Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: Coach Rod

Post by Harvey Specter »

AZarchery wrote:
Merkin wrote:
AZarchery wrote: It's that easy huh? Just recruit better and that will solve all the problems? USC and UCLA seem to kill us in the recruiting trail every year and what have they done recently?
Beat Arizona?
Lol yeah they beat us but have they competed for a pac 12 title year in and year out like Stanford (Stanford has good recruiting classes but not great recruiting classes)? Have they made it to the college football playoff with their fantastic recruiting classes? Nope. Why? Because COACHING matters more than recruiting. And we have one of the best damn COACHES there is. Look how much production we have gotten out of 0 nfl talent. Personally I would rather have rich rod around for a long a time, because he will eventually get that one or two recruiting classes he needs to break through. Or would you rather have mark richt and les miles? Hoards of nfl talent every year yet never really doing anything with it. And before you say "well I want both." This is Arizona. We have no tradition, no money, and not much in state talent. You can't just hire some up and coming d coordinator and "get both."
I remember when people wanted Sean Miller fired because "he had too many transfers" and "he didn't make it to the tournament one year." That's what everyone complains about rich rod sounds like. Everyone seems to think we can just fire rich rod and replace him with someone better, which is a total unknown. Patience.
No thanks on Les Miles. As for Richt... If RR left and we ended up with him, I would be neither ecstatic or distraught; I might be a little more hopeful.

As for no money and no in-state talent... That is a pretty big overstatement, I believe RR has the 3rd highest salary among P12 FB coaches... and I would say Arizona is consistently producing more in state talent than any state in the P12 region behind California (although we trail them by a VERY wide margin and always will).

As for the comparison to Miller... That is utter horseshit. The idiots who complained about him after season 3 were completely out to lunch. He had a couple tough seasons that were completely understandable (1&3), but his coaching success over his entire career is indisputable... The program trajectory was never in question... and it was crystal clear that significantly better days lied immediately ahead. If you think that is where we sit with our FB program today, we agree to disagree.

You are dead right that we cannot just fire RR and immediately replace him with someone better. Which is why a vast majority of even the most disgruntled are NOT calling for Rich Rod's ouster.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:Couple of things:

- I did say "modern era". I feel like that encompasses the last 25-30 years, so that mitigates the bowl issue you bring up, but then the other issue is sample size. Have I narrowed it down just far enough to support my point?

- The cupboard was not bare at Michigan. Far from it. It was just wholly unsuited to RR's style. Guys who were recruited for 3 Yards & A Cloud Of Dust were all of a sudden being asked to go 110 MPH for 60 minutes. I honestly think if they had given him one more year he would have had them in the national title hunt.
I would consider Smith and Tomey to have both coached in the 'modern era', and both had better stretches over spans that include the last 30 years. Even if culled down to only include the last 25 years... Tomey falls in there and the bowl situation has changed pretty dramatically over that period of time; the additional details that Merkin points out are highly applicable as well.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I said in the poll a while ago I would be happy if RR left and I think he will. I have changed np my thoughts on that. Always been a huge RR fan but he seemed out the door and the team seemed to lack fight at the time. Team has fought so hard since then the last three games and if Anu and Scooby and maybe one or two other guys (I know if) I have no doubt they beat asu.

As for Scheer saying he isn't a candidate for other opportunities right now, not sure I belive that with how many times his name did come up before and even if so we have to worry about who people like LSU and Georgia and maybe the other big names get their coaches from. A job that isn't as good as lsu but better than Arizona on the national landscape may be open if those big names hire their coaches.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:I said in the poll a while ago I would be happy if RR left and I think he will. I have changed np my thoughts on that. Always been a huge RR fan but he seemed out the door and the team seemed to lack fight at the time. Team has fought so hard since then the last three games and if Anu and Scooby and maybe one or two other guys (I know if) I have no doubt they beat asu.

As for Scheer saying he isn't a candidate for other opportunities right now, not sure I belive that with how many times his name did come up before and even if so we have to worry about who people like LSU and Georgia and maybe the other big names get their coaches from. A job that isn't as good as lsu but better than Arizona on the national landscape may be open if those big names hire their coaches.
I agree with this... as stated elsewhere, RR will not make any A list for those schools (except maybe WVU), but he could very certainly land on the B list.

And with the number of big jobs open, many schools will whiff on their top targets - extending the duration of their search and sending them down their wish list.

RR could get hired away in that scenario, and it may not happen until January... If that occurs, it will be (for us) the absolute worst case possible outcome.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hate in my heart...please chi.

I don't hate RR, I think he's a very good coach and a decent person. I just have many years of working with charismatic high achievers like RR that is likely influencing my opinion of him. True, I don't know the guy and I could be very well surprised, but he strikes me as someone who puts a lot of weight looking out for number one first.

I wouldn't want him to leave, would be crushed for arizona football if he did, but I still think that arizona was his "pit stop". Call it the curse of being an arizona football fan for having those type of thoughts.

As for my "commentary" RR will live and die by his crew, nepotism is strong with that bunch. Certainly you're smart enough to know that definition of carpetbagger is appropriate in this situation buying arizona when down only to rehab a career and move on.

It just stinks all around. I hope I'm eating some serious crow in 4 weeks and will be the first to come back and own up.

Also, unc would be another very attractive option for RR. And I might actually root for them, nice stadium, great part of the country, growing support for the program, a ton of talent In that part of NC. Besides, I like seeing the football teams of basketball schools do well. :)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So the name-calling is out of love.

Got it...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:

- I did say "modern era". I feel like that encompasses the last 25-30 years, so that mitigates the bowl issue you bring up, but then the other issue is sample size. Have I narrowed it down just far enough to support my point?

- The cupboard was not bare at Michigan. Far from it. It was just wholly unsuited to RR's style. Guys who were recruited for 3 Yards & A Cloud Of Dust were all of a sudden being asked to go 110 MPH for 60 minutes. I honestly think if they had given him one more year he would have had them in the national title hunt.
I would consider Smith and Tomey to have both coached in the 'modern era', and both had better stretches over spans that include the last 30 years. Even if culled down to only include the last 25 years... Tomey falls in there and the bowl situation has changed pretty dramatically over that period of time; the additional details that Merkin points out are highly applicable as well.
92-95 we won 30 games and went to 3 bowls (going 1-2). We won 30 games again from 95 to 98 going to two bowls and winning both.

Those two 4-year stretches I would say are probably equal to this one, but I don't think surpass it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

92-95 we won 30 games and went to 3 bowls (going 1-2). We won 30 games again from 95 to 98 going to two bowls and winning both.

Those two 4-year stretches I would say are probably equal to this one, but I don't think surpass it.
From 1983-86 we went 31-13-2 overall, 19-10-1 in conference, 4-0 vs ASU, and 1-1 in bowl games.

From 1987-90 (Tomey's first 4 years) we went 26-17-3, 17-13-3 in conference, 1-1 in bowl games, and 3-0-1 vs ASU. That stretch included a T3 and T2 conference finish in Tomey's 2nd and 3rd years.

From 1992-1995 we went 30-16-1, 20-11-1 in conference, had a T1 and T2 conference finish, went 1-2 in bowl games, and were 3-1 vs ASU. That stretch included the Fiesta Bowl win v Miami.

From 1995-98 we went 30-17, 18-14 in conference, had an outright #2 conference finish, went 3-1 vs ASU, and were 2-0 in bowl games (including the Holiday v Nebraska).

I can't find our schedules from those seasons but I can confidently say that we averaged >0.5 wins per season against non-PAC power conference teams.

I think all 4 of those stretches are more accomplished than the current one. Bowl games, a division championship, and # wins (the areas in which the current stretch falls) are advantages simply that result from more games, significantly relaxed bowling requirements, and conference expansion/ re-alignment.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

30 years goes back to '86 but of course feel free to use any years you want. I did.

Conference records should take into account the relative strengths of the conference that particular year or four year term (which is also an arbitrary measurement). I'd put the strength of the PAC last year up against any of those years, but that's just me.

Anyway, semantic arguments don't really interest me. If you want to stipulate this is in no way the best 4 year stretch out of the last 30, I'm not going to agree with you, but be my guest. I'm not going to go research a bunch of advanced metrics (or really any metrics) to try and prove you wrong. My feeling will remain that this is the best run we've had outside of our record against ASU (and UCLA).
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Chicat wrote:
Conference records should take into account the relative strengths of the conference that particular year or four year term (which is also an arbitrary measurement). I'd put the strength of the PAC last year up against any of those years, but that's just me.
Not just you - the PAC is undoubtably deeper the past 4 years than it was in either of the eras we are talking about.

Bottom line - RR is absolutely the best coach we are capable of getting here. If he leaves, anybody we would would get would be either a washed-up retread or an unproven up & comer, particularly this year with so many more compelling open jobs.

Whether it's the first, the second, or the third-best 4-year stretch in our modern history is splitting hairs - it's among the best, and RR deserves credit and a long leash for that.

I hope that there are some shakeups in the staff, particularly on the defensive side of the ball (need coaches on D that are willing recruiters), and I hope that RR continues to evolve his tactics (no zone read handoff on 4th and short please) but this doom & gloom because we lost to ASU at the end of a season with nightmarish injury luck is a bit much.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

I might be wrong, but I think Arizona had the best record in the Pac 10 in the decade of the 90's. Pretty impressive considering UW was still a power and had everything in place, even with Don James' departure. USC & UCLA always have a huge advantage with recruiting, history, etc...
That Arizona was able to have such consistency and compete like they did with Tomey with obvious facility shortcomings was pretty impressive.

RR benefits from Arizona not playing a real OOC schedule & that six wins earns you a bowl bid, which means a 3-6 conference record gets you there.

And if RR should leave, I shutter at the thought of Arizona getting somebody's leftovers from an established program. I don't want a coach who is looking to cash out one last time at Arizona's expense (Mackovic). I want a young coach who has shown he can win at an outpost of college football in an obscure conference and is ready to put together a staff that will recruit like hell. Larry Smith had a great pedigree and won at Tulane before Arizona called. That's the type of coach I'd like to see us target.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

carolinacat wrote:I might be wrong, but I think Arizona had the best record in the Pac 10 in the decade of the 90's.
First school I checked (SC) had a better record. Not sure about the others, but UA is definitely not the PAC team with the best record in the 90s.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Chicat wrote:
carolinacat wrote:I might be wrong, but I think Arizona had the best record in the Pac 10 in the decade of the 90's.
First school I checked (SC) had a better record. Not sure about the others, but UA is definitely not the PAC team with the best record in the 90s.
Overall record or Pac 10? I remember reading something about Arizona being the winningest team of the 90s but not sure if that applied to overall record or conference.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

1990-99 Pac 12 records

Arizona 45-35-1
Asu 43-36
Cal 31-48-1
Oregon 41-38
Oregon state 13-65-1
Stanford 42-38
Ucla 47-33
Usc 45-33-2
Washington 58-21-1
Washington state 31-49

We were fourth behind Washington, Ucla, and Usc.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

carolinacat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Overall record or Pac 10? I remember reading something about Arizona being the winningest team of the 90s but not sure if that applied to overall record or conference.
Overall.

I didn't look at conference records, but again you'd have to look at overall conference strength. Did UA beat up on a bunch of teams in a down decade or were these great teams that UA was consistently better than? I don't know the answer, but if you can take into account all teams' records and rankings, and UA's success against them, you'll know if conference record is meaningful or not.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

People are going to believe what they want to believe. The conference is strong now, but I don't buy into the notion that it is appreciably stronger than it was 30 years ago, although it probably is more balanced and not as bad at the bottom (which is probably true for every major conference). Some people act as if in the 80's and 90's with UW, USC, and UCLA consistently strong that it was a half step above the WAC. Oregon is now good and UW isn't, Stanford is much better, while USC / UCLA are worse.

We have had 3 losing conference records in 4 years, and are below .500 in conference over that period... Feel free to call that the height of Arizona FB in the PAC era. Disregard our 12 game schedule, cream puff non-conf schedule, and going bowling when we beat 1/3 of our BCS conference level opponents in a season if you wish.

Each person selects their own criteria... I have laid out mine. I think we are mediocre with one very nice year in the stretch. In my opinion, declaring the program as "being the best it's ever been" is patently false. Others obviously disagree, and that is cool.

From my view, so long as we keep scheduling 2 lower tier FBS teams &1 FCS team per year - and find a way to win one out of every three conference games - we can keep this unprecedented run going, and continue to go bowling.

Scheduling + Beat CU & UT and 1-2 teams from the North annually = glory days.

That's what I hear people saying.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You should try to remember my whole quote...
I get it that people are upset with the results this season but overall this has been the best four year stretch in modern UA Football history. Could it have been better? Of course. Just because 32 wins in four years is something exceptional for us doesn't mean it's also not fairly mediocre. Could someone do better? Maybe. Could also do worse. After all, Mackovic was seen as an upgrade over mediocrity...
Not sure how you got all of what you wrote out of what I said, but I think focusing one sentence taken out of context does my point a disservice.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I'd beg to differ that the conference isn't stronger than it was 20-30 years ago. Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, Stanford, and Washington State were mostly doormats. The Oregon schools were damn near an automatic W on the schedule. Stanford had the occasional good year but usually not so much. Oregon State has dropped back now, but the rest of the schools are at worst a very tough out and at best in the national title conversation. USC and UCLA are hovering around where they've always been. Utah has been a strong addition to the conference.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

As the coach searches are fully underway (mostly an interest game right now) and more clear answers of who is available (What coaches leave for new jobs, ect) are made, I expect RR name to be back in some of the conversations. Not saying he will get it or not, but I expect to hear rumblings again this year. Only so many good coaches are going to be available.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Considering at least 8-10 power conference jobs will be open and there are only so many good coaches.

dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Harvey Specter wrote:I will be surprised if RR is gone because I do not think his stock is high enough to get a job that is a step up from UA... And even if it is, it would be a job (not one of the ones he covets, anyway) that is not a big enough step up to warrant the hassle and frustration of starting over.

I don't want him to leave. If he does, however, I hope it is already a done deal and it is announced within 10 days.

Our worst case scenario? He is on the B list for either VTU or So Car... they whiff on their top targets... and settle on him 6 weeks from now. That puts us behind the 8 ball finding a replacement AND destroys the recruiting class.

I am not sure this scenario is so far-fetched, either - especially with all the big-time jobs that are open (or likely to be).

In addition to VTU and So Car... I think North Carolina could be opening in an attractive region & conference for him. Good chance Fedora is a candidate to move up after this season. Remember when he was on our hot list 4 years ago?
Agree with most of this and the exception is that I don't think Byrne is going to sit back and wait for RR. If a deal is in place then I think he knows it and has acted accordingly. I have no doubts that IF a deal is in place that this information has been passed on to GB by RR. If there's no deal and as you suggest it would take a bunch of folks saying no before they get to RR, I don't see him leaving at that point.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

dc4azcats wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:I will be surprised if RR is gone because I do not think his stock is high enough to get a job that is a step up from UA... And even if it is, it would be a job (not one of the ones he covets, anyway) that is not a big enough step up to warrant the hassle and frustration of starting over.

I don't want him to leave. If he does, however, I hope it is already a done deal and it is announced within 10 days.

Our worst case scenario? He is on the B list for either VTU or So Car... they whiff on their top targets... and settle on him 6 weeks from now. That puts us behind the 8 ball finding a replacement AND destroys the recruiting class.

I am not sure this scenario is so far-fetched, either - especially with all the big-time jobs that are open (or likely to be).

In addition to VTU and So Car... I think North Carolina could be opening in an attractive region & conference for him. Good chance Fedora is a candidate to move up after this season. Remember when he was on our hot list 4 years ago?
Agree with most of this and the exception is that I don't think Byrne is going to sit back and wait for RR. If a deal is in place then I think he knows it and has acted accordingly. I have no doubts that IF a deal is in place that this information has been passed on to GB by RR. If there's no deal and as you suggest it would take a bunch of folks saying no before they get to RR, I don't see him leaving at that point.
I want RR to stay. But the one bit of comedic value in the situation of him letting GB know he was going would be that Hansen's head would explode.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I think the assumptions are rather naive that if RichRod leaves, it'll be for another coaching job.

If he's just getting sick of coaching, he still has good connections back at CBS. Broadcasters definitely would want him back, even if most other ADs don't. Much easier job too.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

catgrad97 wrote:I think the assumptions are rather naive that if RichRod leaves, it'll be for another coaching job.

If he's just getting sick of coaching, he still has good connections back at CBS. Broadcasters definitely would want him back, even if most other ADs don't. Much easier job too.
Speculation or do you know something?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I know that there's a studio job available for RichRod whenever he wants.

If he's as self-interested as some, including you, seem to believe, a move back into the booth is another option--one that helps him avoid having to cut his losses, and some ties of loyalty, to the 3-3-5.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Studio jobs don't pay 3 million dollars a year and buy Foothills houses and lakefront vacation homes.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

The last thing Rich Rodriguez has to worry about, with his buyout, is money.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azpenguin wrote:I'd beg to differ that the conference isn't stronger than it was 20-30 years ago. Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, Stanford, and Washington State were mostly doormats. The Oregon schools were damn near an automatic W on the schedule. Stanford had the occasional good year but usually not so much. Oregon State has dropped back now, but the rest of the schools are at worst a very tough out and at best in the national title conversation. USC and UCLA are hovering around where they've always been. Utah has been a strong addition to the conference.
I said it is more balanced and not as weak at the bottom... I do not believe it is any stronger at the top. That can mostly be said for all of the major conferences, IMO. Parity is much more alive and well than it was in the 80's-90's. What BCS conference is not much stronger in the lower half than it was 20-30 years ago?

USC and UCLA have not recently been what they once were, but Oregon and Stanford are much, much better. UW is replaced by UO. Utah is typically mediocre / occasionally good (much like us now), and CU is a bottom feeder. Wazzu had stretches in that period where they were very good (2 Rose bowls 10-20 years ago), and they have kinda sucked (current year notwithstanding). Oregon State is definitely worse than it has been for much of the last 20 years or so.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

CalStateTempe wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:He will leave in the middle of the night and we will be left with Dino Babers, unless Byrne can really hit a home run.

Forgive me if I'm not all broken up about RR's end-of-game love fest.

Irish thinks we're lucky to have RichRod. I think he needs to explain that to the rest of the D-1 programs in America who don't want him, injuries or no injuries.

Like Harvey, I am done to death with excuses. The facilities are there, now either recruit to win or quit wasting a lot of my alma mater's time and money.
this. I still believe RR already inked a deal. time will tell.
RichRod to LSU :lol: :?:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:He will leave in the middle of the night and we will be left with Dino Babers, unless Byrne can really hit a home run.

Forgive me if I'm not all broken up about RR's end-of-game love fest.

Irish thinks we're lucky to have RichRod. I think he needs to explain that to the rest of the D-1 programs in America who don't want him, injuries or no injuries.

Like Harvey, I am done to death with excuses. The facilities are there, now either recruit to win or quit wasting a lot of my alma mater's time and money.
this. I still believe RR already inked a deal. time will tell.
RichRod to LSU :lol: :?:
RR wouldn't last 2 year at LSU.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Looks like different sources are talking about Fuente to VT almost a done deal:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/3 ... at_fuente/" target="_blank
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Virginia Tech (9) – Leaving: Frank Beamer. Arriving: The Dash is betting the mortgage on Memphis coach Justin Fuente, and betting that it happens quickly next week. Word is that athletic director Whit Babcock has his man, and has for a while now, and Fuente is that man. He’s done a remarkable job at previously moribund Memphis, going 18-6 over the past two seasons. It’s possible that tumbling dominoes at LSU and points elsewhere (namely Florida State) unspring this, but unlikely. A Fuente hiring would also keep Rich Rodriguez in place at Arizona.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-yard ... ncaaf.html" target="_blank

Memphis offered $3 million a year to keep him but doesn't look like its been accepted so this rumor appears solid.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -extension" target="_blank
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Makes me feel a bit better. With so many high profile coaching jobs, this wouldn't be a good time to be going against the big boys for a new coach.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yep. far too many power jobs and not that many elite coaches. I'm almost completely sure RR is staying now.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yep. far too many power jobs and not that many elite coaches. I'm almost completely sure RR is staying now.

For all my bluster and being taken in by speculation, I sure hope so hater.

I like my crow with apricot glaze and a nice crisp Riesling. Warm up the kitchen...
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

CalStateTempe wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Yep. far too many power jobs and not that many elite coaches. I'm almost completely sure RR is staying now.

I like my crow with apricot glaze and a nice crisp Riesling. Warm up the kitchen...
The speculation and such has been unreal and it seems to change daily. Check out the South Carolina boards today as they have a RR thread and even suggest that RR met with their AD this week in Atlanta. He didn't but it's amazing what's out there.

http://southcarolina.forums.rivals.com/ ... uez.92984/" target="_blank
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dc4azcats wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

The speculation and such has been unreal and it seems to change daily. Check out the South Carolina boards today as they have a RR thread and even suggest that RR met with their AD this week in Atlanta. He didn't but it's amazing what's out there.

http://southcarolina.forums.rivals.com/ ... uez.92984/" target="_blank
And the reaction b fans to that rumor is exactly as expected, they want NO part of him.

There is not a BCS conference school fanbase in in America that wants RR as their head coach as much as Arizona does. So let's please not talk of fan support, should he head back east.

IF he is going to leave for greener pastures before next season, I hope it happens fast. REAL fast.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

No team would take the risk with RR unless they want to have inconsistent defense every year under him. The only think they going to look at is Michigan tenure he had.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

There you have it.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Re: Will Rich Rod leave after this season? (Poll)

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

OK, so is the forum more settled now about RR not leaving? Or some saying now he's headed to UCF? (JK)
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I don't think he's going anywhere.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:OK, so is the forum more settled now about RR not leaving? Or some saying now he's headed to UCF? (JK)
More discussion on the coaching search thread in the arch rivals forum, but I am not settled yet.

South Carolina concerns me, as will North Carolina (to a lesser degree) should it open, and I think there is a good chance it could be.

If South Carolina is filled in the coming days, I will feel much more confident. If they miss publicly on Kirby Smart next week, I will be very uneasy.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Shoring up the class or one last trip to Hawaii before moving to the East Coast?

-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:Shoring up the class or one last trip to Hawaii before moving to the East Coast?
You would think a trip to Hawaii would require GB's permission. Would GB give permission to a coach he knew was leaving?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I absolutely want RR to stay. I really like the way his whole family bought into Arizona and I hope his statements about staying here till retirement can be adhered to-even with another mediocre season or three.

At the same time, I'm growing a little weary of all this speculation and I don't think it's good for our recruiting if it keeps happening year after year. We gave him a very good financial package, put in artificial turf for him, got our facilities in good shape, gave him what he needed to get his staff in place, and we have a great AD. We've bought into the Rodriguez's and it'd be good for them to let us know they're still committed here. I'd really like to hear him say, "enough speculation, I'm all in at Arizona and we need to get our recruits in".

Enough of this.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:OK, so is the forum more settled now about RR not leaving? Or some saying now he's headed to UCF? (JK)
Oregon OC Scott Frost Just became UCF Head Coach.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Shoring up the class or one last trip to Hawaii before moving to the East Coast?
You would think a trip to Hawaii would require GB's permission. Would GB give permission to a coach he knew was leaving?
Still needs to field a team in the future so yes. Hawaii trips are not really all that more expensive than eat coast trips
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
But Cordera told me there were no RR to S.Carolina rumors on Twitter. Or at least I think he did. Never can tell...
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Well he said similar about Louisville (LY), Maryland, VT, Miami and maybe more. Is there a time we can hold him accountable? Does he have anything else to offer other than this tweet? Anyway... Maybe another flight tracker number. Anyway... I'd like something solid to from him to look at/assess given that's the business he's in.

Sure the ntSC is having to tread down the HC hierarchy ladder (Kirby Smart). The beat writer from Columbia newspaper said today that Muschamp becoming a tough sell and that it's a very short list that has been extended. Reporter named Rich Bisaccia has having lots of internal support for the job now. Added Looking at Dino Babers. No RR mentioned. Did say expect decision early next week or latest end of next week.

Or, maybe Scheer meant Babers in tweet but did not disclose hoping people would think RR and the rumor mill alive. I know, I know, cynical. Anyway...

EDIT: Dan Wolken added this now:
South Carolina could consider as many six candidates beyond Smart on a list that includes former Florida coach Will Muschamp and Georgia defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt who both spoke with Tanner this week, the person said. South Carolina could also have interest in Arizona's Rich Rodriguez.
Wolken also said could (like he didn't know or that RR still down on the totem poll, like Forde said today) with lots of other openings. To be fair, Wolken has been wrong alot.

Btw: I do believe RR has had interest in leaving, but he's a tough sell right now.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.