Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:
azgreg wrote:Still working.
He looks like he would like to be anywhere but there.
Quoted for Enfuego's normal brand of prescient self-owning.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Quoted for Enfuego's normal brand of prescient self-owning.
Given the outcome of those two recruits, like the proverbial broken clock, Fuegs may have actually been accidentally right one of his two times a day.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It never ceases to amaze how little the press seems to get right about Miller. Not sure why there's this disconnect.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Beachcat97 wrote:It never ceases to amaze how little the press seems to get right about Miller. Not sure why there's this disconnect.
read the 'sorry, not sorry' thread again...sad but true
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:It never ceases to amaze how little the press seems to get right about Miller. Not sure why there's this disconnect.
read the 'sorry, not sorry' thread again...sad but true
Totally, 97, and everything you said there is crystal clear. Still, there's a strange dissonance. Good news for other top programs is celebrated on ESPN. Good news for AZ is buried among their secondary headlines. Bad news for other programs is downplayed, understated and sometimes rejected. Bad news for AZ triggers sirens, techno music and MDMA distribution in the ESPN newsroom.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Beachcat97 wrote: Totally, 97, and everything you said there is crystal clear. Still, there's a strange dissonance. Good news for other top programs is celebrated on ESPN. Good news for AZ is buried among their secondary headlines. Bad news for other programs is downplayed, understated and sometimes rejected. Bad news for AZ triggers sirens, techno music and MDMA distribution in the ESPN newsroom.
yep, and not just ESPN...

take a tums and go listen to the Gary Parish podcast today - confirms everything i said in that thread
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just amazed at what Miller has done under the circumstances since Book was arrested and ESPIN did it’s Saturday hit piece.

We had a team that posted a winning record last year when 4-24 was a possibility. He works endlessly and signs a top 3 class and adds 3 quality transfers. Then he backfills Phelps spot with a legacy home run hire.

I am so excited for this year and can’t wait. I love the us against the world mentality. The kiss my ass tour starts in November and it will be fun
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

97cats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote: Totally, 97, and everything you said there is crystal clear. Still, there's a strange dissonance. Good news for other top programs is celebrated on ESPN. Good news for AZ is buried among their secondary headlines. Bad news for other programs is downplayed, understated and sometimes rejected. Bad news for AZ triggers sirens, techno music and MDMA distribution in the ESPN newsroom.
yep, and not just ESPN...

take a tums and go listen to the Gary Parish podcast today - confirms everything i said in that thread
parish kills me, can't believe I listen to it regularly, it just makes me upset with him. plus he annoys the crap out of me.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

azgreg wrote:
*pretends to be shocked*
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah, I have a question. Why did Arizona Sports use that photo of Sean Miller for its story?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Longhorned wrote:Yeah, I have a question. Why did Arizona Sports use that photo of Sean Miller for its story?
"I caught a fish and it was this big..."

-OR-

as the Vital would interpret - "The bag of money I gave Ayton was about this big..."

Yeah - bad pic...
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

MountainCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Yeah, I have a question. Why did Arizona Sports use that photo of Sean Miller for its story?
"I caught a fish and it was this big..."

-OR-

as the Vital would interpret - "The bag of money I gave Ayton was about this big..."

Yeah - bad pic...
"Don't anybody go in there! Whew!"

MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

At least it's not a picture of him at the 2019 NBA Draft standing next to his two soon to be drafted players waiting for the third round to start...

... :lol:

Just goes to show you why that position is tied for the eighth best coaching gig in the Pac 12.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I'd be interested to know what the criteria was used for recruiting base. If it was the state of Az I would get the low number but we recruit nationally historically - from Seattle to NYC - so I would say we have one of the broadest recruiting bases in college basketball.

Guess that's not factored in. I mean the same could be said for Duke or Kansas - would you say those 2 programs have poor recruiting bases?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EastCoastCat wrote:I'd be interested to know what the criteria was used for recruiting base. If it was the state of Az I would get the low number but we recruit nationally historically - from Seattle to NYC - so I would say we have one of the broadest recruiting bases in college basketball.

Guess that's not factored in. I mean the same could be said for Duke or Kansas - would you say those 2 programs have poor recruiting bases?
Basically, yes, Kansas has a poor recruiting base, so they'd get dinged on that one, too. Like Arizona, though, Kansas is able to transcend its recruiting base.

Duke actually has a decent recruiting base, but it doesn't matter because they don't need it.

Since all this is based on coaches' opinions, there's no algorithm to wonder about. But it's clear that coaches see Arizona as a slight disadvantage in tapping into the Phoenix base, and Arizona and ASU as having equal access to southern California.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dukes recruiting base is NYC and Chicago. They routinely lose NC kids to UNC.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

CalStateTempe wrote:Dukes recruiting base is NYC and Chicago. They routinely lose NC kids to UNC.
Duke’s recruiting is truly National. When Alaska has a transcendent player, Duke gets him. Minnesota as well. Their last big stars are a kid from South Carolina, a Canadian kid going to school in a Florida, a kid from Arizona, a kid from Atlanta, a kid from Minneapolis, a kid from Jacksonville, a kid from St. Louis, a kid from Ohio...

Duke can come in late and get a kid anywhere. They’ve got the best “platform” by a mile. It is what it is.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

RaisingArizona wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Dukes recruiting base is NYC and Chicago. They routinely lose NC kids to UNC.
Duke’s recruiting is truly National. When Alaska has a transcendent player, Duke gets him. Minnesota as well. Their last big stars are a kid from South Carolina, a Canadian kid going to school in a Florida, a kid from Arizona, a kid from Atlanta, a kid from Minneapolis, a kid from Jacksonville, a kid from St. Louis, a kid from Ohio...

Duke can come in late and get a kid anywhere. They’ve got the best “platform” by a mile. It is what it is.
Having a entire network at your beck and call doesn't hurt.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The internet never forgets!

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Wasn't sure where to put this. I'd love to see us get Virginia on the schedule for a home and home or a home and neutral and home.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Wasn't sure where to put this. I'd love to see us get Virginia on the schedule for a home and home or a home and neutral and home.
Absolutely. I can think of a lot of schools I'd like to see on our OOC schedule. UVA would be terrific.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Beachcat97 wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Wasn't sure where to put this. I'd love to see us get Virginia on the schedule for a home and home or a home and neutral and home.
Absolutely. I can think of a lot of schools I'd like to see on our OOC schedule. UVA would be terrific.
Would certainly be a cure for insomnia.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Tucson is great because it's a college town but it also has civilization and isn't like Pullman or Starkville where there's nothing there.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The Tucson metro area has about 1 million people and U of A is the only game in town. Not many college towns can match the combination of size without other teams and sports creeping in. Tucson truly is fairly unique in size and singularity.

Side note, Miller has always been extremely complimentary of U of A fans, and that's one reason to like him, IMO.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:The Tucson metro area has about 1 million people and U of A is the only game in town. Not many college towns can match the combination of size without other teams and sports creeping in. Tucson truly is fairly unique in size and singularity.

Side note, Miller has always been extremely complimentary of U of A fans, and that's one reason to like him, IMO.
True. Most other large like top 40ish metro areas in the country that have division I college teams also have pro teams or multiple college teams in and around their area. Tucson is one of the largest areas that just has 1 college and no pro teams.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We’ve got his back. Ride or die.

Let’s go get em coach!
prh

Post by prh »

azgreg wrote:
Let's. Fucking. GOOOOOO it's basketball season boys

Also:

"I want to thank Robbins, he's been amazing, blah blah blah, high superlatives."
"Thanks Heeke and the rest of the department."
"Thank you to our amazing fans, blah blah, more superlatives."

Hahaha Heeke should just leave on his own accord
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Full PC

CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I'll be honest, this is not exactly the "temper your expectations" Sean Miller I am used to seeing at this time of the year...maybe that comes later...but he seems quite clear that they make take a few lumps in the beginning but he see's a ton of potential with this team...he seems pretty excited.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatFanOneMil wrote:I'll be honest, this is not exactly the "temper your expectations" Sean Miller I am used to seeing at this time of the year...maybe that comes later...but he seems quite clear that they make take a few lumps in the beginning but he see's a ton of potential with this team...he seems pretty excited.
I think Miller uses the temper your expectations with teams who need it and the more effusive tone with teams who need that.

You can see him do it with players too. He'll talk up guys who are struggling and need the boost and limit effusiveness on guys who are rolling to keep them focused.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:I'll be honest, this is not exactly the "temper your expectations" Sean Miller I am used to seeing at this time of the year...maybe that comes later...but he seems quite clear that they make take a few lumps in the beginning but he see's a ton of potential with this team...he seems pretty excited.
I think Miller uses the temper your expectations with teams who need it and the more effusive tone with teams who need that.

You can see him do it with players too. He'll talk up guys who are struggling and need the boost and limit effusiveness on guys who are rolling to keep them focused.
Agreed. I think you see some of that here as well where he pulls back a bit on the freshman phenoms (Nico and Josh) but lauds Smith and Doutrive and Kokomo and Zeke.
prh

Post by prh »

Not usually a fan of Zona Zealots but they did a pretty good job here
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

prh wrote:Not usually a fan of Zona Zealots but they did a pretty good job here
I've been blocked on twitter by this author because I offered to proof read and edit his articles for him (since clearly no one else was doing it).
prh

Post by prh »

YoDeFoe wrote:
prh wrote:Not usually a fan of Zona Zealots but they did a pretty good job here
I've been blocked on twitter by this author because I offered to proof read and edit his articles for him (since clearly no one else was doing it).
:lol: :lol: Their articles are usually either horribly written or awful content. Frequently both. If you don't read the actual writing, just watch the clips, this one is good.

Case in point: They have the he-touched-the-ball presser, but make no mention of the fact Sean knew he was gonna get a tech before the game. That's why he was so angry, and a huge part of the story.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think his anger and clear frustration with the way we played was the most adamant I have seen him in 3 years. He is on a take no prisoners tour and DD crossed him at the wrong time.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TheCat wrote:I think his anger and clear frustration with the way we played was the most adamant I have seen him in 3 years. He is on a take no prisoners tour and DD crossed him at the wrong time.
Or maybe it was the right time?

A bunch of young kids starting to feel a little invincible and believing their headlines go out and lay an egg because they didn’t take their opponent seriously, and one of them continues to mouth off and not listen?

As good a time as any to lower the ban-hammer and teach the rest of the kids what it means to be a team.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I like Miller ready to curb stomp anyone who crosses his path.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Why hasn’t anyone talked to my beloved coach about wearing a thick, absorbent undershirt?

How many shirts does my man have to sweat through before someone buys him some Thompson Tees?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

But he does wear Duluth trading underwear. No pinch, no sweat, no stink. If only they sold undershirts!
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Sean Miller: I never watch game replays with the audio on

Hurley: Hold my beer
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Couldn’t have addressed that with them privately? Just makes him look like the insecure crybaby he is.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I know everyone's gonna give Miller a pass cause we just shot flat out bad tonight (and he can't shoot for them after all, etc.) but...

Miller left hazzard off the floor after he had actually been one of the few people to make shots tonight....then inserted him with under 2 seconds for a possible last second 3....while leaving in a guy far too long who probably just had the worst game of his career(i admit to not knowing nico's hs stats). why exactly?

he went to the press which actually worked, but did it far too late to actually matter. with our depth we could have run that press the last 4 minutes of the game.

sigh

not that it matters.

this game isn't going to impact our performance in march.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

PieceOfMeat wrote:I know everyone's gonna give Miller a pass
Have you read the game thread? :lol:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Miller coaches tighter than a snare drum in important games and we are not the better for it.

A pretty mediocre in game coach.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

AZCatGirl wrote:
in game threads are a different beast
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gonzaga came out of halftime with a different offensive game plan that moved the ball all the way around the perimeter to set up corner threes or passes into the post.

Arizona came out after halftime with the exact same game plan that stalled in the first half when Mark Few made some defensive adjustments.

Looked like we got out-coached.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:
in game threads are a different beast
People have some pretty legit criticisms. I don't think many will be giving him a pass this time.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller