Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Coach Rod

Post by PHXCATS »

He isn't going anywhere. One good year isnt enough to give him a pass in the eyes of AD's for last year and the bad press from the prior off season.

If he wins 9 plus next year, then I would be worried about him bolting.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Think there's more reasons this time for Rich Rod to wait at least another year before entertain leaving.

He has a FBS top-5 college football player that is a sophomore.
Legit Heisman Candidate to boot
Very young team that should get much better
Probably a preseason ranked team next year
Probably a raise
On top of his salary, another $1 million check coming this March
Same March where he becomes fully vested in another minimum $2 million dollar that pays out same year Rhett enters final year of eligibility.
Same stuff that made him the 5th highest paid coach this year

Closer to home is nice, but so is getting $3 million more
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:He isn't going anywhere. One good year isnt enough to give him a pass in the eyes of AD's for last year and the bad press from the prior off season.

One thing I will never do is worry about RR bolting. I fully expect it, its in his DNA and one of the reasons people didn't show up. Just win RR, we pay you well. Minute he doesn't and I am fine with putting him right back on the cooker
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

He ain't bolting until after KT and/or RhettRod leaves. It may even be longer if we can find KT 2.0.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UALoco wrote:He ain't bolting until after KT and/or RhettRod leaves. It may even be longer if we can find KT 2.0.
The fact his son plays for us is a bigger deal than we think. He isn't going anywhere this year.

If you had the opportunity in the future however, who wouldn't want to leave the Pac12. It sucks.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yup if I was a high profile coach there's far too many negatives about our conference and shit tv deal and shit commissioner to want to stay long term.
Sid

Post by Sid »

UALoco wrote:He ain't bolting until after KT and/or RhettRod leaves. It may even be longer if we can find KT 2.0.
This. The Drive series on the Pac12 network clearly demonstrated how he cherishes his time with Rhett and I reccomend watching it if you missed it, good shit!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sid wrote:
This. The Drive series on the Pac12 network clearly demonstrated how he cherishes his time with Rhett and I reccomend watching it if you missed it, good shit!
Bingo! I forgot about that. Very good points.

RR wont leave on his own until 2020
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Who knows, Rhett may leave when RichRod does. Is RhettRod willing to be a clipboard holder his entire UA career?

Have not read once where Rhett is a Power 5 caliber QB. He may want to be a big fish in a small pond someplace. Go to a FCS school like NAU and not even have to have a redshirt year. Although NAU has had some pretty good QBs. If he could run the triple option, Cal Poly could use him.

Just throwing that out there, never seen him play where he could actually show his skills.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:He isn't going anywhere. One good year isnt enough to give him a pass in the eyes of AD's for last year and the bad press from the prior off season.

One thing I will never do is worry about RR bolting. I fully expect it, its in his DNA and one of the reasons people didn't show up. Just win RR, we pay you well. Minute he doesn't and I am fine with putting him right back on the cooker
This.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

azcat49 wrote:

One thing I will never do is worry about RR bolting. I fully expect it, its in his DNA and one of the reasons people didn't show up. Just win RR, we pay you well. Minute he doesn't and I am fine with putting him right back on the cooker[/quote

I'm not sure why you single out RR. Its in almost every coaches DNA. Yea sometimes a coach stays until you have to force them out with dynamite like Frank Kush or Dick Tomey but most of the successful coaches do bolt to somewhere else sooner or later. I can make a list but why bother. I'm sure you can make your own list.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

One thing I will never do is worry about RR bolting. I fully expect it, its in his DNA and one of the reasons people didn't show up. Just win RR, we pay you well. Minute he doesn't and I am fine with putting him right back on the cooker[/quote

I'm not sure why you single out RR. Its in almost every coaches DNA. Yea sometimes a coach stays until you have to force them out with dynamite like Frank Kush or Dick Tomey but most of the successful coaches do bolt to somewhere else sooner or later. I can make a list but why bother. I'm sure you can make your own list.
I am not calling out 49 here specifically but you are 100% correct grumpy. Almost every coach jumps to better opportunities when available. Unless you are at USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, Bama, LSU etc you are probably always looking at what could be better for you. So what if RR flirted with South Carolina, it is the SEC and an upgrade over U of A. And here is where I am not calling 49 or anyone specifically out but why get upset with RR flirting with another job when after just two years Miller wanted to leave for another job and was very very close to taking it at Maryland if it wasnt for the burger that saved Arizona Basketball and Maryland is not equal or a step up from Arizona. IF you want to hate RR for it, better call out Miller too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I think Miller bolting for Maryland had more to do with his frustration with the PAC-12 office, and their obvious targeting of him.

But the UA is a terminal destination for a basketball coach, for a football coach it is not.

Larry Smith is a good example of it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:I think Miller bolting for Maryland had more to do with his frustration with the PAC-12 office, and their obvious targeting of him.

But the UA is a terminal destination for a basketball coach, for a football coach it is not.

Larry Smith is a good example of it.
Merkin, I realize it seems I may have been attacking you lately, not trying to do that, so my bad on that. But my questions is, wasnt all the frustration with the conference after the time Miller almost went to Maryland. If I am wrong please tell me but I believe it was after the Williams year when the Cats beat Duke in the Sweet 16 and lost to UCONN. All the issues I can think of with U of A and the PAC-12 and specifically with basketball all happen after that.

And your second point is my exact point, U of A is a basketball school like Texas and Ohio State are football schools. Only 5 schools definitively better than Arizona in basketball. SO if you are about to leave one of those for a lesser job that should be far more frustrating and concerning/
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

You are right Machina, the Maryland job was open in 2011, and the PAC-12 bounty was 2013.

Anything before 2017 runs all together for me. :D
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Bah, the lack of defense recruiting has really been bad. One group of good freshman will never replace the years of bad recruiting. It’s still a leading reason why I wouldn’t mind RR gone, because it will take years to fix the depth in defense. And that means successful recruiting multiple years, not here and there.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

I hate some of ASUHATER's pessimistic posts too, but this defeatist sentiment that we're "always going to be a 6-7 win team" is dumb as hell too.

No reason we should be 57th in the nation in recruiting. With new facilities, a great campus, solid academics, and an exciting offense, we SHOULD be able to be at least middle of the pack in the PAC 12. Instead, we get out-recruited by WSU.

We have OrSt. levels of talent, plus several obvious holes, and we can't seem to recruit to fill them. It is not worth keeping a coach if he can't recruit the right talent to play in his system.

Khalil Tate saved RR's bacon, and he's going to be QB under any coach. So if we move on from RR and inject some energy into the program with a HC hire that is an expert recruiter, I wouldn't be mad.

It could be worth it to bolster these Freshmen with some better talent over the next 2-3 years...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

I am not calling out 49 here specifically but you are 100% correct grumpy. Almost every coach jumps to better opportunities when available. Unless you are at USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, Bama, LSU etc you are probably always looking at what could be better for you. So what if RR flirted with South Carolina, it is the SEC and an upgrade over U of A. And here is where I am not calling 49 or anyone specifically out but why get upset with RR flirting with another job when after just two years Miller wanted to leave for another job and was very very close to taking it at Maryland if it wasnt for the burger that saved Arizona Basketball and Maryland is not equal or a step up from Arizona. IF you want to hate RR for it, better call out Miller too.
You have ZERO aptitude for critical reasoning, fail to grasp the importance of nuance, selectively remember only facts that suit your agenda (while making up others), and are exclusively a linear thinker. I swear to God you must be a fucking beancounter.

RichRod is not going anywhere because he is not sniffing a job at a school that will pay him more than he is making here, and he is all about the Benjamins. Fine. If he wasn’t so disengenouos, it would be easier to accept that he is so completely self- serving.

It was clear as could be when he proclaimed that he wanted to retire here on the day he was hired (his first day EVER in Tucson). Those of us who called him on it were called negative by the 14-year old girl minions who believe everything they hear. His “OKG” bullshit is an excuse for marginal recruiting. The “if you keep taking visits, then you’re interested not committed” nonsense applies to players but not to him? Bullshit.

And neither South Carolina nor Va Tech are big steps up. If they had (in one case) offered him the job, or (in the other) offered him a raise, he would be GONE.

Do most people chase a buck? Yep, and that is fine. But if that is ALL you are about, you are a piece of shit in my book. There is something called “paying your debts”... and he owed one to this school and Greg Byrne when he pursued opportunities to leave for marginal jobs 3-4 years in. We (and our AD) gave him a shot when he was a toxic asset whose best alternative opportunity was TULANE. Fuck him.

Miller was the HOTTEST young name (along with Shaka & Brad Stevens) when we fortunately nabbed him. He had a LOT of options... and for those who remember, we were warned the DAY HE WAS HIRED (by the Rivals guy covering Xavier... Brian Snow I think?) that we should be VERY concerned IF specifically the Maryland job EVER opened, because it was a program Miller had LONG coveted and viewed as a sleeping giant.

It was the ONLY interview he EVER took and he TURNED DOWN the job. And if you chose to remember, his issue with UA AD at the time had NOTHING to do with money, and had EVERYTHING to do with commitments made by Livengood at the time of his hire (charter jets for recruiting, etc) that had never been fulfilled. And when he came back, he did not ask for a raise... he asked for the unfulfilled commitments to be addressed and raises FOR HIS ASSISTANTS. Byrne was too busy congratulating himself for his FB coach hire (who NO ONE ELSE wanted) and ignored fulfilling obligations to his franchise player.

If he HAD left, I seriously doubt he would have shredded all his recruiting files on the way out. RR did that TO HIS ALMA MATER. And tried to weasel out of his contractually dictated buyout. Very classy.

And little girls have whined that Miller has never said he would not leave. You know who else never did? Lute. People with integrity NEVER make commitments they are not certain they can fulfill; no one can see into the future. Snake oil salesmen tell you what you want to hear. And a lot of idiots fall for it.

But what has Miller done? Donated $250K of his own money for weightlifting equipment, busted his ass, maintained an exceptional coaching record, and accepted ONE interview during gis ENTIRE time here (for his personal DREAM job) and turned it down.

Don’t EVER bring up this nonsensical shit again. Sean Miller and Rich Rodriguez have NOTHING in common when it comes to personal integrity, loyalty, and understanding the importance of fulfilling conmitments. Oh ... and one other thing - demonstratinf consistent excellence in his job.

Go argue with ASU fans. At least over there it is a fair fight.

RR has done enough to save his job and cash in on a big fat payday in January. This season has been a lot of fun and a pleasant surprise... and I am pleased. Bit let’s be real.. we had a very favorable schedule and have beaten exactly ONE bowl eligible team; 4 of our 5 wins were grabbed vs teams in the bottom half of their division, and the 2 teams we avoided playing will finish in the upper half of the North Division.

Lose to ASU, and the excitement of mid-season will vanish as we enter next year. Regardless of how we do in whatever shitshow bowl we go to.

Beat ASU and my perspective on this season will be monumentally different. Let’s get it done next Saturday!
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

i love the paradox here btw bball and football with many of the RR haters. on the one hand they're ready to fire RR after s bad year or two even while D is slowly improving yet on the other hand they get out the pompoms for Miller who for 8 years tanks in the NCAAs every time with all the top 5 classes in the world , hasn't beaten a 3 seed or higher since 2011 and oh btw has goddamn Johnny Utah FBI agent on the programs ass :shock:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

RiseAndFire wrote:i love the paradox here btw bball and football with many of the RR haters. on the one hand they're ready to fire RR after s bad year or two even while D is slowly improving yet on the other hand they get out the pompoms for Miller who for 8 years tanks in the NCAAs every time with all the top 5 classes in the world , hasn't beaten a 3 seed or higher since 2011 and oh btw has goddamn Johnny Utah FBI agent on the programs ass :shock:
The fact that you worship RR and hate Miller just proves how much of a troll you really are. The defense is improving under RR. Really? Giving up 46 points a game in conference road games sure is improvement...
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

QFT HS. As always,kudos
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

HS you realize Miller with Maryland Was April 2011 and Stoopd wasn't fired until October 2011 so a lot of your points are invalid especially about Bryne. But fair points were made as well.

Fact is Miller isn't as good as you or most think and RE isn't as bad as many think. RR was down but now on the rise despite the outcome last night. Enjoy the rise up to potential South division favorites next year.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

PHXCATS wrote:HS you realize Miller with Maryland Was April 2011 and Stoopd wasn't fired until October 2011 so a lot of your points are invalid especially about Bryne. But fair points were made as well.

Fact is Miller isn't as good as you or most think and RE isn't as bad as many think. RR was down but now on the rise despite the outcome last night. Enjoy the rise up to potential South division favorites next year.
I think we as Arizona fans all too often compare Rich Rod with Sean Miller. I love Sean Miller as a coach and his ability to recruit has put Arizona in contention for the Final Four or NC very often. Even though the basketball program went through a short decline after Lute left Arizona basketball had already been branded. Miller took over a branded program which needed some remodeling but not rebuilding. Rich Rod didn't inherit the same thing in taking over the football program. Arizona has been historically average in football no matter who the coach was. We've had some great years combined with some pretty awful ones. Facilities alone make football recruiting a tough task. Plus convincing 5 star recruits from California to play for Arizona when they can stay home and play for historically much better programs is nearly impossible. I'm not saying accepting mediocrity is what anyone should want to settle for but when it comes to Arizona football that's just the way it is whether we want to accept it or not. There's nothing wrong with having high expectations but managing expectations based on the situation is also something to consider.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:HS you realize Miller with Maryland Was April 2011 and Stoopd wasn't fired until October 2011 so a lot of your points are invalid especially about Bryne. But fair points were made as well.

Good catch and my bad on timing... Byrne was remiss in not fulfilling Livengood's commitments, but it obviously had nothing to do with RR. Memory fail on my part.

It makes one nuanced editorial comment in my original post invalid.i stand by the rest of it... and if you doubt my recollection of Miller's views in Maryland when he came here - go ask Brian Snow.

I have my own impressions based on observation of conduct, history, and actions. Those views are validated by people inside the AD (not higher-ups, mind you) with a much closer perspective than either you or I have.

Do I think RR is evil? Hell no... I have known scores just like him throughout my career. He is an ambitious and self-serving climber with a very healthy ego who is 100% committed to Team RR and not much else. Anyone around him who is not aligned with his personal agenda is very expendable... and any failures of his regime are never his fault.

Those are extremely valuable attributes to one who wishes to advance their career... look at our 2 presidential nominees in the last election, FFS. It does not mean I have to like or respect him on a personal level.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

That last drive of the 1st half against ASU is a prime example of my issues with RR. He had no idea what he wanted to do. I have a feeling both RR and Miller discuss the best plays to end a half/game.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Fuck you RR with the worst end to a half ever.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah fire him, between how he ended the end of the 1st half and how he handled Tate that's it. I don't care if Tate pulls a rabbit out of his ass and pulls this off. If I was Heeke I'd go down to the sideline and rip the god damn headset off RR's head and give it to Magee. Unreal levels of ineptitude and fuckery here.
3rdand25

Post by 3rdand25 »

Yeah rivalry games are lost with the little details like paying attention to special teams, and not turning the ball over. Not nearly as flashy as calling plays on your pet offense, but important none the less.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

RR is not a major conference coach. Fire him!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RichRod has $8,912,500 reasons why losing and getting fired would be to his advantage.

The end of half, the pulling of Tate when he was 10/11 passing makes no sense at all.
3rdand25

Post by 3rdand25 »

Wow, he has pulled tate and put Dawkinns in, and there's nothing wrong with Tate (reported on TV)?

It is clear that Dawkins checked out a couple months ago when he lost his job. He looks slow, heavy, confused, and looks like he doesn't want to be there.

Is this RR's masterstroke, before the big comeback?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

3rdand25 wrote:Wow, he has pulled tate and put Dawkinns in, and there's nothing wrong with Tate (reported on TV)?

It is clear that Dawkins checked out a couple months ago when he lost his job. He looks slow, heavy, confused, and looks like he doesn't want to be there.

Is this RR's masterstroke, before the big comeback?
No
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Heeke's hands are tied now after this game. Our attendance was putrid this year, but the fans who know and love football were the ones who showed up. After this game those fans have to be done with Rich Rod and would be disgusted with him at the helm another year. We'd be lucky to average 35K in the stands next year with RR as the head coach.
3rdand25

Post by 3rdand25 »

Wow they executed the old dropped snap left footed shank punt to absolute perfection! 1st down Arizona!
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Fuck you RR with the worst end to a half ever.
100%. 1:00, 2 timeouts and 55 yards to go. And you play for a Hail Mary and your QB didn’t have one incomplete pass on the day. Nothing good could come from that and you get your QB hurt on a damn Hail Mary play. You’re done
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Frybry02 wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Fuck you RR with the worst end to a half ever.
100%. 1:00, 2 timeouts and 55 yards to go. And you play for a Hail Mary and your QB didn’t have one incomplete pass on the day. Nothing good could come from that and you get your QB hurt on a damn Hail Mary play. You’re done
Your also forgetting a kicker who can hit a 55 yard kick. So, Arizona only needed 10-15 yards......
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:Heeke's hands are tied now after this game. Our attendance was putrid this year, but the fans who know and love football were the ones who showed up. After this game those fans have to be done with Rich Rod and would be disgusted with him at the helm another year. We'd be lucky to average 35K in the stands next year with RR as the head coach.
And Rich certainly knows that.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

FIRE RR!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fucking RR.

I have the game on DVR and will watch later but from the in game thread sounds like a pretty dismal 2nd half.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fucking RR.

I have the game on DVR and will watch later but from the in game thread sounds like a pretty dismal 2nd half.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

RR should have been fired at the half considering he essential lost the game in the final 2 minutes of the first half. And to think it took him four games this season to realize that Tate might be better than Dawkins? This team would have been winless in the Pac-12 with Dawkins which is why when the 2nd half came on and there was Dawkins, I knew the game was over at that point.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Yeah, find a way to replace him. Utterly embarrassing coaching.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

CalStateTempe wrote:Fucking RR.

All you have to watch is the first play from scrimmage in the 2nd half (i.e. who was playing QB) and you knew the game was over at that point. And yes, Fucking RR lost the game, Depressing that he will be here next year.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

That was it for me. I’m in. Fire him. #LaneTrain
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I had edged off the fire him train and was willing to give him next season...just cut bait and let him go. We need to start over asap
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I think we should try the CEO coaching philosophy
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That's how you snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Heeke's hands are tied now after this game. Our attendance was putrid this year, but the fans who know and love football were the ones who showed up. After this game those fans have to be done with Rich Rod and would be disgusted with him at the helm another year. We'd be lucky to average 35K in the stands next year with RR as the head coach.
And Rich certainly knows that.
Yep.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatMG wrote:RR should have been fired at the half considering he essential lost the game in the final 2 minutes of the first half.
And got Tate injured in the process. What a cluster fuck end of the first half, not even trying to get in field goal range.

Then brings in Dawkins as a "coaching decision", after Tate was 10/11 passing, the only miss the hail mary end of half

Quit playing not to lose. I fucking hate it.