Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by NYCat »

Machina wrote: I believe that most coaches would have the senior go.

I don't know Miller on a personal level but I doubt he is not classy most of the time. Especially from what you hear from former players and families of former players.
I know what you're trying to say, but you have to articulate your posts better. They seem like you're trying to say something different.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Doctor: Ray, do you want to stay and live with Charlie?

Raymond: Yeah.

Doctor: Or do you want to go back to Walbrook?

Raymond: Yeah.

Doctor: Which is it? Go back to Walbrook or stay with Charlie Babbitt?

Raymond: Go back to Walbrook, stay with Charlie Babbitt.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:
His handle isn't TheCommissioner? Sheez. Try to raise 'em right, and this is the thanks you get.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Machina wrote:I don't know Miller on a personal level but I doubt he is not classy most of the time.
That double negative mess of a sentence was a butterfly fart away from being a compliment and endorsement of our coach. Well done not crossing that line and maintaining your impartiality.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Machina wrote:
97cats wrote:
Machina wrote:
I was expecting McConnell to be at media day.

Good move by Miller to do a classy thing and have Ashley go.
fair assumption -- but the original post seemed to insinuate that Coach Miller was doing something out of the ordinary by acting classy?

was that not the intent of the post? it may or may not have been i'm just curious.
I believe that most coaches would have the senior go.

I don't know Miller on a personal level but I doubt he is not classy most of the time. Especially from what you hear from former players and families of former players.
so that's a no? that wasn't the intent of the original post? im having trouble following relevance.

and, I know you know nothing of Coach Miller on a personal level, that has nothing to do with whether or not you think he acts with class or not -- which you've still yet to give a current firm position on even after raising topic.

so what was the intent of the original post?? or do you not know or care to share to know???
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller's a great coach. We all know he's an excellent recruiter. I get the feeling that when he walks into a recruiting prospects home, his credibility is extremely high and this translates into trust.

Oh yeah, fwiw, I expect him to take Arizona to a FF this year. Homer you say... well maybe a little, but we shall see. (no jinx..just what I see, yeah, serious contender for a NC too) ;)
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Miller exudes class. Everything about him is classy, except perhaps when we get screwed by an official out of playing for a PAC championship...

But I condone even that behavior.

Troll on Machina, troll on...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Machina wrote:
97cats wrote:
Machina wrote:
I was expecting McConnell to be at media day.

Good move by Miller to do a classy thing and have Ashley go.
fair assumption -- but the original post seemed to insinuate that Coach Miller was doing something out of the ordinary by acting classy?

was that not the intent of the post? it may or may not have been i'm just curious.
I believe that most coaches would have the senior go.

Are you as reasonably sure of this as Jim Livengood was when he hired him?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I dare Machina to find one thing that Miller says or does that isn't classy at the PAC media day today. Find one.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Who let Machina on this site is what I want to know? Brings the whole damn place down a notch. His garbage posts always derail what is a good thread, like this one for example.
I vote him off. He's a bunch of white noise that sucks to read. It's like having to pick the weeds to get to the good stuff. Enough already.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

CBCat wrote:Who let Machina on this site is what I want to know? Brings the whole damn place down a notch. His garbage posts always derail what is a good thread, like this one for example.
I vote him off. He's a bunch of white noise that sucks to read. It's like having to pick the weeds to get to the good stuff. Enough already.
put him on ignore, then as long as nobody quotes him, you'll never read his posts again.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

gumby

Post by gumby »

KO with a sober assessment of Miller.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... els-102314

(So that's where Magruder landed. No, not Magruber, who doesn't know Jack about hoops).
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Nice article here. And a piece on FS1 next week:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basket ... too-111114

Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

PAGING '97.

It’s a work ethic that has him near the top of the college basketball world and only rising higher. Here’s what one of his former assistants told me: “When Coach K and John Calipari ride off into the sunset, Sean is next. If he wants to be the Lakers head coach, he can.”

#Flightracker

I believe the Miller's own a house in Manhattan Beach? That is close to Staples.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

We're doomed! Should've hired Floyd when we had our chance.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Great article!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

We have a very special coach. Can't get over how lucky we are to have him.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

AZCatGirl wrote: We have a very special coach. Can't get over how lucky we are to have him.

For reals.
I'm so happy.

Will never forget the disappointment when hearing he turned down the job. Next morning waking up at 430 am, working 12 hours, coming home, going on the rivals site and seeing he changed his mind and accepted. Just the greatest day ever.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Happy Birthday Coach!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lute was 46 when he reached his first Final Four.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

42-1
97cats

Post by 97cats »

last yr, this yr, next yr, and the yr after history would say timing is perfect for the first one when looking at the greats who won multiples -- i guess we will all have a better idea of how great Coach Miler can be by what he accomplishes in the NCAA's by age 50. and although not totally air tight (Williams Calhoun Smith say otherwise ) it is very interesting to me.
Merkin wrote:Lute was 46 when he reached his first Final Four.
interesting tidbit -- listed age of first title for multiple title(s) -- NCAA -- recipients

McCracken -- thirty two
Knight -- thirty six
Donovan -- forty one
Woolpert -- forty one
Iba -- forty two
Crum -- forty three
Krzyzewski -- forty four
Pitino -- forty four
Junker -- forty five
Rupp -- forty seven
Smith -- fifty one
Wooden -- fifty four
Williams -- fifty five
Calhoun -- fifty seven

singles of note

** Bud Foster (35) Howard Hobson (36) Don Haskins (36) John Thompson (44) Tom Izzo (45) Bill Self (45) Larry Brown (48) Al McGuire (49) John Calipari (54) Jim Boeheim (59) Jerry Tarkanian (60) Lute Olson (63) Phog Allen (67)
gumby

Post by gumby »

First five years comparison here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2245 ... lute-olson

BTW, Lute coached on the high school level for 12 years. Then a few years on the JC level. So a later start than Miller. He was 49 or 50 when he got to Tucson. He became head coach at Long Beach State when he was 39 or 40.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I know college basketball is completely different now, but it's interesting how similar their stats are. I wasn't expecting that.

Hopefully there will be a few more similarities before the season is over.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona Basketball: The Time Is Now

By Lewis Krell @krelllewis on Nov 18 2014,

With all the pieces in place, the 2015 Arizona Wildcats are primed and ready to get back to the Final Four.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/2014/11/18 ... ime-is-now

Arizona, Sean Miller aim for title
Jeff Lockridge, USA TODAY Sports 8:49 p.m. EST November 8, 2014

Sean Miller doesn't shy from the question.

What would winning a national championship at Arizona, a college basketball mecca in the midst of a surprising 13-year Final Four drought, mean for his coaching legacy?

"It would mean the world," says Miller, pausing to chuckle at his honesty.

"I'm not going to give you the answer where everyone says, 'He didn't really mean it.' When my family made the decision to leave Ohio and come to Arizona, there were a few reasons. But the No.1 reason was to give ourselves the best chance to win a national championship."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /18672823/
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

This won't be a popular view r but I'm going to call my shot for the UA bball program over the next 5 years. Here is the outlook:

- Miller and his staff continue to work their butts off on the R-trail, to fantastic result! The classes we reel in are ridiculous year after year! Yay us! :P
- This and next season feature a squad filled to the brim with NBA talent excelling on D!! Grrrr we play really tough D, nastiness is required grrrrrr! Good times
- However, offensive is shall we say, not a focus and never has been ( offense doesn't require nastiness, just practice :idea: ). As a result we see some of the most inane, boring, painful offense ever subjected upon elite talent. When your best play is the baseline inbounds lob....damn
- Predictably the team with Final Four in its sights but an O that can't score when the games on the line will stall out by the E8. Ditto next year
- Recruits will eventually stop beating a path to Tucson as a result of all these 5* loaded squads looking like dog poo on offense, with periodic flourishes. Who wants to play in a restrictive, unimiaginative scheme if you're not making FFs routinely - hell we can't even win the G-damn P12 tourney once with Staples/MGM 60%% full of UA fans!
- By 2017-18 season the program isn't reeling in the top 5 classes but has regressed back to the Xavier mean: making the tourney every year with 23 wins and upsetting a 4 seed occasionally
- rinse and repeat, angst with Miller grows and grows

Live the cats every day and I Watch every game from the RedBlue on, but I just don't see a defense first/only approach getting over the hump for a FF or Natty. We'll win a Rose Bowl first

Sorry for the dystopian future - but it's apparent this is the road were on. You just can't keep reeling in the top five classes without winning the giant stuffed panda bear once in a while
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Be interesting to see whose sock this is.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:Be interesting to see whose sock this is.
I thought it was NYCat's based on that odd thread title change right when this new guy posted there?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

It's Gus Johnson.

His screenname is "RiseAndFire". Duh! ...

RiseAndFire ... More like PissAndMoan ... StretchAndYawn ... CleanAndJerk ... FartAndScratchyourass ... PeteroutAndDribbledownyourleg ... SniffleAndWhimper ...
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
I thought it was NYCat's based on that odd thread title change right when this new guy posted there?
Seems too obvious.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

LH as satire?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:LH as satire?
I'm going to just go ahead and blame my favorite sock enthusiast . . . Percy.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

DallasCat from TOS?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:DallasCat from TOS?
"Dystopian" seems like a really big word for DallasCat to use.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

RiseAndFire wrote:This won't be a popular view r but I'm going to call my shot for the UA bball program over the next 5 years. Here is the outlook:

- Miller and his staff continue to work their butts off on the R-trail, to fantastic result! The classes we reel in are ridiculous year after year! Yay us! :P
- This and next season feature a squad filled to the brim with NBA talent excelling on D!! Grrrr we play really tough D, nastiness is required grrrrrr! Good times
- However, offensive is shall we say, not a focus and never has been ( offense doesn't require nastiness, just practice :idea: ). As a result we see some of the most inane, boring, painful offense ever subjected upon elite talent. When your best play is the baseline inbounds lob....damn
- Predictably the team with Final Four in its sights but an O that can't score when the games on the line will stall out by the E8. Ditto next year
- Recruits will eventually stop beating a path to Tucson as a result of all these 5* loaded squads looking like dog poo on offense, with periodic flourishes. Who wants to play in a restrictive, unimiaginative scheme if you're not making FFs routinely - hell we can't even win the G-damn P12 tourney once with Staples/MGM 60%% full of UA fans!
- By 2017-18 season the program isn't reeling in the top 5 classes but has regressed back to the Xavier mean: making the tourney every year with 23 wins and upsetting a 4 seed occasionally
- rinse and repeat, angst with Miller grows and grows

Live the cats every day and I Watch every game from the RedBlue on, but I just don't see a defense first/only approach getting over the hump for a FF or Natty. We'll win a Rose Bowl first

Sorry for the dystopian future - but it's apparent this is the road were on. You just can't keep reeling in the top five classes without winning the giant stuffed panda bear once in a while
Laughable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Great satire. I'm thinking it's from The Onion.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ha! Miller is a maniac on the sidelines. You could hear him clear as day on the broadcast at some points. His cursing is reaching epic levels.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

whoops lol
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I heard a couple "motherfuckers" come through on the broadcast. lol.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol:

Miller curses like a "mother fucker" :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My favorite was when he yelled halfway down the court at TJ, telling him to "shut the fuck up!"
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

LMAO! What point of the game was that? I DVR'd it.

Some of the audio was lost while watching last night, while wife decided to start sleep training with the "cry it out method"

Didn't take kindly to the remark that if crying it out doesn't work for the wife, what makes her think it will work with our daughter. :)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I feel like it was right after halftime. Or maybe right before.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Katzenfreund wrote:Ndiaye should have passed Miller the ball. He was open for the three.

At least Tarc listened and spread out his arms just like Miller is yellin at him to do :lol:

Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:My favorite was when he yelled halfway down the court at TJ, telling him to "shut the fuck up!"

Where's the animated GIF of him telling Parrom "The FUCK out of the game"! I was looking for that the other day.
I think it was someone's sig at TOS.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Yep, if you just closed your eyes and listened you would think that it was 2007-08 all over again.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:My favorite was when he yelled halfway down the court at TJ, telling him to "shut the fuck up!"

Where's the animated GIF of him telling Parrom "The FUCK out of the game"! I was looking for that the other day.
I think it was someone's sig at TOS.
I found it, but it's branded with TOS's logo.

Here's a gif, but not the one requested

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Catch the f ing ball is what I read from his lips
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion