Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Will Rich Rod leave after this season? (Poll)

Post by azgreg »

DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Chicat wrote:
jimson wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Tomey was totally mediocre outside of two ten-win seasons, and UA fans loved him
Not really, outside of those non-mediocre seasons he infuriated the fans.
Not this fan, or any of my classmates/friends. We definitely were not the biggest fans of his offense but other than that I really liked him as a coach and didn't like that he was let go. I just thought we needed to upgrade the facilities so we could recruit better and that he needed to let his OC get creative with play-calling.

Same here. Hated the O but really liked the guy. The character and culture the program had back then.
azcat49

Re: Coach Rod

Post by azcat49 »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
azcat49 wrote:We need to get this clown (CTG) out of the Coach Rod thread. When CTG actually gets to a BCS level bowl, ring me up. Even when he won the south at ASSU he couldn't get into the top 8 to get a bid like RR did with us.

I don't care if he breaks wind with Belicheck, good for them. Dude needs to accomplish something first past taking 3 or 4 mediocre programs to nowhere bowls. CTG lives the quote, fake it until you make it
BCS level bowl? Is that what you are calling the bowl for the 2nd place PAC 12 team now? It was the Holiday bowl a couple years ago. Speaking of faking it, when was the last time RR beat an LA school? Let me help you: it was 2012. UA hasn't beat the two most talented teams in its own division in 3 years and you want to talk about faking it? Riiiiiiiight.
Two simple questions I would like you to answer:

1) was the Fiesta not a top 4 bowl relegated to the top 10 teams in the playoff system?
2) has CTG ever coached as a head coach in a BCS level game or qualified in the top 10 in the playoff system

Awaiting your answer
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

jimson wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Tomey was totally mediocre outside of two ten-win seasons, and UA fans loved him
Not really, outside of those non-mediocre seasons he infuriated the fans.
If you are talking about seasons other than '93 and '98 as all being mediocre (which is somewhat fair), then 3 of our last 4 seasons have been mediocre. Only 2 since Tomey left have been better than mediocre - with several that were far worse.

Don't discount Tomey's record vs ASU. That matters (to some of us, a LOT). It was SO nice kicking their ass on an annual basis...

I am beginning to accept the idea that our program ceiling is a program that hovers around ~0.500 in conference play, with a really legit run once every several years. History certainly suggests that to be the case, no matter how much I want to believe otherwise.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azgreg wrote:
Interesting. If true, I wonder which party ended the courtship.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Be could still be considered for jobs like Missouri or Maryland but overall I think he's staying.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Never got an offer. At this point something crazy would have to happen for RR not to be here next season. Miami is not interested as their search committee is made up of Jimmy Johnson and former U players. Have to think that Butch Davis ends up with that gig again.

VT is a mystery to a lot of folks as it's no secret that RR and the AD are boys but you wonder if Beamer maybe isn't a big fan of RR or the major donors aren't either. That's college sports today - donors and the influential are the real decision makers today.

South Carolina as many have suggested is probably a place where RR would like to go but again he's not a top candidate and you have to think that the AD would have his guy in mind. At this point the AD and the agent have traded numbers etc and all that's left is the season to finish up? Unless the AD is incompetent, I can't see them getting down to RR.

Maryland and Missouri haven't reached out to RR and it's possible that they do but the same rule applies to South Carolina. Both schools knew they were going to hire a new coach for a couple of months now and both schools had had plenty of time to reach out to said prospect(s). If you haven't been contacted by now then there's a really good chance that you won't be. Somebody would have to really be bad at their job to not already have their candidate in mind and have communicated to the coach's agent.

After those jobs there really isn't much left for RR except the Clemson job and Dabo isn't going anywhere any time soon. The Florida schools are either set or soon to be set. He's not going back to WV and VT is hiring somebody else. He won't get the Georgia job if that opens so what's left? Not to mention that I don't think he can play this stunt again as GB has no doubt talked about what jobs if they came open that RR would be interested in and as stated above - those jobs aren't likely to open up anytime soon.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dc4azcats wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Never got an offer. At this point something crazy would have to happen for RR not to be here next season. Miami is not interested as their search committee is made up of Jimmy Johnson and former U players. Have to think that Butch Davis ends up with that gig again.

VT is a mystery to a lot of folks as it's no secret that RR and the AD are boys but you wonder if Beamer maybe isn't a big fan of RR or the major donors aren't either. That's college sports today - donors and the influential are the real decision makers today.

South Carolina as many have suggested is probably a place where RR would like to go but again he's not a top candidate and you have to think that the AD would have his guy in mind. At this point the AD and the agent have traded numbers etc and all that's left is the season to finish up? Unless the AD is incompetent, I can't see them getting down to RR.

Maryland and Missouri haven't reached out to RR and it's possible that they do but the same rule applies to South Carolina. Both schools knew they were going to hire a new coach for a couple of months now and both schools had had plenty of time to reach out to said prospect(s). If you haven't been contacted by now then there's a really good chance that you won't be. Somebody would have to really be bad at their job to not already have their candidate in mind and have communicated to the coach's agent.

After those jobs there really isn't much left for RR except the Clemson job and Dabo isn't going anywhere any time soon. The Florida schools are either set or soon to be set. He's not going back to WV and VT is hiring somebody else. He won't get the Georgia job if that opens so what's left? Not to mention that I don't think he can play this stunt again as GB has no doubt talked about what jobs if they came open that RR would be interested in and as stated above - those jobs aren't likely to open up anytime soon.

Thanks for the added color, DC. Very interesting, and not too surprising.

VTU and So Car were the 2 that I thought posed the 2 biggest threats - and he was a borderline prospect for both of them in my mind. IMO, he was never going to be considered for Miami unless he had a repeat of last season... Which obviously we have not. I can see Clemson being highly desirable, but even if Dabo were to jump ship (I don't expect), they will have their sights set far higher.

If he would really consider leaving for Mizzou or Maryland (I do not think he would), then he really does not want to be here and is simply keeping a seat warm until he can get another job. I really hope that is not the case; if it is... He ought to go back into the broadcast booth - and I wish he would.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

VT was the only one I was really worried about. Good news.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

I don't know why (well, yes I do) it's so hard for us to see why Maryland, Va Tech, or So Carolina don't want RR. Remember when the Louisville job opened the fans revolted as soon as they heard RR was a possible candidate? Those schools and fans don't want him for a number of reasons. RR's perceived difficult personality, the conditions he'll bring with him, such as Casteel, the less emphasized defense (he won't ever work in the SEC for that reason alone), and the lingering bad taste of his Michigan tenure.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

azcat49 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:We need to get this clown (CTG) out of the Coach Rod thread. When CTG actually gets to a BCS level bowl, ring me up. Even when he won the south at ASSU he couldn't get into the top 8 to get a bid like RR did with us.

I don't care if he breaks wind with Belicheck, good for them. Dude needs to accomplish something first past taking 3 or 4 mediocre programs to nowhere bowls. CTG lives the quote, fake it until you make it
BCS level bowl? Is that what you are calling the bowl for the 2nd place PAC 12 team now? It was the Holiday bowl a couple years ago. Speaking of faking it, when was the last time RR beat an LA school? Let me help you: it was 2012. UA hasn't beat the two most talented teams in its own division in 3 years and you want to talk about faking it? Riiiiiiiight.
Two simple questions I would like you to answer:

1) was the Fiesta not a top 4 bowl relegated to the top 10 teams in the playoff system?
2) has CTG ever coached as a head coach in a BCS level game or qualified in the top 10 in the playoff system

Awaiting your answer
1. Yes, though not technically relegated to the top 10 in the playoff system.
2. No (Though not sure what your point is with this one. TG won the South in the BCS era, not the playoff era. So not an apples to apples comparison. No one knows where ASU would fall in the playoff ranking after the '13 season.)
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Word on the "street" is the VT booster base was divided and sour on RR. Not all, but enough. Which is no surprise. Bud Foster was bit of a sticky point as well.

Really think WV will be the only realistic future rumor from here on in (if). But that WV "street" saying boosters still like RR, but AD Lyons and Prez Gee (why would he? Former tOSU Prez) not a big fan of RR. I personally don't think it's a great fit anymore anyways. Too much history.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

As for future rumors, if Florida State ever opens up the noise on that one will be deafening. Also I think it was azcat49 who mentioned Clemson.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Isn't RR's vacation home on the border between SC and GA?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thank you for replying. It is pretty simple, RR has played in multiple BCS level games at WVU and at AZ while CTG is still trying to get in his first one. He and his staff are excellent coaches but to date they have not achieved at the same level as RR and staff.

Both have won the south and CTG owns the head to head at this point and while RR has not been successful against the LA schools he has been pretty darn good against the PAC's premier program, Oregon. Match ups are match ups. Some are favorabel and some not. That is why they play a 9 game schedule and the best record reps the division. We can split hairs and opinions but at the end it should just come down to who has been there and who has not.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Others have said it. SEC and 3-3-5? Also, as others have said the compliance officer and associate AD at South Carolina was the one trying to blow the whistle on RR at Michigan for his not turning in practice hours. When Michigan reprimanded RR at Michigan, she was included in that reprimand for not pursuing it hard enough. She also left Michigan little after to go to SC.

Also, shared before, Several coaches own homes on that lake. RR plays in golf tournament annually (Chick-fil-A Challenge now).

Also personally feel now that ACC would be few places for a lower tier school (ladder climb, like AZ) to take a "chance" on RR. Not a traditional school. To much risk with his schemes and defense. Same divisiveness as the VT

EDIT: Added Other coaches who have homes on Lake Oconee. Ironically, it was Bruce Arians that convinced RR last year to buy there.
Lake Oconee: The vacation destination for many coaches
Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez jokes that "coaches go to die" at Reynolds Plantation. The resort community is just over an hour southeast of Atlanta on Lake Oconee. It's where many high-profile coaches and their families vacation during the summer. "It's great seeing guys in a relaxed setting," Rodriguez told The Inside Read.

Besides Rodriguez, head coaches who hit Reynolds Plantation this summer include the Arizona Cardinals' Bruce Arians, Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer, Mississippi State's Dan Mullen and Central Florida's George O'Leary. The spot also attracted Virginia Tech associate head coach and running backs coach Shane Beamer, Louisville defensive coordinator Todd Grantham, former Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe and Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart.

Many of those coaches play in a charity golf tournament in the area in late June that benefits Rodriguez's family's foundation. During Rodriguez's two-week break, he also played golf with Mullen and the younger Beamer.

The coaches usually run into each other on the water and during Fourth of July festivities. Rodriguez first got turned on to Reynolds Plantation in 2008, when he played in the Peach Bowl Challenge's annual charity golf tournament.

It was Rodriguez's in-state pal, Arians, who convinced him last summer to buy a house in the area. As Rodriguez noted, there is plenty of room for more coaches given Lake Oconee's 374-mile shoreline.
http://www.campusrush.com/nick-chubb-ge ... =cr_social
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

VT isn't interested in RR.

Sources tell FootballScoop that Whit Babcock considers Larry Fedora a strong candidate at Virginia Tech. We are also of the understanding that Rich Rodriguez will not be a candidate for this position."

That should end the drama.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azpenguin wrote:As for future rumors, if Florida State ever opens up the noise on that one will be deafening. Also I think it was azcat49 who mentioned Clemson.
How in the world is Florida State even a remote possibility if UVA, VT, Louisville, Maryland, and South Carolina DON'T WANT RR!?!?!?!?!?!

Makes no sense for you to say that.

RR might rather have those better jobs, Clemson or FSU, but it's nothing that will be reciprocated.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ASU finished 13th in the 2013 rankings and missed an almost sure chance to go to the Fiesta Bowl by one spot.

Poor Cracker.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I didn't say it was a possibility. The rumor mill doesn't take things like that into account. The second FSU opens up a lot of reporters will put his name out there. Then a bunch of people will take that and run with it. It's the same thing with every coaching search ever. Like I said, the noise will be deafening... even if there's not a shred of substance to it.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Thank you for replying. It is pretty simple, RR has played in multiple BCS level games at WVU and at AZ while CTG is still trying to get in his first one. He and his staff are excellent coaches but to date they have not achieved at the same level as RR and staff.

Both have won the south and CTG owns the head to head at this point and while RR has not been successful against the LA schools he has been pretty darn good against the PAC's premier program, Oregon. Match ups are match ups. Some are favorabel and some not. That is why they play a 9 game schedule and the best record reps the division. We can split hairs and opinions but at the end it should just come down to who has been there and who has not.
Solid rebuttal, 49...

That said, I don't care what RR did at WVU - only what he does here... and a lot of that (foolishly I know) has to do with beating the Turd head to head and finishing ahead of them in the standings.

This week is big, as we have the opportunity to even the score (over the RR-Turd era) on both fronts, with our BCS appearance being the tie-breaker.

Countdown to Saturday....
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azpenguin wrote:I didn't say it was a possibility. The rumor mill doesn't take things like that into account. The second FSU opens up a lot of reporters will put his name out there. Then a bunch of people will take that and run with it. It's the same thing with every coaching search ever. Like I said, the noise will be deafening... even if there's not a shred of substance to it.
It won't be deafening because it will get squashed like a fly on the windshield long before it reaches the same neighborhood as that decibel level.

You thought Louisville and VTU alumni were vocal in their opposition to a RichRod hire? Just wait until FSU (who is again elite) or Clemson (who has always viewed themselves that way, and are finally performing like it) supporters respond to that idea.

The only thing deafening will be the war chants from the Atlantic Coast in strong opposition to that idea. The rumor will be crushed before it even exits the womb.

The only thing that could change that would be a P12 conference championship or two.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azpenguin wrote:I didn't say it was a possibility. The rumor mill doesn't take things like that into account. The second FSU opens up a lot of reporters will put his name out there. Then a bunch of people will take that and run with it. It's the same thing with every coaching search ever. Like I said, the noise will be deafening... even if there's not a shred of substance to it.
It won't be deafening because it will get squashed like a fly on the windshield long before it reaches the same neighborhood as that decibel level.

You thought Louisville and VTU alumni were vocal in their opposition to a RichRod hire? Just wait until FSU (who is again elite) or Clemson (who has always viewed themselves that way, and are finally performing like it) supporters respond to that idea.

The only thing deafening will be the war chants from the Atlantic Coast in strong opposition to that idea. The rumor will be crushed before it even exits the womb.

The only thing that could change that would be a P12 conference championship or two.
On message boards, maybe. But here's a prime example of how this stuff works in the media:
Guess which one of those isn't going away?

The talking heads have tons of space to fill and they want the clicks, the retweets, the shares, etc. It doesn't matter how grounded in reality it is, they're gonna do it. It's just what they do.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Dino Babers is getting rocked so far by Toledo.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Reporters might dangle his name for a second, but I doubt it. We've already had equivalent power jobs in Miami and Florida open and RRs name was wiped from the get-go.

What I still don't think most of us fans get is that RRs coaching search situation is backwards from the usual scenario. Most proceed as the coach deciding whether he wants to take a certain job that opens; in this case it comes down to whether the fans/boosters/AD would care to take RR. So if a job opens - VT, UVA, Maryland - it is a matter of RR wanting it. It's the other way around, their support doesn't want him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No surprise here after this year and unable to beat rivals.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Merkin wrote:No surprise here after this year and unable to beat rivals.
The way he conducted himself after the game you sure thought it was his last game @ UA.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Yeah like I dais two weeks ago, someone would have to be interested. His stock had dropped
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I still wouldn't be surprise if the talk changes now the season is basically over for Arizona.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The way he conducted himself after the game you sure thought it was his last game @ UA.

Curious what you heard or saw?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

And how was that
Scummy Dick Douglas

I posted this in another thread, but a few of my buddies were on the field after the game and text me. Said RR all class after the game. Was one of the last Wildcats off the field. Embraced Graham, then went out of his way to find Simone and hugged him as well. Then went looking for and found Norvell and Randolph. These coaches are usually quick to shake hands and get off the field. Not this time for some reason.

My buddies and I have been skeptical of all the rumors surrounding RR and leaving, but they said they think there might be something to it with the way RR was after the game. It was almost as if he was saying goodbyes to ASU's staff. Its either that, or TG and RR have really buried the hatchet because their usual quick emotion less handshake was absent after this game. I saw RR's wife was even there to hug TG right after RR. It might mean nothing, but it was strange none the less.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Interesting. I know he got emotional in his press conference about the players and what they went through this year.

Guess we should know in a couple 2-3 weeks
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

He will leave in the middle of the night and we will be left with Dino Babers, unless Byrne can really hit a home run.

Forgive me if I'm not all broken up about RR's end-of-game love fest.

Irish thinks we're lucky to have RichRod. I think he needs to explain that to the rest of the D-1 programs in America who don't want him, injuries or no injuries.

Like Harvey, I am done to death with excuses. The facilities are there, now either recruit to win or quit wasting a lot of my alma mater's time and money.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

catgrad97 wrote:He will leave in the middle of the night and we will be left with Dino Babers, unless Byrne can really hit a home run.

Irish thinks we're lucky to have RichRod. I think he needs to explain that to the rest of the D-1 programs in America who don't want him, injuries or no injuries.

Like Harvey, I am done to death with excuses. The facilities are there, now either recruit to win or quit wasting a lot of my alma mater's time and money.
It's that easy huh? Just recruit better and that will solve all the problems? USC and UCLA seem to kill us in the recruiting trail every year and what have they done recently?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

catgrad97 wrote:He will leave in the middle of the night and we will be left with Dino Babers, unless Byrne can really hit a home run.

RR isn't leaving Arizona just because how bad this season has been. And beside Dino Baber is probably going to HC gig at the Big 10 level.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

this. I still believe RR already inked a deal. time will tell.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I will be surprised if RR is gone because I do not think his stock is high enough to get a job that is a step up from UA... And even if it is, it would be a job (not one of the ones he covets, anyway) that is not a big enough step up to warrant the hassle and frustration of starting over.

I don't want him to leave. If he does, however, I hope it is already a done deal and it is announced within 10 days.

Our worst case scenario? He is on the B list for either VTU or So Car... they whiff on their top targets... and settle on him 6 weeks from now. That puts us behind the 8 ball finding a replacement AND destroys the recruiting class.

I am not sure this scenario is so far-fetched, either - especially with all the big-time jobs that are open (or likely to be).

In addition to VTU and So Car... I think North Carolina could be opening in an attractive region & conference for him. Good chance Fedora is a candidate to move up after this season. Remember when he was on our hot list 4 years ago?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

If a Rich Rid stays 2016 will be his Alamo. Better schedule, a ton of people back (not sure if that's a good thing though) multiple QB's with experience, what should be a great offense, and can't get any worse defense.

There will be heavy pressure to win and contend for a rose bowl. All his free passes will be up since its year 5. If he doesn't have a successful year his stock further declines as maybe then he didn't turn around Arizona and he isn't that God and he is getting older and his window just shut.

I think this is why decent chance he leaves. He knows things could be much worse next year if Arizona sucks again.

Who knows just would like to not suck at football especially against our rivals
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

AZarchery wrote:

It's that easy huh? Just recruit better and that will solve all the problems? USC and UCLA seem to kill us in the recruiting trail every year and what have they done recently?
Best us every year basically and be in the pac 12 title game this year (well at least either one will be in it)

Keep in mind USC has had crippling sanctions and terrible coaches and still be been better then us for one simple reason, recruiting. This is why we are f@cked if they get a good coach. Can you imagine if Arizona had their sanctions we would go winless for multiple years.

And yes recruiting great players literally solves all problems.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:If a Rich Rid stays 2016 will be his Alamo. Better schedule, a ton of people back (not sure if that's a good thing though) multiple QB's with experience, what should be a great offense, and can't get any worse defense.

There will be heavy pressure to win and contend for a rose bowl. All his free passes will be up since its year 5. If he doesn't have a successful year his stock further declines as maybe then he didn't turn around Arizona and he isn't that God and he is getting older and his window just shut.

I think this is why decent chance he leaves. He knows things could be much worse next year if Arizona sucks again.

Who knows just would like to not suck at football especially against our rivals
Not sure I agree with the QB experience piece... 2 quarters and an assortment of mop-up duty mostly handing the ball off would not classify Dawkins (in my view) as experienced. Today qualifies as a very limited amount, but that is about it. Although I did like much of what I saw this afternoon.

If next year is another disappointment, there will be plenty of free passes - although maybe not quite as many. There will always be (an) extenuating circumstance(s) with a disappointing season, and often those explanations have some validity.

But according to many die-hard fans, the one winning conference record he has had in his last 7 seasons is the only one for which he is responsible - and the only real testament to his staff's true coaching abilities. All the others were attributable to things beyond the control of the coaches.

He's the unluckiest dude I know who pulls down over $2MM per...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I still believe RR already inked a deal. time will tell.
Actually, it won't. Personally I think there's 0% chance anyone has signed anything, but there is no way to know either way (except of course for whatever the hate in your heart tells you).

So if that "Hillbilly Carpetbagger" or whatever else you call him is coaching the team next year, I'm guessing you won't be rooting for them?
Harvey Specter wrote:If next year is another disappointment, there will be plenty of free passes - although maybe not quite as many. There will always be (an) extenuating circumstance(s) with a disappointing season, and often those explanations have some validity.

But according to many die-hard fans, the one winning conference record he has had in his last 7 seasons is the only one for which he is responsible - and the only real testament to his staff's true coaching abilities. All the others were attributable to things beyond the control of the coaches.
So much hyperbole. The truth always lies somewhere in the middle of extreme opinions. You can't really just dismiss what happened this year as far as injuries, scheduling, and just plain bad luck, nor can you simply brush aside the mistakes that have been made in recruiting and in putting the players that could play in the best possible position to win. The same way you can't ignore how lucky we got last year with injuries and how the chips fell our way with teams around us losing, nor should it be discounted that the coaches did a great job scheming for Scooby, Nick Wilson, and others.

I get it that people are upset with the results this season but overall this has been the best four year stretch in modern UA Football history. Could it have been better? Of course. Just because 32 wins in four years is something exceptional for us doesn't mean it's also not fairly mediocre. Could someone do better? Maybe. Could also do worse. After all, Mackovic was seen as an upgrade over mediocrity...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AZarchery wrote: It's that easy huh? Just recruit better and that will solve all the problems? USC and UCLA seem to kill us in the recruiting trail every year and what have they done recently?
Beat Arizona?
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Newportcat wrote:
AZarchery wrote:

Best us every year basically and be in the pac 12 title game this year (well at least either one will be in it)

Keep in mind USC has had crippling sanctions and terrible coaches and still be been better then us for one simple reason, recruiting. This is why we are f@cked if they get a good coach. Can you imagine if Arizona had their sanctions we would go winless for multiple years.

And yes recruiting great players literally solves all problems.
The bold parts are contradicting. Why do they need good coaches if recruiting good players solves all problems.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Merkin wrote:
AZarchery wrote: It's that easy huh? Just recruit better and that will solve all the problems? USC and UCLA seem to kill us in the recruiting trail every year and what have they done recently?
Beat Arizona?
Lol yeah they beat us but have they competed for a pac 12 title year in and year out like Stanford (Stanford has good recruiting classes but not great recruiting classes)? Have they made it to the college football playoff with their fantastic recruiting classes? Nope. Why? Because COACHING matters more than recruiting. And we have one of the best damn COACHES there is. Look how much production we have gotten out of 0 nfl talent. Personally I would rather have rich rod around for a long a time, because he will eventually get that one or two recruiting classes he needs to break through. Or would you rather have mark richt and les miles? Hoards of nfl talent every year yet never really doing anything with it. And before you say "well I want both." This is Arizona. We have no tradition, no money, and not much in state talent. You can't just hire some up and coming d coordinator and "get both."
I remember when people wanted Sean Miller fired because "he had too many transfers" and "he didn't make it to the tournament one year." That's what everyone complains about rich rod sounds like. Everyone seems to think we can just fire rich rod and replace him with someone better, which is a total unknown. Patience.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Genuinely where is Rich Rod going to go? At which one of these "bigger schools" would he win the press conference exactly? If he had a season like last year then I absolutely buy him getting out of dodge, but where does he have a soft landing at after a 6-6 season? An AD has to hire a coach that will sell tickets, which usually stems from a proven coach off a very good to great season or an up and coming coach at the smaller level. Rich doesn't fall into either category.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:If next year is another disappointment, there will be plenty of free passes - although maybe not quite as many. There will always be (an) extenuating circumstance(s) with a disappointing season, and often those explanations have some validity.

So much hyperbole. The truth always lies somewhere in the middle of extreme opinions. You can't really just dismiss what happened this year as far as injuries, scheduling, and just plain bad luck, nor can you simply brush aside the mistakes that have been made in recruiting and in putting the players that could play in the best possible position to win. The same way you can't ignore how lucky we got last year with injuries and how the chips fell our way with teams around us losing, nor should it be discounted that the coaches did a great job scheming for Scooby, Nick Wilson, and others.

I get it that people are upset with the results this season but overall this has been the best four year stretch in modern UA Football history[/]. Could it have been better? Of course. Just because 32 wins in four years is something exceptional for us doesn't mean it's also not fairly mediocre. Could someone do better? Maybe. Could also do worse. After all, Mackovic was seen as an upgrade over mediocrity...

Overall solid post with great points, Chi. Although I disagree on the charge of hyperbole. I think many here do dismiss away Rodriguez's failures as all being the result of extenuating circumstances stacked against him, and last year as an example of his abilities. The failed Michigan experiment was all on 1) UM admin trying to undermine him 2) The cupboard was bare (ridiculous to me) 3) the culture was toxic (because of those above him) and 4) He was not given the autonomy to hire the right staff. His first 2 years here 'Stoops left him nothing and we were far undermanned vs ASU" (some truth here but not to the extent claimed), and this year we were decimated by injury. The counter is ALWAYS 'look what he did last season'!

I agree that much of all that is true... And that we had luck on our side last season that made our program look farther along than it was... And also that we had some really bad luck this year that makes our program look in worse shape than it is. 1 season in 7 with some good luck sounds pretty unlucky to me.

I take exception with the last statement In bold; it is an apples vs oranges comparison due to nuances of different eras. I think it is probably true that it is the best four year start our program has ever had under any new coach, but am too lazy to lookout up.

The bowl situation is markedly different than it was in most prior eras where you had to do >> better than 0.500 overall to play in the post-season... We play one extra regular season game every year... And we have had consistently weaker non-con schedules than we ever did before. Breaking it down from my perspective:

- We are 18-19 in Conference Play (with 3 losing seasons and 1 winning one in 4 years)
- We are 19-19 vs teams from Power 5 conferences
- We are 1-3 vs ASU

To me, that is not the greatest 4-year stretch we have ever had; both Smith and Tomey had 4 year runs that were better. Last season was our 3rd most successful in the PAC era, but not enough IMO to offset 2 mediocre and 1 bad year(s) - when evaluating "the best 4 year stretch in program history".

Rich Rod is a good coach, who has gotten us pretty quickly to about the same level as we seem to settle in (Mackovic is the one major outlier). We could definitely do worse, and might not do much (if any) better.

I think that is the reality that even those most disgruntled among us has to accept, and why RR still has as much support as he does among die-hard board regulars. Overall we are not awful and we are not great.. Which is where we seem to belong.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Larry Smith had 6 straight winning seasons at Arizona, but only 2 bowls due to not nearly as many bowls, besides being on probation the first few years.

Smith only had 11 games too and could only count a Div IAA game once every 4 years for bowl eligibility.

RichRod has 12 games, and a FCS team every year. With automatic bowls with 6 wins you get a 13th game.

You also need to look at the OOC teams Arizona now plays.

Think the current staff would take on Notre Dame? Even Tomey thought he could take on PSU.

I really like RR a lot, just that saying 4 bowl games in 4 years is pretty good, just not as great as it would have been 30 years ago.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Couple of things:

- I did say "modern era". I feel like that encompasses the last 25-30 years, so that mitigates the bowl issue you bring up, but then the other issue is sample size. Have I narrowed it down just far enough to support my point?

- The cupboard was not bare at Michigan. Far from it. It was just wholly unsuited to RR's style. Guys who were recruited for 3 Yards & A Cloud Of Dust were all of a sudden being asked to go 110 MPH for 60 minutes. I honestly think if they had given him one more year he would have had them in the national title hunt.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?