Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Merkin »

If Pastner is hired I will be done with the program.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:14 pm If Pastner is hired I will be done with the program.
If I had Twitter I'd tell Kerr to leave. He deserves better.

And again, how striking is it that the people who actually work directly with Miller are all on his side.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:10 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:43 am This is wrong in so many ways. AZ hoops will recover, however long it takes. It's wrong because Sean Miller deserved better than this.
I'll continue to say it: we've had the worst roster continuity in the nation over the last three seasons. Nothing has been more detrimental to our success on the court than that fact. And it all started because of the FBI drop and the ESPN slander. Miller was able to get us through those three years while still playing winning basketball. And we finally - FINALLY - have the opportunity for an offseason of stability, guys coming back, dudes who have been in the system developing. And Robbins? Nukes the whole thing. What a collosal fuck you to the fanbase, to the players, and to Miller.
100%, YDF.

For me, it's the timing that's the worst part of this. They've now either jeopardized or conceded next season. Guys like Mathurin and Tubelis and Kriisa and Akinjo have every right to get the f outta dodge and take their talents elsewhere. They came to AZ to play for Sean Miller, period. They could've given this group a chance to continue what they started this past season.

I think the ABOR and Robbins are spooked by the pending investigation and possible sanctions. There's really no other explanation for firing Miller. They seem to think that a coaching change somehow absolves the school/program, which isn't true.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:09 pm
midnightx wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:04 pm
CatFanOneMil wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:54 am There goes Az basketball for the next 5-6 years at least...there is NO coach available that can recover this big a mistake in any foreseeable future.

Just gutted the entire team, players would be idiots to stay in this mess...

Robbins needs to be fired asap and Heeke with him. gutless dickless idiots.
The program had already entered mediocrity, where it will likely remain until someone can revive it. It was questionable if Miller could truly right the course. Some fans were asserting things were going to be as good as ever, that it was a simple change in recruiting philosophy, and perhaps that is true to some degree (with respect to recruiting), but the program and Miller’s rep were tarnished and a number of fans and supporters were not convinced this was going to get better. Time will tell if this was the right move.
We were coming off two years where we would have been a tourney team if it was possible and projected in the top 15.

Any fan who thinks that's mediocrity, well, I think we may learn what mediocrity actually looks like and the last few years ain't it.
Yes, the product on the floor was mediocre by AZ standards. Suddenly the past couple of years was acceptable because the future with another coach is unknown. Sorry, but the past few years was not enjoyable to watch, and none of those teams ever felt like legitimate contenders — and it isn’t like what was returning was that great. A faction of fans have been trying to convince themselves that the current roster was going to challenge for a title next year — this roster would have been destroyed by the 2012/2013-era roster. Who knows what the post-Miller era will look like, but the current state of the program longer feels elite, and that has to change.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

This is just an absolutely mind boggling situation. Why o' why would you get rid of a coach with his pedigree, recruiting prowess and on court success? Only Belein and Pitino are logical answers and they are short term solutions at best because of their age. Miller has qualities you can't teach. You have a top 25 program on the upswing and you decide to do THIS?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:19 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:10 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:43 am This is wrong in so many ways. AZ hoops will recover, however long it takes. It's wrong because Sean Miller deserved better than this.
I'll continue to say it: we've had the worst roster continuity in the nation over the last three seasons. Nothing has been more detrimental to our success on the court than that fact. And it all started because of the FBI drop and the ESPN slander. Miller was able to get us through those three years while still playing winning basketball. And we finally - FINALLY - have the opportunity for an offseason of stability, guys coming back, dudes who have been in the system developing. And Robbins? Nukes the whole thing. What a collosal fuck you to the fanbase, to the players, and to Miller.
100%, YDF.

For me, it's the timing that's the worst part of this. They've now either jeopardized or conceded next season. Guys like Mathurin and Tubelis and Kriisa and Akinjo have every right to get the f outta dodge and take their talents elsewhere. They came to AZ to play for Sean Miller, period. They could've given this group a chance to continue what they started this past season.

I think the ABOR and Robbins are spooked by the pending investigation and possible sanctions. There's really no other explanation for firing Miller. They seem to think that a coaching change somehow absolves the school/program, which isn't true.
That is why the next hire needs to be done quickly, to try to salvage the best parts of the existing roster. A mass exodus will clearly be very damaging, so bringing someone in quickly to salvage some key pieces is essential. Regardless of one’s loyalty and support of Miller, what is done is done, and it is important to save what can be saved.
Last edited by midnightx on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

one thing i will say, i thought this was going to happen in April 2018 and it didnt. this now being the result, its fair to play monday morning quarterback and admit, if the end goal was always to fire Miller, waiting four years to so was the wrong move.

this didnt haven to play out this way. the wound woulda been immediate and the healing process would already be complete....now arizona will potentially have an open wound for the next decade before it fully heals.

getting rid of and parting ways with Miller is understandable, in fact its defensible.

how it was executed and carried out for the last three years in indefensible.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Too late. TOS making it pretty apparent Akinjo likely gone for good now
I said what I said and I mean it.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ekat

Post by ekat »

BibbysTowelDude wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:44 pm I'd take Joey Pasternak over Lloyd...

If you want a UA Alum, why not just go wild and grab Matt Brase, he'll coach em some fun basketball! 😎
Can’t hire Pasternak because he is knee deep in some of the FBI tapes. The only thing that saved him was he got out of town before any money was actually given to Book.

If we’re throwing out alums, how about Joseph Blair? ;)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Oh boy, the never-were’s are out to dance on Miller’s grave.

:roll:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

VERY REAL - the animosity runs as deep as the loyalty - that has been an issue for the second half of sean miller's tenure at Arizona

that is a big reason and accounts for a ton of negative energy thats been piling up, a large amount of people do not like Miller AT ALL - and there is the problem, there is no middle.

faculty, staff, students, fans, players, coaches, writers, journalists - its a 100% love him or hate him.

the folks who hate him will now all rise...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:27 pm Too late. TOS making it pretty apparent Akinjo likely gone for good now
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

97cats wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:31 pm VERY REAL - the animosity runs as deep as the loyalty - that has been an issue for the second half of sean miller's tenure at Arizona

that is a big reason and accounts for a ton of negative energy thats been piling up, a large amount of people do not like Miller AT ALL - and there is the problem, there is no middle.

faculty, staff, students, fans, players, coaches, writers, journalists - its a 100% love him or hate him.

the folks who hate him will now all rise...
Hansen is so happy right now.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Some of these suggestions have a very Russ Pennell vibe to them...as long as we finish 9-9 in the Pac we'll be fine.

Meanwhile Cronin and Tinkle and Altman and hell even Hurley...

Find me a coach who can recruit under the same conditions Miller did...

I'll wait.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Irish27 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:34 pm
Hansen is so happy right now.
the line is long and distinguished.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Why the fuck won't someone ask him why it was acceptable to let miller actively recruit players knowing he was leaving
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:35 pm Some of these suggestions have a very Russ Pennell vibe to them...as long as we finish 9-9 in the Pac we'll be fine.

I'll wait.
Yes, Miller recruited well under the circumstances. One could also argue that he coached well under the circumstances.

But what a lot of folks on this board are missing is that Miller is RESPONSIBLE for those circumstances. Book was 100% Sean Millers creature. Miller has nobody to blame but himself for what transpired.
Last edited by dmjcat on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:35 pm Some of these suggestions have a very Russ Pennell vibe to them...as long as we finish 9-9 in the Pac we'll be fine.

I'll wait.
Miller did an admirable job recruiting under the FBI/NCAA cloud (which his loyalty to Book ultimately created), but the end-product on the floor was mediocre by AZ standards.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Millers loyalty and LOVE for Book Richardson cost him a 25+ year tenure at Arizona - its that simple.

Richardson was bumbling fool and lability and Miller knew it and didnt fix it

nobody to blame but himself
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

And then ignore that search firm and just do whatever the hell Robbins wants.

Come on, we JUST saw this play out in Football. Why are we wasting money on a search firm again?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Hey here's a thought...maybe Robbins can get KO back and really screw over the program. Think that would make the CSM haters happy?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

FIRED WITHOUT CAUSE... let the games begin...

I see a lot of money changing hands in law firms in our future.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:40 pm Millers loyalty and LOVE for Book Richardson cost him a 25+ year tenure at Arizona - its that simple.

And Arizona’s AD has no one to blame but themselves for sticking by him for years only to scrape him off their shoe like dog shit when he was on the cusp of turning around the misfortune he brought on.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Irish27 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:28 pm
My mom worked at the UA during the Lute years. Guess what, she and all of her friends hated Lute. Said he was a prick who thought too much of himself. Coaches tend to have big egos. These media people are always going to make a name for themselves. Shit happens
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Basketcats wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:43 pm Hey here's a thought...maybe Robbins can get KO back and really screw over the program. Think that would make the CSM haters happy?
the Sean Miller haters at the University and inside the Basketball program want all memories of him gone

its very sad...they want all knew direction, people, resources, and culture.

its truly a sad day for Arizona...you have one side who loves the basketball program and believes Sean Millers style is a direct way to success and other on the opposite side who feels like hes a bully who infected the program with his micro management style, scare tactics and intimidating behavior and they want it stripped down.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

84Cat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:46 pm
Irish27 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:28 pm
My mom worked at the UA during the Lute years. Guess what, she and all of her friends hated Lute. Said he was a prick who thought too much of himself. Coaches tend to have big egos. These media people are always going to make a name for themselves. Shit happens
Seems like Ari has quite the ego himself...
.... although looking at his follower count he may be less of an influencer and more of just a whiny bitch.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:43 pm FIRED WITHOUT CAUSE... let the games begin...

Firing Miller without cause is the one honest thing about this. Hope Miller gets an ass load of money from us.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:44 pm
97cats wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:40 pm Millers loyalty and LOVE for Book Richardson cost him a 25+ year tenure at Arizona - its that simple.

And Arizona’s AD has no one to blame but themselves for sticking by him for years only to scrape him off their shoe like dog shit when he was on the cusp of turning around the misfortune he brought on.
this is 100% true as well

sticking by someone who you're not really sticking by and ignoring the feelings you have toward the problem like an ostrich cause you have no fucking testicles and hiding behind the law and school and letting time warp and infect the problem more all just to do the same thing that was warranted three and a half years earlier is worse than anything book richardson or sean miller may have every done to hurt the program

we all can say that when leadership came to call out poor leadership from its leaders they themselves were the worst and most incompetent and gutlesss leaders themselves which is 100% worse and reprehensible.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

AZCatGirl wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:49 pm
CatFanOneMil wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:43 pm FIRED WITHOUT CAUSE... let the games begin...

Firing Miller without cause is the one honest thing about this. Hope Miller gets an ass load of money from us.
Can we even afford all of this?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

midnightx wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:39 pm Miller did an admirable job recruiting under the FBI/NCAA cloud (which his loyalty to Book ultimately created), but the end-product on the floor was mediocre by AZ standards.
HIGHEST ROSTER TURNOVER IN THE NATION OVER THE LAST THREE SEASONS

Is there a list of coaches who could have turned that into winning - tournament eligible - basketball? How long is that list?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:20 pm Yes, the product on the floor was mediocre by AZ standards. Suddenly the past couple of years was acceptable because the future with another coach is unknown. Sorry, but the past few years was not enjoyable to watch, and none of those teams ever felt like legitimate contenders — and it isn’t like what was returning was that great. A faction of fans have been trying to convince themselves that the current roster was going to challenge for a title next year — this roster would have been destroyed by the 2012/2013-era roster. Who knows what the post-Miller era will look like, but the current state of the program longer feels elite, and that has to change.
The issue is that mediocre by Arizona standards is not actually mediocre, and we can now fall to actual mediocrity.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

97cats wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:47 pm
Basketcats wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:43 pm Hey here's a thought...maybe Robbins can get KO back and really screw over the program. Think that would make the CSM haters happy?
the Sean Miller haters at the University and inside the Basketball program want all memories of him gone

its truly a sad day for Arizona...you have one side who loves the basketball program and believes Sean Millers style is a direct way to success and other on the opposite side who feels like hes a bully who infected the program with his micro management style, scare tactics and intimidating behavior and they want it stripped down.
All new culture? I REALLY hate that. Miller always found the right balance IMO of embracing Lute and the past, as well as paving a future of his own. To see all that erased is just criminal.

I get the feeling we won't even recognize the program this fall. Heartbreaking.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

If I was Miller I'd hire the biggest baddest corporate Law firm on th eplanet and sue the shit out of ESPN, Mark Schlabach, Dick Vitale, Heeke, Robbins, UofA, Greg Hansen and then retire to my own personal island in Fiji I was able to buy from the payout.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:14 pm If Pastner is hired I will be done with the program.
Based on what's been said today, Merk, I really don't expect Pastner to be hired.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Agreed...Sad, sad day for Arizona. Ashamed of my alma mater. Ashamed that the governing body can blatantly lie to someone for years and then backstab them. Band-aid should have been ripped off years ago but it wasn't. This is just as much on them as it is on CSM. The fact that they don't even admit that they were wrong for not doing something sooner makes the institution look completely inept.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

A honest to God tragedy the likes of which not seen since Shakespeare
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AZCatGirl wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:53 pm

All new culture? I REALLY hate that. Miller always found the right balance IMO of embracing Lute and the past, as well as paving a future of his own. To see all that erased is just criminal.

I get the feeling we won't even recognize the program this fall. Heartbreaking.
Here's the funny part. Players liked that culture. The actual people Miller was supposedly at Arizona to work with liked him.

Because people who have nothing with the day to day operations didn't like him, a culture that a lot of players have benefitted from and cared for is getting thrown out.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

They want to erase Miller's culture? That means they're going to get the most corporate, beige, boring, safe, sucky coach they can find. Might as well hire Marriott's cafeteria staff to be the head coach. This is going to suck. This is going to be like dental office waiting room furniture. Wow. I can small the vinyl of this next head coach. I can see the pre-approved statements made at every press conference. This is going to be the most soulless corporate disaster you've ever seen. And then, after that is over we'll hopefully hire a real coach. It's going to take at least three coaches to get back to being a real program. The interim, the safe corporate rebound and then maybe the good coach. Barry the dentist. FML.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

According to heeke in the presser, it was his idea to change leadership after constantly evaluating the program over the last few years. And when asked when the decision was made, he said he made the decision last night/early this morning.

This just sounds weird, there were a lot of weird things in that presser. I'd have to listen to it again but it's not like he contradicted himself a bunch, it's just, there seemed to be thing ls that didn't make sense.

Oh plus, tune in kept playing frickin ads in the middle of the presser. I lost at least 10 min of it.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:53 pm
midnightx wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:20 pm Yes, the product on the floor was mediocre by AZ standards. Suddenly the past couple of years was acceptable because the future with another coach is unknown. Sorry, but the past few years was not enjoyable to watch, and none of those teams ever felt like legitimate contenders — and it isn’t like what was returning was that great. A faction of fans have been trying to convince themselves that the current roster was going to challenge for a title next year — this roster would have been destroyed by the 2012/2013-era roster. Who knows what the post-Miller era will look like, but the current state of the program longer feels elite, and that has to change.
The issue is that mediocre by Arizona standards is not actually mediocre, and we can now fall to actual mediocrity.
Compared to the bottom half of college basketball? I really don’t understand how some fans were content with the past few years. If it gets worse, so be it. Aside from a few bumps in the road during the Lute and early Miller years, most of the basketball was of high quality, that of a national power. That is not how the past few years looked, so who cares if that went on indefinitely?
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Woj reported Sean Miller probably gonna be an nba assistant next year. Good for him. I wish him luck
I said what I said and I mean it.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

You know...

I have been and will always be a supporter of CSM. Back when all of this FBI crap started I wavered a little in my support but vowed to let it all play out. I wanted to give him a chance and let him pull us out of the fire. I honestly believe he was right there. The pieces were all in place and we were primed to make a run. It is all gone now. This cancel culture mentality people have adopted recently is really starting to piss me off. Let people fix their problems, especially when everything points to them being close to doing so.

Dammit. I thought 2020 was left behind and things were going to get better with 2021. First the Sumlin/Fisch garbage and now CSM. The only positive things about Arizona that keep me around now are Candrea and Barnes. If the clowns that be get a wild hair and try to mess with either of those programs, I don't know what I will do.

Just so sad right now. I need a drink.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:48 pm
.... although looking at his follower count he may be less of an influencer and more of just a whiny bitch.
Ding ding ding!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:28 pm Woj reported Sean Miller probably gonna be an nba assistant next year. Good for him. I wish him luck
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

I should start a company as a search firm. What a joke.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I know this is a highly charged time for everyone but let’s keep personal attacks out of it. I’ve grown to hate deleting posts.