Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CardiacCats97

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:24 pm UA is far better for the Big Ten than Oregon
Have you been eating paint chips?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

FSU and Clemson have also been heavily rumoured to be going to the B1G recently, now add the bay schools and NW schools. Of course there's Notre Dame. Then probably Duke, UNC etc

Arizona is nowhere near the top of list in joining the B1G
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:24 pm UA is far better for the Big Ten than Oregon and Cal are
Clearly not. Give it up.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

arizonawildcats wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:28 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:24 pm UA is far better for the Big Ten than Oregon and Cal are
Clearly not. Give it up.
In the past 6 months I have read probably 40-50 articles quoting B1G/SEC sources regarding expansion. The UA has NEVER been brought up.

A couple of posters like to keep beating the same dead horse.
Last edited by dmjcat on Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arizonawildcats

dmjcat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:30 pm
arizonawildcats wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:28 pm
Clearly not. Give it up.
In the past 6 months I have read probably 40-50 articles quoting BiG/SEC sources regarding expansion. The UA has NEVER been brought up.

A couple of posters like to keep beating the same dead horse.
He's either trolling or delusional. It's obnoxious either way.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

How long is it going to take for you to accept they don't want us? You don't think he hasn't done every due diligence? Even if they did happen to want us for a half share, we are behind Oregon Washington Cal Stanford and they also know Big Ten half shares are more than Big 12 full. Not to mention non Pac schools they'd rather have, Notre Dame FSU and Clemson.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hey guys, what did I miss?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Cal to me reads as a placeholder for another entity (ND).
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:42 pm Hey guys, what did I miss?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Looks like they want to go ahead of the Pac schools
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

FSU just wants someone to tell them they’re pretty.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I would agree Arizona to the B1G ship has sailed. Even with ASu getting into the AAU, there are better options for the B1G. Arizona has a better academic profile than Oregon, but Oregon has Uncle Phil.

We would still be a consideration for the SEC, if they ever choose to expand west. This happens, ESPN drops the BIG12 and pays for a coast-to-coast SEC super conference. But the SEC seems content remaining in the SouthEast, which means plan B for ESPN. And that's paying the BIG12 teams for 4th window content at a significant discount as compared to the SEC.

Fox would have all the top west coast teams with LA and ORWA, but at a B1G premium. Even at half shares, FOX will be paying more per school than ESPN for full share BIG12 teams. When you think of 4th window profitability, T1 BIG12 games will generate similar profits as T1 B1G games.

The drawback for the BIG12 is it cements it's place as a distant third conference in football. And who goes around chanting, "We're a distant third! We're a distant third!?!" The positive is, it's likely the best of a bad situation, and the BIG12 would likely have enough fire power to remain a power conference and prevent the SEC and B1G from excluding all others from NCAA football playoffs.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CHICAT YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD! YOUR BARSTOOL IS STILL RIGHT WHERE YOU LEFT IT!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:03 pm FSU just wants someone to tell them they’re pretty.

Hahah, so thirsty.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:03 pm I would agree Arizona to the B1G ship has sailed. Even with ASu getting into the AAU, there are better options for the B1G. Arizona has a better academic profile than Oregon, but Oregon has Uncle Phil.

We would still be a consideration for the SEC, if they ever choose to expand west. This happens, ESPN drops the BIG12 and pays for a coast-to-coast SEC super conference. But the SEC seems content remaining in the SouthEast, which means plan B for ESPN. And that's paying the BIG12 teams for 4th window content at a significant discount as compared to the SEC.

Fox would have all the top west coast teams with LA and ORWA, but at a B1G premium. Even at half shares, FOX will be paying more per school than ESPN for full share BIG12 teams. When you think of 4th window profitability, T1 BIG12 games will generate similar profits as T1 B1G games.

The drawback for the BIG12 is it cements it's place as a distant third conference in football. And who goes around chanting, "We're a distant third! We're a distant third!?!" The positive is, it's likely the best of a bad situation, and the BIG12 would likely have enough fire power to remain a power conference and prevent the SEC and B1G from excluding all others from NCAA football playoffs.
I know this ain’t about BB, but damn wtihbBB season comes what better than the B12
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:05 pm
Aww you missed me . . . wait, is that a rusty thumbtack on that stool?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Oregon and Washington are just waiting for their Big10 invite.

I really don't understand those that can't see that the Pac is already dead...

We have a lifeboat....
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So someone please tell me Robbins already made the deal to go to the Big 12 so I can put away my Dr. Bobby voodoo doll.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Wilner's really something. We could "link arms with the richest, most influential, most innovative, savviest, smartest company in the world." Woo-hoo! And "Yep, the schools are already (and smartly) thinking about...2029" Talk about slapping cosmetic products on a boar. Yeah, and we're going to have our own TV network, and it'll promote all the "Olympic" sports, and we're going to take over the Pacific Rim, and we just have to be patient and have vision. Thank you, Mr. Consultant. Having been burned again and again by grifters' promises...we'll take the $30M+ now and we'll just have to live with people calling us short-sighted. Appreciate your time. I think you know your way out.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/08/02/ ... pple-deal/
arizonawildcats

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:03 pm We would still be a consideration for the SEC, if they ever choose to expand west.
I'm in consideration for Margot Robbie by the same logic.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

arizonawildcats wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:20 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:03 pm We would still be a consideration for the SEC, if they ever choose to expand west.
I'm in consideration for Margot Robbie by the same logic.
You might have a better shot.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Stop AzCat...please for the love of God...stop.

I know you somehow rationalize those thoughts in your brain and to you it makes sense. The problem is you keep stating the same thing over and fucking over again and only your bunkmate at the sanitarium is drinking the kool-aide.

It's not convincing anyone else, period. There is not a snowballs chance in hell either the B1G or SEC is coming within sniffing distance of Arizona no matter how your T1/Window/3rd Banana brain tries to reason it.
Last edited by EastCoastCat on Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:17 pm Oregon and Washington are just waiting for their Big10 invite.

I really don't understand those that can't see that the Pac is already dead...

We have a lifeboat....
A couple of our posters want to go down with the ship

AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

CalStateTempe wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:10 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:03 pm I would agree Arizona to the B1G ship has sailed. Even with ASu getting into the AAU, there are better options for the B1G. Arizona has a better academic profile than Oregon, but Oregon has Uncle Phil.

I know this ain’t about BB, but damn wtihbBB season comes what better than the B12
College football dominates Saturdays for 3 1/2 months. People only care about college basketball for two extended weekends in March and the first weekend in April. Being #1 in Basketball is nice, but money talks, and the BIG12 would still be a distant third when it comes to payments.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:19 pm Wilner's really something.
Will be so happy not to ever come across his thoughts on Arizona ever again. Reason enough to join a new conference.

Now if we could only get rid of Hansen too. Maybe he’ll stay on the Utah beat.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:18 pm So someone please tell me Robbins already made the deal to go to the Big 12 so I can put away my Dr. Bobby voodoo doll.
Nobody can tell you that but given the fact that the ABOR had a closed door session it appears that the wheels are already in motion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:16 pm
Buy a round for the house and have a seat. We're all bleeding out the ass so you're just in time.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:29 pm
Buy a round for the house and have a seat. We're all bleeding out the ass so you're just in time.
My fun money portfolio sure is…😉
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:31 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:29 pm
My fun money portfolio sure is…😉
(Off topic: I've been seeing NIO lately and wondering about your side hustle)

~ Wilhoit's Law
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:22 pm Stop AzCat...please for the love of God...stop.

I know you somehow rationalize those thoughts in your brain and to you it makes sense. The problem is you keep stating the same thing over and fucking over again and only your bunkmate at the sanitarium is drinking the kool-aide.

It's not convincing anyone else, period. There is not a snowballs chance in hell either the B1G or SEC is coming within sniffing distance of Arizona no matter how your T1/Window/3rd Banana brain tries to reason it.
It's not just me saying this makes sense. It's been college sports pundits and TV execs who have been pushing the idea of two super conferences in college football. Think about the TV revenue of 24 SEC teams and 24 B1G teams. 4, 6-team divisions in each. Teams play each team in their division, 1 team from each remaining division within conference, and 1 team from each of the 4 divisions in the other conference. 12 games, with major matchups and playoff implications every week, culminating in a 12-team playoff with 6 schools from each conference. It would be ratings bonanza, and allow ESPN and FOX to drop the BIG12 and ACC, because they wouldn't be needed.

This only works if both the SEC and B1G go coast-to-coast. The B1G is almost there. The SEC is holding out. But if they do eventually agree, they would need 6 teams in the west for its division, and the B1G would have to add 4 more as of right now. Tell me, are there 10 schools better than Arizona in this scenario?

The NFL makes sense for ESPN, FOX, and the other TV cohorts. They are the ones with the power of the purse strings. Will it even come to fruition? I have no idea. But it not only makes sense to me, but plenty of insiders who have been writing about this potential future for about a decade. It's the 2nd scenario discussed here, and includes a YouTube Finebaum link discussing the exact same thing (https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... gl7subdzij)
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Why would espn let FSU and Clemson go? They would not have them go and then pay the: double to be in the SEC and they would not have them go to their rival networks
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Interesting tweet, brake it down for those of us that eat crayons?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

CalStateTempe wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:41 pm Interesting tweet, brake it down for those of us that eat crayons?
Wilner has been carrying water for the PAC and he's now saying it's done
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Yes please, and also the reason we need to get on the train fast

UConn is already on deck if we say no
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Who are these people?
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:24 pm
TheCatInTheHat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:19 pm Wilner's really something.
Will be so happy not to ever come across his thoughts on Arizona ever again. Reason enough to join a new conference.

Now if we could only get rid of Hansen too. Maybe he’ll stay on the Utah beat.
No such luck. I seem to recall he's retired from full-time work in Tucson and just submitting occasional columns from home. But, while there are some downsides in terms of travel and weather and losing the hoops tourney in Vegas, there are also upsides. For example, time zones...with at least most road games figuring to start earlier. And officiating. I don't know of a single Wildcat fan who isn't fed up with the bias and ticky-tack calls we've seen for years. With Texas and Oklahoma gone, I don't really know who in the Big XII would get star treatment, other than maybe Kansas hoops. And I don't think we'll get anything like the "beat LA" and "how's it going, Hollywood" stuff the LA schools will almost certainly get in the Big Ten.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

84Cat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:26 pm Who are these people?
This guy has been fired many times from four radio stations for lying
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fuck ASU. Let them join the new Mountain West.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I think this is all going to play out by next week. The Big 10 is discussing not only Oregon and Washington, but a lot of schools. The ACC may be torn apart. Of course ESPN controls the ACC and SEC. The SEC will get first pick. This is one of the most exciting times for sports during the summer I can remember. I have no idea what is going to happen.

What I see is the BIG and SEC are football conferences (SEC is much better right now). And the Big 12 is a basketball powerhouse. The Cats obviously belong in the Big 12. We want to go and the Big 12 wants us. The Big 12 may be rated the 3rd best conference but that can change. I think we are looking at a P3. The Big 12 will hold their own in football.

Arizona has a national brand. They are an attractive team because they will draw eyeballs in basketball. I think the Cats can excel in football too. The stars haven't lined up though. We have been close at times. If we can keep Fisch...

By next week I believe the Cats will be part of the Big 12 in 2024. This is the most fun summer I've had in sports for some time. It puts my analytical mind in overdrive. Top that off with the Cubs making a run.

P.S. I feel sorry for Oregon State. They deserve better than the hand they are about to be dealt.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Fuck ASU! I knew it was too good to be true.
Mike Luke's burner account.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fuck asu. Sucks we have to bring Tempe normal with us. I want them to whither in the MWC
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

There is smoke that the Cats are being considered for the B1G. And it all has to do with brand. Arizona's basketball brand is blue blood. It is just rumor right now but things are moving fast. Arizona's academic program fits with the B1G. Exciting times. I still think UA joins the Big XII. But, I will be eating popcorn for the next couple of weeks.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Love it form a fun to think about standpoint, still think we are going B12. Can you share the link?
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

I understand money talks but personally I'd rather join the Big12. More regional and a better fit culturally but i understand regions don't mean anything now in this new era. My 2cents.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:57 pm Love it form a fun to think about standpoint, still think we are going B12. Can you share the link?
I am following the Cats on 247. Like I said it is just rumor. I still think the Cats are going to the Big 12. In any case when the football season starts the Pac-12 will be on their death bed.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Catintheheat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:56 pm There is smoke that the Cats are being considered for the B1G. And it all has to do with brand. Arizona's basketball brand is blue blood. It is just rumor right now but things are moving fast. Arizona's academic program fits with the B1G. Exciting times. I still think UA joins the Big XII. But, I will be eating popcorn for the next couple of weeks.
Yeah, saw that but doubt we leapfrog several schools

Everyone on this board would need to personally kiss the ass of phxcat if that happened
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Nothing.