Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: Coach Rod

Post by azcat49 »

That's what I figured DC, Thx. All this stuff was to weird and Chief rushing to crow made it seem like a strike of opportunity, truth or not
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:You know, I guess I just don't get as emotional about it as some. It's a business for coaches. It's the fans with the emotional investment.

I don't think you need to be more than a mercenary. What is Nick Saban but a mercenary? It's ok with his fan base because he wins.

RR will leave or stay. I care more about Arizona winning. It's not like that's not a mercenary thing too. Pick the nicest alumni we've got. I'd rather go undefeated with Todd Graham than winless with Tedy Bruschi.
It's a mix for me. I find RR to be immensely likable. He's awesome in front of the camera. But he's not so charming that if we were going 3-9 that I wouldn't want to see his ass canned. I'd dislike Graham the same way I disliked Stoops.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

DC- He did interview. There are a lot of smoke and mirrors being thrown around. He has had two meetings with the players since yesterday. I was told verbatim what was said by three different sources. All three say the same thing. Some players are ticked off and so are some parents. Naturally, so is most of the fan base. Every single fan and player wants this thing in the books. He says he is staying. He said he wouldn't interview till after the bowl game. So....we will all see. In the meantime, some damage is done because of the whole process.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

OK, just to get to record for further credibility...

DC - you don't think RR "Interviewed"? Maybe a phone conversation, but not much of one which means no interview. Going against national media. But you seem to support Scheer (good guy, have a beer with) and Scheer confirms an interview happened. So you think Scheer is wrong and national media wrong?

Chief - says he did. Formal interview?

So we're down to what is definition an interview? Or did I did I not read correctly?

This deep into a hiring process, good chance details come out. Even if State has to go through a records request over some months and something shows up that cost School money in the interview process.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:OK, just to get to record for further credibility...

DC - you don't think RR "Interviewed". Maybe a phone conversation, but not much of one which means no interview. Going against national media. But you seem to support Scheer (good guy, have a beer with) and Scheer confirms an interview happened. So you think Scheer is wrong and national media wrong?

So we're down to what is definition an interview? Or did I did I not read correctly?

Razor....Whether it was formal or phone....we don't know yet. However, all were told it was an interview.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I'm saying it's semantics. Phone call / interview. RR obviously interested in the job. School and RR wouldn't let it play out this long if there was no interest. There's too much downside to let it play out this way without any rebuttal from RR and the school. This is big boy game. Millions on the line. It would be dereliction of duty for Byrne or RR to let it go on this long if this wasn't real.
It's silly to try to parse it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Most head coaches don't go an interview unless they will be offered and then take it or use it as leverage.

What sitting head coach of a power 5 conference team has gone and been interviewed and just got flat beat out by someone else. They don't work that way.

RR could have interviewed but then I would expect a contract extension, a practice facility announcement or in his press conference Sunday he says he realized his gig here is where he wants to be.

I could see how if those coaches reps wanted to have a win win they would float all their clients name as it appears they may have done. Time will tell
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I'm with you RazorsEdgeAZ, I want to know what a formal interview entails. There is just way to much silliness and conflicts going on here. If he looked his players in the eyes and told them he wouldn't interview until after the bowl game and then did it anyway. Holy Smokes, in the words of Ricky Ricardo....."Oh Lucy, You got some esplaining to do now". If this turns out to be just more crap started by some over zealous sports writer, I would like to see his head roll.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:I'm saying it's semantics. Phone call / interview. RR obviously interested in the job. School and RR wouldn't let it play out this long if there was no interest. There's too much downside to let it play out this way without any rebuttal from RR and the school. This is big boy game. Millions on the line. It would be dereliction of duty for Byrne or RR to let it go on this long if this wasn't real.
It's silly to try to parse it.

I completely agree. It's probably one of the strangest things I can remember. It's not even good entertainment because it is just exhausting to follow. I know I can speak for all of us and say that either way this plays out....we'll all be glad when it's over.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Half a day away from this thread...wow
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

So on my Friday night I'm playing the "What is an interview?" game.

Too far for me. I'm tapping out.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

chiefzona wrote:DC- He did interview. There are a lot of smoke and mirrors being thrown around. He has had two meetings with the players since yesterday. I was told verbatim what was said by three different sources. All three say the same thing. Some players are ticked off and so are some parents. Naturally, so is most of the fan base. Every single fan and player wants this thing in the books. He says he is staying. He said he wouldn't interview till after the bowl game. So....we will all see. In the meantime, some damage is done because of the whole process.
Let me ask you this Chief? Do you think GB has been waiting around for the SC AD to call him and ask permission to speak to RR? I don't. Mainly because I think GB picked up the phone and called the VT AD and asked him if they were going to HIRE RR - forget the interview - are you hiring him or not? Do I think he did the same thing with the SC AD and called and said what's the deal? I do. So do I think RR really had an interview if Muschamp is the guy? I don't. Do the players or the players parents know one way or the other? No, they don't.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

DC - you don't think RR "Interviewed"? Maybe a phone conversation, but not much of one which means no interview. Going against national media. But you seem to support Scheer (good guy, have a beer with) and Scheer confirms an interview happened. So you think Scheer is wrong and national media wrong?

This deep into a hiring process, good chance details come out. Even if State has to go through a records request over some months and something shows up that cost School money in the interview process.
I love Scheer and I get that he has his sources and without sounding like Bill Clinton, I agree with what you're saying in the sense of "definition of an interview"? My take is that things aren't done like they use to be done where an AD calls the other AD and asks if I can talk to your coach? GB as everybody knows is very much proactive so does anybody think for a second that he's just sitting back waiting for the SC AD to call him? I don't think for a minute that he does that and I say that because no chance GB wants to be standing without a coach when the music stops. Meaning if RR is leaving then he has a guy or two that he's probably already vetted and probably has already talked to said agent to see if there's interest? So if another AD is serious about hiring RR then GB has called him and said basically what's the deal so I can be ready with my hire. So in that scenario, do I think RR interviewed? No. And if he did interview then he's taking the job. So, if RR doesn't get the job, I'm saying he didn't interview for a job he wasn't getting. If he does get the job then he obviously did interview for it and Wil Muschamp must feel like that ref he was yelling at during the Alabama game.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

dc4azcats wrote:
chiefzona wrote:In defense of Scheer....this is his worst nightmare. He had good repoire with the staff and he was comfortable. Now if there is a new hire, he has to hold onto subscribers that are fed up, plus find another insider/info guy. I'll bet Scheer isn't too happy right about now.
You've had some really bad posts in your day, but this is right up there. Chief, coaching staffs that are here at Arizona seek out guys like Scheer not the other way around. He runs a site that is all about recruiting so both the football and basketball sites feed him information and vice versa - stay with me on this - but they fed it to Gershon before him and will continue to do so if there's a new staff. Seriously, you couldn't be farther from the truth right now.
For once I agree with DC. The next staff will reach out to scheer just liked the old football staff reached out to me and jim Storey when I was doing the football updates for his radio show with Hanson. Literally got an email from out of blue from someone on the staff who fed me great info.

Trust me a recruiting directors job is to become best friends with the scout and rivals writers for that school because they get info from them on recruits and then feed them info. It's called reporting
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

dc4azcats wrote:

I love Scheer and I get that he has his sources and without sounding like Bill Clinton, I agree with what you're saying in the sense of "definition of an interview"? My take is that things aren't done like they use to be done where an AD calls the other AD and asks if I can talk to your coach? GB as everybody knows is very much proactive so does anybody think for a second that he's just sitting back waiting for the SC AD to call him? I don't think for a minute that he does that and I say that because no chance GB wants to be standing without a coach when the music stops. Meaning if RR is leaving then he has a guy or two that he's probably already vetted and probably has already talked to said agent to see if there's interest? So if another AD is serious about hiring RR then GB has called him and said basically what's the deal so I can be ready with my hire. So in that scenario, do I think RR interviewed? No. And if he did interview then he's taking the job. So, if RR doesn't get the job, I'm saying he didn't interview for a job he wasn't getting. If he does get the job then he obviously did interview for it and Wil Muschamp must feel like that ref he was yelling at during the Alabama game.
^This is not the way these hires come together. AD's do not communicate in the manner you describe. If SC is interviewing RR, they certainly aren't talking to Byrne about it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh Scummy, if you only knew who is DC's contact was/is. So close to GB he could tell you what he had for lunch every day. He knows how it went down
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

^This is not the way these hires come together. AD's do not communicate in the manner you describe. If SC is interviewing RR, they certainly aren't talking to Byrne about it.
So you think GB is just sitting back waiting for somebody to tell him if his football coach is going somewhere else or staying? Sure he is. The old school AD's probably conduct business in the manner you describe and with somebody within your conference I'm sure the AD's aren't talking to each other. But that's not the case here is it? And it wasn't the case with VT either.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Without any inside info myself... I tend to agree with DC on this point. You're dealing with ADs in charge of eight or nine figure budgets and coaches who are paid millions per year. These guys are grown ups and they know how the industry works. Byrne calling Tanner and asking him if he's going to hire RR isn't an attack on Tanner, it's just a request between guys who are put in tough situations when it comes to having to suddenly hire a coach. Tanner knows that it could be him next with another coach. Byrne has shown one thing since he's been here and that's the fact that he doesn't wait for things to happen, he attacks things proactively. If RR was going anywhere, I'm sure GB knows what's up and that he's already got a plan B ready.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dc4azcats wrote:

So you think Rich Rod is such a prize that all he needs to do is interview for a job and it's his? Or that he's such a playa that if he can't get a commitment up front he won't even take the interview? Sure...

By your reasoning, nobody ever needs to interview for a coaching job because it is all predetermined. Sorry, I don't buy that for a second. Theses situations are fluid are dynamic... They evolve as new wrinkles emerge.

I do not doubt that Byrne has been proactive in monitoring the situation all along, but I hope he called the SC AD more than once. Because 2 weeks ago, I would bet the answer to "are you hiring RR?" Was "Hell, No". Last week it was probably "Probably Not". This week it has been upgraded to "I am not sure... Maybe". Funny how that works.

I know you love you some RR... But he's a value stock that you seem to think deserves a valuation ala FB, SFM, or TSLA. He's not so well regarded that he going to get any decent job handed to him without having to work a little bit for it.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

So you think Rich Rod is such a prize that all he needs to do is interview for a job and it's his? Or that he's such a playa that if he can't get a commitment up front he won't even take the interview? Sure...

By your reasoning, nobody ever needs to interview for a coaching job because it is all predetermined. Sorry, I don't buy that for a second. Theses situations are fluid are dynamic... They evolve as new wrinkles emerge.

I do not doubt that Byrne has been proactive in monitoring the situation all along, but I hope he called the SC AD more than once. Because 2 weeks ago, I would bet the answer to "are you hiring RR?" Was "Hell, No". Last week it was probably "Probably Not". This week it has been upgraded to "I am not sure... Maybe". Funny how that works.

I know you love you some RR... But he's a value stock that you seem to think deserves a valuation ala FB, SFM, or TSLA. He's not so well regarded that he going to get any decent job handed to him without having to work a little bit for it.

Harvey, bingo and you nailed it with a sledge hammer!

What I find most amusing and troubling at the same time about all of this Rich Rod, will he stay or will he go is the secondary nuisances no one keys in on or is willing to touch.

Its actually quite stunning in its intellectually honest mental conflagration concept's, but shockingly revealing.

Rich Rod is Greg Byrne's and by association Arizona's first choice. But Rich Rod by any discernible metric is everyone else's "B" and "C" fallback plan.

And here's the real reality check, RR still wants out of Tucson. Take a big bite of that shit sandwich and see how it tastes.

Thank God we have the caliber of AD like GB standing in the wings to right the ship and maintain order. In the big picture Greg Byrne is the glue holding this baby together.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SCCats wrote:So on my Friday night I'm playing the "What is an interview?" game.

Too far for me. I'm tapping out.
This thread is way better than the holiday party, that slop they called food, and the rent a DJ that I just came from.

Wife and I picked up Taco bell on the way home. It was that bad...
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

FWIW.....Muschamp has not officially resigned yet.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The job I currently work at I did a phone interview for. It's more than possible for a coach to do a phone interview and even take the job site unseen. Hell Rich took this job without ever stepping foot in Tucson prior. From the sounds of it Rich and two other guys interviewed for this job last night. Fwiw some guys do interviews just to see what the job would offer and if the offer isn't enough they wouldn't take the job.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

This is getting to the point that we will never know what going on in RR head. I don't get it, why would the AD at South Carolina would consider of taken RR after a 6-6 season.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

cordera89 wrote:This is getting to the point that we will never know what going on in RR head. I don't get it, why would the AD at South Carolina would consider of taken RR after a 6-6 season.
The SC AD thought he had his man in Kirby Smart until Georgia let go of Richt. His other choices at this point are Lincoln Riley and Will Muschamp. Rich Rodriguez by comparison is a homerun for him at this point.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:This is getting to the point that we will never know what going on in RR head. I don't get it, why would the AD at South Carolina would consider of taken RR after a 6-6 season.
The SC AD thought he had his man in Kirby Smart until Georgia let go of Richt. His other choices at this point are Lincoln Riley and Will Muschamp. Rich Rodriguez by comparison is a homerun for him at this point.
Regardless in that statement, SC AD target Tom Herman first before he turn them down, took his name off their list and got extension from Houston to stay, Then try to go Kirby Smart then until Georgia pull the plug on Mark Richt and then Kirby get hired. But why cant they just go after an up and coming coaches like some program did but no they have go after our coach to replace a legend that cant be duplicated. I don't mind if Muschamp Get the job over RR.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Because ADs don't like to get fired.

RR is the older and more experienced of the group he's considering. So.Car pendulum base now wants offensive / exciting type minded football. RR can give him that. No brainer. Defense, another issue. It's about risk. Same as hiring any high level position. Just more politics and influence involved. Younger unproven guy in power 5 or has not made it is more of a risk to take on. Especially a real young coach. More risk, especially following Spurrier legacy. Think this is Ray Tanner's only 2nd coaching hire (baseball other to replace himself,). He was So.Car baseball coach first before becoming AD. So he's kinda a newby. Hell Spurrier just did his thing. Now it's all on Tanner (risk). If this was after last season odds are RR may have been in the first group to be considered. That 6-6 is playing a role. But RR a known commodity and engaging with fans. Also, what AD looking for (Stoops). Tanner's primary world is Baseball. Needs to turn the keys over in football to someone who can help him, lower risk
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

All sign point to Muschamp but the fans are not happy about that from what I gather. Tanner is probably getting a lot of heat and had to interview others. I'm thinking that the longer this draws out, RR is not the option at all.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well so much for the phone interview as it looks like all these interviews took place in North Carolina per Bruce Feldman.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... ier-120415" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You can personally thank Jason Scheer for this awesome era of coaching search secrecy.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Sources say South Carolina to hire Muschamp:

http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/south- ... er-taggert" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

After Sean Miller interviewed with and turned down Maryland (his previously admitted dream job), afterwards he said basically he was all in with Arizona and this is the place he wanted to be for a long time.

If it's not RR at ntUSC, he is going to have to have a to make similar type of statement at a press conference, or risk losing everyone (players, assistants, fans) going forward.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

On gameday they almost unanimously said Rich was the best and most likely choice for South Carolina
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Who said Tate was going to follow RR?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:All sign point to Muschamp but the fans are not happy about that from what I gather. Tanner is probably getting a lot of heat and had to interview others. I'm thinking that the longer this draws out, RR is not the option at all.
I haven't seen any South Carolina fan interested in RR, They want young OC to be their HC.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:Sources say South Carolina to hire

AtlantaSportsGuy wrote:Muschamp coming here has been a done deal since Thursday when I broke it. Since then the school has had to conduct three interviews as state law requires it for state positions. The rest has been agents using us as smokescreen trying to gain more salary for their coaches.

Only reason the deal hasn't been announced yet is because the SEC doesn't like other factors taking the spotlight from its game. That is why Florida had to wait last year to announce who they hired until after the game. A more formal announcement will come tonight or tomorrow about Muschamp's hiring.
http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php ... &page=1152" target="_blank
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

So if it's Muschamp to the Gamecocks, does this mean RichRod is still an OKC?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Should be a fun press conference tomorrow though. Maybe Chief can attend and ask some hard hitting questions
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

If it was Muschamp I would have expected something early this morning, or even later last night. There is no reason to push this later if it was Muschamp.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Didn't South Carolina already interview a few guys before the 3 they did yesterday?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Except for the SEC championship game played today. All eyes on the king
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Should be a fun press conference tomorrow though. Maybe Chief can attend and ask some hard hitting questions

No media credentials here buddy. The media here is just too soft and afraid to ask the pressing questions. We'll just see how it plays out.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:Sources say South Carolina to hire

AtlantaSportsGuy wrote:Muschamp coming here has been a done deal since Thursday when I broke it. Since then the school has had to conduct three interviews as state law requires it for state positions. The rest has been agents using us as smokescreen trying to gain more salary for their coaches.

Only reason the deal hasn't been announced yet is because the SEC doesn't like other factors taking the spotlight from its game. That is why Florida had to wait last year to announce who they hired until after the game. A more formal announcement will come tonight or tomorrow about Muschamp's hiring.
http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php ... &page=1152" target="_blank
Chi slap me in face and tell me who did they actually hired.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

UAEebs86 wrote:After Sean Miller interviewed with and turned down Maryland (his previously admitted dream job), afterwards he said basically he was all in with Arizona and this is the place he wanted to be for a long time.

If it's not RR at ntUSC, he is going to have to have a to make similar type of statement at a press conference, or risk losing everyone (players, assistants, fans) going forward.
for sure, though i also seem to remember him explaining it in part as a leverage maneuver to secure a charter flights and raises for his coaching staff. nonetheless, the post-mortem presser with byrne made all the difference with the fans.

azcat49 wrote:Should be a fun press conference tomorrow though. Maybe Chief can attend and ask some hard hitting questions
hopefully someone will straight up ask RichRod what's up and not tiptoe around the subject. whereas CSM is far more calculated and tactful when addressing the media, RR strikes me as a likeable, no-nonsense straight talker. you don't really see him trying to finesse his message or manipulate the media's takeaway. i'm sure if someone simply asks him about his current status, he'll give a direct and honest response.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

TyrantCat wrote:So if it's Muschamp to the Gamecocks, does this mean RichRod is still an OKC?
We don't know what really going on did or did he not go to south Carolina for an interview.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

So for the insiders on here, give a point as to which we're out of the woods on this saga. When is this over, for better or worse.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Thank you Chicat, That last version actually sounded believable with someone locked in but still having to jump through the legal hoops of the right number of interviews. Maybe an interview that wasn't really an interview but he did it to help out an AD because you never know when you might really want another job? Hopefully we can confirm all that manana with a press conference and we can move on to what we all love to piss and moan about which is recruiting.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

It already worst, If this is true that South Carolina Muschamp as their head coach, RR is going to have to explain his action on why he choose to interview at South Carolina.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Who cares? You don't have to explain to people when you interview for a job
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

UAEebs86 wrote:After Sean Miller interviewed with and turned down Maryland (his previously admitted dream job), afterwards he said basically he was all in with Arizona and this is the place he wanted to be for a long time.

There is a big difference between Sean Miller and Rich Rodriquez. John Miller raised his sons to be people of character and integrity. I'm not convinced RR got the same lessons. The cumulative effect of what's gone down so far leads me to believe RR is a fast talking, self serving slimeball. He impresses people verbally for the same reason good car salesmen do, and it appears there is just as much behind the words. "This is my last stop". Puleez! After all the support (and patience) he has received, and after turning out what would be generous to call a mediocre product, he's off to interview for another job (Fox reports it was a face to face, on site, interview)? It doesn't matter what he says in a press conference. It's all bullshit, anyway. Maybe Michigan was on to something. Someone buy him a Confederate flag and a can of bug spray and put his slimy ass on the next plane to Columbia.