Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Ned Zissou wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Never thought I'd see the day, but Sean Miller has seriously been compared to Donald Trump. You can't make this up.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sean-miller-be ... 32012.html" target="_blank
snowflakes.
There may not be a more softer profession in the world nowadays than a journalist, especially sports journalists.
You may be right about sports journalists but real journalists are out there getting threatened and killed right here in America.
Killed?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Ned Zissou wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Never thought I'd see the day, but Sean Miller has seriously been compared to Donald Trump. You can't make this up.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sean-miller-be ... 32012.html" target="_blank
snowflakes.
There may not be a more softer profession in the world nowadays than a journalist, especially sports journalists.
You may be right about sports journalists but real journalists are out there getting threatened and killed right here in America.
Killed?
Capital Gazette shooting was less than a year ago. How soon we forget...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ahhh, one nutjob upset that a newspaper covered his crimes and going full nutjob does not equate a trend. That shooting was certainly tragic, but quite frankly I have zero faith in modern journalism as it has become nothing more than activism whether left or right and it's beyond nauseating. Either way we're getting off track, let's just focus on sports journalists being soft.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Ahhh, one nutjob upset that a newspaper covered his crimes and going full nutjob does not equate a trend.
I’m sure that’s comforting to their loved ones and colleagues in their profession who are being threatened daily.
ChooChooCat wrote:That shooting was certainly tragic, but quite frankly I have zero faith in modern journalism as it has become nothing more than activism whether left or right and it's beyond nauseating.
So the occasional shooting is no biggee? I’ll assume that’s not your take.
ChooChooCat wrote:Either way we're getting off track, let's just focus on sports journalists being soft pansies.
Yeah, good call. Not sure how one annoying douchebag sports writer became all journalists but I’ll just take this as you admitting a mistake and we can move on.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Chicat wrote:Capital Gazette shooting was less than a year ago. How soon we forget...
I guess pipe bombs being sent to CNN and an active member of the Coast Guard having a kill list that included multiple members of the media don't count either.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

My last post on the topic, the Gazette shooting was the first time journalists had been murdered in the U.S. since 2015, where a former journalist had a meltdown and shot a reporter and her cameraman during a live segment in Virginia, prior to that one journalist was killed in Oakland for covering a story in 2007. There's no trend here, but when it becomes an actual trend I will say journalists have something to actually fear, but now it's the furthest thing from a trend. Fake pipe bombs don't count either Bruins01 sorry.

Good night for this topic guys.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Jesus... just say “my bad” and move on...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Did his research . . . still took the L.

Drive home safe.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:Did his research . . . still took the L.

Drive home safe.
If you say so.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:My last post on the topic, the Gazette shooting was the first time journalists had been murdered in the U.S. since 2015, where a former journalist had a meltdown and shot a reporter and her cameraman during a live segment in Virginia, prior to that one journalist was killed in Oakland for covering a story in 2007. There's no trend here, but when it becomes an actual trend I will say journalists have something to actually fear, but now it's the furthest thing from a trend. Fake pipe bombs don't count either Bruins01 sorry.

Good night for this topic guys.
Lol at fake pipe bombs not counting. Don't be a wimp and respond. I'm sure you'd be totally fine with fake pipe bombs being mailed to your work and to all of your associates because they simply did their jobs.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Journalists lives don't matter apparently since the real news they report that the current administration does not want to hear is fake news.

Violence Against Journalists Reached 'Unprecedented Levels' In 2018, Report Finds

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/18/67781916 ... port-finds" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Journalists lives matter, they're just not in any sort of imminent danger regardless of the rhetoric. This isn't Saudi Arabia or Venezuela. You guys all play an amazing violin though.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

THE OUTRAGE! ERR. IM SO ANGRY. I FEEL A FORCE. THE FORCE OF A FART!

This has all been a sensationalist story since the espn to Dick Vitale twitter bickering marathons. I'm not saying Miller didn't pay for recruits but I also can't say he did. Neither can any news org. They got exactly what they wanted, an "unhinged Miller" to add to the plot line. What the reporter got was much better than another "No comment". The grown man gets to larp as a victim because big meanie Sean told him to go back to where he was actually going back to after the presser. Lol. In this case Miller should have just gave him a wedgie.

The good thing is us fans actually got what we wanted too. Some laughs.

At the end of the day this was nothing more than a fart slowly being released like air from the valve of a poorly tied balloon.

Just too bad he didn't take Hansen with him back to PHX.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I really don’t know why journalists being threatened and beat up is a controversial subject. You really want to be on the other side of this?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:I really don’t know why journalists being threatened and beat up is a controversial subject. You really want to be on the other side of this?
I just have lost all respect for the profession. I don't wish any of them ill well, but I'm just far from concerned with their safety versus say children at schools. There's actual concerning data there, while there's virtually none for journalists and their safety outside of one recent nutjob who committed his crime for non-political reasons and let's be honest you guys are concerned with political violence and not random nutjobs in this regard.

Let's move on now shall we?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Let's move on now shall we?
Sure. You first.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I really don’t know why journalists being threatened and beat up is a controversial subject. You really want to be on the other side of this?
I just have lost all respect for the profession. I don't wish any of them ill well, but I'm just far from concerned with their safety versus say children at schools. There's actual concerning data there, while there's virtually none for journalists and their safety outside of one recent nutjob who committed his crime for non-political reasons and let's be honest you guys are concerned with political violence and not random nutjobs in this regard.

Let's move on now shall we?
You first. How about the leader of the country calling them then enemy of the people and encouraging violence against them? You're digging yourself a grave you can't get out of with this insane stance.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

One thing about his response, it certainly has become a lightning rod of discussion. I saw where Millers 4 year old nephew had open heart surgery so that probably was on his mind first and foremost. He has gone through hell for sure. Tough tough spot. He has my support
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:One thing about his response, it certainly has become s lightning rod of discussion. I saw where Millers 4 year old nephew had open heart surgery so that probably was on his mind first and foremost. He has gone through hell for sure. Tough tough spot. He has my support
People are acting like it was the first time he had ever been asked about the investigation and trial. Meanwhile it wasn’t even the first time being asked at that press conference by that same reporter.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Spot on Chi, as always. This will make the ASSU game a must see on many levels. Can’t wait and hope the team carries the coaches edge.

As an aside, Nico Mannion was playing in the state final tonight in Phoenix. Maybe Miller went
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

He drove himself to...wait for it...Phoenix.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Jefe wrote:
Jesus. I had to log in to say this is epic.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

After watching the whole press conference, I love Sean even more. He stands up for the kids on the team and his family in an honorable way. #BearDown
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Finley was on radio and said Pascoe was going to ask same questions but the Phoenix guy got to go first.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

If a couple of asshole writers made Choo lose "all respect for the profession" .... well then I can't imagine he has any respect for any profession out there. Since, you know, there's assholes in every profession.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:If a couple of asshole writers made Choo lose "all respect for the profession" .... well then I can't imagine he has any respect for any profession out there. Since, you know, there's assholes in every profession.
Well what if they are literally all self-righteous activist assholes? Most professions aren't made up of all assholes. Journalists however....well except Michael Lev, he's not an asshole, so you get that one POM.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote:Finley was on radio and said Pascoe was going to ask same questions but the Phoenix guy got to go first.
Pascoe typically always asks him once per presser.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

https://www.kgun9.com/sports/local-spor ... a-question" target="_blank
Mike Pelton, a reporter from KGUN sister station KNXV-TV in Phoenix, asked Miller if he had been notified.

"No comment," said Miller.

"If you are subpoenaed, will you testify?"

"No comment."

"But with all the scrutiny that has surrounded this University...."

"No comment. You can drive back to Phoenix."

"You're not going to answer the question?'

Miller shook his head no and later wouldn't comment to a question by a different reporter on how this is affecting his coaching.
for it's one,
two,
3 strikes and
you can drive back to phoenix
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote:Finley was on radio and said Pascoe was going to ask same questions but the Phoenix guy got to go first.
I would have paid to see that.

Need to dig up Lute presser with Pascoe and Hansen. Think it was posted in the last couple of months.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:If a couple of asshole writers made Choo lose "all respect for the profession" .... well then I can't imagine he has any respect for any profession out there. Since, you know, there's assholes in every profession.
Well what if they are literally all self-righteous activist assholes? Most professions aren't made up of all assholes. Journalists however....well except Michael Lev, he's not an asshole, so you get that one POM.
I was a sportswriter for our local newspaper for three years. Was paid less than a teacher and never got a raise.

I was one of the non-assholes in the profession. I fought my managing editor every single day on this and most weekends. He pushed me to ask the asshole questions, every interview. The ones I knew would get a source to shut down, if not punch my lights out. Like asking Roger Clemens about his recent steroid use, that sort of thing.

You want to talk about assholes? That editor was one. Hell, I even did my college internship at the Star when Gimino and Morales made the newsroom go and Pascoe was first starting out, and "Columbo" does not even rank on the scale of assholes compared to Hansen.

But sure, Choo, go ahead and share your views with Gimino the next time he posts one of his analyses no one can get anywhere else. Or Morales. Or Steve Rivera.

I'm sure they'd all be happy to factually explain to which part of Phoenix you could drive.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

catgrad97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I was a sportswriter for our local newspaper for three years. Was paid less than a teacher and never got a raise.

I was one of the non-assholes in the profession. I fought my managing editor every single day on this and most weekends. He pushed me to ask the asshole questions, every interview. The ones I knew would get a source to shut down, if not punch my lights out. Like asking Roger Clemens about his recent steroid use, that sort of thing.

You want to talk about assholes? That editor was one. Hell, I even did my college internship at the Star when Gimino and Morales made the newsroom go and Pascoe was first starting out, and "Columbo" does not even rank on the scale of assholes compared to Hansen.

But sure, Choo, go ahead and share your views with Gimino the next time he posts one of his analyses no one can get anywhere else. Or Morales. Or Steve Rivera.

I'm sure they'd all be happy to factually explain to which part of Phoenix you could drive.
Love ya buddy, but couldn't care less. Actual quality journalism is dead. Today it's nothing more than activism shrouded in a cloud of history of quality or brand name recognition. Maybe you're right though that this isn't a journalistic problem, but rather one of shit editors. I would absolutely buy that actually. On that note do Gimino, Morales, or Rivera have an editor or do they just run their site as they please? That would explain a lot quite frankly.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Highlights

2:18 Mike Pelton asks two questions about subpoenas and Miller responds two times "No Comment"
4:40 Different reports asks about all the noise around Arizona, including the subpoenas, FBI, Book,Bibby, losing streak, injuries
5:06-7:07 Miller talks about his family, the seniors, getting Williams back and his nephew having open heart surgery. Clearly emotional as he should be about his family
7:08 is when Mike Pelton for a third times attempts to ask about subpoenas. One fucking seconds after Miller got done talking about his nephew having open heart surgery. Miller says no comment and then the "you can drive back to Phoenix"

Pelton got all he deserved and more. Have more class than to ask that right after Miller talks about his 4 year old nephew having open heart surgry.

Miller I am fully behind you man. lets win this fucking thing and shut this clown up. I am just so annoyed Pelton is getting all this press nationally and locally for being a huge twat and editing a video to make him look better.

Pelton was also on local radio all morning lying about the press conference
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Love ya buddy, but couldn't care less. Actual quality journalism is dead. Today it's nothing more than activism shrouded in a cloud of history of quality or brand name recognition. Maybe you're right though that this isn't a journalistic problem, but rather one of shit editors. I would absolutely buy that actually. On that note do Gimino, Morales, or Rivera have an editor or do they just run their site as they please? That would explain a lot quite frankly.
Really? So an entire profession has ceased to do any good work? How absurd does it sound to apply that to any other profession—there are no more good doctors, accountants, attorneys? But somehow all the good journalists are dead? Maybe you just aren’t reading in the right places? I don’t know.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Pat Forde is a tool
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

97cats wrote:Pat Forde is a tool
Yep

I really liked Pat for a long time but he has lost it big time lately
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Really? So an entire profession has ceased to do any good work? How absurd does it sound to apply that to any other profession—there are no more good doctors, accountants, attorneys? But somehow all the good journalists are dead? Maybe you just aren’t reading in the right places? I don’t know.
Maybe because doctors, accountants, and attorneys for the most part still have ethics they follow. Journalistic integrity is seriously lacking in every form of the medium. I'm not saying it still doesn't exist out there, but yeah it's a dying art that's for certain.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

There's genuinely something up with Yahoo. It would be nice if they had another source to this story that was not Christian Dawkins's lawyer and didn't treat every word he tells them as the gospel. They're doing an amazing job at carrying the water for him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
There's genuinely something up with Yahoo. It would be nice if they had another source to this story that was not Christian Dawkins's lawyer and didn't treat every word he tells them as the gospel. They're doing an amazing job at carrying the water for him.
Yahoo wants to maintain their status as the go-to source on this story.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
i actually like Forde, but there has to be something - he is on a mission.

everything that is happening to AZ is the same exact thing that happened to Kansas and Louisville and USC, and on and on...not to mention Self on messages and wires approving actual payments. Chuck Person dead bulls-eye nailed taking actual payments - yet nothing.

and as for the integrity of college basketball that keeps getting called into question, lets get real, Forde's first love (college football and specifically the SEC) has the least amount of integrity or clean behavior of any sport in this country.

his position that the NCAA is losing credibility in this whole CBB FBI scandal is laughable. the NCAA has had no backbone for years, including supporting and enabling college football (the real cash cow) to fly and operate unimputed at an entirely different altitude.

CBB is a dirty sport? CBB is out of control? burn CBB down and start over? what a fucking revelation, Pat!!!

but, thats not the focus, far from it.

the so called objective of all the guys jamming this agenda down the throats of donors, supporters, administration, and fans is gaining integrity and credibility to the sport, back to the NCAA, to stop the cheating, the lying, the bribes.

what a fucking joke

there is no focus on the larger amateur problem, the NCAA problem, the reality of almost all sports in college having warts, the actual amateur/college model being the problem, how out dated and antiquated it is.

the NCAA isnt looking for its credibility back, Pat - they are looking to slither away from the bum-rush and continue operating with its stable of favorite children and fat revenue streams.

they dont want to clean up shit, they want a scapegoat - fucking tool, fucking tool, fucking tool.
Last edited by 97cats on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Man, I love you too. You are go-to No. 1 for takes on Arizona basketball now. I trust your insights, which have always aligned with the truth.

But whether you care or not about a different experience or opinion than yours is entirely beside the point.

You think people in the profession don't know the assholes around them exist? That, in most cases, they have HAD to be assholes because their skill set doesn't translate to other professions?

Man, I KNEW, going in to the University of Arizona, about all the dubious characters and practices in journalism. I was perhaps the only full-time student at the U of A J School or Cronkite who was there to REFORM, not just make a name for myself. That was why Jacqueline Sharkey (now the head of the Journalism School) remains my favorite professor I ever had.

Nevertheless, standards have only lowered in the profession since then, much less since my lonely efforts crashed and burned. My point is not to make you care about the profession again, but defend the good, solid journalists still plugging away with hard work, not looking to stir the pot or change the minds of those who won't be changed.

And yes, Gimino, Morales, Rivera, Scheer and Gershon are largely their own content providers. They have copy editors, of course.

But they don't answer to people who have no interest in promoting the quality work they do. I had to. Sometimes that makes all the difference.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Somehow the worst part is that he thinks the bombs Cesay Sayoc sent out were fake.

I know you guys all generally love Sean Miller but the questions those reporters were asking him were fair and reasonable. Since when is "no comment" an acceptable answer from one of the highest paid PUBLIC employees in the state?
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bruins01 wrote:I know you guys all generally love Sean Miller but the questions those reporters were asking him were fair and reasonable. Since when is "no comment" an acceptable answer from one of the highest paid PUBLIC employees in the state?
Highest paid Public employees are always college sports coaches .... so .... since always?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Funny how Miller answered no comment every single time but one. And that one time, the questions was asked by someone for the third time within five minutes and one fucking second after Miller talked about his 4 year old nephew having open heart surgery.

For all these people who said he lost it and cost control, he went on for an additional ten minutes, not storming off like LeBron or Brady
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bruins01 wrote:Somehow the worst part is that he thinks the bombs Cesay Sayoc sent out were fake.

I know you guys all generally love Sean Miller but the questions those reporters were asking him were fair and reasonable. Since when is "no comment" an acceptable answer from one of the highest paid PUBLIC employees in the state?
When there's an active federal case about which he's being asked to comment, no comment is pretty reasonable.

Also, the reporter should have let that go after the first no comment.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bruins01 wrote:Somehow the worst part is that he thinks the bombs Cesay Sayoc sent out were fake.

He's still an employee who has to answer to his lower-paid superiors in consultation with the institution's legal representation. He's not an elected official.

And yeah, it's the reporters' job to ask those questions regardless of whether he answers, and to try to get him to answer. But "You can drive back to Phoenix" is a national treasure, and better than Julius Caesar's "I came, I saw, I conquered."
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Some other examples from the years:

UCLA coach Steve Alford declined to comment on the case
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/uc ... 0614d9363b" target="_blank

No comment from Steve Alford on report linking him to open Indiana job
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /99399930/" target="_blank

“I have no comment on any of that.”
https://www.ocregister.com/2010/10/12/u ... eam-rules/" target="_blank

UCLA had no comment on the tweets.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... chip-kelly" target="_blank

UCLA had no comment on his status Monday.
https://www.roanoke.com/sports/uva/uva- ... 5140d.html" target="_blank

“No comment,” he said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... b8e7e3af31" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Oh I'm sorry, bombs that are completely incapable of working are real.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Oh I'm sorry, bombs that are completely incapable of working are real.
It doesn't matter one iota if the bombs are real BTW...

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Can we keep this about Sean Miller and topics he is related to please