Re: Jedd Fisch

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:33 pm
I love this.

But it sucks to be an OLineman.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

One thing. If he ever gets the chance, he better score at least 71 before he pulls the starters in a T-cup game.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Absolutely, if we are ever in a situation to do so against ASU, we need to be keeping starters in until the final whistle and running the full playbook and not kneeling even if we're up 40+
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I had to turn off THAT game, but did ASU leave in their starters for most of the game? If they did it wouldn't surprise me.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:35 pm I had to turn off THAT game, but did ASU leave in their starters for most of the game? If they did it wouldn't surprise me.
I don't think so. Jackson He, the only Chinese born player in FBS played in his only game and scored a TD, and ASU had 7 different players rush the ball. ASU also had 23 different players make a tackle on defense.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Arizona

"This is going to be a long-term project after an objectively bad hire. It’s not that Kevin [Sumlin] couldn’t coach, it’s that what he brings wasn’t ever going to fit at that place. Too much Texas focus with their recruiting, for one."

"It’s hard to say what happens now. The biggest move for them was Jedd [Fisch] bringing in Don Brown. He’s been very good throughout his career and I think he’s the kind of coordinator who you can recruit to, which is rare."

"Offensively they’re hitting the transfer market somewhat, the Northwestern (Drake Anderson) running back is a solid pick-up, but this is gonna be the tear-down. This is a Year Zero qualifier for sure."

"Recruiting has been bad for this program and Arizona State is so far ahead of them. They have to turn over the roster on both sides, which is a two-year project at least before you can really see results in this conference. The thing to watch is going to be branding and recruiting. How can they catch up with ASU? How are they different? They are the weak link in a really good division, so what are they selling that’s different?"

"Jedd is taking a lot of heat as a bad hire, but I don’t think a lot of guys were circling this job. There are budget issues and no talent. Just settle in on this one, it’s gonna be a while.”

Excerpt from the Anthlon anonymous coaches comments. Mixed emotions between they are probably right to F them. Hope Fisch posts this on the bulletin board
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Arizona hasn't been shat on this much preseason since the late Mackovic era
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:32 pm Arizona

"This is going to be a long-term project after an objectively bad hire. It’s not that Kevin [Sumlin] couldn’t coach, it’s that what he brings wasn’t ever going to fit at that place. Too much Texas focus with their recruiting, for one."

"It’s hard to say what happens now. The biggest move for them was Jedd [Fisch] bringing in Don Brown. He’s been very good throughout his career and I think he’s the kind of coordinator who you can recruit to, which is rare."

"Offensively they’re hitting the transfer market somewhat, the Northwestern (Drake Anderson) running back is a solid pick-up, but this is gonna be the tear-down. This is a Year Zero qualifier for sure."

"Recruiting has been bad for this program and Arizona State is so far ahead of them. They have to turn over the roster on both sides, which is a two-year project at least before you can really see results in this conference. The thing to watch is going to be branding and recruiting. How can they catch up with ASU? How are they different? They are the weak link in a really good division, so what are they selling that’s different?"

"Jedd is taking a lot of heat as a bad hire, but I don’t think a lot of guys were circling this job. There are budget issues and no talent. Just settle in on this one, it’s gonna be a while.”

Excerpt from the Anthlon anonymous coaches comments. Mixed emotions between they are probably right to F them. Hope Fisch posts this on the bulletin board
This moron (probably from ASU) lost me when he said "it's not that Scumlin couldn't coach, it’s that what he brings wasn’t ever going to fit at that place."

What the fuck did that loser turd bring that would have fit at any place?

When was this written? January? Guess he hasn't seen that Fisch has recruited better from the portal alone than Stumblin did in 3 years.
We all know we aren't going to challenge for the division title this year, probably won't go to a bowl game, but if anyone thinks that this team isn't going to improve significantly, I'll take a wager.
Last edited by AV8RCAT on Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That’s what other Pac12 coaches said about us.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

This is from the new Athlon magazine that came out right before the ASSU recruiting allegations became public. All of the quotes you see are from rival coaches in the conference. None are from the writer and all were given anonymity
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Individual quotes from multiple coaches. I get it now.

"after an objectively bad hire"
What's with a qualification? Sumlin was a disastrous hire, period.

"Jedd is taking a lot of heat as a bad hire"
Uh, not in some time.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Well, come what may, today begins the 9th new "era" for me.

I remember very clearly waiting for the movie at the old Prince Drive-In and reading a Corky Simpson column in the Tucson Citizen, talking all about new coach Jim Young and the fancy new uniforms the team would have. And here we are 48 years later talking all about new coach Jedd Fisch and the fancy new (throwback) uniforms the team will have. As the quote goes: "The more things change, the more they remain the same."

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Most people don't even know where the prince drive in was. Right down the street from Tucson General Hospital that has been gone a long time also.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I hope all this effort by the coaching staff is rewarded. I know it will be awhile but trying hard and using all your resources to reach a team is appreciated. Coach has done more than I expected or even hoped for. Now just win some games,
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

TheCat wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:02 pm I hope all this effort by the coaching staff is rewarded. I know it will be awhile but trying hard and using all your resources to reach a team is appreciated. Coach has done more than I expected or even hoped for. Now just win some games,
He's done more than I could envision. I'm not excited for this year because I expect a lot of wins. I fully expect a noticeable improvement, and I don't think that's a tall order.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:27 am
TheCat wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:02 pm I hope all this effort by the coaching staff is rewarded. I know it will be awhile but trying hard and using all your resources to reach a team is appreciated. Coach has done more than I expected or even hoped for. Now just win some games,
He's done more than I could envision. I'm not excited for this year because I expect a lot of wins. I fully expect a noticeable improvement, and I don't think that's a tall order.
Not being an utter dumpster fire would be an improvement vs Sumlin. The bar for improvements vs Sumlin is super low.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:39 am The bar for improvements vs Sumlin is super low.
70-7 low. Even Mackovic's teams never quit on him like that team did on Sumlin. Although Mackovic actually wanted to win.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:48 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:39 am The bar for improvements vs Sumlin is super low.
70-7 low. Even Mackovic's teams never quit on him like that team did on Sumlin. Although Mackovic actually wanted to win.
Yep. As crazy as it sounds, it could have been worse too. We were down 14-0 inside the first minute of the game.

It's not often you're on pace to lose 624-0.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It was Cumberland esque
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It’s maybe a little different when the lights come on and you’re The Guy.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:14 am It’s maybe a little different when the lights come on and you’re The Guy.
He's not a head coach. We knew that when he was hired. Then came all the "Wow! This guy can coach!" before a game was ever played. Well....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He certainly can talk the talk same as the old boss won't get fooled again
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I'm just glad I never bought into the hype. Still haven't watched a single down of UA football since that November 2018 collapse against ASsU. Need a new prez, a new AD and a new real FB head coach.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:48 am
I wonder how we all felt when RR went 3-9 in 2016 season. And here i though his name would of been in this conversation with Sumlin and Mackovic?

I wonder how players gave up on RR when they were getting their asses handed too on a week to week.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Not today Lucy
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

All of us will get better from Saturday’s experience “ That is a veiled apology for the sh$tshow that game management showed in the game entry and overall experience.

Still I am going to be there and suck it up for 6 games this year and try my best to see program improvement.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

RR had one losing season in Tucson. It looked as if we were heading for another one, but Khalil Tate saved RR's job, only to see RR lose it because RR thought he was Don Draper, and the year was 1966, and the Arizona Football office was like the TV show Mad Men. Too bad, because with Sumlin and Tate, we went 5-7. With RR, we likely do no worse than 7-5, and RR is likely still the coach in Tucson.

As for Fisch, it's only been two games, but I see plenty of shades of Mike Stoops. The players are playing harder, but they aren't playing smarter. Stupid penalties, not being in the right spot like setting the edge on D, missed blocks, etc. I'm happy the kids are playing harder, but unless you have Alabama or Oklahoma talent, you need to play smarter too.

It took Mike Stoops 5 years to build a winning team, and that team only went 8-5. And 8 wins turned out to be Stoops' ceiling. Stoops made many rookie mistakes early on, and by the time he built a winning team, top assistants started to leave, and opposing coaches had figured Stoops out. I get the same vibes so far from Fisch. We'll see if Fisch can have a winning season quicker than Stoops, and if Fisch can actually break the 8-win barrier in Tucson, like Smith, Tomey, and RR all did.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Regarding our coaching hires in the Pac-10/12 era. In our first twenty years, we had three coaches, with the following backgrounds: Tony Mason (Head Coach who turned Cincinnati into a winner and beat Frank Kush at ASU while there), Larry Smith (Head Coach who turned Tulane into a winner and beat LSU while there), Dick Tomey (Head Coach who turned Hawaii into a winner and beat ASU while there.) Depending on how you define success, we had about 7 bad seasons in that span under those coaches (which includes all of them losing in their first transition season.) In the last twenty years, we've had five coaches, three of whom were unemployed as coaches after being fired, and two of whom had no previous head coaching experience. And, conversely to the first twenty years, we've only had about 7 good seasons in that span. It's obviously far too soon to draw any conclusions about Fisch and I'll remain hopeful that he'll succeed, but the circumstances and numbers are what they are. Maybe I'm making a specious correlation due to other factors, but it's something to think about and kind of damning to the administrations who have failed during the more recent time span.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I'm not upset about losing to a MWC team. What's upsetting is that we didn't seem able to really compete.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:35 am RR had one losing season in Tucson. It looked as if we were heading for another one, but Khalil Tate saved RR's job, only to see RR lose it because RR thought he was Don Draper, and the year was 1966, and the Arizona Football office was like the TV show Mad Men. Too bad, because with Sumlin and Tate, we went 5-7. With RR, we likely do no worse than 7-5, and RR is likely still the coach in Tucson.

As for Fisch, it's only been two games, but I see plenty of shades of Mike Stoops. The players are playing harder, but they aren't playing smarter. Stupid penalties, not being in the right spot like setting the edge on D, missed blocks, etc. I'm happy the kids are playing harder, but unless you have Alabama or Oklahoma talent, you need to play smarter too.

It took Mike Stoops 5 years to build a winning team, and that team only went 8-5. And 8 wins turned out to be Stoops' ceiling. Stoops made many rookie mistakes early on, and by the time he built a winning team, top assistants started to leave, and opposing coaches had figured Stoops out. I get the same vibes so far from Fisch. We'll see if Fisch can have a winning season quicker than Stoops, and if Fisch can actually break the 8-win barrier in Tucson, like Smith, Tomey, and RR all did.
So were still using that excuse?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:23 pm So were still using that excuse?
Can you be more specific? What excuse?
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

What excuse is a good question. We didn't let RR go because of football reasons. It's because of off-field issues that in today's world, we just couldn't turn the other way because RR had a good record at Arizona. Sumlin's first year, we lost to BYU early as the offense struggled. And of course, collapsed against ASu. I contend, that had RR been coach, we likely win both games and finish no worse than 7-5 and go bowling. And going 7-5 with a bowl appearance keeps your job at Arizona.

Sumlin was a huge mistake. Nobody did less with more talent than Sumlin at TAMU. So given less talent at Arizona, Sumlin bombed. Not a shock. Sumlin might have been somewhat positive had he improved our recruiting, but by the time he got to Tucson, the book was out. Sumlin can't coach up anyone, so top talent stayed away.

Fisch? Time will tell. But agreed, the two most successful coaches at Arizona came to us as a head coach from Tulane and a head coach from Hawaii. The two worst were fired coaches from the state of Texas. Stoops wasn't awful, but he wasn't good either. And RR? Incomplete, because unfortunately, he was fired for non-football reasons.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Not ready to declare Fisch incompetent. I just went from looking to place a bet on a 4 plus win season to wonder if it's worth the trouble for NAU.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:22 am
Basketcats wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:17 am It isn't pessimism. It is realism. There has been so many times over the past 40 years I have bought into the hype surrounding the football team and the majority of those times have ended with disappointing results. I am one of those "wait and see'ers". I acknowledged the good steps Fisch has taken. That doesn't not justify jumping into the deep end of the support pool though. As with everything surrounding my life, I need proof before I believe. He is unproven and until he (and the team) takes the field and proves they can produce a W or at least seriously compete against someone other than a D2 school, I will remain a skeptic.
Chicat wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:05 pm Stepping stone after leading us barely above .500 in four years? Blech…

Stepping stone after changing around the entire culture and making us a surprise power on the west coast? Go forth and conquer my man…
This is another reason why I will not show support or hold out hope. It is time that the UofA finds a committed football coach and goes to great lengths to retain them. I don't want to see another Larry Smith thing happen. That situation was so gut-wrenching and painful from a fan perspective. That heartbreak and those dashed hopes still sting to this day. I fear that Fisch and his well worn shoes, will be on the first G6 to a "bigger and better" school is he even gets a whiff success at UofA.
LOL, I get it. I've been doing this since I returned to AZ and watched the 85 Sun Bowl with some friends who were well connected to the local sports scene.
I was such an obsessed asshole, I used to vocally hope that Ronald Veal would get injured, so freshman Maalaulu would be the starter.
One time during the Stoops era, we had a 2 score lead on Oregon and they made a quick score after we got penalized for Foles re-passing a ball that bounced off someone straight back into his hands or something weird like that. I was listening while hurrying home to catch the last of the game on TV. I turned the radio off and when I got home...mind you, we were still ahead.... I didn't even turn the game on and went to bed not knowing what happened, but actually, I went to bed sure of exactly what happened, we blew it and I couldn't stand to watch it. I was right that time, but I later missed two amazing comebacks against Cal for leaving games early.

Still, I always bought into the hype, and got disappointed, but now, very little of my well being hinges on the fortunes of a sports team. I just deal with it and still try to enjoy the start of the season.

The difference this time, is that I have never seen anyone do so many things that in my opinion, position the program for success.
Someone here said something to the effect that it almost felt like Fisch was personally recruiting him as a fan.
I feel that way, so I bought some S. corner end zone seats, mostly for the evening shade. That's less than 20 bucks a person per game.
I think Fisch has earned that much from me and I just have a feeling that I don't want miss a thing.

Our head coach is an offense guy, but I predict one of the best one year defensive turnarounds you have ever seen.

I'm not quite as hard on Larry Smith. He didn't leave a smoking crater behind. I remember him being pissed about the crowd booing the team, and suggested people who do that to college kids should stay home and they did in droves. I remember him being booed at a charity run.
I also remember Dick Tomey saying that his family couldn't even come to games because of fan hostility. I was almost that shitty in my stupid years. We sure don't need fans like the younger me.
And now you see why I don't buy into the hype anymore. It is sad. I love anything and everything UofA (except the current administration), but, I learned my lesson a long time ago when it comes to buying into the hype of abstract/odd coaching hires. Very rarely do they ever work out and, if they do make a difference, someone steals that coach away as soon as the program shows signs of turning a corner and climbing up the tree of success. I hate saying it, but, I don't see UofA regaining any of its past athletic prowess during my lifetime.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

i find myself less emotionally invested these days. The sun rose Sunday after all.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Step one: remove the “wide receiver screen for negative yards” from playbook.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:26 pm What excuse is a good question. We didn't let RR go because of football reasons. It's because of off-field issues that in today's world, we just couldn't turn the other way because RR had a good record at Arizona. Sumlin's first year, we lost to BYU early as the offense struggled. And of course, collapsed against ASu. I contend, that had RR been coach, we likely win both games and finish no worse than 7-5 and go bowling. And going 7-5 with a bowl appearance keeps your job at Arizona.

Sumlin was a huge mistake. Nobody did less with more talent than Sumlin at TAMU. So given less talent at Arizona, Sumlin bombed. Not a shock. Sumlin might have been somewhat positive had he improved our recruiting, but by the time he got to Tucson, the book was out. Sumlin can't coach up anyone, so top talent stayed away.

Fisch? Time will tell. But agreed, the two most successful coaches at Arizona came to us as a head coach from Tulane and a head coach from Hawaii. The two worst were fired coaches from the state of Texas. Stoops wasn't awful, but he wasn't good either. And RR? Incomplete, because unfortunately, he was fired for non-football reasons.
Macovick, I don’t really know what happened. Too different from Tomey for players?
Sumlin had too much $$ and access to booze.
The rest of those guys had issues with the ladies. Lost focus and desire to recruit with required intensity.

Maybe they should hire Miller to recruit for football
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:14 pm Step one: remove the “wide receiver screen for negative yards” from playbook.
The problem is a lot of this cascades. Our O line is weak, so we use the screens to force the D horizontally and keep rushers from gashing us by pinning their ears back. It also keeps Cruz and Plummer vertical by letting them get the ball out fast.

Also, our WR's aren't great at getting separation, so it's challenging to run more vertical routes. Our O line and run game are also blah, so we can't pound the rock.

That's the core problem right now. We don't do anything well. We either do things poorly or ok. So we can't force an opponent to react to anything. We have no playmaking threats, so 100% of the plan is no mistakes and hoping things break our way once or twice.

When we don't make mistakes, like BYU, it looks ok if toothless. When we make mistakes, like SDSU, it gets ugly fast.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The OLine was much better last game than I thought. Pro football had SDST for like 8 pressures after having another worldly 30+ against NMST.

Cruz was terrible. I watched the game over abd at key times his hesitation absolutely killed drives and momentum. Hard to think he went from pretty good in game one to terrible in game two
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:42 am The OLine was much better last game than I thought. Pro football had SDST for like 8 pressures after having another worldly 30+ against NMST.

Cruz was terrible. I watched the game over abd at key times his hesitation absolutely killed drives and momentum. Hard to think he went from pretty good in game one to terrible in game two
I don't know. Admittedly, it was an ass kicking I didn't watch a lot of, but it seemed like a lot of that pressure stat was that we were only throwing short routes that didn't take time to develop.

Which SDSU seemed happy to let us do after they got up big early. Just let us hit short passes snf bend but don't break. Our run game basically didn't exist, so it was just dink and dunk until a mistake killed a drive.

Only gaining 179 yards on 40 pass plays is pretty nuts.
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

How much is his buyout?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

PieceOfMeat wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:01 am fisch has made really smart PR moves so far as our coach...
i hope he's as good at coaching and recruiting as he is at making PR moves.
I've had low expectations due to our team's lack of talent but I must admit to thinking we'd beat NAU.
I didn't get to watch the game though, so I don't know how much of the loss is on coaching, but it sure isn't a good look (even for our pathetic football team) to lose to nau in our own stadium (not that losing at their place would be better really, but still).

I don't know how any PR could possibly win back the fan base right now. Maybe make the games free to attend?

If the job wasn't hard enough before, it certainly isn't going to get any easier now for Fisch.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The honeymoon is certainly over
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

So far it seems Fisch would be a better cheerleader AD than a football coach. Hard to blame a loss to NAU on the previous coach.