo Sports article and 1 ESPN completely made up bullshit tweet...lets do the math...

A handful of assistant coaches have been indicted, so far none have pled guilty...another handful of agents/shoe reps have been indicted, so far none have pled guilty...

So far NO student athletes/families have been indicted or even proven to have received money...IIRC TWO players have been suspended pending investigations...

There are currently 347 D1 basketball teams with about 4511 players this year...each team has 13 scholarships...

So out of about 4511 players we have 2 that were suspended and nearly 4500 that were not even mentioned...

Yep I can see how this is a systemic problem and everyone is doing it...my bad.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Teams that occasionally use a zone: Michigan, Kansas, Duke.

I get the whole “do what we do” thing, but it’s hard to sit idly by, year after year, and watch teams have success in the tourney with zone defense while AZ approaches 20 years without a FF.
Well, we did have a packline team in the final four too.

For CatFan1Mil, so far there are recorded statements discussing paying players, spreadsheets detailing how players got paid and emails discussing paying players. You have a public statement from the FBI that 150k is a going rate. Numerous FBI probe players missed games, a season for Brian Bowen. What level of proof would you consider sufficient?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Teams that occasionally use a zone: Michigan, Kansas, Duke.

Well, we did have a packline team in the final four too.

For CatFan1Mil, so far there are recorded statements discussing paying players, spreadsheets detailing how players got paid and emails discussing paying players. You have a public statement from the FBI that 150k is a going rate. Numerous FBI probe players missed games, a season for Brian Bowen. What level of proof would you consider sufficient?
Well first of all the amount of "systemic" needs to be greatly downgraded...Miller said that THE ONE TIME SOMEONE OFFERED MONEY...

Think about THAT...here's a coach at a major basketball school saying that in his experience "play-for-money" has only happened to him once...

Now here's where your bias will manifest, you either believe Miller and believe he is telling the truth or you believe a different narrative based on hearsay and innuendo...

To be clear I have never maintained that the problem does not exist, what I have proposed is that it is NOT systemic and NOT everyone does it, as a matter of fact i am suggesting it is the outlier and happens very rarely.

There are semi-reliable people who claim bigfoot is real, hell Les Stroud has now devoted his career to finding bigfoot and there is more than one series on television devoted to this mystery, but so far the evidence is pretty much in the same category for me as the basketball pay-for-players evidence, it is all speculation until a guilty plea is entered in by a judge and so far both bigfoot and the national college basketball scene has yet to hear the judges gavel decalre that either widespread corruption in buying players or bigfoot is real.