Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Alieberman »

Welcome back BTD!

You know you are welcome here when things aren’t a shitshow!!!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Damon would basically be a Juwan Howard hire. And like Howard, Damon would recruit very well and energize the fan base. I can see a lot of upside; I just know that many here aren't convinced of his coaching ability. Again, coaching hires are always a crapshoot. You feel lucky?
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Hahaha, sadly we've found a ton of shitshows. I follow the threads from time to time. I don't watch the football team anymore so that kind of killed a good chunk of my discussion desires but I look forward to post season runs in baseball and softball.

Thrilled Adia is thriving!
BibbysTowelDude

I'm also gonna disagree bigly on coaching hires being crapshoots.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Sean Miller's undying loyalty and blind love for Book Richardson - not one thing else - is the underlying reason he is jobless today.

all the other reasons or excuses are a derivative of that one simple fact.

i know where all the bodies are buried, and so did Book Richardson - tough day for Arizona Basketball and Sean Miller
Last edited by 97cats on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:01 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:54 am
It would be funny to me if we fired a guy because he didn't make the Final Four in 17 years as a HC, then hired a guy who didn't make the Final Four in his first 17 years as an assistant. You can't sell me on Lloyd.
So what more must Lloyd do, in your eyes, to merit consideration for a job like AZ? Does he need to have success at a smaller program? I think by the time you wait for a guy like Lloyd to better distinguish himself, you've sorta missed the bus. Coaching is always a little of a crapshoot. Taking a risk on a young assistant at an elite program is not the worst idea in the world.

And the bigger picture, of course, is that the next hire could completely backfire. This is the perspective we need to keep in mind with Sean Miller. There was absolutely no guarantee that he could keep us at or near the level Lute took us, but he did. Miller could've gone five seasons with first-round losses and middling Pac finishes, and maybe he would've been gone sooner. But again, he was successful beyond any reasonable expectations. The chances of getting that lucky again, with the next coach, are not great. This is why so many, myself included, are upset today.
Arizona is regularly ranked as a top ten job. I would say we are 100% top 15 at the worst.

I don't understand saying we'd miss the bus if he had 2-3 years at a midmajor. A top 15 program should easily be able to pull that. Mussleman went to Arkansas, which is clearly not a top 15 job, after 4 good years at Nevada.

YOLO is not an effective hiring strategy. Muller has 10x the resume Lloyd does and had a top 15 roster in the fold.

Hiring Lloyd would literally be hiring someone who might turn out to be comparable to Sean Miller if things go well.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

I think our chances of landing a top notch coach flew out the door in 2018 when we decided to ride the Miller horse.

It would take a miracle to get Musselman/Beard to move with the mess we are in (IARP hanging over our heads like a Sword of Damocles)

I am afraid we are going to have to settle for a promising 2nd tier coach at this point.

I already posted this in another thread but I think that Mark Pope of BYU should be given a long look. I have been impressed with his teams. They are extremely well coached on both sides of the ball.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:12 pm Damon would basically be a Juwan Howard hire. And like Howard, Damon would recruit very well and energize the fan base. I can see a lot of upside; I just know that many here aren't convinced of his coaching ability. Again, coaching hires are always a crapshoot. You feel lucky?
Damon has not recruited to Pacific (not even low three stars) or at his stops at Arizona and Memphis, what makes you think he will all of a sudden start recruiting? Also, he has a losing record in a weak conference. Don't give me the its Pacific spiel, past coaches have done better than Damon. Thats not a sign of a successful coach.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We really don't need to be hiring someone who has never ran a program before. Arizona shouldn't be OJT
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ASUHATER! wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:25 pm We really don't need to be hiring someone who has never ran a program before. Arizona shouldn't be OJT
So that rules out JET and Miles.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Does the UofA even have the money to hire a guy like Musselman? Going to be interesting to see how the UofA professors are going to react at buying out another coach.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:12 pm Damon would basically be a Juwan Howard hire. And like Howard, Damon would recruit very well and energize the fan base. I can see a lot of upside; I just know that many here aren't convinced of his coaching ability. Again, coaching hires are always a crapshoot. You feel lucky?
Damon hasn't done particularly well at Pacific (.480 win %) and he's been there 5 years. What, he's all of a sudden going to figure it out at Arizona?
NorCalCat

Post by NorCalCat »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagori ... 42d0195b00

I mean....
Sean Miller went 302-109 (.735) during his tenure at Arizona, with seven NCAA Tournament appearances, including two Elite Eights. The Wildcats haven’t won an NCAA Tournament game since 2017.
Also...
Scott Drew: Drew, 50, is fresh off winning the NCAA title game and it probably wouldn’t hurt Arizona to kick the tires and see if they can lure him to the Pac-12 from the Big 12.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:01 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:54 am
It would be funny to me if we fired a guy because he didn't make the Final Four in 17 years as a HC, then hired a guy who didn't make the Final Four in his first 17 years as an assistant. You can't sell me on Lloyd.
So what more must Lloyd do, in your eyes, to merit consideration for a job like AZ? Does he need to have success at a smaller program? I think by the time you wait for a guy like Lloyd to better distinguish himself, you've sorta missed the bus. Coaching is always a little of a crapshoot. Taking a risk on a young assistant at an elite program is not the worst idea in the world.

And the bigger picture, of course, is that the next hire could completely backfire. This is the perspective we need to keep in mind with Sean Miller. There was absolutely no guarantee that he could keep us at or near the level Lute took us, but he did. Miller could've gone five seasons with first-round losses and middling Pac finishes, and maybe he would've been gone sooner. But again, he was successful beyond any reasonable expectations. The chances of getting that lucky again, with the next coach, are not great. This is why so many, myself included, are upset today.
You had no idea who Lloyd was two days ago. He brought some good overseas recruits to the Zags. I get it. Now do your homework and in one year who brought in the highest rated overseas players? I would take Sampson over the field on the quality of coach we could honestly hope to get right now. Some coaches are just better assistants and there is nothing wrong with that.

I truly believe it will be Lloyd because that is the kind of "out of the box thinking" that Robbins will use to prove his genius. It will also be a disaster.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Lots of different opinions on Lloyd in this thread. What's funny is that I don't even think he wants to leave Gonzaga. He's been promised that job when Few retires, and from the sound of things, he loves Spokane.

I will be very pleasantly surprised if folks here are happy with the new hire. Would surprise me much less if the next hire is regarded as a disaster.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:46 pm Lloyd is the coach in waiting at Gonzaga. They were just in the Natty and he’s turned down offers before.

Just sayin.
Who knows if the Lloyd rumors are even true, or if he is the right candidate for AZ, but Few probably has another 10 years on the bench, so it seems doubtful Lloyd waits around that long if a great job opens up. Not withstanding the current baggage surrounding this program, AZ is still a major job and a program that can legitimately compete at a championship level. One suspects if Lloyd is offered the job, he will give it serious consideration.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:21 pm I think our chances of landing a top notch coach flew out the door in 2018 when we decided to ride the Miller horse.

It would take a miracle to get Musselman/Beard to move with the mess we are in (IARP hanging over our heads like a Sword of Damocles)

I am afraid we are going to have to settle for a promising 2nd tier coach at this point.

I already posted this in another thread but I think that Mark Pope of BYU should be given a long look. I have been impressed with his teams. They are extremely well coached on both sides of the ball.
You are so stupid. Do you know where Beard coaches. FN idiot. Musselman to me is a glad hander that moves whenever the results are not quite what was expected. He exceeded expectations this year so I don't see him moving soon. He would be a comparable move and he knows how to work the portal I just don't like him or his attitude.
Last edited by TheCat on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Someone that might hire Sean immediately is Pitino. A big FU to the NCAA and give him cover for a year or so.
BibbysTowelDude

I'd take Joey Pasternak over Lloyd...

If you want a UA Alum, why not just go wild and grab Matt Brase, he'll coach em some fun basketball! 😎
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Lloyd being happy at Gonzaga means nothing, Few is there for another 8-10 years, in the meantime Lloyd could prove himself somewhere else and always go back home...

Sounds to me like Robbins thinks he's some kind of "coach hiring expert" and wants Lloyd because he likes to count his chickens before they've even played one game.

Lloyd it is since no one in Tucson but Robbins is calling the shots.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Basketcats wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:01 pm This may sound stupid, but what if Robbins/Heeke are of the mindset that delaying the extension will force CSM to walk away from the UofA and by doing so make him look like the bad guy for everything that has transpired over the past few years.
After the Fisch hiring fiasco, I had a bad feeling that what I stated above was transpiring. When knob slobbin Robbins realized CSM wasn't gonna back down and quit, his hand was forced. He had to stop jerking everyone off. I feel bad for coach. He doesn't deserve any of this BS. Those of you who wanted him gone got your wish. Thanks for condemning the program to years of nothingness now. #BozoBobby
Last edited by Basketcats on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

The boosters need to throw their weight around and get Robbins out of the AD. He's single handedly destroying the department.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:30 pm You had no idea who Lloyd was two days ago. He brought some good overseas recruits to the Zags. I get it. Now do your homework and in one year who brought in the highest rated overseas players? I would take Sampson over the field on the quality of coach we could honestly hope to get right now. Some coaches are just better assistants and there is nothing wrong with that.

I truly believe it will be Lloyd because that is the kind of "out of the box thinking" that Robbins will use to prove his genius. It will also be a disaster.
100%.

It would be a joke to fire Miller, who has outrecruited Gonzaga, and then be happy about Lloyd's recruiting. You literally will have fired the guy who was outrecruiting Lloyd to get Lloyd.

Agreed totally on Robbins. He appears to have a fascination with being different. Maybe that works in football, because Arizona needed something different with a losing coach and winless roster. In basketball...we had a winning coach and a top 15 roster.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:47 pm He appears to have a fascination with being different.
Well, shit...I'd be happy to recommend to him some excellent self-help literature so he can find ways to deal "with being different" that don't involve blowing up our basketball program.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Any word from the Heeke’s Press Conference other than excuses?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

splitsecond wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:48 am All this talk and not one person has said anything about the fact that maybe, just maybe, watching Mick Fucking Cronin get to a final four in YEAR TWO with UCLA might have a little something to do with this.

I hate Heeke, Robbins and the ABOR as much as anyone here, but the reality is Sean Miller has done nothing but underperform for several years now. 12 years, no Final Four. Middlin' Mick: 2 years, final four.

I don't like the way it all came about and it is completely par for the course for the idiots that run the university. I also have nothing but love for Miller. But we all need to get out of the sunk cost fallacy and admit that it was time. We were not getting to a final four with Miller.

And if Final Fours and championships are not the goal, what the fuck is the point?
So the plan is to hire a new coach and in year two be an 11-seed in a play-in game and hope we are on the receiving end of some crapshoot tourney magic?

Ok...

:lol:

The obsession with Final Fours is comical.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

MountainCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:53 pm Any word from the Heeke’s Press Conference other than excuses?

It's in a half hour
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

I hope I'm wrong, but this feels like when we fired Rich Rod and we are heading into the Sumlin abyss.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Robbins and Heeke turning "Dumb and Dumber" into a live action documentary...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I have to think Pastner is salivating at this morning's news.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

UofAlum05 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:54 pm
Floyd or Lloyd?

I’m confused.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:57 pm I have to think Pastner is salivating at this morning's news.
Hard pass
-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:54 pm
splitsecond wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:48 am All this talk and not one person has said anything about the fact that maybe, just maybe, watching Mick Fucking Cronin get to a final four in YEAR TWO with UCLA might have a little something to do with this.

I hate Heeke, Robbins and the ABOR as much as anyone here, but the reality is Sean Miller has done nothing but underperform for several years now. 12 years, no Final Four. Middlin' Mick: 2 years, final four.

I don't like the way it all came about and it is completely par for the course for the idiots that run the university. I also have nothing but love for Miller. But we all need to get out of the sunk cost fallacy and admit that it was time. We were not getting to a final four with Miller.

And if Final Fours and championships are not the goal, what the fuck is the point?
So the plan is to hire a new coach and in year two be an 11-seed in a play-in game and hope we are on the receiving end of some crapshoot tourney magic?

Ok...

:lol:

The obsession with Final Fours is comical.
The funny part for the Final Four brigade is NONE of our rumored replacements has made a Final Four.

Maybe Lloyd if you count his assistant tenure, but as I posed earlier, he had been an assistant for longer than Miller was an HC before Zaga made their first FF.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Robert A Booey wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:55 pm I hope I'm wrong, but this feels like when we fired Rich Rod and we are heading into the Sumlin abyss.
That is exactly what I felt earlier. The basketball program is heading into an abyss of meaningless existence.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Well said Coach.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

After the Warriors had their worse lost ever last week, maybe Kerr will reconsider going back to college and come home.

I know, I know...
BibbysTowelDude

What a place to be when you find yourself hoping for Greg McDermott! I need to find my trusty rolling.emoji!!

I'd like to think we're coming to a space in the world where analytics has won the day and people realize the NCAA Tournament is goofier than a pet raccoon. Where's my analrapists at?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Does anyone know if the presser will be streamed?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:54 am There goes Az basketball for the next 5-6 years at least...there is NO coach available that can recover this big a mistake in any foreseeable future.

Just gutted the entire team, players would be idiots to stay in this mess...

Robbins needs to be fired asap and Heeke with him. gutless dickless idiots.
The program had already entered mediocrity, where it will likely remain until someone can revive it. It was questionable if Miller could truly right the course. Some fans were asserting things were going to be as good as ever, that it was a simple change in recruiting philosophy, and perhaps that is true to some degree (with respect to recruiting), but the program and Miller’s rep were tarnished and a number of fans and supporters were not convinced this was going to get better. Time will tell if this was the right move.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

ztonyg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:47 pm The boosters need to throw their weight around and get Robbins out of the AD. He's single handedly destroying the department.
Speaking of, are Cole and Jeannie Davis done as boosters now? They were Miller's biggest fans.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

TheCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:03 pm Does anyone know if the presser will be streamed?
1290 is carrying it. Use their app or maybe TuneIn.
-JB
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:01 pm Well said Coach.
Always honest and classy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AZCatGirl wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:01 pm Well said Coach.
Amazing how the successful coaches at Arizona like Barnes and Candrea had a high opinion of Miller. Guess they just don't know as much about coaching success as a heart surgeon.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

TheCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:33 am So what is obvious to me and what I posted earlier when this was rumored was that the only way the timing made sense was that it had to be a coach in the final four. My thoughts being Huston's current coach (Sampson) that knows the PAC. I now believe that it is Lloyd. It will happen quickly and turn out as well as Washington hiring their long time Syracuse assistant. Disaster all around.
This is what I'm afraid of.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
BibbysTowelDude

Candrea probably sleeping with one eye open. Robby Bobbins has a crush on the volunteer assistant at Incarnate Word.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Press conference in 15 min
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:04 pm
CatFanOneMil wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:54 am There goes Az basketball for the next 5-6 years at least...there is NO coach available that can recover this big a mistake in any foreseeable future.

Just gutted the entire team, players would be idiots to stay in this mess...

Robbins needs to be fired asap and Heeke with him. gutless dickless idiots.
The program had already entered mediocrity, where it will likely remain until someone can revive it. It was questionable if Miller could truly right the course. Some fans were asserting things were going to be as good as ever, that it was a simple change in recruiting philosophy, and perhaps that is true to some degree (with respect to recruiting), but the program and Miller’s rep were tarnished and a number of fans and supporters were not convinced this was going to get better. Time will tell if this was the right move.
We were coming off two years where we would have been a tourney team if it was possible and projected in the top 15.

Any fan who thinks that's mediocrity, well, I think we may learn what mediocrity actually looks like and the last few years ain't it.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:43 am This is wrong in so many ways. AZ hoops will recover, however long it takes. It's wrong because Sean Miller deserved better than this.
I'll continue to say it: we've had the worst roster continuity in the nation over the last three seasons. Nothing has been more detrimental to our success on the court than that fact. And it all started because of the FBI drop and the ESPN slander. Miller was able to get us through those three years while still playing winning basketball. And we finally - FINALLY - have the opportunity for an offseason of stability, guys coming back, dudes who have been in the system developing. And Robbins? Nukes the whole thing. What a collosal fuck you to the fanbase, to the players, and to Miller.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

TheCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:39 pm
dmjcat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:21 pm I think our chances of landing a top notch coach flew out the door in 2018 when we decided to ride the Miller horse.

You are so stupid. Do you know where Beard coaches. FN idiot. Musselman to me is a glad hander that moves whenever the results are not quite what was expected. He exceeded expectations this year so I don't see him moving soon. He would be a comparable move and he knows how to work the portal I just don't like him or his attitude.

Your response is so idiotic I don't know where to start.

Beard is the head coach at Texas (who has lots of $$$$). We aren't going to get him away from Austin. In 2018 he was the head coach at Texas Tech........at which time we had a realistic chance of getting him.

What is your point??? (assuming you have a sober point to make)
Last edited by dmjcat on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.