Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:Nova is made up of 4 and 5 star players (mostly 4 star) so its not like they don't have talent. The key is that their best players were guards. Guards win in March.
Not sure this is accurate. Was DiVincenzo even rated coming out of HS?

And Paschal is a transfer from Fordham.
As tucsonsean said DiVincenzo was 4 star. Paschall was a transfer but so was TJ and he was pretty good. Sometimes that happens. The only other guy that logged any minutes and wasn't 4 star or above was Gillespie (3 star). So they had some talented players.
Yeah, Nova has actually pulled some of their strongest recruiting classes lately. Brunson was probably considered the best PG in his class. Some ranking had Briscoe and Thornton above him, but he's obviously substantially outperformed them.

Nova isn't a little engine that could. They're a team with legit talent that has developed very well.
Brunson was Miller's point guard on the USA team he coached. That team wouldn't have been shit without him. He was the unquestioned MVP.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Respect for putting his money where his mouth is.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

So does this mean he's not going to PItt?
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Anyone still think he is guilty? Putting money where his mouth is. I like the move.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Totally. Big ups for Sean Miller.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I still think it's absolute BS that Miller is the only name getting lambasted. He's becoming the face of college hoops corruption.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

We knew there was maneuvering during the ABOR meetings but never heard the upshot. He still gets a huge payout if he's fired with or without cause. This means very little.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

TatetheGreat wrote:We knew there was maneuvering during the ABOR meetings but never heard the upshot. He still gets a huge payout if he's fired with or without cause. This means very little.

You are a Miller hater so your comment is no surprise.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MC1983 wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:We knew there was maneuvering during the ABOR meetings but never heard the upshot. He still gets a huge payout if he's fired with or without cause. This means very little.

Strong 2nd post. I like it.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

The most meaningful statement addendum would be adding a $5 or even $10mm buyout clause. That insures the university in case needed to buyout an existing top tier coach, and deters others from pursuing Miller, and Miller agreeing to it would say he is in for the long haul.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

MC1983 wrote:

I prefer Miller realist, but fair enough. Welcome aboard.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Bosy Billups wrote:The most meaningful statement addendum would be adding a $5 or even $10mm buyout clause. That insures the university in case needed to buyout an existing top tier coach, and deters others from pursuing Miller, and Miller agreeing to it would say he is in for the long haul.
The buyout thing you refer to has been flipped on its head!

Not one university wants to buyout Sean Miller for $500,000! Now you want to cement the guy to the UofA for $5 MM.

What!

You must be expecting super great things lie ahead........and no sanctions, to boot.

I think you got it COMPLETELY wrong.

The most "meaningful statement addendum" would have been to surrender the $5 MM bonus IF there was AN ISSUE.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I don't think the contract amendment means anything, either way. If this was his whole stock money or a majority of it it would mean something. Right now he keeps 3/4 million if anything does come up, so what?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

MC1983 wrote:Anyone still think he is guilty? Putting money where his mouth is. I like the move.
Looks to me like Miller (had to?) make a major contractual concession to keep his job...

... leaves room for redemption, but assumes greater risk, also, since he could face this consequence even for past actions.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Hank of sb wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:The most meaningful statement addendum would be adding a $5 or even $10mm buyout clause. That insures the university in case needed to buyout an existing top tier coach, and deters others from pursuing Miller, and Miller agreeing to it would say he is in for the long haul.
The buyout thing you refer to has been flipped on its head!

Not one university wants to buyout Sean Miller for $500,000! Now you want to cement the guy to the UofA for $5 MM.

What!

You must be expecting super great things lie ahead........and no sanctions, to boot.

I think you got it COMPLETELY wrong.

The most "meaningful statement addendum" would have been to surrender the $5 MM bonus IF there was AN ISSUE.
If Miller does great, he will be pursued, and as hinted during the season, there was a flirtation with Pitt. So that ship has sailed. What if Maryland opens up again? IDK, but if the smoke clears in 1-2 years and he turns this around (which he will do, watch, and get coach of the year in the conference next year as we head to a Sweet 16), they can get him for 500k. Where does that leave the university? Looking for donors to buyout another coach.

Sure, if he doesn't turn the ship around (not a possibility IMO), then the university is no worse off having a 5mm buyout or 10mm buyout.

The other stuff, the forfeits, even bonuses, is really not that impactful as he has plenty of money to last generations, and plenty of future job prospects, that it's a mere fart in the wind.

This is the truth of the word, thanks be to me.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:I don't think the contract amendment means anything, either way. If this was his whole stock money or a majority of it it would mean something. Right now he keeps 3/4 million if anything does come up, so what?
If a million is inconsequential, maybe they can toss that my way.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:A coach who has won multiple national championships was fired over this.

Charged with what? The only legal theory for charges advanced is bribery of public officials (i.e., assistant coaches). Payments to players isn't illegal. That's why no one's charging $43,500 to Dennis Smith Jr. whether it happened or not. You don't see NCAA action because they've delayed investigation until after their committee makes recommendations at minimum.

You're also ignoring that over 20 programs had players repay under $250 benefits to preserve eligibility. This is a single agency. You legitimately think ASM was the only agency doing this?

Then there's direct money from shoe companies like Josh Jackson's mom getting monthly stipends from adidas and UA. That also didn't happen? What exactly is the motive by Dawkkns to make it look like Apples was pulling cash from shoe companies?
Maybe you don't even read what you write. Your third sentence "The only legal theory is bribery of a public official". That is not the legal theory unless Book was a congressman or elected official.....Maybe you still don't understand what a public official is. Payment to player's is illegal, not for the players to take it, but to the university because it defrauds them of a player's eligibility which has value. That is what a large potion of the case is about.......Oh and let's not forget the fired coach has a $30M lawsuit pending...
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I can't believe we still have posters who think we're getting more than a slap on the wrist. We're losing 1 scholarship, maybe two at worst.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:A coach who has won multiple national championships was fired over this.

Charged with what? The only legal theory for charges advanced is bribery of public officials (i.e., assistant coaches). Payments to players isn't illegal. That's why no one's charging $43,500 to Dennis Smith Jr. whether it happened or not. You don't see NCAA action because they've delayed investigation until after their committee makes recommendations at minimum.

You're also ignoring that over 20 programs had players repay under $250 benefits to preserve eligibility. This is a single agency. You legitimately think ASM was the only agency doing this?

Then there's direct money from shoe companies like Josh Jackson's mom getting monthly stipends from adidas and UA. That also didn't happen? What exactly is the motive by Dawkkns to make it look like Apples was pulling cash from shoe companies?
Maybe you don't even read what you write. Your third sentence "The only legal theory is bribery of a public official". That is not the legal theory unless Book was a congressman or elected official.....Maybe you still don't understand what a public official is. Payment to player's is illegal, not for the players to take it, but to the university because it defrauds them of a player's eligibility which has value. That is what a large potion of the case is about.......Oh and let's not forget the fired coach has a $30M lawsuit pending...
Your original post (are you the same as CatFan1Mil?) was citing the fact no more coaches have been implicated at s evidence that corruption is not widespread.

You're essentially arguing a theory by which the institution is defrauding itself when you say it could be illegal for a coach to pay a player. It is illegal for an non-university source to compromise a player's eligibility, but for university sources...well, why did the FBI separate complaints to not have the coaches included with that theory?

As far as me saying Book was bribed in a scheme to bribe a public official and you pointing out is actually a scheme to bribe an agent of the state...congratulations. You got me on that semantic point. He's actually a state agent, not a public official.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

tucsonsean wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:Nova is made up of 4 and 5 star players (mostly 4 star) so its not like they don't have talent. The key is that their best players were guards. Guards win in March.
Not sure this is accurate. Was DiVincenzo even rated coming out of HS?

And Paschal is a transfer from Fordham.
DiV was a four star. https://247sports.com/player/donte-divincenzo-34135" target="_blank
DiV was a four star, but he was greatly overlooked by every name program except Nova. His other best offers were Cuse, Florida, and Notre Dame. The guy's from Delaware, so maybe he made it known he didn't want to leave the east coast? Not sure. Bottom line: UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas, AZ, Michigan State...none involved. Give Wright some credit for seeing the potential that others perhaps missed.

Paschal, as someone else as noted, was a freaking 3-star. His best offers out of HS were WVA and Providence, and he ended up at Fordham. This guy is a beast, and again, a guy that not a single "name" program was involved with.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Coaches are agents of federally funded organizations that's where the crime is. As for the ncaa sanctions I don't see anything major they can do. Unless we played with ineligible players and I don't think that is the case. Book allegedly took money for his own benefit. No athletic advantage which is where the ncaa acts.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bosy Billups wrote:If Miller does great, he will be pursued, and as hinted during the season, there was a flirtation with Pitt. So that ship has sailed. What if Maryland opens up again? IDK, but if the smoke clears in 1-2 years and he turns this around (which he will do, watch, and get coach of the year in the conference next year as we head to a Sweet 16), they can get him for 500k. Where does that leave the university? Looking for donors to buyout another coach.
Pardon my confusion, but are you saying that if Miller turns things around and leaves for a different job, that somehow the University would be looking to get funds to “buyout another coach”?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:
For real. It's a strong move.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TheCat wrote:

Your original post (are you the same as CatFan1Mil?) was citing the fact no more coaches have been implicated at s evidence that corruption is not widespread.

You're essentially arguing a theory by which the institution is defrauding itself when you say it could be illegal for a coach to pay a player. It is illegal for an non-university source to compromise a player's eligibility, but for university sources...well, why did the FBI separate complaints to not have the coaches included with that theory?

As far as me saying Book was bribed in a scheme to bribe a public official and you pointing out is actually a scheme to bribe an agent of the state...congratulations. You got me on that semantic point. He's actually a state agent, not a public official.
This is not me, I got bored of arguing since basically no one can prove anything either way...
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TheCat wrote:

This is not me, I got bored of arguing since basically no one can prove anything either way...
Someday the truth about Bigfoot will come out. Have faith

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Mark Schlabach returns ... http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... iolations#

But now he states "multiple sources" told ESPN that the $100,000 payment was discussed on wiretaps.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Yep, Schlabach emerges from his fetid cave to fire another shot.

It’s like his current assignment is the smear-Miller beat.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't take long for Scheer to chime in, and rightfully so.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Slabach firing away, now with multiple sources! I guess someone isn't worried about CSM's big tough presser. STILL waiting for that mega-billion dollar defamation lawsuit against ESPN to be filed. Day after day it is more obvious CSM is full of crap.

Meanwhile Miller's twitter remains shut down, too scared.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Mark Schlabach is the Chris "Sizzzelean" Cillizza of sports propaganda.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

New sources for ESPN, Roger Stone, Julian Assange, Felix Sater, Michael Flynn Jr, and Carter Page.
Additionally, timeline changed back to 2017.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DrWildcat wrote:Mark Schlabach returns ... http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... iolations#

But now he states "multiple sources" told ESPN that the $100,000 payment was discussed on wiretaps.
It's really hard to tell because that article is horrifically written, but I'm not sure Schlabach didn't just back off saying that his sources knew what was on the wire.

"FBI wiretaps intercepted telephone calls between Sean Miller and Dawkins, and multiple sources told ESPN that they discussed a $100,000 payment to freshman center DeAndre Ayton."

They appears to identify Miller and Dawkins, not the wiretaps. Read literally, the FBI intercepted wiretaps. Also, sources told ESPN Miller and Dawkins discussed payment.

Or maybe he can't compose a decent sentence. Read literally, he walked back the statement that the sources were discussing what was on the wiretaps.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Seriously, at what point can’t this asshole be sued for defamation of character?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

The ABOR vote is procedural. It's just to rubber stamp what was already agreed to over a month ago. And as someone pointed out in the comments section, Schlabach also got the score of the Buffalo game wrong. It was 89-68, not 84-68.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Hopefully espn sends him to Maui next year
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:Mark Schlabach returns ... http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... iolations#

It's really hard to tell because that article is horrifically written, but I'm not sure Schlabach didn't just back off saying that his sources knew what was on the wire.

"FBI wiretaps intercepted telephone calls between Sean Miller and Dawkins, and multiple sources told ESPN that they discussed a $100,000 payment to freshman center DeAndre Ayton."

They appears to identify Miller and Dawkins, not the wiretaps. Read literally, the FBI intercepted wiretaps. Also, sources told ESPN Miller and Dawkins discussed payment.

Or maybe he can't compose a decent sentence. Read literally, he walked back the statement that the sources were discussing what was on the wiretaps.
I can see what you're saying. Maybe he just left it vague and open to interpretation on purpose to try and say he wasn't wrong. Basically, if it's not on the wiretap he can point to what you're saying. That could mean there is no physical evidence (i.e. just conversations without other witnesses to those conversations) so no one can really prove Schlabach wrong or that Miller is completely innocent. Either way the damage has been done.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TatetheGreat wrote:The ABOR vote is procedural. It's just to rubber stamp what was already agreed to over a month ago. And as someone pointed out in the comments section, Schlabach also got the score of the Buffalo game wrong. It was 89-68, not 84-68.
So, you're saying he even got, what can be considered the easiest part of the article to fact check, wrong. Well done ESPN.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Did they take the comment section down? I no longer see it on my screen. Mobile or desktop.

Edit. I see it now.
Last edited by KillerKlown on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Luke's burner account.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

KillerKlown wrote:

Did they take the comment section down? I no longer see it on my screen. Mobile or desktop.
It's still there.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

No one else thinks it's odd that the article is by Mark Sclabach who typically does NOT cover college basketball...????

ESPN being about as subtle as a fucking apocalypse...
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

(link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... ssion=true" target="_blank) washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports…
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Remember Dawkins was fired from two companies for Sterling 40-50k twice.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

CatHoops wrote:(link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... ssion=true" target="_blank) washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports…
But in February, prosecutors dropped all charges against Augustine, without explanation. Two weeks ago, in a court hearing in New York City, one of the lawyers on the case offered a possible reason why: After his arrest, Augustine apparently told federal prosecutors he never intended to pay the players and their families, and had kept the little money actually paid out in these deals for himself.
Earlier this year, federal prosecutors sent a letter to the remaining defendants summarizing some of things Augustine, former director of the Orlando-area 1Family basketball program, told them before they dropped the charges against him. The letter is part of discovery evidence in the case, and is filed under a protective order, barred from public release.

During a March 22 hearing, however, a lawyer representing Jim Gatto — an Adidas executive accused of agreeing to pay $150,000 if Augustine convinced 1Family star Nassir Little to commit to Miami — discussed the letter in open court.

“Mr. Augustine’s statement as summarized by the government . . . directly contradicts the allegations of the indictment . . . with respect to Mr. Little, Mr. Augustine had no intention of taking any money and handing it to Mr. Little,” said attorney Michael Schachter, according to a transcript.

“Mr. Augustine says that, in fact, he was not in on the scheme. In fact, there was not going to be any payment that was going to be made to Mr. Little. But effectively he was in his own scheme to rip off Mr. Gatto,” said Schachter, who was arguing the judge should force prosecutors to turn over transcripts or FBI agent notes of discussions with Augustine, because they may contain evidence favorable to Gatto and the other defendants.
That federal prosecutors apparently decided to drop charges against Augustine after he told them he hadn’t been brokering deals to steer recruits to specific college programs, but instead had kept money for himself, is a reminder of the unusual legal theory at the core of much of the criminal charges produced so far in the FBI probe.

Fraud is a crime that requires a victim. When Augustine was charged with wire fraud, the alleged victims were Miami and Louisville, prosecutors allege, as the schools could have been sanctioned by the NCAA, and sustained financial penalties, if it had come to light some of their players were profiting from their talents.

“So if the money doesn’t go to the athlete, the FBI and prosecutors are fine with it?” said Andy Schwarz, an economist and outspoken critic of the NCAA’s amateurism rules. “How does that make any sense?”.
Unfortunately Book got $20k, of which $15K went to Quinerly (allegedly), kept $5 for himself and thus doesn't have an easy defence of 'I was never going to pay the recruits.'
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
CatHoops wrote:(link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... ssion=true" target="_blank) washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports…
But in February, prosecutors dropped all charges against Augustine, without explanation. Two weeks ago, in a court hearing in New York City, one of the lawyers on the case offered a possible reason why: After his arrest, Augustine apparently told federal prosecutors he never intended to pay the players and their families, and had kept the little money actually paid out in these deals for himself.
Earlier this year, federal prosecutors sent a letter to the remaining defendants summarizing some of things Augustine, former director of the Orlando-area 1Family basketball program, told them before they dropped the charges against him. The letter is part of discovery evidence in the case, and is filed under a protective order, barred from public release.

During a March 22 hearing, however, a lawyer representing Jim Gatto — an Adidas executive accused of agreeing to pay $150,000 if Augustine convinced 1Family star Nassir Little to commit to Miami — discussed the letter in open court.

“Mr. Augustine’s statement as summarized by the government . . . directly contradicts the allegations of the indictment . . . with respect to Mr. Little, Mr. Augustine had no intention of taking any money and handing it to Mr. Little,” said attorney Michael Schachter, according to a transcript.

“Mr. Augustine says that, in fact, he was not in on the scheme. In fact, there was not going to be any payment that was going to be made to Mr. Little. But effectively he was in his own scheme to rip off Mr. Gatto,” said Schachter, who was arguing the judge should force prosecutors to turn over transcripts or FBI agent notes of discussions with Augustine, because they may contain evidence favorable to Gatto and the other defendants.
That federal prosecutors apparently decided to drop charges against Augustine after he told them he hadn’t been brokering deals to steer recruits to specific college programs, but instead had kept money for himself, is a reminder of the unusual legal theory at the core of much of the criminal charges produced so far in the FBI probe.

Fraud is a crime that requires a victim. When Augustine was charged with wire fraud, the alleged victims were Miami and Louisville, prosecutors allege, as the schools could have been sanctioned by the NCAA, and sustained financial penalties, if it had come to light some of their players were profiting from their talents.

“So if the money doesn’t go to the athlete, the FBI and prosecutors are fine with it?” said Andy Schwarz, an economist and outspoken critic of the NCAA’s amateurism rules. “How does that make any sense?”.
Unfortunately Book got $20k, of which $15K went to Quinerly (allegedly), kept $5 for himself and thus doesn't have an easy defence of 'I was never going to pay the recruits.'
Book would have a fairly easy defense to say he kept it all, IMO. Who's gonna contradict him, Quinerly?

Yeah, we know what he said it was for, but if he just says he was scamming Dawkins...
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Exactly and if no proof of money changing hands.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

"Discussed payment" could easily be Dawkins offering to steer Ayton and Miller laughing at him or playing along because he already signed. Technically, that's Miller discussing payment. The bottom line is that Schlabach has zero idea or context of who said what. It's like a telephone call and wrong number asking to speak to the Pipe and then claiming we discussed religion.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

I wish I could understand this better so we could get this thread back on to the rails but I really want to believe what zonagrad just said above.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

After that Miller press conference, I can't believe how many are still having earnest dialogue about whether Miller did anything wrong. Are that many convinced that he's lying?

Because if you take the man at his word, as I do, this conversation is pretty immaterial at this point.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

No one puts up a million dollars, no matter the amount they make, if they know they are going to lose it.

He knows what is on tape.

It is absurd that people look at his wealth, which is in the tens of millions and, with expenses and lifestyles, likely in the lower tens of millions, and think it is no thing to flip $1,000,000 at a losing bet.