Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Newportcat

Re: Coach Rod

Post by Newportcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Someone should be fired for making that video. It was so awful, honestly I can not believe they posted that. Thats two years in a row we have had absolutely horrible videos.
Yet it hasn't hurt recruiting and people forget about them almost immediately. There's literally no downside to them so...stop bitching? Or make a better one yourself if it bothers you so much?
The thing with the Internet is when you put out something horrible like that video was, it lasts forever. So even if Rich Rod starts winning big here we will continue to see Loads of Memes with him basically in a skirt. Now is it the be all end all no of course not but still that video was terrible and is a terrible reflection on our program. If we do not have a great season thats all that many fans outside of Arizona will remember about this team. I think the western was fine and I really liked the Speed one but last years was dumb and this years one was truly awful.

The downside of making these videos is that it does influence our brand within college football. I really can not believe the Athletic department watched the final cut and said, yeah lets post that. Should have just said "Lets skip a video for this year".
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Of course he's allowed to have an opinion. A completely misguided, idiotic and wrong opinion, but it's obviously allowed.
So you watched that video and that it was amazing and really great? Seriously???

Also, HATER you know you are being a douchebag when Puerco and Chicat both have my back in something on this board.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Newportcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Of course he's allowed to have an opinion. A completely misguided, idiotic and wrong opinion, but it's obviously allowed.
So you watched that video and that it was amazing and really great? Seriously???

Also, HATER you know you are being a douchebag when Puerco and Chicat both have my back in something on this board.
:lol: Exactly the first thing that came to mind.

I enjoy the videos and the effort etc., and try not to take them too seriously, but that one is atrocious. I'm not a big Gladiator fan so it's not my thing style/theme-wise to begin with. Doesn't have anything to do with Tucson whereas the westerns have everything to do with Tucson/Old Tucson history and projecting a relevant image/theme for the program that ties it to its place in the desert southwest. But you know, fun is fun and ultimately I like that RR is willing to clown around like this a little.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Someone should be fired for making that video. It was so awful, honestly I can not believe they posted that. Thats two years in a row we have had absolutely horrible videos.
Yet it hasn't hurt recruiting and people forget about them almost immediately. There's literally no downside to them so...stop bitching? Or make a better one yourself if it bothers you so much?
The thing with the Internet is when you put out something horrible like that video was, it lasts forever. So even if Rich Rod starts winning big here we will continue to see Loads of Memes with him basically in a skirt. Now is it the be all end all no of course not but still that video was terrible and is a terrible reflection on our program. If we do not have a great season thats all that many fans outside of Arizona will remember about this team. I think the western was fine and I really liked the Speed one but last years was dumb and this years one was truly awful.

The downside of making these videos is that it does influence our brand within college football. I really can not believe the Athletic department watched the final cut and said, yeah lets post that. Should have just said "Lets skip a video for this year".
It's not as serious as all that Newport. It's not like RichRod is tweeting out dick pics or something.

For one thing it tells recruits that playing for and attending Arizona is fun. No one takes themselves too seriously and even the head coach and AD are willing to get silly at times. And on top of that you get to dress up like gladiators or drive sweet cars and you'll get a bunch of traditional and social media notice.

I think in this case the old adage "there's no such thing as bad publicity" applies. They run a clean program filled with great kids. So what if some guy on the interwebs thinks your video is hokey?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Chicat wrote: It's not as serious as all that Newport. It's not like RichRod is tweeting out dick pics or something.

For one thing it tells recruits that playing for and attending Arizona is fun. No one takes themselves too seriously and even the head coach and AD are willing to get silly at times. And on top of that you get to dress up like gladiators or drive sweet cars and you'll get a bunch of traditional and social media notice.

I think in this case the old adage "there's no such thing as bad publicity" applies. They run a clean program filled with great kids. So what if some guy on the interwebs thinks your video is hokey?
The problem is when that hokey video is supposed to be carry the hype or embody the spirit of our entire season. Why would we want to be seen as "hokey" or "goofy"?

I don't think we have a problem with the intention of making videos that show a bit of personality. But they shouldn't be embarrassing. They should be done well.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

RichRod did the robot in front of the whole team at the end of his first Arizona camp. The goofiness is intentional.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
Chicat wrote: It's not as serious as all that Newport. It's not like RichRod is tweeting out dick pics or something.

The problem is when that hokey video is supposed to be carry the hype or embody the spirit of our entire season. Why would we want to be seen as "hokey" or "goofy"?

I don't think we have a problem with the intention of making videos that show a bit of personality. But they shouldn't be embarrassing. They should be done well.
"Hard Edge" & "Bear Down" embodies the spirit of our entire team every year, and this year we have "#Forever65". The videos are just supposed to get the fans hyped and talking, not serve as some kind of overarching banner for the entire program.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I watched it and came away with the thought the RR had some guns on him. I guess we all had different impressions. I would want a coach that knows how to win, knows how to push you, and knows that sometimes you need a laugh but Im different.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Newportcat wrote:

:lol:

Touché
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sounds like someone's pissed he won't get the chance to interview for other jobs again this summer...
Just as an FYI Coach, those are legit questions and you're acting like a baby. Why not say something to inspire the fan base to stick with this team during the shitty year you're overseeing?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Sounds like 'Oh, woe is us' is exactly what RichRod is doing. He shouldn't be combative just because of his coaches' sh*tty recruiting the previous three years.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Looks like he quit a long time ago, at least with respect to recruiting.

He is going to finish last in the south. He will have had a sub .500 record in the conference in 4 of the 5 years. He will have lost more recruits from his last 3 classes than he retained worst of all he will probably lose to ASSU for the 4th time in 5 years.

All this while commanding the 3rd highest pay check in the conference and a record amount of compensation paid to an AZ coach along with more money being poured into t h e program then ever.

Please quit RR, it's fine by me. It's only business you know. Hey and reporters asking questions, it's part of that business model.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Over the guy. Go on Scout and you'd think he's Bear Bryant with the way people make excuses for him
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:Looks like he quit a long time ago, at least with respect to recruiting.
That was the beginning of the end for Dick Tomey too. After the Holiday bowl victory over Nebraska leading the Cats best season ever, Dick thought the elite players should recruit themselves to the team.

We should have taken the hint when RichRod allowed Casteel to not recruit. Look at the D now. Just can't keep up with the bigger stronger teams.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am seeing something completely different, but that is sports, not everyone sees the same thing the same way.

I see a team with so so so many injuries. Injuries that have not allowed the offense due to qb, wr, rb and line play to operate as designed. I see a defense that looks outstanding in the early part of games lose gas from being on the field too much due to the offensive inefficiencies. I see good days ahead with a little more depth that fits the offense and new defensive system and a little better injury luck.

Sounds like a lot want a change. I can see a Michigan result of a change, although with our history, standing in the conference when it comes to football, lack of huge money and below par fan support, I do not see a good coaching coming in. I say Michigan because look and what Hoke did with RR's guys. One good year then crap.

I will listen to Miller here and trust the process.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:Looks like he quit a long time ago, at least with respect to recruiting.

He is going to finish last in the south. He will have had a sub .500 record in the conference in 4 of the 5 years. He will have lost more recruits from his last 3 classes than he retained worst of all he will probably lose to ASSU for the 4th time in 5 years.

All this while commanding the 3rd highest pay check in the conference and a record amount of compensation paid to an AZ coach along with more money being poured into t h e program then ever.

Please quit RR, it's fine by me. It's only business you know. Hey and reporters asking questions, it's part of that business model.
this

Fire RR now, I don't to have to wait to do what we know is already coming. he's had enough time too.

its only business.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Who would you hire that would accept the job that you feel would do a much better job?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Elevate Yates to HC, and give him the keys to the cadillac.

Either way from this point we are looking at 2-3 years of recruiting and rebuilding. I'd rather save a few mill than have to extend the process with RR, which has already burned though how many years?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Going to disagree.

5 years in and he talks about having to get bigger. You would think the guys he had brought in in year 1-4 would have got bigger but I guess they haven't. Time to fire the s&c
Coach then I guess.

Year 5 of your program and you will finish last in your conference and may not win a conference game. Only st AZ do we retain a coach AND give him a record retention bonus.

Year 5 of the program and you go 1-9 against the LA schools and you.might go 1-4 against your rival and yet you are paid as the 3rd highest paid coach in the conference.

Year 5 you have record financial support from the AD including ripping out the turf at the stadium only to see more injuries happen and players miss games in your tenure then ever in any 5 year period. Dumb luck or a pattern?

Year 5 you would think he would be winning big since he has all of his guys to fit the scheme he pioneered. Nope, worst of the 5.

GB better take a hard look or start planning for 40k a game for the next few years because at no other school would going winless in your division and losing your your rival 4 of 5 years bevtolerated. Only at AZ
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:Elevate Yates to HC, and give him the keys to the cadillac.

Either way from this point we are looking at 2-3 years of recruiting and rebuilding. I'd rather save a few mill than have to extend the process with RR, which has already burned though how many years?
Unless something crazy happens next year with a turnaround of the defense and no injuries yeah...we're looking at being a 3-6 win team until about 2019.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Don't you think the keys to this kingdom are too important to give to someone without HC experience?

I like him a lot but he is not the best of the best where I feel comfortable with him not having HC experience. More risky than Mike Stoops IMO.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:

Unless something crazy happens next year with a turnaround of the defense and no injuries yeah...we're looking at being a 3-6 win team until about 2019.
Yeah a team that played by far the best vs Washington. A team that had Utah against the ropes. Yeah totally.....NOT
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:Who would you hire that would accept the job that you feel would do a much better job?

Your kidding right? Just about any coach in year 5 with all of his players in his scheme would not go winless in his conference.

Just in RR class of coaches you have:

Mora owns RR
Graham 5-1
McCartney retained his players and might win the south

RR is a joke and he is reaping what he sowed. GB better take a hard look at the program after the year
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Yeah a team that played by far the best vs Washington. A team that had Utah against the ropes. Yeah totally.....NOT
Being down, what, 22 points in the second half isn't exactly having Utah on the ropes...
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Preach Azcat49.

I want to roll the dice on someone who is hungry and young. Give Yates HC, let him be a Defensive minded HC and then spend the money to bring an highly regarded OC.

Done. Would be much more fun and lend the fan base a lot more patience with the rebuilt the the shit sandwich they are selling us now.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I expect RR will be around another season. Interesting to see the line of questioning RR faced after the game. RR always appears thin-skinned. But he hates losing and got him at an emotional moment.

I'm just surprised reporters actually asked those questions. Fair questions. Not tough questions but not the layup questions RR gets a lot. Good to see reporters challenge RR a bit and not just paint everything as well or supporting reasons (excuses).

Byrne will protect RR for awhile. RR deserved another year to be evaluated with the staff changes he made. But I don't see it as cover that RR still stating his teams need to get bigger.

He's signed off on every recruit that committed. He's had plenty of time to get bigger. He's been using that line since year one. Still using it. They still target mid-major recruits heavy where AZ is many times the lone or very few power 5 offer that the recruit holds. Not all recruits, but many of them. This approach started back at WV.

It is what it is. Pac12 teams just now out powering or outlasting AZ. Other teams also beat AZ with better depth. Other teams have injuries too. maybe AZ has their fair share because they're battling other teams that are bigger. Sometimes lots bigger (faster too)

IF RR loses to ASU this year, I would expect RR to face stiff backlash and more tougher questioning coming at him from reporters.

Next year could be uncomfortable for RR. But like RR teaches, you have to learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable in this game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

You go winless in your division and lose to your rival for the 4th time in 5 years and you don't make a change? Who does that.

RR talks about being conformable being uncomfortable but man what a hypocrite. Ask him a tough question and he bristles. Guy needs to go back to WVU. Take him home country roads, please take him home
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

PHXCATS wrote:Who would you hire that would accept the job that you feel would do a much better job?
I think just about anyone we hire can beat 3 creampuffs we schedule in OCC, beat 2 horrible to mediocre teams in conference, then beat 1 good team like Rich Rod has done here with the exception of 1 year that people cling on to
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Arizona can lose out and RR would get one more year.

RR talk early was that he lacked talent and bodies the first two years. Now, Arizona could be more worse off today defensively and floundering around offensively. Its wearing on fans, you can't keep saying the excuse that Arizona is undersized when this is your recruited team.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I think RR has made some mistakes with recruiting and his staff. I want to win now, but I definitely think we'll be a much better team next year and I'm glad that Byrne will keep him.

It's a rough patch guys, but we'll win a couple more this season.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Excuses, excuses, excuses. Who are we going to beat?

CU -doubtful, that must be like what it looks like to rebuild a program

OSU- They will be at home where they play well. See the California game

Wazzu - This one could get really ugly given our corner backs

ASSU- this one should be win or your gone RR but I doubt it will be. Hard to believe but RR and these coaches have actually regressed our program

So we are looking at 0-9 in the conference. Not even Coach Wacko did that. Yet we will give this guy record dough.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

carcassdragger wrote: It's a rough patch guys, but we'll win a couple more this season.
What's your best guess on which two CD? I had penciled in Wazzu and ntOSU, but they both had impressive victories.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Excuses, excuses, excuses. Who are we going to beat?

CU -doubtful, that must be like what it looks like to rebuild a program

OSU- They will be at home where they play well. See the California game

Wazzu - This one could get really ugly given our corner backs

ASSU- this one should be win or your gone RR but I doubt it will be. Hard to believe but RR and these coaches have actually regressed our program

So we are looking at 0-9 in the conference. Not even Coach Wacko did that. Yet we will give this guy record dough.
We will not be expected to win a single game remaining on our schedule, but I will be very surprised if we do not pick up 1 or 2... games never all turn out the way they are supposed to. A 4-8 record and RR returns next season but it needs to be "Win or else time...". 8-4 minimum, with 5-4 in P12.

IF we somehow were to go winless in conference in Year 5, then I don't know how we don't reset the clock after this season. Our conference record during his 5 years will appear to have been somewhere between 17-27 and 19-25, with 4 lower-half division finishes. That on the heels of a 6-18 conference record at Michigan when the B10 was not exactly a juggernaut like it appears today. If we throw up a goose egg in P12 play, how do people honestly think our recruiting class is going to end up?

This is not Michigan, and this is not the same as firing a coach in Year 3. For those who say "Look what Hoke did with RR's recruits"... why does no one point out "Look what RR did in Year 3 with Stoops' recruits?" Besides, I remember reading from the "3 & Out" disciples that all would have been fine in Ann Arbor if the AD that undermined him had only ponied up enough $$$ to bring in Jeff Casteel. OOPS... now Jeff Casteel is the reason we need to give him until 2019...

McIntyre has done an excellent job at CU... steady, visible progress on the field with results on the scoreboard beginning to materialize. I think even the most steadfast RR supporters agree that our program is not on the way up. If this was the first pothole in the RR experience, the season could be overlooked in deference to the extreme injury issues. Problem is, it is not.

His 8 year BCS conference coaching tenure will have included:
- A BCS conference record of between 23-45 (0.338) and 25-43 (0.368).
- Assuming yet ANOTHER loss to AssU this season, his record against rivals will be 3-11 (0.214)... At UM, I am including ND, MSU, and tOSU

That is a big enough sample size to draw some conclusions... and it is awfully hard to defend. And yet many hear clamor "we could not possibly do any worse". Even Mike Stoops had a 0.415 winning percentage in BCS conference play... and the 2 before Mackovic did considerably better than that.

One final note: If RR was the AD overseeing the results he has delivered from a coach beneath him, who really believes he would put is neck on the line and stand by his man? He has been very willing to make the tough call when he needed to save his own hide. Byrne's job is not in jeopardy, but the status of his legacy (and promotability) is absolutely under serious threat by the abysmal results our FB program is delivering.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote:
carcassdragger wrote: It's a rough patch guys, but we'll win a couple more this season.
What's your best guess on which two CD? I had penciled in Wazzu and ntOSU, but they both had impressive victories.

Not sure brother, but we've seen this guy work miracles several times now.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Harvey Specter wrote: - Assuming yet ANOTHER loss to AssU this season, his record against rivals will be 3-11 (0.214)... At UM, I am including ND, MSU, and tOSU
Great stuff Harvey. Just wanted to add that although they are not rivals, RichRod is 1 fer LA. If you can't beat UCLA (ever) and USC only once, besides the 1 ASU win, there is very little chance you will ever win the PAC south again.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Short of misconduct (aka a firing for cause) there's no way Byrne fires RR this year. If things go south next year, then that's on the table, but it ain't happening this year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep but it should be. It's only business after all. Program is in shambles. No depth, no development. Sub .500 finishes in conference and can't beat your rival. 5th season and these are ALL your guys
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Well, that's the thing. It's business? Well, there's a business aspect to buying him out, paying him what he's due from the retention plan (which he gets his vested amount if fired without cause) and then the money that it will take to hire a new coach. Probably staff buyouts as well and a new coach would very likely demand a higher pool for assistant coaches. Oh, you want an indoor practice facility and upgrades to the stadium? Better think twice about tying up seven or eight figures in a coaching buyout then. So yes, it is just business.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh the we can't afford it argument. Of course we can. It's called a negotiated settlement and it takes place all the time. As I said, it won't happen this year but might next year. Call the Stevens and BOR and I bet you could use some of that retention money on the buy out.

Hopefully he turns it around as he made this mess and tried to get out of dodge before the performance hit the field. Don't see much hope in anything better than 4-8 and that might be optimistic
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azpenguin wrote:Well, that's the thing. It's business? Well, there's a business aspect to buying him out, paying him what he's due from the retention plan (which he gets his vested amount if fired without cause) and then the money that it will take to hire a new coach. Probably staff buyouts as well and a new coach would very likely demand a higher pool for assistant coaches. Oh, you want an indoor practice facility and upgrades to the stadium? Better think twice about tying up seven or eight figures in a coaching buyout then. So yes, it is just business.
So by this line of thinking, under no circumstances should Rich Rod be let go short of grievous misconduct which allows us to terminate him with cause. In my next life I want a gig like that.

A cumulative conference record like he will have had after 5 seasons and we're stuck with him? In that world Greg Byrne (who I love, BTW) better send very nice Christmas gifts to the Miller household, and somewhat less extravagant ones to Jay Johnson and family.

Because that ridiculous lucrative extension - to a coach who would have surrendered his golden handcuffs if another school would have been dumb enough to give him a raise - would be a career limiting decision in any other circumstances.

Yes I am playing Monday morning quarterback... And no one knows if a decision to purchase a stock was a good one until it is sold. People are paid enormous amounts of money when they are expected to make prospective decisions which turn out well.

When they don't... Well we all know how that story ends for everyone I know.

We appear to be in a position where we could end up paying a guy in the top 25% of the conference to finish winless in 9 tries. From a 'business' standpoint - how does that sit with you? It would be a failure of epic proportions...
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

That's college football coaching contracts for you. It's always a roll of the dice. And yes, you are playing Monday morning quarterback, because you have to put yourself in the position of the AD here. How are you going to attract the coach you want and yet hold all the leverage you want on the contract? Even if they hired some up and comer, they'd have to take steps to lock him up if he showed any sort of forward momentum, because other schools would be coming in to try to hire him. There's several first year coaches that are being talked about as candidates for upcoming job openings and we have another coaching carousel coming up this year, with the chance to be crazier than last season's. That's the reality of coaching contracts and Arizona is not in any different position than most other schools. There's also a lot of bitterness over the South Carolina interview on the board, which I don't get, but then rationality and college football fandom often do not go hand in hand.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

The Business angle:
So far UA hasn't extended RR's contract the 1 year like they have been doing since he's been here. Still set to expire in 2020. Normally they have been doing earlier in the year. around May or June

It's not just RR's contract either. UA has a two year contract they would have to deal with to compensate Both Yates and Magee before March 2018.

RR has already received 25% of his retention fund money (March this year). Next 25% pays out March 2018. march 2018 also the date RR becomes 100% vested in retention fund. UA would have to pay RR the remaining 50% if they terminated RR without cause after March 2018.

Fans may be just starting to have Hotseat talk. Will get louder IF RR loses to ASU, but I don't see that Hot seat talk within the UA administration for awhile.

Why kinda disappointing that Byrne went to bat for RR and changed the Retention fund and early payouts for RR in mid 2015. RR repaid him by interviewing for the South Carolina job after Byrne did that.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Well that only confirms to me then that if RR doesn't have a much better season in 2017 he's out the door before all that money kicks in in 2018.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

People are nuts. Reminds me when all the geniuses ran Tomey out of town, and then cried woe is me after the disaster that ensued.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

This is what you get for hiring your drinking buddy who refuses to recruit while getting paid 400+K a year. The defense is not THAT terrible, you can just see there is no depth. Arizona stays in a game for a half and then poops the bed in the 2nd half due to depth. I have been highly impressed with Yates, that may be the biggest recruit RR ever had. This year is a lost season, every team has one...look at Michigan State this year. Its about how he rebounds this year and what happens, i think there is about to be a massive upheaval in the South. Mora seems disinterested, Helton/USC is a disaster, CU has a senior laden team, Utah is Utah and ASU is backing into a 10 win season with a defense that would not win a JV game. Arizona's injury issues are no longer an anomaly and i hope RR looks into strength and conditioning issues and tries to figure it out. If RR goes, id keep Yates. I think that guys has the energy and connections to become a very good coach. He understands the importance of Southern California.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

whatisee wrote:People are nuts. Reminds me when all the geniuses ran Tomey out of town, and then cried woe is me after the disaster that ensued.

I think Tomey even realized it was time for him to go. Dick had fallen into the "recruiting is tiring" mode, and fans were really getting tired of pooch punts or QB draws on 3rd and long.

However, Dick did care about defense and special teams, unlike RichRod.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Merkin wrote:
whatisee wrote:People are nuts. Reminds me when all the geniuses ran Tomey out of town, and then cried woe is me after the disaster that ensued.

I think Tomey even realized it was time for him to go. Dick had fallen into the "recruiting is tiring" mode, and fans were really getting tired of pooch punts or QB draws on 3rd and long.

However, Dick did care about defense and special teams, unlike RichRod.
I think changing the D staff shows he does care, and it seems to be paying off. Special teams is another story.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

uacat540 wrote:This is what you get for hiring your drinking buddy who refuses to recruit while getting paid 400+K a year. The defense is not THAT terrible, you can just see there is no depth. Arizona stays in a game for a half and then poops the bed in the 2nd half due to depth. I have been highly impressed with Yates, that may be the biggest recruit RR ever had. This year is a lost season, every team has one...look at Michigan State this year. Its about how he rebounds this year and what happens, i think there is about to be a massive upheaval in the South. Mora seems disinterested, Helton/USC is a disaster, CU has a senior laden team, Utah is Utah and ASU is backing into a 10 win season with a defense that would not win a JV game. Arizona's injury issues are no longer an anomaly and i hope RR looks into strength and conditioning issues and tries to figure it out. If RR goes, id keep Yates. I think that guys has the energy and connections to become a very good coach. He understands the importance of Southern California.

I like this post. I guess it just upsets me that RR let it get to this in year 5. That is when we should be at our best and this year the south as you said is a mess and we could have won it with even decent recruiting and development (see ASSU).

I too love the job Yates has done. They are attacking and playing their hearts out. Just to little talent. Can't stand it when RR says the same thing he has been saying since year 1, we have to get bigger and this will be addressed in recruiting. You have had 5 years to address this, and you raved about your S&C program. Well it sucks.

Going to really blow if ASSU wins the south (or CU) and gets into the rose bowl because UDub made it into the playoffs and the loser is the default team. That could have been us
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I still believe the whole lose big lose close, win close, win big timeline was the correspond with when RR was looking to parlay into a higher profile job.

He became resigned to his fate and jettisoned staff per byrnes request after kicking the tires over at South Carolina.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:I still believe the whole lose big lose close, win close, win big timeline was the correspond with when RR was looking to parlay into a higher profile job.

He became resigned to his fate and jettisoned staff per byrnes request after kicking the tires over at South Carolina.
And not being offered any more than he is making here...