Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Is there new info or is your current inclination an accumulation of the conditions surrounding things this year?
all the circumstances that you know of are the heaviest, the scandal took a ton of wind from the sails.

I have been told coach Miller on several occasions has alluded to a fresh start being a good thing...all this weighs heavily on it all, including family.

where there is smoke there is usually fire, he won’t leave just to leave, but I get the feeling (as do others I chat with) that this is the last run.
Fair enough. As always, your insight is appreciated.

I'm not so sure a fresh start would be that. One of the things the FBI investigation and its current offshoot creates is a dark cloud that follows people from place to place and pervades the system.

I'm not sure how many fresh starts are free of the cloud that's weighed on the program this year. Unless you want a midmajor that can't play the AAU game, any school comparable to Arizona will have the same attendant issues. Rightly or wrongly, Book put baggage on Miller personally that I doubt Miller will get a fresh start from, ever.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

97cats wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Is there new info or is your current inclination an accumulation of the conditions surrounding things this year?
all the circumstances that you know of are the heaviest, the scandal took a ton of wind from the sails.

I have been told coach Miller on several occasions has alluded to a fresh start being a good thing...all this weighs heavily on it all, including family.

where there is smoke there is usually fire, he won’t leave just to leave, but I get the feeling (as do others I chat with) that this is the last run.

Good grief. Didn't want to see this..arggghh.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thank you 97 for speaking to what some of us have been hearing as well.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I here you spiff and largely agree, but there can be a lot of fresh starts in life and sometimes a change in scenery is what’s needed even if everything else stays they same.

I can speak from personal experience.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

So we're getting Pete Carroll'd, cool cool cool
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NYCat wrote:So we're getting Pete Carroll'd, cool cool cool
Hopefully with the chipper on the way out.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:I here you spiff and largely agree, but there can be a lot of fresh starts in life and sometimes a change in scenery is what’s needed even if everything else stays they same.

I can speak from personal experience.
Yeah, I mean, bottom line, I'm not Sean Miller.

Right or wrong, if he thinks a change is good, he has to make that decision. If it goes wrong, he pays the price, not me. Even if I am skeptical, I'm not perfect and I can't help him if staying is the wrong decision for him either.

I'm just not sure how a job he'd be into doesn't come with similar BS. Frankly, I'm not sure how coaches do it, staking their livelihood on 17 year olds and the current system with its ills. It seems really frustrating having to ride or die with kids and shady hangers on.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Has Machina broken into his happy dance yet?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Hire Miles Simon. Bring in Frye and RJ as assistants. Keep Romar.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Fresh start? Fresh start, Coach? Fresh start Mr. Miller?

I'd like to just say "I call BS.".

But I won't. I'll just voice my view this is not Miller. He's not "fresh start" Sean Miller.

Sean Miller made a startling, brave move to Arizona. Sean Miller and his wife started by donating $200 thousand from their pockets to our school. Sean Miller has taught supreme effort, guts ball----- never-ever-fucking-give-up-ball since he's been here. His attention to player character and schoolwork has been first rate. Unswerving. This is our experience and evidence since day one.

So "Give up, Fresh start Sean Miller"? I don't believe it. It's illogical. Isn't Sean Miller.

No facts. Something feels creepy.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

97cats wrote:Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved
Postby 97cats » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:11 pm

97cats wrote:alright, Dudes peace out till later -- my gut tells me Miller is gonna have a tough time surviving this.

if he does, he really is a Witch.
now is later and later is now, now -- we all might be looking down the barrel of the final hurrah, dudes.

only one thing left to do...
Win a National championship and say fuck y'all
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well this sucks. Ugh, there is no joy in mudville
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAEebs86 wrote:Has Machina broken into his happy dance yet?
Why on earth would I do that. Miller is the coach of my team and I support him and the team 100%. Hopefully nothing more happens beyond the Book thing. But if something does I will wait for the full investigation to occur and all the facts to come out before worrying about what should happen. For now, just go out there and play smart and hard.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Wonder if we could get Danny Hurley if Sean leaves. I hear pitino is lookin for work, he was good. :-)
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Makes total sense. Miller probably knows he's not going to snag another Ayton or top 5 class anytime soon with this FBI/NCAA cloud hanging over. If he can't get this team to an EE or FF with a #1 pick like Ayton and with seasoned Alkins/Trier I'd probably want to rethink my entire approach to the game of basketball too. Need a paradigm shift not a band aid
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RiseAndFire wrote:Makes total sense. Miller probably knows he's not going to snag another Ayton or top 5 class anytime soon with this FBI/NCAA cloud hanging over. If he can't get this team to an EE or FF with a #1 pick like Ayton and with seasoned Alkins/Trier I'd probably want to rethink my entire approach to the game of basketball too. Need a paradigm shift not a band aid
Doesn't have Trier now.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

People in the know, is it possible Miller resigns and Romar finishes out the season? Or are we looking at firing with cause (because Miller is dirty and we have to accept sanctions anyway)? It sounds like he is not surviving past this season, so these are the options, right? Hard to imagine ponying up for another buyout right after RR.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

He’s not dirty. He’s fucking frustrated. Take your frustration and anger and passion and commitment and multiply by a million.

And then square that shit and multiply again.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

He's definitely frustrated but he'd have to be fed up to walk away from the money. If this is it for him, hopefully he stays through the tourney and resigns right after so Reef and BW can decide where they want to be.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

TatetheGreat wrote:He's definitely frustrated but he'd have to be fed up to walk away from the money. If this is it for him, hopefully he stays through the tourney and resigns right after so Reef and BW can decide where they want to be.
TatetheGreat wrote:People in the know, is it possible Miller resigns and Romar finishes out the season? Or are we looking at firing with cause (because Miller is dirty and we have to accept sanctions anyway)? It sounds like he is not surviving past this season, so these are the options, right? Hard to imagine ponying up for another buyout right after RR.
Are you a total fucking moron? GTFO with that crap. From your posts, you want to see him gone, and that is totally fucked up. Are you Rise and Fire's new sock?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

BBQ wildcat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:He's definitely frustrated but he'd have to be fed up to walk away from the money. If this is it for him, hopefully he stays through the tourney and resigns right after so Reef and BW can decide where they want to be.
TatetheGreat wrote:People in the know, is it possible Miller resigns and Romar finishes out the season? Or are we looking at firing with cause (because Miller is dirty and we have to accept sanctions anyway)? It sounds like he is not surviving past this season, so these are the options, right? Hard to imagine ponying up for another buyout right after RR.
Are you a total fucking moron? GTFO with that crap. From your posts, you want to see him gone, and that is totally fucked up. Are you Rise and Fire's new sock?
I'll just wait for people with info to bump again. These kinds of reactions only make you look bad.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

TatetheGreat wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:
I'll just wait for people with info to bump again. These kinds of reactions only make you look bad.
YOU think someone else looks bad? Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Yeah, seems like Rise and Fire, Hank from the SB (or whatever), PHXCAT/Machina, and Teat the Great may all be the same person.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote:Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved
Postby 97cats » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:11 pm

97cats wrote:alright, Dudes peace out till later -- my gut tells me Miller is gonna have a tough time surviving this.

if he does, he really is a Witch.
now is later and later is now, now -- we all might be looking down the barrel of the final hurrah, dudes.

only one thing left to do...
'97-

You posted this right before the Trier news broke. (I'm gonna assume you knew about Trier before the rest of us)

Does your post have more to do with Miller's frustrations then the Bribery Scandal?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote: '97-

You posted this right before the Trier news broke. (I'm gonna assume you knew about Trier before the rest of us)

Does your post have more to do with Miller's frustrations then the Bribery Scandal?
that post was made to point out a cumulative effect the stress and pressure that's accrued quickly over the years that finally crowned with the scandal and the real family tension that subsequently trailed thereafter.

in no way was my post triggered by the Alonzo news but serendipitously it turned out to be another tire to add to the fire thats been burning in Tucson for a few years now.

i dont want it, "but sometimes a fresh start is a good thing for everybody" -- still makes me glum to type and then read those words, much worse than hearing them.
Last edited by 97cats on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:
Alieberman wrote: '97-

that post was made to point out a cumulative effect all the stress and pressure that's accrued over the years and some family tension that can be directly attributed to the entire picture.

in no way was my post triggered by the Alonzo news but serendipitously it turned out to be another tire to add to the fire thats been burning in Tucson for a few years now.

i dont want it, "but sometimes a fresh start is a good thing for everybody" -- still makes me glum to type and then read those words, much worse than hearing them.
97: do you think this season's outcome has any bearing whatsoever on what he does? Does a FF mean he stays?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Beachcat97 wrote:
97: do you think this season's outcome has any bearing whatsoever on what he does? Does a FF mean he stays?
i dont -- more will be what his options are, if there is nothing he wont bail...he will not leave "just to leave" thats from my most trusted source.

however, Coach Miller is beat down and feeling all the pressure thats formulated from this entire mess.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
i dont -- more will be what his options are, if there is nothing he wont bail...he will not leave "just to leave" thats from my most trusted source.

however, Coach Miller is beat down and feeling all the pressure thats formulated from this entire mess.
Pitt is gonna be open, most likely.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

He's never going to Pitt
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Pitt = zero chance
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I don't see what jobs are better or similar than Arizona that would make him leaving worth it. He's never sniffing UNC, Ohio St is closed, Maryland? UConn? Another major school that will get dragged into the NCAA mess? He's not an NBA guy either so he can't pull a Pete Caroll. Unless he wants go mid major again.
Last edited by NYCat on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
TJATUA

Post by TJATUA »

97cats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Have to imagine at this point, with other schools implicated in the FBI scandal, that he doesn't want to jump from one burning house to another.

It's important for Robbins and Heeke to be supporting him at every juncture (provided Miller isn't directly involved with the FBI scandal).
TJATUA

Post by TJATUA »

NYCat wrote:I don't see what jobs are better or similar than Arizona that would make him leaving worth it. He's never sniffing UNC, Ohio St is closed, Maryland? UConn? He's not an NBA guy either so he can't pull a Pete Caroll. Unless he wants go mid major again.
Wouldn't surprise me if he went NBA though to avoid the drama that comes from the NCAA, conference, and other things. He continues to coach basketball, which is his passion, and escapes the drama.

Hell, I wouldn't mind him taking the Suns job next season if Miller's intention is on leaving UofA.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

TJATUA wrote:
NYCat wrote:I don't see what jobs are better or similar than Arizona that would make him leaving worth it. He's never sniffing UNC, Ohio St is closed, Maryland? UConn? He's not an NBA guy either so he can't pull a Pete Caroll. Unless he wants go mid major again.
Wouldn't surprise me if he went NBA though to avoid the drama that comes from the NCAA, conference, and other things. He continues to coach basketball, which is his passion, and escapes the drama.

Hell, I wouldn't mind him taking the Suns job next season if Miller's intention is on leaving UofA.
Only Robert Sarver would be stupid and cheap enough to give Miller the head coaching job. No offense, and I love Sean here, but if any NBA GM gives him a head coaching gig they should be fired.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I can't imagine Miller going to the NBA, since he demands absolute commitment to his vision.

Like Larry Brown said, the biggest difference between college and the NBA is that in college the players still listen to you.

Iverson:

I mean how silly is that. And we're talking about practice. I know I'm supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example. I know that and I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important. I do, I honestly do. But we're talking about practice, man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

The more schools, and the more players who get mentioned in regard to the FBI probe, without UA's name coming up again, the less pressure there should be on CSM. I can certainly see how this thing could beat a coach down over the course of the year. Particularly if he knows he did nothing wrong, it would have to be terribly depressing to have all this crap thrown at you. I mean, how many of us, during our careers, have been ready to just say "fuck it, I'm leaving", when the pressure wasn't anywhere near this level.

I hope Miller is completely vindicated and that he stays at Arizona for the duration.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

As for Miller and the NBA, a GM who interviews him would get a sense pretty quickly that Miller wouldn't coach professionals like he coaches college kids who are learning the game and how to play team basketball. Miller has a W-L record that's elite in CBB, and that matters more than winning a one-and-out tourney. The question is whether serious conversations with a GM's staff would convince them that he's a great a basketball mind, and whether he comes recommended as such by his references in the league, which would probably include people like Kerr and Walton. That's required.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:Pitt = zero chance
How many times does this need to be said?

The UCONN opening will certainly be one to watch IMO. I have no idea what route they'd choose to go.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

I don't think there are too many options. Options are schools that aren't open, schools that are under fire after today's client list or midmajors.

CBB is so unstable right now. I understand why the unpleasantness of this year would make him want to escape it, but I don't think there are a ton of escapes.

The NBA...if part of the frustration this year was not reaching the players, he's gonna have more of that on the way in the NBA.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
The UCONN opening will certainly be one to watch IMO.
not zero chance
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Only UNC would make me worry I still don't know if he'd leave
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
The UCONN opening will certainly be one to watch IMO.
not zero chance
No more magical runs for you UConn
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I guess UCONN makes sense given whats been said. Respected basketball school but outside the power 5. Maybe that is less stressful.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Be interesting if he did go to UCONN. Don't we still have one more game of a Home and home with them?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Man all this news sucks. I guess it is what it is. UConn makes a ton of sense but it seems to me that the FBI thing will be around for years to come and will always be associated with Sean in some way.

I do have to wonder if he thinks that with the landscape of recruiting chnaging that it will be harder to recruit to the UofA as opposed to the recruiting base UConn has with all the kids in the local area?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:Be interesting if he did go to UCONN. Don't we still have one more game of a Home and home with them?
Next year @ UConn
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

NYCat wrote:
BE4RDOWN21 wrote:Be interesting if he did go to UCONN. Don't we still have one more game of a Home and home with them?
Next year @ UConn

That's what I thought.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Miller in the NBA? In the NBA you need the following to be successful:

Great reputation - CHECK!
Big name - CHECK!
PAC 12 COY and Awards Galore - CHECK!
Have an entertaining brand of basketball that is high scoring and fun to watch - Welll...
Be a real maestro of the fast break ala GSW - Ahhhh...
Take elite talent and then exceeds expectations with them- Hrmmm...
Relate to players in such a way that they love bball and have a good time playing loose and having fun - Errrrrr
Innovative and unafraid to think outside the box - Ayyyyyy
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

RiseAndFire wrote:Miller in the NBA? In the NBA you need the following to be successful:

Great reputation - CHECK!
Big name - CHECK!
PAC 12 COY and Awards Galore - CHECK!
Have an entertaining brand of basketball that is high scoring and fun to watch - Welll...
Be a real maestro of the fast break ala GSW - Ahhhh...
Take elite talent and then exceeds expectations with them- Hrmmm...
Relate to players in such a way that they love bball and have a good time playing loose and having fun - Errrrrr
Innovative and unafraid to think outside the box - Ayyyyyy
I am shocked you forgot "employ an expert zone defense"