Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

OSUCat

Re: Coach Rod

Post by OSUCat »

Rich Rodriguez is 2-4 against ASU, which is four losses too many.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

OSUCat wrote:Rich Rodriguez is 2-4 against ASU, which is four losses too many.
I wonder how many HC in the Power 5 conference have lost more than 4 games to their rival and still coaching their team today.

Is Paul Johnson record against Georgia is 3-7

Is Mike Gundy record against Oklahoma is 2-11

I don't see their fan base getting the pitch folk or screaming at their AD for a firing or better result.

You cant win them all, It tough to win them, It tough to lose them. If you want to keep beating that drum to say 4 losses to ASU is unacceptable. Suck it up and get ready for the next TCUP match up.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
I wonder how many HC in the Power 5 conference have lost more than 4 games to their rival and still coaching their team today.

I don't see their fan base getting the pitch folk or screaming at their AD for a firing or better result.

You cant win them all, It tough to win them, It tough to lose them. If you want to keep beating that drum to say 4 losses to ASU is unacceptable. Suck it up and get ready for the next TCUP match up.
Georgia... Oklahoma.... Arizona State.

Hmmm... one of these things is not like the others.

If you are not familiar with that last phrase - Google it. It should lead you to a TV program that might be good for you to watch.

What are Mike Gundy's and Paul Johnson's overall conference records? Vs teams from other BCS Conferences?

RR's record here overall (against anything other than OOC cupcakes) has been shit. His .333 winning % against a marginal ASU program is simply icing on the cake.

PS - While you are at it, why not mention Woody Hayes 4-5-1 record vs Michigan's Bo Shembechler? That makes he and RR virtually identical coaches.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Receivers need time to get downfield for a Hail Mary. Leaving Tate back there to get injured even more was a terrible idea.

No excuse for it. If he was injured before that, take him out and put Dawkins in.

That was a brutal hit Tate took.
Let's not forget that the target for the hail Mary was a 5'8 receiver. The entire play was ridiculously moronic from the jump.

On another note we're going to have higher aspirations next year, but due to the style we play Tate is 100% going to get hurt at some point and we are going to lose more games than we should. Next year is going to be disappointing that's for sure.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Well, I'm torn. I was so pissed to watch how the 2nd half went down but only the folks on that team know what really happened. After playing it through in my mind, I am guessing RR started playing conservative at the end of first half because Tate got hurt. But Tate came to him and said he could go because he is a competitor. Then came the hail mary hit. RR starts BD in the 3rd because, well, be beat ASU last year w/o a 2nd half pass attempt. Maybe we can do it again. Count on the punt block and subsequent ASU TD to prove this wasn't the same team we beat last year. Anyways, I turned the TV off after that and couldn't watch anymore. If that is not how it went down and the team feels RR and the assistants lost the game, then we will know soon enough. If that is how it went down ,RR deserves one more year. It sets up to be a special one, a coaching change could throw that away and we have to start rebuilding again. Call me a homer but here is what I see: Tate gets every snap in the spring and summer, he is the clear starter with a possible run for the Heisman, he can improve his throwing, the Defense has another year in the off season in the weight room and is improving (note that I did not say they were great but improving). UCLA and ASU have to start with new coaches. If we can find some depth for the D and O lines, we could win the P12 south. If he doesn't get it done, he is done.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I am not happy with the results the 5th highest paid coach is bringing to the table.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Georgia... Oklahoma.... Arizona State.

Hmmm... one of these things is not like the others.

If you are not familiar with that last phrase - Google it. It should lead you to a TV program that might be good for you to watch.

What are Mike Gundy's and Paul Johnson's overall conference records? Vs teams from other BCS Conferences?

RR's record here overall (against anything other than OOC cupcakes) has been shit. His .333 winning % against a marginal ASU program is simply icing on the cake.

PS - While you are at it, why not mention Woody Hayes 4-5-1 record vs Michigan's Bo Shembechler? That makes he and RR virtually identical coaches.
I'm talking about rivalry not overall.

If we care so much about his record against rival teams

Mike Gundy and Paul Johnson rivalry record is an example. I don't see their fan bases getting pitch fork out to get them.

Don't twisted subject.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

UALoco wrote:Well, I'm torn. I was so pissed to watch how the 2nd half went down but only the folks on that team know what really happened. After playing it through in my mind, I am guessing RR started playing conservative at the end of first half because Tate got hurt. But Tate came to him and said he could go because he is a competitor. Then came the hail mary hit. RR starts BD in the 3rd because, well, be beat ASU last year w/o a 2nd half pass attempt. Maybe we can do it again. Count on the punt block and subsequent ASU TD to prove this wasn't the same team we beat last year. Anyways, I turned the TV off after that and couldn't watch anymore. If that is not how it went down and the team feels RR and the assistants lost the game, then we will know soon enough. If that is how it went down ,RR deserves one more year. It sets up to be a special one, a coaching change could throw that away and we have to start rebuilding again. Call me a homer but here is what I see: Tate gets every snap in the spring and summer, he is the clear starter with a possible run for the Heisman, he can improve his throwing, the Defense has another year in the off season in the weight room and is improving (note that I did not say they were great but improving). UCLA and ASU have to start with new coaches. If we can find some depth for the D and O lines, we could win the P12 south. If he doesn't get it done, he is done.
If Tate can improve his throwing? You're a day late and a Dollar short on that one, Bud. You watched the first half, right? You've seen his stats game by game, right? The kid has grown to be excellent in all aspects.
Coffeebean

Post by Coffeebean »

No intellectually honest person can suggest that RR is the coach our program needs or wants.

This is strictly about money: is there enough to fire him and hire someone new?

If he stays, then you have your answer.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrMeow wrote: You watched the first half, right? You've seen his stats game by game, right? The kid has grown to be excellent in all aspects.
Tate was 10/10 passing until that horrid Hail Mary attempt. However, he did end up 11/13 for just 132 yards, with much of that coming on that long ball he under threw which the receiver ended up coming back for. He also under threw that pass into the endzone which turned out to be PI on ASU, although it was even close to the receiver.

Tate can make the short pass, but isn't a Power 5 QB in hitting the long ones. Maybe he wasn't 100% going into the game, and can't wait in the pocket for the receivers to get open downfield. In any even, he couldn't even try after getting smacked after that Hail Mary pass.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Coffeebean wrote:No intellectually honest person can suggest that RR is the coach our program needs or wants.

This all day. ASU firing toad with a higher buyout and getting sumlin means they somehow have a ton more money than us if we don't fire RR
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Tennessee twitter is absolutely melting down right now it’s hilarious
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Coffeebean wrote:No intellectually honest person can suggest that RR is the coach our program needs or wants.

This all day. ASU firing toad with a higher buyout and getting sumlin means they somehow have a ton more money than us if we don't fire RR
I guess they have boosters with deeper pockets?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If more people showed up to the games there would be more money and the ad would listen to more opinions
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

he. just. doesn't. get. it.

people are not going to freaking show up for games that take up from 6 pm to midnight minimum of your time on a saturday. and that 6 hours is usually spent watching us play some bottom feeder non conference game or watching us give up 40+ points to a conference team. and half the time one of the few talented players we do have is hurt because our coach's shitty system and lack of recruiting makes that inevitable.

it really isn't hard to understand. I'm certainly not buying a ticket until we have a new coach.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:If more people showed up to the games there would be more money and the ad would listen to more opinions
UA fans have voted their opinions by not going to the games. If people started going, then Heeke would consider RichRod a success.

Recall Heeke came from CMU. CMU's big rival is WMU. His big football hire was getting the Detroit Lion's special teams coach to be CMU's HC.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:he. just. doesn't. get. it.

people are not going to freaking show up for games that take up from 6 pm to midnight minimum of your time on a saturday. and that 6 hours is usually spent watching us play some bottom feeder non conference game or watching us give up 40+ points to a conference team. and half the time one of the few talented players we do have is hurt because our coach's shitty system and lack of recruiting makes that inevitable.

it really isn't hard to understand. I'm certainly not buying a ticket until we have a new coach.
Awful fan
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:If more people showed up to the games there would be more money and the ad would listen to more opinions
UA fans have voted their opinions by not going to the games. If people started going, then Heeke would consider RichRod a success.

Recall Heeke came from CMU. CMU's big rival is WMU. His big football hire was getting the Detroit Lion's special teams coach to be CMU's HC.
I get your point to an extent but

1) there probably isn't enough to buy out RR and pay for a new coach as is
2) the AD doesn't give a shot about what non Wildcat Club members think
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:

Awful fan
I'm glad you're finally realizing what to call yourself machina

WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I get your point to an extent but

1) there probably isn't enough to buy out RR and pay for a new coach as is
2) the AD doesn't give a shot about what non Wildcat Club members think
Then Heeke better get used to average attendance around 40k or less.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Rodriguez is not going to be fired and shouldn't be. Graham shouldn't have been either but delusional devil fans think they are on the same level as USC.

Face it. We have never had a coach that was popular here and there is no coaching hire that is going to fill the stadium.

The only scenario that might win the fans is to promote Chuck Cecil and bring in Hunley as associate HC and defensive coordinator.

Whether that wins on the field or not is the question.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

The money rich rod makes is not equivalent to the results produced.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

jimson wrote:Rodriguez is not going to be fired and shouldn't be. Graham shouldn't have been either but delusional devil fans think they are on the same level as USC.

Face it. We have never had a coach that was popular here and there is no coaching hire that is going to fill the stadium.

The only scenario that might win the fans is to promote Chuck Cecil and bring in Hunley as associate HC and defensive coordinator.

Rodriguez isn't going to be fired-correct
He shouldn't be-absolutely incorrect
We've never had a coach that was popular-most likely incorrect
No coaching hire will fill the stadium-conjecture/made up

BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Heh.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Some folks just can't face the facts. More butts in the seats translates into more $$ which translates to more options in terms of coaching talents. Very true.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UALoco wrote:

Some folks just can't face the facts. More butts in the seats translates into more $$ which translates to more options in terms of coaching talents. Very true.
Bingo
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Merkin wrote: UA fans have voted their opinions by not going to the games. If people started going, then Heeke would consider RichRod a success.
Not really...A&M stadium is packed week in and week out..Sumlin gone now...prolly going to Tempe.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

jimson wrote:no coaching hire that we can afford is going to fill the stadium.
*fixed*
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UALoco wrote:
jimson wrote:no coaching hire that we can afford is going to fill the stadium.
*fixed*
Exactly. In college the attendance must come first
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

UALoco wrote:

I don't understand. Seems like the university is willing to spend money on a coach. The results don't match his pay whatsoever.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Frybry02 wrote:
UALoco wrote:

I don't understand. Seems like the university is willing to spend money on a coach. The results don't match his pay whatsoever.

A lot of that money is from the fund provided by a booster...if another booster wanted to pay up and pay for another coach, we'd get a new one....any takers???
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

That pay is because of the stock retention package thing. His base salary isn't that high comparatively.

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

UALoco wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
UALoco wrote:

A lot of that money is from the fund provided by a booster...if another booster wanted to pay up and pay for another coach, we'd get a new one....any takers???
So Western refining wouldn't supplement the pay on any future head coach?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

This conversation is pointless unless we can find a booster to pay his buyout. $6.5 M is not insignificant, despite the $12 M and change ASU is shelling out to get rid of Toad. RR's salary drops next season since the contract bonuses took effect this year.

Quite frankly, I'm most concerned with the success of our basketball program. I watch plenty of football and baseball games and want every program to succeed but basketball comes first for me and many other fans. No offense to anyone here.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

boo hiss boo
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UALoco wrote:
Merkin wrote: UA fans have voted their opinions by not going to the games. If people started going, then Heeke would consider RichRod a success.
Not really...A&M stadium is packed week in and week out..Sumlin gone now...prolly going to Tempe.
A&M has very unrealistic expectations. Arizona does not.
jimson

Post by jimson »

ASUHATER! wrote:
jimson wrote:Rodriguez is not going to be fired and shouldn't be. Graham shouldn't have been either but delusional devil fans think they are on the same level as USC.

Rodriguez isn't going to be fired-correct
He shouldn't be-absolutely incorrect
We've never had a coach that was popular-most likely incorrect
No coaching hire will fill the stadium-conjecture/made up
Not going to respond to this basically because I think you and your brother are assholes LOL
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

With the exceeding of expectations (albeit you must admit RR caused the low expecations), the Tate momentum in recruiting, the improvement of the defense when you took at results per play and talent of the young players, the financial impact of it, and the schools that we would be competing with for coaches, with not a lot of young and up and comers like Herman and Fleck last year, the right thing to do is put high expectations on RR next year and let him go then if he does not meet them.

No one has named a name yet that would do better than RR next year. That must be factored in.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Heard Heeke was pretty hot at the end of the game. Any ideas as to what that was about?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:Heard Heeke was pretty hot at the end of the game. Any ideas as to what that was about?
Combo of play calling, special teams, the loss and the blown call
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

PHXCATS wrote:With the exceeding of expectations (albeit you must admit RR caused the low expecations), the Tate momentum in recruiting, the improvement of the defense when you took at results per play and talent of the young players, the financial impact of it, and the schools that we would be competing with for coaches, with not a lot of young and up and comers like Herman and Fleck last year, the right thing to do is put high expectations on RR next year and let him go then if he does not meet them.

No one has named a name yet that would do better than RR next year. That must be factored in.
Honestly when you look at the rest of the Pac 12 south and players leaving next year, and couple that with Tate and returning players on defense who should be MUCH improved, those expectations should be to win the South - MINIMUM.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Heard Heeke was pretty hot at the end of the game. Any ideas as to what that was about?

You know that for a fact or just speculation?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
The performance of the basketball team has to certainly be weighing on him as well. He has to likely deal with unforeseen fan apathy towards the prized program and money maker of his athletic department. What went down on the field on Saturday just added up with all of that and likely manifested in the anger every one saw as he left the field.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

You know that for a fact or just speculation?
speculation but what else could it possibly be? That the cable guy was late?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

splitsecond wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:With the exceeding of expectations (albeit you must admit RR caused the low expecations), the Tate momentum in recruiting, the improvement of the defense when you took at results per play and talent of the young players, the financial impact of it, and the schools that we would be competing with for coaches, with not a lot of young and up and comers like Herman and Fleck last year, the right thing to do is put high expectations on RR next year and let him go then if he does not meet them.

Honestly when you look at the rest of the Pac 12 south and players leaving next year, and couple that with Tate and returning players on defense who should be MUCH improved, those expectations should be to win the South - MINIMUM.
Exactly why (unless you get Sumlin because he can run a similar style that fits the roster) you keep RR next year. Unlike what some clowns say who cant even give one name of someone who UA can get who would do better next year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The three top tacklers are the freshman group of LB's/Wilborn and 10 of the top 12 back are freshman/RF or sophomores. Biggest issue will be protecting Tate with a young line and we need a really wide out with speed and range. Poindexter might get another year but not sure if he is a game changer and we have enough smurfs. Kind of seems we went away from the TE's that did so much early. Like to get back into that.

Must be healthy on both sides as we have seen that depth is our enemy and that is always the issue with a RR team it seems
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
splitsecond wrote:

Exactly why (unless you get Sumlin because he can run a similar style that fits the roster) you keep RR next year. Unlike what some clowns say who cant even give one name of someone who UA can get who would do better next year.
I mean there's always somebody who could, it's just the chances that a highly regarded coach would come to Arizona is not likely for numerous reasons. There's numerous coordinators who could probably do a better job than RR has here, but it's a matter of identifying the correct one, paying a correct salary, etc., etc.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
splitsecond wrote:

I mean there's always somebody who could, it's just the chances that a highly regarded coach would come to Arizona is not likely for numerous reasons. There's numerous coordinators who could probably do a better job than RR has here, but it's a matter of identifying the correct one, paying a correct salary, etc., etc.
Of course it is possible with a coordinator. However they are a crap shoot. Look at Stoops. He did alright here but he was the #1 coordinator at the time. Give RR one more try to make a great success out of the 2018 season. That is the smart move. No one that U of A can get will likely get 9 wins next year. RR can and should get 9 wins.
cpt

Post by cpt »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
splitsecond wrote:

Of course it is possible with a coordinator. However they are a crap shoot. Look at Stoops. He did alright here but he was the #1 coordinator at the time. Give RR one more try to make a great success out of the 2018 season. That is the smart move. No one that U of A can get will likely get 9 wins next year. RR can and should get 9 wins.
I agree. Keep Rich Rod. I think next year is going to be special.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Need to put some perspective on RR and UA football program. RR now owns half of the winning conference records the UA program has had the last 19 years. He now has two. RR is the only coach since UA joined the Pac to improve his teams conference record by 4 games from one year to the next. RR has a P12 South title to his name.

UA has been that bad. UA football has been irrelevant for two decades now. It just has been. Having said that, RR, like or not has performed better than other UA coaches in last two decades. That's some perspective. Not on RR necessarily but with the UA program in general.

When UA joined the Pac in 1978 and for the first twenty years, UA was neck and neck with UCLA as having 2nd most conference winning season records. They were somewhat Relevant. From 1978-1998 only Washington and USC had more conference winning season records than UCLA or UA.

UA had More than Oregon, Stanford, ASU, Cal, Oregon st or Wazzu from 1978-1998

In last 19 years, UA has fallen behind ALL OF THE OTHER SCHOOLS with number of conference winning records. Since 1999, UA has 4 seasons with conference winning records. Except for Utah and Colorado who just recently joined the Pac, UA in the last 19 years have LESS winning conference records than every other PAC-10 school. Irrelevant.

But that is what has become UA football program. Some of you haven't been UA fans longer than 19 years, so easier to compare RR's performance with other coaches

19 or 20 years is a long enough resume to get some perspective of what UA football has become or allowed itself to become. It's become irrelevant and somehow in the last twenty years it still is, even with RR "propping up" the conference records. Maybe it's not all on the coaches.