Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Coach Rod

Post by CalStateTempe »

Oh man great to see you BTD.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Oh man great to see you BTD.
Agreed.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

...and lost in all that back and forth was an excellent first post. Welcome aboard, Drew. Sorry your first post got buried in a big bitch session. Agree with everything you say.
Drew77777 wrote:Long time follower of all of the various Arizona forums and recruiting sites...figured I would chime in. I really liked Rich Rod when he was hired and I applaud him for making the tough call to fire his Defensive staff at the end of last year. Just have a few issues with many things that have transpired in his tenure at Arizona.

- One - The atrocious recruiting on the Defensive line. I mean here we are in year number five and we started the year with two walk-ons on the D-Line in Belknap and Zellers. Now we are starting Belknap who has been a pleasant surprise this year...and two of Stoops ex-recruits in Fanene and Fuimaono. So in five years he has not been able to bring in one player that is starter caliber for the line, I don't care who was recruiting that falls on Rich Rod's shoulders. I know they have missed on a few guys and had medical hardships...this is football it happens all the time, you have to over recruit to deal with these issues.

- Two - The fact we have been told it is so difficult to land decent D-lineman at this school...the only reason it is tough is because of the 3-3-5. Come on Stoops had three Defensive ends that were all NFL level on the same team...Brooks Reed, D'Aundre Reed and Ricky Elmore. That was without the NEZ/new field turf and new practice fields. One would think with all of these bells and whistles that he would be recruiting at all new levels....I know half his staff did not recruit before...wait, who is at fault for that?

Now I am not saying that Rich Rod should be fired, just that he should be held accountable for the things that he has failed at in his time here. If we do lose out though...I am not sure if he should be kept. I will continue to go to every game and yell until my voice is gone like I have for almost 30 years...but really wish things were not trending in the current direction and hope for some bright spots to end the year.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

So, yeah. Um, what has RR recruited these past 4 years?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Great to see you all as well. Still grinding on treatment, and all that amazing stuff. Unfortunately, these guys have quit.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

2-10, attendance drops, donors get pissed, does RR survive?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Merkin wrote:
And we're losing this game much worse than that game in 2011
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

uacat540 wrote:2-10, attendance drops, donors get pissed, does RR survive?
Maybe not. I was on his side for a long time, but I'm starting to waver. Today is bad.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Maybe not. I was on his side for a long time, but I'm starting to waver. Today is bad.
I was originally excited and thought Arizona was lucky to get him when Byrne hired him. No way Byrne is accepting this and thinking next year is going to be better. Getting the band back together was a bad idea apparently. What makes me want a change is the offense, I am tired of hearing how RR is an offensive guy, Briles, Peterson, even leach have passed him on the offensive side of the ball.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I would be shocked if RR isn't here to start next season. With that said, I have been a big supporter of RR and thought he would do great. RR thought so also and looked for a decent job out of here, and if it wasn't for SC AD screwing up, RR would be gone. I was awfully wrong, I can't say that Arizona is better now then when RR took over and it's likely much more worse. I'm would have no complaints if RR was let go.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

I kind of have a crazy idea, go hire lane kiffen. I think it's his life goal to destroy USC.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

uacat540 wrote:I kind of have a crazy idea, go hire lane kiffen. I think it's his life goal to destroy USC.
At this point, why the hell not.

Lots of hot tail in TUC for him to pass the time with.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

He can crush tail and recruit, that's what Arizona needs.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Hell, if we are going crazy mode why not just land Tom Herman and let that be the end of it?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If Texas panics and fires Strong, I'd be ok buying low there.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

3-11 in the last 14 conference games and 1-9 vs SoCal. I think it's time to part ways with RR.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:If Texas panics and fires Strong, I'd be ok buying low there.
I dunno man. I see your point and like where you're going with it, but I think we should go the top coach of a mid major and hungry for a shot approach.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Remember how firing Stoops mid-season was supposedly such a great move because it gave us more time to look and recruit?

Let's wait until after the ASU game this time. No wriggle room for RR--full accountability for five seasons.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

uacat540 wrote:3-11 in the last 14 conference games and 1-9 vs SoCal. I think it's time to part ways with RR.
Yup, Fire RR. It just business. Let him kick all the tires he wants.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

uacat540 wrote:3-11 in the last 14 conference games and 1-9 vs SoCal. I think it's time to part ways with RR.

1-3 v. ASU too which is totally unacceptable.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:If Texas panics and fires Strong, I'd be ok buying low there.
I dunno man. I see your point and like where you're going with it, but I think we should go the top coach of a mid major and hungry for a shot approach.
I think Texas likely fires Strong. He's in a terrible situation where he took over a dumpster fire with an unrealistic fan base. He's a solid person by all accounts. Someone like Kiffin, well, I'd prefer someone I didn't have to feel a little dirty about.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Barring a turnaround, 3-11 doesn't get it done.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Merkin convincing me that RR needs to be let go after the ASU game.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

OSUCat wrote:Merkin convincing me that RR needs to be let go after the ASU game.
No UA fan should put up with 1-4 v. ASU if the Cats get beat as expected.

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Anyone know how much Arizona would have to pay to let RR go?

Wasn't Mike Stoops buyout something like $1.4 million?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I think RichRod's off-season flirtation with South Carolina may turn out to be his final late night paper-shredding moment.

Cheat on me once, shame on you. Cheat on me again, shame on me.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

OSUCat wrote:So, yeah. Um, what has RR recruited these past 4 years?
A bunch of prospects that didn't pan the hell out. Most of his recruits from his past 4 class left the program.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Are you not entertained?

Wow! Um, no.

Go Cats!!
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

uacat540 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I was originally excited and thought Arizona was lucky to get him when Byrne hired him. No way Byrne is accepting this and thinking next year is going to be better. Getting the band back together was a bad idea apparently. What makes me want a change is the offense, I am tired of hearing how RR is an offensive guy, Briles, Peterson, even leach have passed him on the offensive side of the ball.
This is part of RR's demise. If the offensive genius doesn't deliver an exciting, high scoring O, then bossman gotta go.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:
OSUCat wrote:Merkin convincing me that RR needs to be let go after the ASU game.
No UA fan should put up with 1-4 v. ASU if the Cats get beat as expected.

Merkin how many HC other than RR had a worst record against their rival in Five years and getting fired.
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

catgrad97 wrote:Remember how firing Stoops mid-season was supposedly such a great move because it gave us more time to look and recruit?

Let's wait until after the ASU game this time. No wriggle room for RR--full accountability for five seasons.
Absolutely.

If I were consulting RR, would advise him to direct all his resources toward winning the Territorial Cup. Because...
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

TyrantCat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Remember how firing Stoops mid-season was supposedly such a great move because it gave us more time to look and recruit?

Absolutely.

If I were consulting RR, would advise him to direct all his resources toward winning the Territorial Cup. Because...
Then that not going too happen if your put that much pressure for him to keep his job by saying You need to win that game. That not going to give motivation, that going to give him a reason why didn't win that one important game. The season is already a lost. ASU game is not going to make no different if your ok what saw today and to see that exact same team getting their asses handle to by ASU.

How many HC in year 5 have had a 1-3 against their rival and got fired.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

OSUCat wrote:Anyone know how much Arizona would have to pay to let RR go?

Wasn't Mike Stoops buyout something like $1.4 million?
I would bet that RRs buyout isn't small, since he's less than 2 years removed from a 10 win season.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Promote Yates and let him learn on the job. We keep going with established coaches. Not working out so well!

Go Cats!!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
I think Texas likely fires Strong. He's in a terrible situation where he took over a dumpster fire with an unrealistic fan base. He's a solid person by all accounts. Someone like Kiffin, well, I'd prefer someone I didn't have to feel a little dirty about.
I don't mind feeling dirty as long as I'm winning (for reference, see Louisville and Bobby Petrino). Problem is, I don't necessarily see any reason why Lane would win here so we might (most likely) be left with just the dirtiness. And that's no bueno.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

RR will not get fired before the start of next season. I expect Byrne will spend little more time defending RR this season. Byrne has enough clout and community standing that he can. Carries big stick that little outside pressure will (could) change that.

Next year different situation. Have multiple contracts to renew before start of 2018 season. What Byrne decides where he wants to do long-term and RR retention fund becoming 100% vested. If RR has anouther really bad 2017, puts lots of pressure on Byrne to make a decision finally to stay with RR and Coordinators for 2018. Decision that would be on him to weather out.

RR at AZ until then. Unless RR wants out. Just can't think of where he could go laterally or upward. RR is a leveraged coach right now who has some pretty solid protection
jimson

Post by jimson »

Someone said something to this effect and now I'm wondering if RR didn't really desperately want the Carolina job so he could escape the 2-10 season he knew was coming and Carolina actually didn't want him and never offered at all.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I asked about that possibility in the in-game thread. I was surprised he didn't just quit over the Casteel issue and go back to a studio job if that was the case, though.

Apparently he felt he could ride this campaign out. No doubt he's having second thoughts.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I know the stench is super bad, but I'd hate to miss out on Briles and his son pulling their heads out of their asses.

I'm sure Rich Rod will be here next year, but those kids have quit and I'm not sure you ever turn that around.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

You guys are being totally unfair.

Rich Rod fired his pals to give himself 3 more guaranteed years of fat paydays. That deserves more loyalty than posters in this thread are demonstrating. And he is very even tempered and understanding with his players when they have a Mia-step on the field; let's show that same level of compassion & patience.

He went and talked to So Car last year because he has not received the fan support he deserves and has earned. And he decided to come home after flirting at the bar... she was good to go, but he was not going to cheat unless a threesome was involved (who wouldn't?) - and he came home high & dry. That means something.

As for recruiting, you cannot expect a change in trajectory right away. We have some great young recruiters, and we need until at least 2019 to judge their performance. And if there are injuries, 2021.

Some of you guys just don't get it... I can promise you that if he leaves, the next guy will not do those super cool videos like the Gladiator themed on this year. That does wonders for program exposure and recruiting, and shows what a stud RR is. He knows he could have made it huge on the big screen and it allows him to scratch his itch while doing cool promo stuff for our University. He is all about Tucson and UA, and he Said so the day he arrived here. HE WANTS TO RETIRE IN TUCSON... HE TOLD US SO! (Unlike Sean Miller, by the way, who still does not have a Final 4).

It does seem weird that they did not allow likes and dislikes OR comments to be posted on that video on YouTube... it has a LOT of views. They probably just though it would be too self-serving to advertise the overwhelmingly positive response.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol:

We need a thumbs up emoji for the board.
az91

Post by az91 »

Per Hansen's article, Rich Rod's buyout is about 7.1 million. There is no way the administration is going to be able to pay that amount.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Is this Jessie?

Clever!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

az91 wrote:Per Hansen's article, Rich Rod's buyout is about 7.1 million. There is no way the administration is going to be able to pay that amount.
Sweet. RR is a (contract) genius.

We're screwed for a few more seasons. Unless RR likes a another model he want to drive off with.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Since ABOR has to approve contracts, do they need to approve firings? DeConcini won't be happy having the UA AD shell out that kind of money.

It was your call coach. Who has a 17 year old try and make a pass on 4th and 1?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I least Stoops tantrums where generally directed to the refs.

RR goes ape on his players carrying out his (stubborn) game planning.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:
az91 wrote:Per Hansen's article, Rich Rod's buyout is about 7.1 million. There is no way the administration is going to be able to pay that amount.
Sweet. RR is a (contract) genius.

We're screwed for a few more seasons. Unless RR likes a another model he want to drive off with.
If that buyout is in addition to his retention bonus, then Byrne made a huge blunder. IIRC, Rich Rod's payoff to the UA was slashed to a paltry sum with the last contract extension. I'd love to hear his though process behind that dual maneuver...

If that sum includes his retention bonus, different story. The shares making up that sum were donated... and I matins worth far less now than they were a few years ago pre oil-plunge.

Only in big time sports can a termination after going 0-9, 2-10 in conference/overall records be considered NOT for cause. Unreal.

By that reasoning, if the coach benches a player for dogshit play, he would be doing so without cause.