Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by TheCat »

People have no idea how hard it is to win on the road in the Pac. There were no post on this thread because no one had anything to bitch or blame miller for.

Stole this from the UCLA board: 14 of the top 25 lost in the last 6 days including 3 of the top 5 and 5 of the top ten. Can you say road games?

But forget the facts..... :lol: :roll:

Oh....and fire Dana for the unforgivable loss at WSU.
Last edited by TheCat on Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

TheCat wrote:People have no idea how hard it is to win on the road in the Pac. There were no post on this thread because no one had anything to bitch or blame miller for.

Stole this from the UCLA board: 14 of the top 25 lost in the last 6 days including 3 of the top 5 and 5 of the top ten. Can you say road games?

But forget the facts..... :lol: :roll:
the facts are that we're 12-5 and have lost 5 of 8
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The fact that hater wont answer tells me everything
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Why exactly are we supposed to be impressed Miller beat a shitty team at home? If we could play like this all the time we wouldn't need to bitch in the first place.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Maybe beating the 20th rank team by 20?????? We are playing the teams that were picked ahead of us in conference. Stanford has not played those teams yet. I expect us to have a tough time on the road this season and especially at Washington. As Lute would say....win your home games and split on the road. I think the other telling point about Arizona is that their 3 freshman rank #2 in power 5 schools in scoring. Especially since they are limited by Miller. :lol:
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

It’s as though some fans want to have something to bitch and complain about.

Every season is a roller coaster ride. What the hell do you expect?

How would you feel if you were an Ohio State fan?

You don’t think Oregon fans are nervous right now? How long can they ride Pritchard?

Stanford just blew a 20 point lead.

Duke has two really shitty losses. And just lost at home. Again.

Care to talk about North Carolina basketball?

Auburn just lost by 22 and scored a whopping 47 points!!

West Virginia lost by 16.

Don’t you see what’s going on? It’s wide open this year. Arizona, even when it’s freshmen we’re playing like freshmen, still went toe to toe with Gonzaga and Baylor. They’re figuring things out. This team hasn’t been together that long but just bitch slapped a Colorado team that has been together for several seasons.

We’ll likely have a few more setbacks, as is the nature of the season. But our upside is really, really good.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

zonagrad wrote:It’s as though some fans want to have something to bitch and complain about.

You don’t think Oregon fans are nervous right now? How long can they ride Pritchard?

Don’t you see what’s going on? It’s wide open this year. Arizona, even when it’s freshmen we’re playing like freshmen, still went toe to toe with Gonzaga and Baylor. They’re figuring things out. This team hasn’t been together that long but just bitch slapped a Colorado team that has been together for several seasons.

We’ll likely have a few more setbacks, as is the nature of the season. But our upside is really, really good.
This is someone with perspective and has watched a lot of basketball. We will lose again and it will be the coaches fault or the normal scapegoat we have to find. Before this year it was Dylan Smith....now Chase Jetter. No one on here just enjoys the journey and seeing development and embracing the ups and downs with all their emotions. It is funner to win but losing isn't the end of the world.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

zonagrad wrote:It’s as though some fans want to have something to bitch and complain about.

those who behave as you describe aren’t true college basketball fans. Period.

They’re better understood as spoiled, over-entitled fans of an Arizona program, and an era of college basketball, that no longer exist - Lute had an amazing run, and those Arizona fans who were around before he came to Tucson know how incredible, amazing and, truth be told, UNLIKELY that run was!! CSM is, without even any close competition, the second-best coach, and has had the second-best “run”, of any coach in Arizona history.

He, and all his players, even those that don’t meet initial expectations, deserve support commensurate with that REALITY, especially in this current era of the college game....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Lute always said you cannot win without some "luck"...this is from the man who set the standard for UA basketball...

Luck vs. unLuck...

Do we need to rehash the bad luck Sean Miller has persevered through? Do I need remind of the injuries and bad luck from Brandon Ashley, Ray Smith, Trier, Rawle Alkins, and now Brandon Williams (and yes even Jeters back spasms)???

Do you think Lute Olson wins a title or makes a run with the same stream of bad LUCK????

What if we lost Bibby for a season due to a torn ACL?

Does Lute win if Steve Kerr test positive for a pain killer after a car wreck?

Does Lute win if Salim Stoudamire is out half a season?

Does Lute win if his entire program and recruiting class is targeted by ESPN after the NCAA penalizes him for violations?

Does Lute win if every national broadcast says he should be fired because of an assistant?

Does Lute win if Jay Bilas goes on national TV and says "I don't see a way Lute Olson ever coaches college basketball again"????

We're comparing apples to orangutans here...in some ways Miller has been the perfect coach...I don't see anyone else weathering the storms he's weathered and still bringing a top level team to McKale where the faithful cheer and celebrate the amazing wins and never remember what he's been through.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Lute survived Bagel-gate and The Great Vending Machine Robbery with nary a scratch. Teflon Lute, man . . .
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Lute survived Bagel-gate and The Great Vending Machine Robbery with nary a scratch. Teflon Lute, man . . .
Yea I remember hearing Dan Dakich saying during a Duke game "Whats it take for Lute Olson to get fired there?" after those fiascos...

All those fucking sports controversy whores calling games back then...so glad thats not the case now.

</sarcasm off>...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hoping this season becomes Millers crowning glory. I think the PAC is the second best conference behind the Big 10 and thus will be proven out once we get to March.

Multiple sweet 16 teams and I think a couple play in the round of 8. I also think we have the biggest upside of any team in America. From Clips analysis it seems we have a bunch of new wrinkles, maybe from Sean, or from Murphy.

In the past we would say Miller always points to March and he still hasn’t lost as a higher seed as often as Lute did. I love our coach and I think we get some road wins here soon and our confidence goes through the roof as a team
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Bump for the pending shitstorm.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

And who's fault is that, Sean?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

AZCatGirl wrote: And who's fault is that, Sean?
Yeah no shit.

After you’ve hit a FF you can go all K on your kids. Till then, try not burning timeouts and let the Players play.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

I thought I was Captain Obvious :lol:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yeah and that’s on coach.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Was at the game this 100 percent. Once Nico went to the bech in the first half Coach Miller started micro managing and calling out every play the rest of the game. We never played loose or confident in rhythm again the rest of the game. My buddy who played college ball was with me not a Devil or Wildcat fan. His observation was that the players were looking at miller the whole 2nd half and looked timid. Let them play. As soon as we stopped pushing the tempo we started to loose the effort battle imo.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm done guys. You can see me in the baseball/softball forum because that's all I give a shit about now. There's no coming back from a 22 point lead blown against your rivals who are fucking terrible. Miller has lost me for good.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This is fast becoming one of the more disappointing seasons for Miller at AZ, given the talent on this roster and the number of times we’ve lost very winnable games.

Still gotta let this play out and see where they finish, but I don’t see a lot of effective coaching happening at the moment. Choke away a 22 point lead vs. your rival in a game you needed to win? Just can’t happen. And Miller knows it.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

He just doesn’t have the juice anymore as sad as it is to say...really hope we can find a mutual exit that is a win win...but yeah I think this year should be it for coach Miller/Zona.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'm done guys. You can see me in the baseball/softball forum because that's all I give a shit about now. There's no coming back from a 22 point lead blown against your rivals who are fucking terrible. Miller has lost me for good.
Adia Barnes and the women's basketball team wouldn't mind your attention
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Lando05 wrote:Was at the game this 100 percent. Once Nico went to the bech in the first half Coach Miller started micro managing and calling out every play the rest of the game. We never played loose or confident in rhythm again the rest of the game. My buddy who played college ball was with me not a Devil or Wildcat fan. His observation was that the players were looking at miller the whole 2nd half and looked timid. Let them play. As soon as we stopped pushing the tempo we started to loose the effort battle imo.
yep
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I'm done guys. You can see me in the baseball/softball forum because that's all I give a shit about now. There's no coming back from a 22 point lead blown against your rivals who are fucking terrible. Miller has lost me for good.
Yeah, as frustrating as the men are right now, the women have more than earned all our support.
This struck me as odd as well. Especially when golden boy Dylan Smith gets a never ending supply of chances.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

As calls for a coaching change grow louder, I’m really feeling the weight of Lute’s legacy. For those old enough to have attended (or just rooted for) UofA during the Olson years, the feeling set in at some point that we had “arrived” as an elite program. But after 19 years of no FFs, the reality is that we’re not in that rarefied space occupied by the true elites. We continue to attract excellent players year after year, but the actual success of a program is measured in wins. Not just any wins, either. Wins in March. Wins in big games. Miller deserves credit for the big wins he’s had, and there have indeed been some. But they’re happening less frequently, and for a while now, the team seems to be stagnating rather than thriving as the season wears on.

Like everyone, I wanted Miller’s tenure to resemble Lute’s: multiple decades at the helm, multiple FFs, an adoring fan base and campus community. It hasn’t happened. And maybe it’s silly to imagine that any coach could approximate Lute’s success. But I’m at the point where I’m ready to give someone else a chance. I respect Sean Miller and wish him nothing but the best, but it’s time to part ways.
Last edited by Beachcat97 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:Dear Coach Miller,

You’re blowing it.

This was supposed to be the year we forgot about the scandals and early exits. This was supposed to be the season we focused on the on-court success, not the off-court distractions.

If your team can’t beat any halfway decent competition and looks like it won’t make any postseason noise, what the hell else are we going to talk about?

You. Are. Blowing. It.

Sincerely,

Chicat
Welp, you’ve blown it. Outside of some miracle Elite 8/Final Four run that NO ONE sees coming, this season is just another case of the “what might have beens”...

So what are you going to do now? The team going to fold it in and lose a bunch in a row like last year? Or are you going to coach them and lead them and turn this shit around?

I guess we are about to see...
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Miller is absolutely micromanaging away his career in Tucson, if not the program's pre-eminent status in the West.

I think we all are figuring out that answer to why Miller is the only top-five recruiter in the game never to get to a Final Four.

What is inexplicable is how he keeps pulling the top talent available when the evidence is mounting as to how consistently it has collapsed under the weight of his inflexibility.

The man needs to go have a heart-to-heart with Lute, or Button Salmon's statue, or some similar Rosetta stone of Wildcat greatness. Make more than just the recruiting period and certain home games fun again. There's no other way I see to get the team to travel well and play to its recruiting ranking.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

catgrad97 wrote:Miller is absolutely micromanaging away his career in Tucson, if not the program's pre-eminent status in the West.
Don't worry about the program, it will survive Miller's clownery just fine after he's gone.
catgrad97 wrote:
What is inexplicable is how he keeps pulling the top talent available when the evidence is mounting as to how consistently it has collapsed under the weight of his inflexibility.
The Arizona name matters, which is why the program will survive.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
You are correct, they certainly deserve my attention.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

I'm really torn about Miller.

He has done an amazing job at AZ. Several conference titles. Many big wins on the road. Some great tourney runs.

I feel that we are starting to see his effectiveness here at AZ dwindle. That press conference last night sounds like the same press conference I've heard the last 2-3 Februarys.

It scares the crap out of me to consider letting Sean go, because I really respect what he has done and fear a replacement can't match it.

But maybe a change would be good for Miller and Arizona.

Top names on my list would be- Scott Drew, Chris Beard, Greg Marshall.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Well this is going to get interesting. By all accounts the Athletic Department is not in the best of shape and its become relatively well known that Robbins and Heeke's leadership is resembling more and more a clown show that is weak, dysfunctional and looking more and more impotent.

We know about the moribund football program and its years of flailing and flopping about with little direction, poor coaching, lack of funds and countless unorganized internal dynamics playing against it.

In the past we always had the basketball program to save the Athletic Departments ass and keep the greater sports functions afloat, and it still may.

But the natives are getting restless with Miller and it appears that there are some internal dysfunction that may be bubbling under the surface.

The foreboding NCAA BS still lies ahead of the BB program and there will be no amount of excuses that will wish that set of debilitating dynamics away. It must and will play out and weaken the BB program and coach to some extent.

Its starting to look a bit dicey moving forward because if the basketball program falls on hard times for a few years to go along with a perennial under-performing football program and if Miller is unable to break through that mystifying ceiling it could real uncomfortable for the entire sport structure really quick.

I want nothing but the best for our coaches and school and want to see stability as much as the next person. But you'd have to be a complete fool if you're not atleast willing to acknowledge and entertain the concept of being concerned.

Anyway just some general thoughts to contemplate because I could see a scenario where there is kind of a high impact Force Majeure situation culminating with coaches and top level leadership movement creating a perfect storm scenario.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Miller is absolutely micromanaging away his career in Tucson, if not the program's pre-eminent status in the West.
Don't worry about the program, it will survive Miller's clownery just fine after he's gone.
catgrad97 wrote:
The Arizona name matters, which is why the program will survive.
When choo speaks I listen.

This post speaks volumes. And that is reassuring.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

my other problem with Miller is that he's always such a tight ass. It might be nice to get somebody a little more laid back and fun. Like a Chris Beard.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I would love Chris beard
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chris Beard signed a long term contract and is the 3rd highest paid coach in the nation. He isn't going anywhere. Beard also turned down UNLV since he wanted to be closer to his kids in TX.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Chris Beard signed a long term contract and is the 3rd highest paid coach in the nation. He isn't going anywhere. Beard also turned down UNLV since he wanted to be closer to his kids in TX.
He actually agreed to take the UNLV job, literally signed his contract and every thing, and then Tech opened up real late in the process and he ran to them because his daughter lives in the area. If we wanted to pay more to get Beard we could, that wouldn't be the issue, the issue is he's probably not leaving Tech for a job that's not a blue blood or NBA job.

Here's a coach who very well will be likely looking for a job after this year:

John Beilein
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

AZCatGirl wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Yeah, as frustrating as the men are right now, the women have more than earned all our support.
This struck me as odd as well. Especially when golden boy Dylan Smith gets a never ending supply of chances.
this is hilariously awful coaching

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote: this is hilariously awful coaching
Just think there's a large portion of the fanbase scared to move on from the guy, because they're scared of the unknown.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Just think there's a large portion of the fanbase scared to move on from the guy, because they're scared of the unknown.
That’s me. And right now I’m at peace with that.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
That’s me. And right now I’m at peace with that.
I'm scared of Bobby Robbins, every thing else though I'm ok.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Canning Sean Miller would be bad timing right now.

If we wanted to part ways with CSM the correct time would have been 2018 in tandem with self sanctions. That time has passed.

We need to stick with Miller until (at least) the upcoming NCAA sanctions are dropped. There is the possibility that we might lessen sanctions by throwing Millers scalp to the NCAA as a doggie bone.

If we do part ways with CSM (which I am still stubbornly not wild about) I would only be happy with an established successful head coach. I still hear the crys of "We can do better than Tomey" in my subconcious.

Greg Marshall

(Beard would be good but I doubt we pull him out of TTech with the NCAA thing looming over our heads)
Last edited by dmjcat on Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
this is hilariously awful coaching
It wasn't hilarious for those of us sitting in WFA last night surrounded by the unwashed.

What gets me is that Dylan Smith crapped the bed 3 out of the first 4 2nd half possessions and somehow he isn't held to the same standard as Hazzard.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:Chris Beard signed a long term contract and is the 3rd highest paid coach in the nation. He isn't going anywhere. Beard also turned down UNLV since he wanted to be closer to his kids in TX.
He actually agreed to take the UNLV job, literally signed his contract and every thing, and then Tech opened up real late in the process and he ran to them because his daughter lives in the area. If we wanted to pay more to get Beard we could, that wouldn't be the issue, the issue is he's probably not leaving Tech for a job that's not a blue blood or NBA job.

Here's a coach who very well will be likely looking for a job after this year:

John Beilein
There's a lot of uncertainty involved with getting rid of Miller, but if we can get John Beilein, I would fire him the second the season ends.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Yes to Beilein. That’s a homerun hire and a half.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Yes to Beilein. That’s a homerun hire and a half.
Beilein is 66 years old..........not a long term solution (or even medium term) .

Greg Marshall

(or Sean Miller if we are able to (somehow) skate past the NCAA mess unscathed)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Yes to Beilein. That’s a homerun hire and a half.
Beilein is 66 years old..........not a long term solution (or even medium term) .

Greg Marshall

(or Sean Miller if we are able to (somehow) skate past the NCAA mess unscathed)
I don’t care. He’s such a distinguished, reputable college coach that you let him stabilize the program for a few years and hire some solid assistants.

This is the way.