Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

OriginalAZ

Re: Sean Miller

Post by OriginalAZ »

Sean Miller needs to go. Our program has been regressing for years. It used to seem like a Final Four was within reach every year. Now it's just hoping we make it in the tournament with little hope that we advance very far. These games are just frustrating to watch.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Oh, Sean. The guy just doesn't look well.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Beachcat97 wrote:Oh, Sean. The guy just doesn't look well.
Watching Miller this season and especially last night reminds me of the finger in the dike saying where everything is crumbling around you. He knows it's slipping away and there's nothing he can do about it. It has to be frustrating but I feel he's brought most of it on himself. I still feel for the guy but a change would be best for himself and the University IMHO. I'm thankful for what he's done but sometimes a coach just hits a point where it's time to move on. I think he still has gas in the tank and could still succeed somewhere else. Another mid major coaching job would be a step down but possibly a wise move. For now just getting the NCAA investigation over with will be a tremendous weight lifted off his shoulders. I'm sick of that dark cloud looming over the program.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I think Sean was a little over sensitive after what happened to josh last week.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I worry that CSM is burned out.

Not worried about how that affects the program, but worried for him as a person.

As much as I want someone who lives and dies for Arizona Basketball as our coach, I don’t mean that literally.

The stress is evident. He’s sweating through his clothes in the first half on a regular basis. He put all that weight he lost back on, and maybe even a little more. He looks tired. Haggard. Like he doesn’t want to be doing what he’s doing.

I hope this off-season he takes a long hard look in the mirror. It helps no one if he works himself sick for something maybe he no longer has the energy and will to achieve.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:I worry that CSM is burned out.

Not worried about how that affects the program, but worried for him as a person.

As much as I want someone who lives and dies for Arizona Basketball as our coach, I don’t mean that literally.

The stress is evident. He’s sweating through his clothes in the first half on a regular basis. He put all that weight he lost back on, and maybe even a little more. He looks tired. Haggard. Like he doesn’t want to be doing what he’s doing.

I hope this off-season he takes a long hard look in the mirror. It helps no one if he works himself sick for something maybe he no longer has the energy and will to achieve.
Also, he really doesn't have other interests/hobbies, does he?

If seven players are leaving this year, he might also consider stepping aside for a year or two...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote:
Chicat wrote:I worry that CSM is burned out.

Also, he really doesn't have other interests/hobbies, does he?

If seven players are leaving this year, he might also consider stepping aside for a year or two...
It ain't happening after this year. We'll see about next year though.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What a pile of crap. He has no proof Miller cancelled because he wouldn’t like the questions. Is he also going to throw shit at any other coach who isn’t able to or doesn’t want to give him an interview?

I really wish I hadn’t given the Old Gray Whore a click.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I am all for getting rid of Sean Miller, but the NY Times should be ashamed or are incredible desperate to have published this article. To sum it up for those who do not want to waste their time, the article essentially says; There is cheating in college basketball, I asked Sean Miller for an interview and he wasn't available.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Chicat wrote:
What a pile of crap. He has no proof Miller cancelled because he wouldn’t like the questions. Is he also going to throw shit at any other coach who isn’t able to or doesn’t want to give him an interview?

I know. Sorry. Happened to have caught the headline on Twitter so thought I'd share. On par with, say, "Here, please, have some coronavirus!"
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I aRe JoUrNoLiSt

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Pop McKale wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I know. Sorry. Happened to have caught the headline on Twitter so thought I'd share. On par with, say, "Here, please, have some coronavirus!"
We used to have a “no quoting the whole article” rule back in the day so that journalists would get the traffic they need to stay employed but these assholes deserve to have their shit disseminated without getting the clicks.

That article was infuriatingly stupid. A fucking word salad that proves nothing except that CSM was 100% correct in deciding to ignore that hack.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Arizona shouldn't have even wasted their time having Jack and Blalock humor the moron.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The timing of this article really sucks.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:The timing of this article really sucks.
I don't think any one any where will care about it, because it says nothing except Miller agreed to an interview and didn't do it. Wow, breaking news.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I don't think any one any where will care about it, because it says nothing except Miller agreed to an interview and didn't do it. Wow, breaking news.
I wouldn't put it past social media to make this mole hill into a fucking mountain, but hopefully you're right. I'd really like it if Sean didn't have to answer questions about the article during these final weeks of the season.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

It was weird that they never used Book’s name. It seemed they tried to avoid it, even though he was convicted.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Even weirder that the missed interview happened in December and this bullshit comes out two plus months later.

“Real slow news day since no one important got Coronavirus. What you got?”

“I’ve got that hit piece I wrote when I was pissed the Arizona basketball coach blew off our interview...”

“Hmmm, ok, it’s either that or a follow up story on the pizza rat. Fuck it, let’s run it.”
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:Even weirder that the missed interview happened in December and this bullshit comes out two plus months later.

“Real slow news day since no one important got Coronavirus. What you got?”

“I’ve got that hit piece I wrote when I was pissed the Arizona basketball coach blew off our interview...”

“Hmmm, ok, it’s either that or a follow up story on the pizza rat. Fuck it, let’s run it.”
It's this kind of shit that keeps me rooting for Sean, even as I continue to support a coaching change. I will root for Sean to succeed because it will force these writers to say nice things about him, just once. And if he's fired this year or next, I'll keep following his career and hope for him to win games. He's a good guy who's been done wrong, imo.
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

The U of A media office blew it by failing to recognize the Powell is not a sports writer -- he is a borderline tabloid level sensationalist.

But methinks Powell must be leaving a few details out about the process.

I can't imagine he was not told up front that Miller would not say a word about Book/FBI/Ayton/Quinnerly etc. and would instead simply direct the reporter to his public statement like he has to every other reporter since the statement came out. And yet Powell nonetheless travels from NYC to Tucson and then is "surprised" that he does not get an exclusive one on one opportunity to grill Miller on those topics.

"So many questions" that he knew were not going to be answered from the start.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Say what you want about GB (turncoat, ass kisser, etc) but our AD right now is totally amateur hour.

Midmajor AD
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

I think he resigns after the season.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:I think he resigns after the season.
I think you ate paint chips as a child.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:
I think you ate paint chips as a child.
Now, don't blame him for that. In the house he grew up in you ate what's on your plate or you got beat with a chainsaw.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
eoe

Post by eoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
You're right, no one cares. A blip for the jaded reporter.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

eoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
You're right, no one cares. A blip for the jaded reporter.
Most significant retweet the story got was from Greg Hansen so that should tell you how little traction it's getting.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Who, Bill Self?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote:
I think you ate lead based paint chips as a child.
Corrected it for you.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Thoughts?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote: Thoughts?
I mean he'd be a candidate. This is his first season in 4 years of winning more than 14 games though. Only good win they had all year really was over St. Mary's.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

no
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote: Thoughts?
I mean he'd be a candidate. This is his first season in 4 years of winning more than 14 games though. Only good win they had all year really was over St. Mary's.
Yeah... but if a big name wasn't interested.... I'd take a gamble.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote:no
Listen.... I was scheduled to do some tutoring with Damon back in the day and he never showed up. Pissed me off.

If I'm willing to give him a chance!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:
Listen.... I was scheduled to do some tutoring with Damon back in the day and he never showed up. Pissed me off.

Shouldn't this be in the "Legalize It" thread? ;)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97, is this because you think we can get a bigger name? I'm not ready to rule out AZ alums whose coaching careers are trending upwards.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote:

:lol: my man!!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Beachcat97 wrote:
97, is this because you think we can get a bigger name? I'm not ready to rule out AZ alums whose coaching careers are trending upwards.
no, this is because Sean Miller is still the coach and the season isnt over yet...if hes not at some point, Stoudamire isnt the answer, ever
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
no, this is because Sean Miller is still the coach and the season isnt over yet...if hes not at some point, Stoudamire isnt the answer, ever
Who is?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

not Stoudamire
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Ben Lindsey was national COY too, for the JCs.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

97cats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Wow I'd love to learn why! Appreciate the information as always my man.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

tldr
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

My flight to Tucson going through Vegas has the CSU mens team on their way to MWC tourney.

Should I ask this guy if he wants the job?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niko_Medved
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UAEebs86 wrote:My flight to Tucson going through Vegas has the CSU mens team on their way to MWC tourney.

Should I ask this guy if he wants the job?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niko_Medved
No. But if you pass Tony Bennett, John Beilein or Billy Donovan, please do offer it to them.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Brandon Lloyd is not good at lip reading.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Im not quite sure what he said
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I think he said, "hey, you wanna come over for tea?"
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.