BeardownZonaZona

Re: Sean Miller

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Darn I missed it!
I said what I said and I mean it.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:45 pm I know this is a highly charged time for everyone but let’s keep personal attacks out of it. I’ve grown to hate deleting posts.
I'm cool as long a Dave and Bob don't show up here.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:45 pm I know this is a highly charged time for everyone but let’s keep personal attacks out of it. I’ve grown to hate deleting posts.
Yes... be angry at the Admin, coaches, etc but let’s remember we all want what’s best for AZ basketball
BeardownZonaZona

I'd love for Robbins and Heeke to come onto this board or any other board actually. I'd love to give them a piece of my mind
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:36 pm
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:28 pm Woj reported Sean Miller probably gonna be an nba assistant next year. Good for him. I wish him luck
This would be a good move for Miller. Nobody at the college level would touch Miller with a 10 foot pole right now.

Do the NBA thing, let the NCAA mess blow over and then try for a HC position at a smaller school 2-3 years down the road. Sean has a long road ahead of him to rehabilitate his name.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:55 pm
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:28 pm Woj reported Sean Miller probably gonna be an nba assistant next year. Good for him. I wish him luck
This would be a good move for Miller. Nobody at the college level would touch Miller with a 10 foot pole right now.

Do the NBA thing, let the NCAA mess blow over and then try for a HC position at a smaller school 2-3 years down the road. Sean has a long road ahead of him to rehabilitate his name.
I think that pole is a lot shorter than you think. It may not be a big school but someone will snatch him up fairly quick if he doesn't want to go to the NBA.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Basketcats wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:01 pm

I think that pole is a lot shorter than you think. It may not be a big school but someone will snatch him up fairly quick if he doesn't want to go to the NBA.
This, as far as I can tell any penalties incurred during his tenure here (unless clear violations of recruiting rules or moral issues) remain here WITH THE INSTITUTION...

NCAA is pretty clear that it enforces primarily at the institutional level and that is why Pitino can go fuck hs mistress at another school.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

You keep talking about this "pole", Kelvin Sampson and Bruce Pearl had much larger NCAA issues and they both seem to have landed on their feet.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Thad Matta was looking to coach again and linked to Indiana. Any chance he would be looked at? Not saying I like him but just trying to think of other previous successful coaches.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

jsbowl16 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:09 pm Thad Matta was looking to coach again and linked to Indiana. Any chance he would be looked at? Not saying I like him but just trying to think of other previous successful coaches.
He is very close with Miller and wouldn't want to screw him over in any way.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:21 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:53 pm The issue is that mediocre by Arizona standards is not actually mediocre, and we can now fall to actual mediocrity.
Compared to the bottom half of college basketball? I really don’t understand how some fans were content with the past few years. If it gets worse, so be it. Aside from a few bumps in the road during the Lute and early Miller years, most of the basketball was of high quality, that of a national power. That is not how the past few years looked, so who cares if that went on indefinitely?
Comparatively, just this year, Duke, Kentucky, Louisville and Indiana missed the tourney.

In my view, all four of those programs are close to Arizona's stature, and we were better than all four this year. It's very arrogant to me to assume 7-10 seeds is as bad as it can get for Arizona when equally (or more) prestigious programs fell well short of that, just counting this last year alone.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Why would Miller go to the NBA where the players will be unwilling to listen to him?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

[/quote]

This, as far as I can tell any penalties incurred during his tenure here (unless clear violations of recruiting rules or moral issues) remain here WITH THE INSTITUTION...

NCAA is pretty clear that it enforces primarily at the institutional level and that is why Pitino can go fuck hs mistress at another school.
[/quote]
As long as no show of cause against Miller is found. Sampson was given a show of cause and went to the NBA until he could return to college basketball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:24 pm Why would Miller go to the NBA where the players will be unwilling to listen to him?
Players like Miller. That's been demonstrated pretty repeatedly.

Heart surgeons and news reporters don't.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Think he'll just stay as a long time NBA assistant. A lot of coaches who get to the NBA never want to go back to recruiting and the grind.

Donovan, Stevens are very likely lifers now and will be able to get NBA jobs for a while.
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What do NBA assistants make?
BeardownZonaZona

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:35 pm What do NBA assistants make?
Read an article. It said matters on the team but anywhere from 100k to a mill.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Miller will go the NBA as an assistant because it's a job in basketball, pays well, and who knows, maybe it will help him become a better coach? If there's no show cause for Miller, he'll be back on campus very quickly. If there's a show cause, who knows.

And yes, last year wasn't Arizona good, but wasn't bad. Already no worse than a 7 seed when the season ended, with a chance to improve our NCAA seed with a PAC-12 Tournament run. This year, basically the same resume as UCLA when the season ended, and that after losing all starters and playing a bunch of freshmen. Next year, we had basically this same roster returning, a year older, and a year improved. Most pubs had us ranked between 15 and 22 in too-soon Top 25s. Now? Who knows who stays or if the roster completely implodes?

Heeke and Robbins treated Miller like crap. There is no two ways around it. Supported him when letting him go would have been understandable three years ago. And now, there's a light at the end of the tunnel and a roster that is good enough to go deep in March, and we let him go now? Sure, the IARP sword is hanging over our head, but if it drops like a hammer, again, we would have cause to let Miller go and rebuild. If it drops now, we'll still have to rebuild. But if it doesn't, and the IARP is only a wrist slap, and we lose a majority of the roster because Miller is gone, then next year will be the year that might have been. And we'll be rebuilding when we didn't have to.

Last, Miller had a .735 winning record, and won 300 games in the PAC faster than almost every other coach. He has proven he can win at the highest level, and was just a few inches from getting to a couple of Final Fours. But those are the breaks, and it takes some luck to get there. Those who think Miller has lost it are crazy. Think Pastner or Stoudemire have done better than Miller the last two years? No way in hell.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

delete
Last edited by HiCat on Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

There's a part of me that hopes a portion, if not more, of the core keeps transfer plans quiet, communicating on the sly, and then jet together at last minute, to send Big FU to the University. Only to help the cause of having the 2 shitheads ushered out.

Sure hope I somehow cross paths with them to give them a Big earful, regardless of setting. Would Love it to happen on the mall, game day for football with a Big audience.

Seems to me any coach considering coming here, besides the IARP cloud, would also be hesitant due to possible new AD and president soon.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This really says it all.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonscheer/ ... 44160?s=10

Robbins fired Miller now to prevent him from winning too much next year, which I fully believe he would have done.

How insane is that?  Our president fired a coach before he could win too many games and make himself unfireable.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

TheCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:30 pm

[/quote]
As long as no show of cause against Miller is found. Sampson was given a show of cause and went to the NBA until he could return to college basketball.
[/quote]

Heeks said he was fired WITHOUT CAUSE...so its already been established...Millers options are way better than Arizonas that is fo sure.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

The timing of all this is what bothers me the most. It makes no sense. The program just started to look like it was going to be back on track. Now, I fear, we may see even darker years upcoming.

I understand both sides of keeping/firing Miller argument. His actions, or lack of action, lead to the FBI knocking at the university's door. At the same time, I still feel the Schlabach article did more harm to the program than the FBI investigation. Hell, Arizona is still fighting the false narrative. Here is a tweet from today from an Arizona Alum.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I’ve loved az basketball for 35 years plus. I would never say I won’t support the ream.

Unless pastner gets the job. If that happens I’m out and fucking done.

I will become the biggest Asshole troll this board has ever seen.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Miller even agreed to be a lame duck coach... and they still fired him
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:35 pm What do NBA assistants make?
A goddamn difference. Sorry, couldn't resist. Hard day.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:57 pm I’ve loved az basketball for 35 years plus. I would never say I won’t support the ream.

Unless pastner gets the job. If that happens I’m out and fucking done.

I will become the biggest Asshole troll this board has ever seen.
Pastner is not getting the job. One, he is a mediocre coach; two, he has his own baggage.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

HiCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:45 pm Is there a list of possible coaches who might lead Arizona going forward?
Wednesday 4/7 Update: If you're of the belief that where there's smoke, there is fire, Lloyd is the most likely candidate on the list. We have heard there is a discussion of financial terms and those close to Lloyd believe he will be the guy.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:00 pm Miller even agreed to be a lame duck coach... and they still fired him
Un fucking believable.

Dumb and dumber are now douche and douchier for me.
What a bunch of pricks.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

If they hire Lloyd, I'll be adding men's basketball to football. 🥺
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I can’t do it now but in the next day or two I need to look at it as if Miller retired or took another job.

The only problem is that reality hits and we have 2 douchebags making this critical coaching hire.

Ugh.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

There aren't a lot of coaches that would agree to be a lame duck coach. Really shows how much character the man had.

Wherever he lands I'll be rooting for him all the way.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:00 pm Miller even agreed to be a lame duck coach... and they still fired him
Yeah, that was the link above I'm too dumb to know how to embed. I have no doubt Miller would have succeeded and made it much harder to fire him.

So funny that we fired a coach to prevent his winning.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:40 pm Miller signs a top transfer today, gets fired tomorrow?

Sounds about right
Forget how does a school do this to Miller.... HOW THE FUCK DO YOU DO THIS TO THIS KID?!!!!!
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:29 pm
Yeah, that was the link above I'm too dumb to know how to embed. I have no doubt Miller would have succeeded and made it much harder to fire him.

So funny that we fired a coach to prevent his winning.
It is believable, sadly. The administration is incompetent when it comes to running major athletics programs. They should have parted ways with Miller 2 years ago because it was inevitable that this was the direction, now they have a mess.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

I commend Heeke and Robbins on an excellent (yet long overdue) decision. Miller became a cancer to the program and that can't be tolerated. Glad he's gone. The next few years will be rough but it's a necessity for the program to heal and move forward minus all the drama. Restoring our reputation will be next to impossible nonetheless. I can't even describe how draining the last few years have been with all this nonsense. The fans deserve better.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Not a fan of parish but he’s not wrong at all
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Don’t take the troll bait from CO.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

So our admin tanked a possible run this year possibly putting us in a spot when it comes to allegations so Miller wouldn't have a run. Then when he offered to just coach this team that has contender potential they would rather blow it up by firing him. And waited to do it instead of getting it over with when they knew what was going to happen. All sorts of stupid.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The Goat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:50 pm So our admin tanked a possible run this year possibly putting us in a spot when it comes to allegations so Miller wouldn't have a run. Then when he offered to just coach this team that has contender potential they would rather blow it up by firing him. And waited to do it instead of getting it over with when they knew what was going to happen. All sorts of stupid.
Where the hell have you been?

Welcome back!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

All these people who don’t want miller can’t answer who their desire for a replacement is. Lmao
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Man I need more rep points so I can downvote captain orafice!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:03 pm All these people who don’t want miller can’t answer who their desire for a replacement is. Lmao
Of course not.

One of Miller’s most ardent haters on this board was asked point blank multiple times to provide a list of coaches they think would be an upgrade and would take the job.

They outright refused. Because they had no answer. Just that Miller hate. That’s all they still have.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Transfers coming boys. Strap up when Ben goes to UCLA to replace Hill.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:03 pm Man I need more rep points so I can downvote captain orafice!!
I got him for you.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:06 pm
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:03 pm Man I need more rep points so I can downvote captain orafice!!
I got him for you.
Thanks!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The brass balls of KU and self is something to admire. For real. Mad respect.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah makes sense. Couple years as an assistant or associate hc in the league and then get a A-10/Missouri Valley kinda job in a couple years.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.