Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Sean Miller

Post by CalStateTempe »

Not playing your contrarian game tonight machina.

Time and place.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

pc in NM wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Why would the top 20 teams be out? Why would Arizona be out? The NCAA isn't supposed to act until the FBI investigation is over. These are leaks.
I think it's about "institutional control" at this stage. With such an explosive allegation as this, being documented by wiretaps, I believe that the university must ta k e action commensurate with the seriousness of the allegation.

I believe that should probably involve suspension of Miller (probably with pay) pending a thorough investigation. To even discuss the possibility of a bribe is an odfense, and unacceptable (unless immediately reported to compliance staff.

As for players, the information is far more vague - there u s no alleged information, in these reports, that payments were in fact made. Unless and until such information is surfaced, maybe they do not need to be suspended.

If any players are revealed to have accepted money, then they were ineligible to have played, and forfeits would be a likely consequence. If the university determines that self-sanction should include forfeits, then suspending post-season play would be a potential self-sanction....

This is how Arizona, or another team might "be out"....
You have an ESPN report that has ZERO attribution. ZERO!!!! Schlabach cites a "source." What source? If you can't qualify the source, then what good is it? And I'd say right now the FBI has a pretty shitty track record when it comes to integrity. I don't want to get too political, but an entire government agency (or at least the people at the top) just engineered a blind eye to Hillary Clinton and is hellbent on taking down a sitting President. But that's for another board. The point is you can't float a story like this without better attribution. And what is the U of A supposed to do? Fire a coach over an ESPN report that cites an unnamed source that Sean Miller discussed paying a player? Please? Even if the ESPN report is accurate, it's terrible journalism. And Arizona would be stupid to fire a coach based on the information available at this time. If the information changes, then ok.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Hey guys, what I miss?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:Hey guys, what I miss?
Trier hasn’t been cleared just yet
Last edited by 97cats on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

We're 2 point underdogs at Oregon tomorrow. Other than that... :lol:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Then why would the fbi leak evidence to the media ruining millers reputation and career?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Just go the unc route...play your players, let coach coach, let the haters hate and shake it off shake it off yea yea yea!

I think that’s how Taylor sings it.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

CalStateTempe wrote:Then why would the fbi leak evidence to the media ruining millers reputation and career?
Lot of cooks in the kitchen. And not everyone has the same recipe.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
Trier hasn’t been cleared just yet
Well shit, good thing that's our only concern at this point. I'm sure the NCAA does the right thing here though. Bear Down!
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Peace out guys I’m spent over this.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

zonagrad wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Why would the top 20 teams be out? Why would Arizona be out? The NCAA isn't supposed to act until the FBI investigation is over. These are leaks.
I think it's about "institutional control" at this stage. With such an explosive allegation as this, being documented by wiretaps, I believe that the university must ta k e action commensurate with the seriousness of the allegation.

I believe that should probably involve suspension of Miller (probably with pay) pending a thorough investigation. To even discuss the possibility of a bribe is an odfense, and unacceptable (unless immediately reported to compliance staff.

As for players, the information is far more vague - there u s no alleged information, in these reports, that payments were in fact made. Unless and until such information is surfaced, maybe they do not need to be suspended.

If any players are revealed to have accepted money, then they were ineligible to have played, and forfeits would be a likely consequence. If the university determines that self-sanction should include forfeits, then suspending post-season play would be a potential self-sanction....

You have an ESPN report that has ZERO attribution. ZERO!!!! Schlabach cites a "source." What source? If you can't qualify the source, then what good is it? And I'd say right now the FBI has a pretty shitty track record when it comes to integrity. I don't want to get too political, but an entire government agency (or at least the people at the top) just engineered a blind eye to Hillary Clinton and is hellbent on taking down a sitting President. But that's for another board. The point is you can't float a story like this without better attribution. And what is the U of A supposed to do? Fire a coach over an ESPN report that cites an unnamed source that Sean Miller discussed paying a player? Please? Even if the ESPN report is accurate, it's terrible journalism. And Arizona would be stupid to fire a coach based on the information available at this time. If the information changes, then ok.
Use of unnamed sources is actually a rigorous process in journalism. The story is cleared by managing editors who see all the sources. If you can't use unnamed sources in a story, then you aren't going to get many sources.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

RichardCranium wrote:Just a thought I'd like to inject...

I have an acquaintance who used to be closely connected to several west coast Athletic Departments. Not specifically UA however, but he ran in the same circles. He has been spot on about several things he couldn't possibly have been spot on about unless he knew what was what (but he has made a few misses too). Anyway he was mostly dealing with football and is retired now, but he is getting hints from his old contacts that the phone call 'wiretap' that 'caught' Miller saying talk to me about the money, was made with FBI agents in the room with Miller, and that Miller is on the front foot about the whole damn thing.

Now I don't know how much of a grain of salt to take with that. 'My Guy' has been right a heckuva lot more than he has been wrong and usually doesn't say anything unless he is pretty much sure of what he is talking about. Having said that, I am just not sure that he is really close enough to his old contacts or who they are or what their motives are. They might just be playing him, I don't know.

If Miller leaves the UA, might it be for the Witness Protection Program?
I dont know if I believe it but it would make sense if the FBI was trying to nail the agents or guys at the shoe companies.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

zonagrad wrote:
pc in NM wrote:

Nowhere have I recommended "firing a coach"...

... and, the last place I'd want to be in responding to this is aligned with the Trump fake news machine's tactics or attacking the integrity or motives of the FBI....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

Everyone just calm down and trust the ncaa to get this all sorted out and settled fairly....
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

Longhorned wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
pc in NM wrote:

Use of unnamed sources is actually a rigorous process in journalism. The story is cleared by managing editors who see all the sources. If you can't use unnamed sources in a story, then you aren't going to get many sources.
This is fake news
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Who wants to talk over a beer in Vegas in 2 weeks?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Olsondogg wrote:Who wants to talk over a beer in Vegas in 2 weeks?
Larry Scott probably will.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

zonagrad wrote:
pc in NM wrote:

Thanks for sharing additional insight into your views. It provides some very helpful context to your perspective.

As for the ESPN "source", I have no idea if it is a legitimate one. But suggesting that the press divulge a confidential source is inane, and that fact that they will not is hardly cause to question its credibility.

Then again I am not supportive of muzzling the press and forcing them to regurgitate a government-dictated narrative.

Your post above could read like a Nixon administration narrative commenting on Deepthroat.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Didn't 97 intimate back in October that CSM was in the know about the investigation?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

pc in NM wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
pc in NM wrote:

Nowhere have I recommended "firing a coach"...

... and, the last place I'd want to be in responding to this is aligned with the Trump fake news machine's tactics or attacking the integrity or motives of the FBI....
I can name two FBI agents whose texting contradicts your point about integrity. And I'm not attacking the entire FBI, but rather acknowledging that there are people within bureaucracies that do not have any integrity at all.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Postmaster wrote:Didn't 97 intimate back in October that CSM was in the know about the investigation?
Yep. Which is why it's best not to rush to judge. Until Miller goes on record or something official comes out from the FBI that isn't a leak, then I'm withholding judgement.

Either way, I could care less if Ayton was paid to come to Arizona. For all we know, maybe Miller got him at a great price and $100k was below market. Maybe Duke paid $200K for Bagley. Then Miller really is a Witch!
mofo

Post by mofo »

Do we know if any other agents or shoe companies were involved other than Andy Miller/Dawkins & Nike? Isn’t it possible the FBI’s sting didn’t extend any further than that since it didn’t originate as a CBB investigation to begin with and CSM/Pitino take the full brunt if other coaches did most of their dealings with other entities?

I guess we’ll find out, but rest assured if the FBI has info that’s not made public, the NCAA sure as hell won’t present it and will limit the damage to those scapegoats that are made public by the FBI or leaks.

In other words, I fully expect Duke (and other Blue Bloods) to come out of this clean, or as clean as the public info will let them.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Olsondogg wrote:Who wants to talk over a beer in Vegas in 2 weeks?
My first trip to vegas for the pac-12 - just might be looking for something to do instead of going to basketball games.... :lol:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Miller facilitated payment to Lauri, Rawle, and Ayton in cooperation with the FBI? Seems far-fetched, but we'll find out soon enough. Ayton has played in every game so the season will be vacated if he did accept money.

CST, are you still flying to Eugene? I'm guessing Miller coaches and Rawle and Ayton play (Trier sits). Our AD will put out a statement along the lines of "we are complying with the investigation and will reserve further comment or action until this process is completed."
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I have an acquaintance who used to be closely connected to several west coast Athletic Departments. Not specifically UA however, but he ran in the same circles. He has been spot on about several things he couldn't possibly have been spot on about unless he knew what was what (but he has made a few misses too). Anyway he was mostly dealing with football and is retired now, but he is getting hints from his old contacts that the phone call 'wiretap' that 'caught' Miller saying talk to me about the money, was made with FBI agents in the room with Miller, and that Miller is on the front foot about the whole damn thing.

Now I don't know how much of a grain of salt to take with that. 'My Guy' has been right a heckuva lot more than he has been wrong and usually doesn't say anything unless he is pretty much sure of what he is talking about. Having said that, I am just not sure that he is really close enough to his old contacts or who they are or what their motives are. They might just be playing him, I don't know.

I will grasp at that straw. I’m a desperate man who doesn’t want one of the few things I enjoy in this life to go away.

Would explain why the figure ($100k) was relatively low. Directive was just to get Dawkins on tape talking dollar figures meanwhile we had already secured Ayton in a non-obviously stupid way?

I’m going to drift off to sleep envisioning this scenario...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

If you will vacate all games so far you might as well keep playing everyone.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Yup
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TatetheGreat wrote:Miller facilitated payment to Lauri, Rawle, and Ayton in cooperation with the FBI? Seems far-fetched, but we'll find out soon enough. Ayton has played in every game so the season will be vacated if he did accept money.
There’s no accusation that Miller got Lauri or Rawle paid. They’re mentioned as being steered to agents.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Why don’t I care about any of this shit? Play basketbsll. #AllIn
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

It's really incredible what has transpired with our basketball program the last few years. The Ed Rush, Pac 12 officiating scandal was child's play compared to this. I mean, you could write a Hollywood script about the last few years. Parrom getting shot. He touched the ball. Ray Smith two ACL injuries (actually 3). Trier's PED suspension. And now Book Richardson and the FBI. I mean, this is unreal when you look at the totality of what Sean Miller has endured.

I suppose the same goes for Louisville. Pitino and the FBI & Syphers. The stripper/hooker dorm parties. Kevin Ware with a compound fracture during a game. Pretty crazy stuff.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Banging chicks on the table of a restaurant
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Olsondogg wrote:Why don’t I care about any of this shit? Play basketbsll. #AllIn
Exactly. That's what I don't get. Who cares if somebody got money for playing basketball? I mean, I understand the NCAA's need to enforce rules to keep the Golden Goose/ATM machine going for themselves. But I don't see why people are upset when a kid & his family are willing to take payment in exchange for their kids' services as an elite talent that will make millions for a university and the coach and athletic department.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Postmaster wrote:Banging chicks on the table of a restaurant
Syphers was her name I believe. It's 2am on the East Coast. I suppose I could've written the same. :lol:

Who needs reality TV. Arizona basketball has had some crazy shit for the last 30 years. Kerr's father assassinated. Byrdsong murdered. Brian Williams/Bison Dele murdered. Michael Wright murdered. Bobbi's cancer. Damon Stoudamire's suspension. Ben Davis. Lute's strokes. Kevin O'Neal's bar incident at the Pac 12 tourney in LA. AJ Bramlett's fight with Eddie House in Oregon. The games are secondary when you think about all the shit that's happened. And that's the stuff that's public knowledge.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Chicat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Miller facilitated payment to Lauri, Rawle, and Ayton in cooperation with the FBI? Seems far-fetched, but we'll find out soon enough. Ayton has played in every game so the season will be vacated if he did accept money.
There’s no accusation that Miller got Lauri or Rawle paid. They’re mentioned as being steered to agents.
Got it, I'll have to read more thoroughly tomorrow. S/O to the fans and this community. I'm gonna try to get some sleep now.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

zonagrad wrote:
Postmaster wrote:Banging chicks on the table of a restaurant
Syphers was her name I believe. It's 2am on the East Coast. I suppose I could've written the same. :lol:

Who needs reality TV. Arizona basketball has had some crazy shit for the last 30 years. Kerr's father assassinated. Byrdsong murdered. Brian Williams/Bison Dele murdered. Michael Wright murdered. Bobbi's cancer. Damon Stoudamire's suspension. Ben Davis. Lute's strokes. Kevin O'Neal's bar incident at the Pac 12 tourney in LA. AJ Bramlett's fight with Eddie House in Oregon. The games are secondary when you think about all the shit that's happened. And that's the stuff that's public knowledge.

Oh, didn't realize that was her name. I was actually thinking you were talking about the guy who set up all the hookers.

Don't forget Rj and Luke in Candygate.
Or RJ getting suspended because Bill Walton gave RJ and Luke tickets to a laker game.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

CalStateTempe wrote:Then why would the fbi leak evidence to the media ruining millers reputation and career?
Here's a better question to ask....

IF they have him on tape and they have Dawkins records how come Sean has never been named by the FBI as someone they are investigating?

Have any charges been filed against Miller like they have against Book?

Crickets...
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

Man...still processing. This is so depressing. I'm just really sad one of my favorite things to do and support are getting shit on and will get shit on for years after this. We're fucked. It also doesn't help the lot of posters saying " but everyone does it" yada yada. Miller is on tap. Nuff said. Don't try to pretty it up. Yea I'm with you I want the dookies, Kansasses, and so on to get the same b/c they all do it but it doesn't f'ing matter. Miller was caught on wire. IDGAF about other universities at all. It's a f'ing sad day.
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

HiCat wrote:Not good..

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... estigation" target="_blank
lol u serious?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

What horrible news to wake up to
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Probably wrong. But why wasn't he indicted if he's on tape. Weirdly enough I think being a FBI informant could be more damaging to Miller's reputation (if true).
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

We're going to find out if people at and around (alumni) actually like Miller or if they just like him winning. Former players seem to be leaning to the former.
WildHolcs wrote:

lol u serious?
:lol:

Hicat always seems comes in and posts an article late after there's been ongoing discussions on the board. Have you heard the news"
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I went to bed early and this is what I woke up to...I'm like the rest of you shocked and devastated.

Still don't understand why Miller wasn't indicted along with Book and the other assistants when this whole scandal broke. If they had the evidence then why not then? Why would they be holding back? I mean Pitino was cited originally so why not include Miller?

Something isn't right. Oh well maybe I'm just delusional as well as heartbroken.

SIGH......
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

NYCat wrote:We're going to find out if people at and around (alumni) actually like Miller or if they just like him winning. Former players seem to be leaning to the former.
WildHolcs wrote:

lol u serious?
:lol:

Hicat always seems comes in and posts an article late after there's been ongoing discussions on the board. Have you heard the news"
I'm always the last to find out stuff.. :lol:
Terrible boomer tendency.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Harvey Specter wrote: Your post above could read like a Nixon administration narrative commenting on Deepthroat.

In his defense I am tired of the FBI.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:I went to bed early and this is what I woke up to...I'm like the rest of you shocked and devastated.

Still don't understand why Miller wasn't indicted along with Book and the other assistants when this whole scandal broke. If they had the evidence then why not then? Why would they be holding back? I mean Pitino was cited originally so why not include Miller?

Something isn't right. Oh well maybe I'm just delusional as well as heartbroken.

SIGH......
Miller wasn’t indicted because (from all appearances) he didn’t commit a crime. No bribery, wire fraud, tax evasion, or money laundering. Talking about paying players is not against the law ........ but it is against NCAA rules. Which sucks. Because we now have this in the hands of people who think some free pizza and a few grains of not a fucking thing are reason enough to fuck us in the butthole (no lube).
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Discussing payment isn't a crime and giving money isnt a crime. Book actually took money as a bribe
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Any chance we just roll the entire team out tonight?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

CatHoops wrote:Any chance we just roll the entire team out tonight?
I think there is a pretty good chance of it actually... Well maybe not trier. But it would be a classic FU if Arizona rolled tired out there without being cleared.