What the heck?
EastCoastCat

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:43 am
This is the most surprising thing to me in the article:

Arizona president Robert Robbins leaves Tuesday for a trip to Kazakhstan

What the heck?
Well, the most accurate thing was when Robbins said "Maybe I'm too dumb to realize..."
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:43 am
This is the most surprising thing to me in the article:

Arizona president Robert Robbins leaves Tuesday for a trip to Kazakhstan

What the heck?
https://international.arizona.edu/news/ ... campus-and
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Is there a coaching staff opening that Borat is going to fill?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:52 pm Is there a coaching staff opening that Borat is going to fill?
Borat can rake recruits.

He’d be a great hire.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:45 am Well, the most accurate thing was when Robbins said "Maybe I'm too dumb to realize..."
Interesting. Too bad Longhorned isn't here any more.

That's actually pretty cool.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The CW is in play it seems for the PAC12. I actual really like it
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Jesus Fucking Christ. I didn’t know that The CW was still around.

Well played P12. Go to channel people don’t even know is on air.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The only sports the CW has is LIV Golf. And the viewership numbers have been bad. Is it product? Channel? Combination? I would say combo, as LIV Golf has had a lot of bad press, and the CW isn't a channel people think about for sports.

With that said, CW is an OTA Channel with its own app. Games shouldn't be too hard to find. And the PAC would be King of CW Sports, versus being 2nd or 3rd biggest conference in ESPN or FOX. If the money is good, we should at least listen. But total package would have to be north of $35 million per school to make CW a potentially worthy gamble.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:15 am The only sports the CW has is LIV Golf. And the viewership numbers have been bad. Is it product? Channel? Combination? I would say combo, as LIV Golf has had a lot of bad press, and the CW isn't a channel people think about for sports.

With that said, CW is an OTA Channel with its own app. Games shouldn't be too hard to find. And the PAC would be King of CW Sports, versus being 2nd or 3rd biggest conference in ESPN or FOX. If the money is good, we should at least listen. But total package would have to be north of $35 million per school to make CW a potentially worthy gamble.
Product. I love golf. I loved lots of the players on the LIV tour before they joined it. I will never watch a LIV event
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:15 am The only sports the CW has is LIV Golf. And the viewership numbers have been bad. Is it product? Channel? Combination? I would say combo, as LIV Golf has had a lot of bad press, and the CW isn't a channel people think about for sports.

This is precisely what I am thinking. I can watch the Cat on CW without having to pay a forturne for streaming services since I live on the East Coast. I was considering not bothering watching the Cats next year because of the cost and hoops I would have to navigate. With CW I can subscribe to YouTube TV after the Pac-12 Network goes away (hopefully).
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

PHXCATS wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:03 am

Product. I love golf. I loved lots of the players on the LIV tour before they joined it. I will never watch a LIV event
Blood Money Tour.

No thanks.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

wyo-cat wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:49 am
PHXCATS wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:03 am

Blood Money Tour.

No thanks.
Exactly why I don’t watch
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Mike Luke's burner account.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Canzano did nothing wrong. Those people constantly attacking him are really making Arizona look bad
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I think this is where we are. Hopefully we are ready to jump ship stat. The pac is basically over unless we are willing to take a significant pay cut
Unless you want to wait for this but I think that is foolish
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

What is the issue with the CW if they have a quality broadcast? Lots of exposure and good tip off/kickoff times. If the money is there this would be an amazing move
TheCatInTheHat

Regarding The CW

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

There's sort of a cottage industry of web-types trying to make a living ripping whatever the Pac proposes. Based on dismal history, it's pretty low-hanging fruit. I'm already on record as voting for the Big XII (which would presumably have a western division as "the new Pac"), rather than waiting for Oregon, Washington, and Stanford to bail at the first opportunity and leave everybody else essentially stranded in a MWC. But, having said that, the CW thing is one of the better TV options for the Pac that I've heard so far. If the money's comparable, they're in every TV market in the country, either by cable or over the air. Channel 11 in New York, and Channel 5 in LA are monsters. I believe they also cater to a younger audience of cable-cutters with their prime time programming, which would probably be a good thing. I'm sure, like with all networks who shell out for sports programming, Nexstar (CW ownership) would dictate windows. In that case, I'd go against the grain again and suggest more Friday football games, and more Friday and Sunday men's basketball games for exposure, rather than reserving slots for "olympic" sports that only alums care about. And, fan howling aside, maybe you need some games that start at 5 pm PT to get into the 8 pm ET slot, instead of the Pac's traditional move of ignoring that group of 150 million people. The P12N was a failure in trying to be all things to all people. The non-marquee stuff needs to go back to local school-run streaming.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have zero issue with the CW. We could be their bell cow in sports. If we are going to stay in this dreadful conference, then this wouldn’t be as bad as being buried on a streamer
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

The optics of it aren’t great (but when are they in this two-bit conference?), but at least we would be over the air and on cable as well as DirecTv.

If the offer is for $25M a team, the remaining PAC teams will be the laughingstock of college athletics.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The CW Network isn't optimal, but we are far passed the possibility of getting an optimal deal. The PAC needs to take the best available at this point, and the CW has some good things going for it. The CW had 197 affiliated channels broadcasting OTA (over-the-air) across the US, meaning games on CW won't require any subscription. Just an antenna. The CW App for phones is also well established and included free on many streaming subscriptions like Apple TV and Roku. And, while CW isn't known for sports, they did just make a huge investment in LIV Golf, and may be looking to expand their sports offerings in the future.

The negatives have already been mentioned. CW isn't known for sports, and for reasons already mentioned, being a lead-in or being lead-in by LIV Golf doesn't thrill me. Still, if the money is north of $35 million, there's something to be said about controlling start times versus being on FOX or ESPN, where the B1G and SEC will get all the prime time slots respectively. A deal with CW is far from a home run, but depending on the numbers, could be a solid single that can be stretched into a double?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If we are destined to stay on this sinking ship of a conference, getting 35m per team would be a home run in my opinion.

We would be on an easy to find linear provider. We would have much better start times, we would conceivably be their flag ship college programming and they would pour lots of advertising at the conference on evening TV programs they broadcast.

Of course we have heard so many things and here we are in mid April with no deal and so doubt anything gets done before the end of the month. Tick tock George
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Anyone know anything about these Colorado rumors?
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

In the new Marchand and Ourand pod they talk about the CW being a nothingburger and that the PAC is basically flailing around talking to anyone who will pick up the phone.

Get us out of this corpse of a conference.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Not surprised the old guard like Marchand and Ourand feel they way they do about CW. 30 years ago, the old guard felt the same way about Fox. How could a network anchored by Star Trek TNG, the Simpsons, and Jerry Springer ever be serious about broadcasting live sports? Is Bart Simpson going to come out during half time? Will players be throwing chairs at one-another as the crowd starts chanting, "Jerry...Jerry...Jerry," were some of the jokes du jour at the time.

Today, of course, FOX is one of the two largest players in the live sports broadcasting field. Not saying the CW will follow suit. Just saying that everything large usually has a humble beginning. Heck, ESPN used to broadcast mini-golf and Australian Rules Football long before it became the world-wide leader.

It really comes down to money. If the money is good enough, why shouldn't we be broadcast on a OTA channel with 191 affiliates across the US?
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:11 am Not surprised the old guard like Marchand and Ourand feel they way they do about CW.
Did you listen to the podcast?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

"I got the impression that Colorado and Arizona were waiting for one of the others to make a decision," Smoak said. "If Colorado did than Arizona would. Utah I'm not sure where they are right now....I'm not sure how the timing is going to work."
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Finally some positive news.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:23 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:11 am Not surprised the old guard like Marchand and Ourand feel they way they do about CW.
Did you listen to the podcast?
The reason I ask is that they didn’t express any feelings about the CW one way or the other really. Just related that there is definitely no deal with them imminent, and that the chances of getting a deal done with the CW is pretty much nil at this point.

The larger theme is that the PAC is still talking to anyone who will listen but there’s no urgency on the part of any media company to lock up the conference. Media companies have to want to broadcast our games and there’s just not a ton of interest in us at the moment. In my opinion, that lack of interest and urgency means the teams will not get the per year money they are looking for.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Tough to go to market when there isn’t any market.

If the Presidents shot down the streaming option as the vast provider of games, Then it appears the conference is on its literal death bed.

I read one guy said that the conference would wait until late summer to implode but to me that sounds foolish on our part. Move swiftly and lock in our spot
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I don’t know if these Colorado rumors mean their exit is imminent but we should be right on their heels. The only reason to stay in the PAC is if the money is right, but it’s looking way less likely it will be.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Just personal opinion, but I'd be shocked if Colorado wants to voluntarily leave the PAC for the BIG 12. They left the BIG 12 when the conference had Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. The conference has replaced those schools with a lot of Group of 5 teams like Cincinnati, C. Florida, and BYU. Hard to think that the PAC, even without the LA schools, isn't more desirable for Colorado.

I also don't think we move conferences without ASu, given our Board of Regents. If we get a decent deal in the BIG12 along with Colorado, but ASu is left out, think the AZ BOR gives their stamp of approval? Probably not. All this talk about Arizona and Colorado being ready to jump is, in my opinion, just talk.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:19 am Get us out of this corpse of a conference.
This mindset plays exactly into the hands of what espn wants
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:46 am Tough to go to market when there isn’t any market.

Yep. Because Pac-12 fans and alumni suck and espn knew they could take advantage of it
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:58 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:19 am Get us out of this corpse of a conference.
ESPN is as grossed out by a rotting corpse as I am? Those assholes!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:52 am Just personal opinion, but I'd be shocked if Colorado wants to voluntarily leave the PAC for the BIG 12. They left the BIG 12 when the conference had Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. The conference has replaced those schools with a lot of Group of 5 teams like Cincinnati, C. Florida, and BYU. Hard to think that the PAC, even without the LA schools, isn't more desirable for Colorado.

I also don't think we move conferences without ASu, given our Board of Regents. If we get a decent deal in the BIG12 along with Colorado, but ASu is left out, think the AZ BOR gives their stamp of approval? Probably not. All this talk about Arizona and Colorado being ready to jump is, in my opinion, just talk.
Colorado left the Big XII because of Texas and Oklahoma.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

:lol:
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Yeah it's what espn wants... and so does everyone else.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:46 am
Tell me what espn is doing here then
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:07 pm
Why don't you? You brought them up.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

KillerKlown wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:01 pm
Yeah it's what espn wants... and so does everyone else.
IT'S A CONSPIRACY!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

All I know is that if it wasn’t for the so-called fans like me, the PAC-10 would be the PAC-20 and we would have won every national championship going back two decades and that makes you so mad that you have no choice but to demand an apology from anyone and everyone.

Your pound of flesh is in the mail I swear.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:15 pm
All I know is that if it wasn’t for the so-called fans like me, the PAC-10 would be the PAC-20 and we would have won every national championship going back two decades and that makes you so mad that you have no choice but to demand an apology from anyone and everyone.

I am not attacking but you clearly don’t get the major role espn has to do with all of this

No one is talking about it. And screaming to go to the Big12 is exactly what they want. That is my whole point

I asked you a serious question and you were unable to give a serious answer. UA and CU seem to be diving right into espn's plan. Not saying that is a overall bad thing but it is clearly what you want and you are completely blind to their plan
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Everyone knows ESPN'S plan but what can we do about it? We can't make them magically pay us $35 million/year. Through years of mismanagement, we have put ourselves in this weak position. Now we need to put ourselves in the best position going forward to succeed. Believe me, I want to stay in the pac but not if it puts us in a weaker position going forward
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:51 pm
CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:15 pm

I am not attacking but you clearly don’t get the major role espn has to do with all of this

No one is talking about it. And screaming to go to the Big12 is exactly what they want. That is my whole point

I asked you a serious question and you were unable to give a serious answer. UA and CU seem to be diving right into espn's plan. Not saying that is a overall bad thing but it is clearly what you want and you are completely blind to their plan
You admit that this plan isn’t necessarily a bad thing for us, so why are you so fired up about it?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

There is no question the networks are pushing for the collapse of the PAC. They have zero incentive to prop up the remaining conference members when they could push an elite basketball school line AZ to the B12 and get the pacific football powers to join the B1G at a discount. They could then send afloat the rest of the conference unwantables
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

When one's own self interest briefly aligns with a corrupt and grotesquely bias broadcaster's self interest ..... oh never mind.

~ Wilhoit's Law