Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Sean Miller

Post by ASUHATER! »

thenewazcats wrote:Nothing has changed my opinion that if/when Miller leaves AZ, it will be to the NBA before returning to a premier CBB program and ridiculous salary to end his career. I think we have until his kids get out of high school.

I have no basis for this claim other than intuition.

I hope he stays at AZ forever and wins 5+ titles.
that's only like 2 years though isn't it?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I just never understand the "desire to return to the midwest" argument.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
thenewazcats wrote:Nothing has changed my opinion that if/when Miller leaves AZ, it will be to the NBA before returning to a premier CBB program and ridiculous salary to end his career. I think we have until his kids get out of high school.

that's only like 2 years though isn't it?
I think the youngest of the three boys is still in middle school.
The oldest just graduated from HS.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:I just never understand the "desire to return to the midwest" argument.
Yeah, the Midwest sucks, but think of all the grass. Everywhere you turn, grass.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Olsondogg wrote:I just never understand the "desire to return to the midwest" argument.
"Then you are probably not from there".

- Urban Meyer
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Harvey Specter wrote:

- Urban Meyer
"Aaron Hernandez gave me a heart attack, but at least he didn't kill me."

"Coeds are less attractive at the OSU, so I have fewer off field issues."

--Urban Meyer
Merkin

Sean Miller Flashback!

Post by Merkin »

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

PJC needs to ante up!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

It is not a compelling one.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

TJ showing up his coach....
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Love it. Can't wait until PJC has some highlights of his own so we can have a three way battle.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:TJ showing up his coach....
Nah. Send it in Jerome might be the best dunk ever. Even if Miller had a small role, it's like being a character actor in the Godfather vs a star in the Book of Eli.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Miller has Arizona built for future
It would require something extraordinary to shift attention to Arizona’s 2015-16 season. Why? Because there’s so much to look forward to in 2014-15. The Wildcats enter the upcoming season a few months removed a campaign in which they won 33 games, spent eight weeks ranked No. 1 in the Associated Press poll, won the Pac-12 regular season championship, earned a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament and barely missed the Final Four. Defensive ace Aaron Gordon and conference player of the year Nick Johnson departed for the NBA, but the Wildcats are well-equipped to replace them.

Small forward Stanley Johnson, the No. 3-ranked player in the class of 2014, according to Rivals.com, headlines one of the nation’s best incoming freshman classes. The five-man group, which also includes top-50 power forward Craig Victor and heralded junior college shooting guard Kadeem Allen, will join a cast of returners poised to help the Wildcats aim for even loftier goals. Forwards Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Brandon Ashley and Kaleb Tarczewski are projected draft picks, junior Gabe York is an excellent perimeter shooter and senior T.J. McConnell is the smart, creative point guard overseeing the whole operation.

Arizona is ranked No. 3 in SI.com’s very early preseason top 25. With such a promising season on tap, why are some already talking about next October? On Sunday, multiple outlets reported that Allonzo Trier, the No. 12-ranked player in the class of 2015, has verbally committed to the Wildcats. Trier, who was featured on the cover of The New York Times magazine in 2009 (when he was 13), is considered one of the top scorers in his class. He averaged 31 points over five games (including one 42-point performance against Isaiah Briscoe, another heralded 2015 guard) at the Nike Peach Jam tournament in July.

Trier is the latest five-star talent in 2015 to commit to Sean Miller and the Wildcats. He joins Justin Simon, a versatile, 6-foot-5 combo guard renowned for his dogged defense, and Ray Smith, an athletic, 6-7 wing who excels attacking in transition. And Arizona isn’t done yet. The Wildcats are still in the mix for big men Chance Comanche, Ivan Rabb and center Stephen Zimmerman – the latter two are top-10 players in the class of 2015. With three five-stars already committed and one more a distinct possibility, Miller is well on his way to landing the nation’s top recruiting class.

“They’ve got three high-caliber commitments right now and three guys that are right at the top of each of their depth charts at the position,” said Evan Daniels, a national recruiting analyst for Scout.com. Daniels highlighted Trier as the player who may be able to make the biggest impact right away. “I think Trier’s probably the one that will be the most college ready,” Daniels said. He added: “He’s going to be able to score the ball out of the gate”

Of course, recruiting top prospects is nothing new for Arizona. The Wildcats have landed 11 top-25 prospects in their last five classes, bested only by Kentucky’s 16 over their last four. What makes Arizona’s 2015 haul so important is that it will allow the Wildcats to re-load after potentially losing their entire starting lineup. Tarczewski, Ashley, Hollis-Jefferson and Johnson could all enter the draft next June, and McConnell will graduate. Trier, Smith, Simon and whoever else decides to join Arizona’s 2015 class should have the opportunity to earn significant playing time right away.

“Sean Miller – what he’s doing and accomplishing on the recruiting trail is beyond impressive,” Daniels said. “And it’s not just a one-year thing. It’s turning into an every-year thing. But this class he has going on right now has the potential to be great.”

The class plus coveted Boston College transfer Ryan Anderson (who will sit out this season) and the players who stick around after 2014-15 should again make Arizona one of the nation’s top teams heading into next season. Can’t be bothered to gaze a year into the future? The Wildcats won’t be a boring outfit in the meantime. Johnson, Hollis-Jefferson and the rest of the 2014-15 crew can realistically set their sights on a conference championship and another deep tournament run.
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... onzo-trier
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Nah. Send it in Jerome might be the best dunk ever. Even if Miller had a small role, it's like being a character actor in the Godfather vs a star in the Book of Eli.
Don't agree that AG's dunk and the dime from almost half court is "The Book of Eli" in comparison.
Jerome's dunk is only notable because he brought down the glass and because of the call. Basketball rims and backboards were changed to negate that as a factor.
As a play, Jerome's play isn't anything that special. TJ's play is much more spectacular on both ends.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Daryl Zero wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Don't agree that AG's dunk and the dime from almost half court is "The Book of Eli" in comparison.
Jerome's dunk is only notable because he brought down the glass and because of the call. Basketball rims and backboards were changed to negate that as a factor.
As a play, Jerome's play isn't anything that special. TJ's play is much more spectacular on both ends.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Even prior to the breakaway rim, breaking the glass was rare. Everyone loves a good teabag dunk too. Combine the two together, and you have a legendary dunk for good reason.

As nice as the Aaron lob was, it wasn't the best lob Aaron caught last year (Colorado and SDSU beat it out IMO) and Nick's one hander against Colorado was the best lob of the year. It's a great play, but it's just another highlight in the reel for last year.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree. Even prior to the breakaway rim, breaking the glass was rare. Everyone loves a good teabag dunk too. Combine the two together, and you have a legendary dunk for good reason.

As nice as the Aaron lob was, it wasn't the best lob Aaron caught last year (Colorado and SDSU beat it out IMO) and Nick's one hander against Colorado was the best lob of the year. It's a great play, but it's just another highlight in the reel for last year.
As per Miller and TJ's little contest, its not really about the dunk, its about the assist. Regardless whether you think AG's dunk was something, it is a great assist.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Q&A: Sean Miller has deep roster, just needs to 'sort out' chemistry
By Jon Rothstein | CBS Sports
September 26, 2014 10:49 pm ET

Sean Miller has led Arizona back to national prominence. The 45-year old head coach has won an average of 25.8 games during his five years in Tucson including a pair of Pac-12 regular-season titles in 2011 and 2014. CBS Sports Network and CBSSports.com's Jon Rothstein sat down with Miller to discuss last year's gut-wrenching loss in the Elite Eight against Wisconsin, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, and who on the Wildcats' roster could emerge from the shadows during the 2014-15 season.

Jon Rothstein, CBSSports.com: As painful as it is, have you watched the tape from last March's overtime loss to Wisconsin in the Elite Eight?

Sean Miller: I have. I usually don't do it but I watched it. One of the things that happens when the emotion leaves you is watching the game over helps. It helps you look at things from a different angle. It was an epic battle between two great defensive teams and like usual it comes down to who makes the plays at the big moments. They did and all credit goes to them. You sometimes look at things differently when you watch the tape. You say to yourself "should we have run more"? But then as you know Wisconsin isn't the easiest team to run on. You can second guess things forever once the game is over.

CBSSports.com: You told me last year that you thought about going to the Final Four every 10 to 15 minutes. Is it more frequent now after that loss and especially because you've been a basket away from going to two Final Fours in the past four years (Arizona lost to UConn by two in the 2011 Elite Eight)?

Miller: No question. I could certainly take a cynical look at that. For me, I've been in that game three times --- once at Xavier and twice at Arizona --- and we've never advanced. We've gotten to a regional final three times and never advanced. You take pride though in competing in that game, getting to the Elite Eight and the thing that's good about it is you and your staff know the amount of work and preparation that goes into getting that far. You know that if you get there time and time again that eventually we're going to break the door down. We had a magical season last year but it just didn't end the way we hoped. Losing to Wisconsin probably hurts a little more than the other two games because we were a one seed. It was the first time we played in a regional final when we were a one seed. But now we just have to do what we do, honor the process, and focus on all the little things that get you back to that point.

CBSSports.com: You win 33 games last year and it looked from the outside that your team had the best chemistry of any you've team had since you've been at Arizona. When you look ahead to this year's team, what will be the main attribute that will make this squad be successful?

Miller: We start all over again. When you lose Nick Johnson and Aaron Gordon and you talk about having great chemistry, they were a huge reason why. It's not just who they were on the court or their production, it's who they were in the locker room. They wanted to win. They played for Arizona every day and nobody else. They had individual goals that they wanted to accomplish but the most important thing for them was making sure that our team was going to be in the best possible position to have success. Looking ahead to this year, it's not like we're picking up where we left off. When you look at our returning players, they're in different roles and those roles have yet to be sorted out. Nick was our unquestioned leader last year but it remains to be seen who steps into that role during the upcoming season. Team chemistry isn't necessarily a concern or an issue, but it's something we want to sort out. We're definitely a work in progress in regards to that area.

CBSSports.com: All summer long, you've said that Rondae Hollis-Jefferson was due for a major jump. What specifically in his game is going to be different than it was last season?

Miller: He's a better shooter and physically he's a year older. He's worked very hard on his body and it's even better than it was last year as a freshman. His ability to shoot the ball from the foul line and in open shot situations is much different than it was a year ago. He's just so much more sure of himself. All of these players that leave school early, there's something to be said about what they miss out on. There's something to be said about Rondae being in practice 110 times and he's going to go through that same thing again this season. He's a very intelligent kid and he's worked extremely hard. He came back to Arizona a better player and he's going to show everyone that this season.

CBSSports.com: Anyone that's seen Stanley Johnson play knows that he's immediately going to be one of the better players in the Pac-12. How does he compare to other elite freshmen you've had since you've been at Arizona?

Miller: Stanley is ahead of the game physically. He comes to us with a strong physical body and by no means is he one dimensional. He's agile from an endurance perspective. He can play for long stretches and he can do that at 240 pounds. He's been a man as soon as he stepped foot on campus and that's so unique as a freshman. He's a winner. He's won at every level --- USA basketball, Mater Dei, on the AAU circuit he was a part of a team that won the Peach Jam. He's going to be a big part of what we do. He's a gym rat. His shot has gotten better since the Spring. He's going to be really good for us.

CBSSports.com: Nick Johnson was at the core of everything you did last year on both ends of the floor and really established himself as your go-to player. When Arizona is tied this year and has the ball with 10 seconds left, who do you think you're going to feature?

Miller: I think the good thing is we have a number of guys that can be featured. T.J. McConnell is the first guy that I've had at Arizona that's returned as a starter at point guard. I think it's almost remarkable that we've had the success we've had here and we've had so much change at the most important position on the floor. I think we'll be really good at end of halves or in end of game situations because we have T.J. It could be him, it could be Kaleb [Tarczewski], Brandon Ashley, or Stanley [Johnson] that takes over when we need a basket or need someone to make a big play. A lot like our leadership, we haven't sorted that out yet.

CBSSports.com: On paper, this team looks like it could be one of the deepest you've had since you've been a head coach. Who is the one player that isn't in bold print right now that could be a more known name by the time conference play kicks off in January?

Miller: Gabe York. Gabe has waited patiently since his freshman year. He's gotten bigger and stronger. He's motivated by things that used to motivate college players. He played a little his freshman year and got hungrier to have a bigger role. He had a good year for us last year and he'll have a bigger role this year. He can really shoot and that's critical to our team. We need him to make shots and he will because that's what he's known for but he's more versatile and he's a better player than he was last year. I mentioned that Rondae had 110 practices under his belt and Gabe has 220 practices under his belt. I have no doubts that he's going to be a significant contributor to our team and make a major impact.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... -chemistry
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Thanks, Hi----you're always on top of the good stuff and so generous in passing it on.

Coach's last comment about Gabe York. So interesting. Coach has been on the money in predicting Gabe's growth; and now, with the comp at SG he's still riding that train. Anyone who's been on the pick-up game trail have observations about Gabe the Jr?
TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

Harvey Specter wrote:

- Urban Meyer
I'm from the Midwest, lived in AZ for 11 years. Been back in IL since 1998. I F-ing hate it here....
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

No offence but your intuition is kind of dumb.
Sonora919

Post by Sonora919 »

Miller's approach won't work in the NBA. He is an NCAA lifer. I see Kentucky, UNC and Duke as the only threats, and I still give Arizona the edge due to the simple fact that he has established himself so deeply in Tucson. If he makes it to 2020 as our coach, I think he's in it for the long haul. The chance of him leaving depends on a vacancy at one of those three in the near future. If he does end up leaving, I hope its with a title under his belt, as that will mean we remain among the truly elite programs in the nation (not that we're out of that conversation as things stand now).
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well considering Williams and K are well into their 60s, it's guaranteed both jobs open by 2020.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Moms 4 miller
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

I still don't see Duke as being an attractive opening right after Coach K leaves. No one will ever live up to his legacy; why would a top-tier, established coach make what is essentially a lateral move and leave for that job? It is more likely that Duke promotes from within; Coach K may very well pick his successor.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

$7,233,976 annually is a good reason why Duke is an attractive job.

Although I do agree they will keep it in house.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:$7,233,976 annually is a good reason why Duke is an attractive job.
The next Duke coach is not going to make nearly that much. Probably more in the $3-4 range.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

If Miller creates his own legacy at Arizona, continues to have a top-ten/top-five program, continues to get the recruits he wants, continues to receive major university and booster support, wins, makes some final fours, etc.; it is highly unlikely he will leave for another program. For years, there was speculation of major coaches assumed to be successors at Arizona when Lute left; and clearly the breakdown of the program at the end likely caused some candidates to turn away, but even so, it became apparent that big-name coaches at other major, established programs were ultimately not looking to make lateral moves to another major program and follow a hall of famer. Calipari was interested because Arizona is clearly a step up from Memphis even though he was winning at Memphis and recruiting well. Self left Illinois for Kansas because Kansas is clearly a step up -- few jobs are more elite in college basketball. Arizona and Duke are both top ten jobs; seriously, who wants to follow Coach K and try to live up to those expectations when they already have a great, elite coaching job? Most of the coaches at the premier college jobs already make millions; it won't be about the money. Duke may ultimately take a hit unless there is a quality coach who is a Duke basketball alum that wants to keep the program afloat knowing full well he will never live up to standards of Coach K's legacy.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Nothing to worry about until both a bigger name school's job opens up (Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Carolina, etc.) and Miller wins a title. Hopefully the title comes soon.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jwsisliving wrote:

No offence but your intuition is kind of dumb.
Gosh, who could take offense at "dumb" sans explanation?

I've heard the NBA move is more likely than another college job.
Right where I want to be.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This has to be one of the best Miller quotes ever. Don't think many basketball coaches would feel the same way.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AZCatGirl wrote: This has to be one of the best Miller quotes ever. Don't think many basketball coaches would feel the same way.
I've heard from people that the respect and genuine affection between the programs is real. Miller is a football fan and RichRod is a basketball fan. And they are fans of each other. Which is simply amazing for our program. Everyone pulling the rope in the same direction...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Chicat wrote:I've heard from people that the respect and genuine affection between the programs is real. Miller is a football fan and RichRod is a basketball fan. And they are fans of each other. Which is simply amazing for our program. Everyone pulling the rope in the same direction...
Wow, just goes to show how special Arizona is, and how lucky all of us are to be fans.

Hope Byrne stays around for a long, long time. Not worried about losing either one of them as long as he's here.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

How about GB. His last two football hires have turned around downtrodden programs and are undefeated so far
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azcat49 wrote:How about GB. His last two football hires have turned around downtrodden programs and are undefeated so far
I see what you did here! HAHA!
Salty

Post by Salty »

AZCatGirl wrote: This has to be one of the best Miller quotes ever. Don't think many basketball coaches would feel the same way.
Coach Miller. Yes.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Machina

Post by Machina »

It was nice to see Miller do something classy and have Ashley as the player representative at media day
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

But could you confirm if he was mad or if he wasn't. Or did you not confirm it with him even if he did appear upset? Did you or did you not confirm your confirming confirmation?
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Machina wrote:If it is true, I will be extremely worried about the team and Miller.

I am not trying to be a turd, but this program has not shown up ready to play and with the edge necessary way too many times to be a true blue blood program.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

Machina wrote:It was nice to see Miller do something classy and have Ashley as the player representative at media day
is this not the norm? are you surprised? shocked?

did you expect something classless???
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Machina wrote:It was nice to see Miller do something classy and have Ashley as the player representative at media day
yeah good thing...that miller really is a trashy type of coach. sure sucks to have him representing our university and just NOW start to act in a classy matter.

shut up.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Machina

Post by Machina »

97cats wrote:
is this not the norm? are you surprised? shocked?

did you expect something classless???
I was expecting McConnell to be at media day.

Good move by Miller to do a classy thing and have Ashley go.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Machina wrote:

fair assumption -- but the original post seemed to insinuate that Coach Miller was doing something out of the ordinary by acting classy?

was that not the intent of the post? it may or may not have been i'm just curious.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

waiting for machina's next babe in the woods response
gumby

Post by gumby »

Ten minutes to Wapner ...
Right where I want to be.
Machina

Post by Machina »

97cats wrote:
Machina wrote:

fair assumption -- but the original post seemed to insinuate that Coach Miller was doing something out of the ordinary by acting classy?

was that not the intent of the post? it may or may not have been i'm just curious.
I believe that most coaches would have the senior go.

I don't know Miller on a personal level but I doubt he is not classy most of the time. Especially from what you hear from former players and families of former players.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

:lol: ..
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

thanks for clearing that up machina, we were all really worried.