Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatHoops

Re: Sean Miller

Post by CatHoops »

I think that was more an issue last year because PJC wasn't a creator. Akinjo and bwill are much better true pgs that will have more freedom
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

NYCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Im interested to see, should Miller land Williams, if he actually gives him the ball and control of the offense. By control of the offense, I mean letting a freshman go to work on ball like Trier.

I sure as hell hope so.
lol, we all know that's not happening. Williams will have to look over to the sidelines every possession -wasting 5+ seconds every time- so he can run a set play Miller wants.
One thing is for sure, watching Nova the past few weeks, and now immersing myself in all that is the playoff races in the NBA; trying to picture what our offense looks like next year in Tucson makes me cringe. It usually makes me cringe either way, but especially next year.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TucsonClip wrote:
NYCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Im interested to see, should Miller land Williams, if he actually gives him the ball and control of the offense. By control of the offense, I mean letting a freshman go to work on ball like Trier.

I sure as hell hope so.
lol, we all know that's not happening. Williams will have to look over to the sidelines every possession -wasting 5+ seconds every time- so he can run a set play Miller wants.
One thing is for sure, watching Nova the past few weeks, and now immersing myself in all that is the playoff races in the NBA; trying to picture what our offense looks like next year in Tucson makes me cringe. It usually makes me cringe either way, but especially next year.
If there was ever a time to just throw your fricken hands up and let the offense run fluidly it's next year, but yeah we know how it's going to go.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Miller might be better off long term letting his players go and loosening the reigns on offense.

If we suck, he can say, “See? I let them play and this was the result.”

If we are good, he can show future recruits that he’s not the micromanager his detractors have accused him of being.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

He gave TJ that freedom his 2nd year...he was jumping passing lanes out of the packline, driving almost Steve Nash style (more than a few times, he pulled that drive under the basket on the baseline and then stop suddenly and hit that little 12 footer or so). Mark Lyons certainly had a lot of play making freedom. I think we are remembering the worst.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:He gave TJ that freedom his 2nd year...he was jumping passing lanes out of the packline, driving almost Steve Nash style (more than a few times, he pulled that drive under the basket on the baseline and then stop suddenly and hit that little 12 footer or so). Mark Lyons certainly had a lot of play making freedom. I think we are remembering the worst.
You're absolutely correct, but I think both those cases were major extremes for two different reasons. For T.J. he was Sean Miller's most trusted player at Arizona bar none, especially as a 5th year senior. Trust is important and it's blatantly obvious that Miller has not had this rapport with any other point guard he's ever had at Arizona, so giving T.J. a leash that he absolutely earned and deserved is a no brainer. In the Lyons incident Miller was pretty much backed into a corner with that one. Being fresh off a non-NCAA tourney year and losing what was supposed to be the PG of the future in Josiah Turner, Miller literally had no other options outside of let Lyons be Lyons, especially when every post we used was a freshman, Kevin Parrom had to recover from his gun shot wound, and our only other real offensive weapon was Solomon Hill.

Now next year Miller could very well be in a similar place as he was with the Lyons team and we absolutely could see a ton of freedom for a guy like Brandon Williams. I can actually absolutely see that, but I think Miller has to be at either end of the spectrum in regards to having a guy he trusts above all else or having no other choice, but to let a guy do what he wants. Will be interesting to see what it looks like next year.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

He didn't really have any other options with PJC, to be fair. I think Miller is a former PG so he is way more involved with that position like a football coach who was a QB rides his QBs...and when he sees something, he loosens the grip some, and ultimately, being a competent PG open to coaching from Miller will reap great rewards. He can make a good PG great. And he can destroy a subpar one.

The problem is, PGs come as dumb ass freshmen in most packages. If you come in with some gravitas, some knowledge, Miller will mold his team around you.

He definitely needs to learn patience with developing players, and I think there is more room for that in 4 positions. At PG, Miller will expect greatness and in return provides experienced coaching. The problem is getting an 18 year old who isn't a knucklehead...especially a competent "Arizona good" level player.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

EVCat wrote:He gave TJ that freedom his 2nd year...he was jumping passing lanes out of the packline, driving almost Steve Nash style (more than a few times, he pulled that drive under the basket on the baseline and then stop suddenly and hit that little 12 footer or so). Mark Lyons certainly had a lot of play making freedom. I think we are remembering the worst.
I understand our efficiency, but our offense is painful to watch at times. Im a free flowing, multiple actions at once, swing the ball type of guy. But if Miller's offense doesnt have someone who can create off the dribble and get a bucket, things usually go south when we need to score.

Some people hated Trier's style of play. Yet it was necessary in Miller's offense, as constructed. If those people want to see something a bit different, IMO, the offense needs to change. Removing a Trier and inserting a bunch of guys who are willing to pass isnt the solution, at least in my view.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
97cats

Post by 97cats »

EVCat wrote:He didn't really have any other options with PJC, to be fair..
whos fault is this?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
NYCat wrote:

I sure as hell hope so.
If there was ever a time to just throw your fricken hands up and let the offense run fluidly it's next year, but yeah we know how it's going to go.
Pretty much nails it.
Sadly
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

97cats wrote:
whos fault is this?
His. He under-recruited a position, failed to take the bullet and stand up to a dad, and had the position loaded for bear for next year before the Book and Schlabach DP.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

97cats wrote:
whos fault is this?
THE MAN IN THE ARENA

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/trsorbonnespeech.html" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

97cats wrote:
whos fault is this?
Book? Wishful thinking...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Looks like Dickie V got a bit spirited last night.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

The replies featured several emptyheaded responses by Vitale to our guys taking Dick to school.

And then he retweeted a typical pointless column by Hansen about how CBB hasn't changed aside from the money.

You're welcome for saving y'all a pointless click to Vitale's junk Twitter.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Off the record, over a few beers, how great would it be to get Sean Miller's opinion of Vitale, Bilas, and all the other opportunists who've publicly trashed him?

This is setting up to be the sweetest revenge for Miller.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

catgrad97 wrote: The replies featured several emptyheaded responses by Vitale to our guys taking Dick to school.

And then he retweeted a typical pointless column by Hansen about how CBB hasn't changed aside from the money.

I read it, it was basically him saying 12 times that book was indicted by the FBI and Miller is responsible for books actions.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
catgrad97 wrote: The replies featured several emptyheaded responses by Vitale to our guys taking Dick to school.

I read it, it was basically him saying 12 times that book was indicted by the FBI and Miller is responsible for books actions.
Funny how he’s got nothing but good things to say about Bruce Pearl and Auburn.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Chicat wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:

Exactly, I would be ok with Vitale's stance against Miller if he held the same viewpoint against all coaches and programs under the FBI scope. His bias disgusts me.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I don't understand the bias either? I doubt Dick has met Schlabach once in his lifetime so it's not that. Is it because Millet looks like he should be part of the Italian basketball coach mafia, but isn't? I'm genuinely curious.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:

Oh, his treatment of Pitino is 10x worse. Vitale sucks up to Pitino constantly, and Pitino is clearly the worst actor in any of this, presiding over the worst program.

If Miller is responsible for Book, how about holding Pitino responsible for the hookers. And the paying. And the abortion extortion. He unquestionably presided over two and the third makes you wonder if Vitale would claim a second penis theory to try to absolve Ricky.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:I don't understand the bias either? I doubt Dick has met Schlabach once in his lifetime so it's not that. Is it because Millet looks like he should be part of the Italian basketball coach mafia, but isn't? I'm genuinely curious.
Where does Miller fall into the "every college basketball coach looks like a pastor or mobster" thing
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I don't understand the bias either? I doubt Dick has met Schlabach once in his lifetime so it's not that. Is it because Millet looks like he should be part of the Italian basketball coach mafia, but isn't? I'm genuinely curious.
Where does Miller fall into the "every college basketball coach looks like a pastor or mobster" thing
I mean if Sean was a complete stranger I'd look at him and wouldn't be surprised one bit if his name was Louie the Lip or something similar lol.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

NYCat wrote:
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

:lol:

Yup, mobster
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Which sort of pastor?

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Can Akot play point at all?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Postmaster wrote:Can Akot play point at all?
He played point in high school but never really looked comfortable in the role last year. Maybe had Miller just let the team roll out the ball and go play, we'd have seen a more confident Akot as PG. But there's a big leap between that and running sets for Miller.

As a sophomore it's possible Akot gains fluency in Arizona's basketball language - but I'd still be surprised to see him in anything other than a secondary ball handler role. Especially since we're lacking other bodies to play at the forward positions... it just seems obvious to play Akot on the wing and let him operate like a point forward as appropriate.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Postmaster wrote:Can Akot play point at all?
He played point in high school but never really looked comfortable in the role last year. Maybe had Miller just let the team roll out the ball and go play, we'd have seen a more confident Akot as PG. But there's a big leap between that and running sets for Miller.

As a sophomore it's possible Akot gains fluency in Arizona's basketball language - but I'd still be surprised to see him in anything other than a secondary ball handler role. Especially since we're lacking other bodies to play at the forward positions... it just seems obvious to play Akot on the wing and let him operate like a point forward as appropriate.
I would rather have a pg and let Akot be a wing with good vision and handles. Teams where you have multiple passers allow so many more options and lead to a good flow.

Part of the reason our offense looks less than fluid is we have had more scorers than passers for a while. Things just look better when you play with a bunch of guys who can and will pass.
prh

Post by prh »

Playing Akot at PG would be the exact same as this year. Works during regular reason, seems like it could survive the postseason, then gets obliterated.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

Smh.... How different things may have been

https://www.theringer.com/2018/4/9/1721 ... e-and-done" target="_blank
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

SteveKerrsStroke wrote:Smh.... How different things may have been

I would hand that article to every Top 20 prospect that was looking at Duke or UK if I were any school competing against them for the recruit,
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Duval would have been in a similar situation at Arizona from a team perspective: we were a front court dominant team and wouldn't have had much need for a ball dominant, non-three point shooting PG. He should have done like Sexton and gone and been the man for a year at a mid-level major program.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I would rather have a pg and let Akot be a wing with good vision and handles. Teams where you have multiple passers allow so many more options and lead to a good flow.

Part of the reason our offense looks less than fluid is we have had more scorers than passers for a while. Things just look better when you play with a bunch of guys who can and will pass.
Luke Walton comes to mind. Iguodala as well.
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

FWIW, Mark Schlabach found his Twitter account for the first time since 2/25 to tweet about the superceding indictment with a dead link to ESPN.com

https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach" target="_blank

Just thought that folks here that might want to send Mr. Schlabach messages would like to know that his account is active again.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

How things have changed for Duke. It wasn't until 1999 that K had any player leave early for the draft.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:

How things have changed for Duke. It wasn't until 1999 that K had any player leave early for the draft.
I wonder if Duke fans have mixed feelings about K's change in philosophy. Probably not since they've won two NCs this decade, but plenty of programs are showing that you don't need the one-and-dones to reach the FF.

Sorta miss the Duke of old. They haven't had a Battier-type in a while.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

atlantakat wrote:FWIW, Mark Schlabach found his Twitter account for the first time since 2/25 to tweet about the superceding indictment with a dead link to ESPN.com

Just thought that folks here that might want to send Mr. Schlabach messages would like to know that his account is active again.
thats' great. I looked for Sean Miller's twitter and it turns out hes tweeted even less than Slabach, in fact he deleted his account. Weird!
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

RiseAndFire wrote:
atlantakat wrote:FWIW, Mark Schlabach found his Twitter account for the first time since 2/25 to tweet about the superceding indictment with a dead link to ESPN.com

thats' great. I looked for Sean Miller's twitter and it turns out hes tweeted even less than Slabach, in fact he deleted his account. Weird!
Actually deleted his account about a year before this happened!. #dumbass
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

The Witch is Witching...

He survived.

Final Four incoming.

No pressure, he gets back to his roots, defense first, 100% effort, no 5 star snowflakes looking at the NBA next year.

Will 97 eat crow?

I think so.

In 1 year, we're going to be fretting about keeping Miller, rather than losing him.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

I like the way things have gone in the past few weeks, quietly hiring an assistant and landing a commitment.

It's not much but gives a sense of finding some much needed footing.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

RiseAndFire wrote:

And that is notable because he tweeted 10 times a day before this story and works in the press and uses Twitter to get his story links out?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Fuck rise and fail...fuck him with a cannon ball. Why you guys respond to a known troll is beyond me.

He's obviously Steve Alfords love child from Dick V...just read his older post, same MO...
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Bosy Billups wrote:
Will 97 eat crow?

I think so.
i would gladley eat crow, please let me know what for so i can locate the proper kind and amount(s)
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I heard Miller spoke at an alumni event after the Lute ceremony and basically said

I have been humbled by everything that has happened

I did nothing wrong and will be vindicated once all the facts come out

I really appreciate the support of the Arizona administration and I am at Arizona for as long as Arizona will have me
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Newportcat wrote:I heard Miller spoke at an alumni event after the Lute ceremony and basically said

I really appreciate the support of the Arizona administration and I am at Arizona for as long as Arizona will have me
Did he say anything about Mark Schalabach being the worst journalist ever?
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Newportcat wrote:I heard Miller spoke at an alumni event after the Lute ceremony and basically said

I super enjoyed reading this, this morning. Thanks for that & I really hope that's all true.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I’m waiting for confirmation from another source I have but have zero reason to believe it’s not true what I heard
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:I’m waiting for confirmation from another source I have but have zero reason to believe it’s not true what I heard
I mean certainly nothing you said Miller said there is remotely controversial or unexpected.