Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:29 pm In what universe does being in the Mountain West, getting absolutely murdered in recruiting, never getting seen by anyone who matters, falling totally out of the national conversation, and receiving $10M-$15M per year while other schools get two and three times that amount so they can pay top notch coaches and maintain or upgrade their facilities, and reach a level of success that would be totally unachievable by mid-major Arizona, get us closer to being in the Big10??

You have to have your head so far up your ass you’re using your dick as a periscope to believe that is true. Or you just want to be the board contrarian because negative attention is better than no attention at all. Either way, what a dumbshit take.
After a long absence you're still sugarcoating it. :twisted:
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:44 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:19 pm
CalStateTempe wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:16 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:01 pm
CalStateTempe wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:58 pm

😂😂😂💀💀

That’s a good one.
You are a doctor right? This is like residency. Sucks short term but is necessary. Now we are graduating med school and becoming nurses.
That is an incredibly simplistic way of looking at this, and not at all, like the profession your alluding to.
Not perfect obviously but the point is delivered.

Ugh…for the of playing with you, this is as if arizona enters a 7 year plastics residency ending in 2030 (lots of $$$$ at the end) only to be told at the end they they have to do public health (much lesss money after all that time lost)

You now cost discounting over a long time horizon? A dollar today is more valuable than a dollar tomorrow.

Didn’t you say you were a CPA?
Imagine a CPA with no grasp of inflation and duration risk. Machina is long the the 30 year bond.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:48 pm
azcat49 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:43 pm The PAC still has a P5 moniker and an entry into the CFP given a few things. The two remaining schools take the Apple money and raid the MWC?

I don’t know but I am rooting for Oregon St and WAZZU to figure it out
There's no apple money with only two small state NW schools

I'm guessing if the B1G only takes two schools this time, the Bay schools go independent
It’d be hilarious to see cal go independent and whore itself out as easy wins for cash to the big boys.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The BIG12 will always be a distant third at best to the B1G and SEC. And who chants, "We’re a distant third!" Nobody.

Still, if the PAC is collapsing, and the B1G isn't calling, the BIG12 becomes our only real option. Short term, it's the best of a bad situation. Long term, it could be awful if the big 2 decide to jettison itself and lame everyone else out of the college football playoffs, then the BIG12 will become the next PAC in 5 years.

Not sure if this future ever comes to fruition, however. Especially if the SEC refuses to expand west. Plus, the BIG12 and ACC leftovers could have enough basketball prowess to say if the big 2 go on their own for football, say goodbye to March Madness as we know it.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:06 pm The BIG12 will always be a distant third at best to the B1G and SEC. And who chants, "We’re a distant third!" Nobody.

Still, if the PAC is collapsing, and the B1G isn't calling, the BIG12 becomes our only real option. Short term, it's the best of a bad situation. Long term, it could be awful if the big 2 decide to jettison itself and lame everyone else out of the college football playoffs, then the BIG12 will become the next PAC in 5 years.

Not sure if this future ever comes to fruition, however. Especially if the SEC refuses to expand west. Plus, the BIG12 and ACC leftovers could have enough basketball prowess to say if the big 2 go on their own for football, say goodbye to March Madness as we know it.
A multi-factorial future, and aren't they all, is largely determined by individual will. A collapsing conference, or even a distant third place conference, doesn't determine that individuation, as clearly we are seeing highly individuated schools shift at will from one conference to another. And even the conferences' structures themselves are changing, adding more uncertainty and factor variation to constantly emerging scenarios. I probably know less about this aspect of the college sports world than any poster on BDW, but some behavioral economics are generic across differing social/competitive arenas. Whatever may happen to the Big12 is clearly better than what is happening to the Pac, so it pays to jump. Subsequent to that, 5 years is a lifetime in a high delta environment, and it's unlikely the rate of delta will decline.

*Edit Compare conference realignment to the changing nature of the job market and the hybrid work-from-home post-covid scenario: it pays on average over 10% to quit jobs and go to a new employer if you have the slightest complaint with the job you currently have.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:50 pm
Chicat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:29 pm In what universe does being in the Mountain West, getting absolutely murdered in recruiting, never getting seen by anyone who matters, falling totally out of the national conversation, and receiving $10M-$15M per year while other schools get two and three times that amount so they can pay top notch coaches and maintain or upgrade their facilities, and reach a level of success that would be totally unachievable by mid-major Arizona, get us closer to being in the Big10??

You have to have your head so far up your ass you’re using your dick as a periscope to believe that is true. Or you just want to be the board contrarian because negative attention is better than no attention at all. Either way, what a dumbshit take.
I’m just trying to get back into game shape.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:11 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:50 pm

I’m just trying to get back into game shape.
Yer a starter dude, ya gotta be hot right from tip off. It was good from the 3 point arc but it grazed the rim.

~ Wilhoit's Law
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:06 pm The BIG12 will always be a distant third at best to the B1G and SEC. And who chants, "We’re a distant third!" Nobody.

You’re ignoring the fact that IF they expand west in 2030, we might not even be considered after being more poor and worse off when recruiting takes a dive because we can’t keep up. They’d run straight to the ACC.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:03 pm FSU just wants someone to tell them they’re pretty.
Don’t they get enough Free Shoes?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

To sum it up:

Arizona is all in on moving to the Big 12 and is furthest along in conversations, met with Big 12 commissioner on Tuesday.

ASU and Crow needed to be convinced, but finally agreed it's best to move and had a meeting with Big 12 commissioner today.

Utah is the most stubborn in wanting to stay. Their president is "heartbroken" over this decision, Utah getting cold feet could potentially screw things up, but it sounds like it's pretty much a done deal.

There's a Big 12 meeting tomorrow before our ABOR meeting where they'll vote to let us and ASU in. The ABOR meeting is discussing that vote and basically us and ASU saying we want to go to the Big 12, and ABOR saying okay. Then Friday it's publicly announced. What happens in the meeting should leak out so we'll all know what happened.

Colorado has been gone for months.

Basically what MHver3 has been saying on Twitter, just with some more details. Scheer summed the whole thing up as us, ASU, and Utah moving to the Big 12 as done of a deal as it can be without it being official. I'm keeping my fingers crossed nothing unexpected happens at the last minute.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:48 pm
azcat49 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:43 pm The PAC still has a P5 moniker and an entry into the CFP given a few things. The two remaining schools take the Apple money and raid the MWC?

I don’t know but I am rooting for Oregon St and WAZZU to figure it out
There's no apple money with only two small state NW schools

I'm guessing if the B1G only takes two schools this time, the Bay schools go independent
I could see a faint chance Oregon ends up in the Big 12, at least for a stint. As matter of fact I could see Oregon and Cal in Big 12 and Stanford and Washington in B1G. Academics for Oregon and Cal because of Cal. Cal while obviously being very academically inclined loses a bit with their lackluster fan participation. Also Oregon does have a solid BBall program, Phil Knight money, and a general inclination to want to be the top dog. Much easier to do that in B12 rather than B1G, both in Foosball and Basketball. Probably be temporary nonetheless.
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I hate to see Crow rewarded after the part he has played in ruining the conference.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:24 am I hate to see Crow rewarded after the part he has played in ruining the conference.
While I agree we can't do anything about the past fuck ups - and people at the forefront of those inept management decisions - so it's time to pack our bags and get out of this shitstorm of a conference.

As I've said, I grew up as a PAC guy but sentimentality be damned. Ready to turn the page NOW!

Oh, and just think how much fun it will be hearing from Enfuego when we play Kansas. :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:24 am I hate to see Crow rewarded after the part he has played in ruining the conference.
I hate it too. He’s as much to blame as anyone, especially letting the former commissioner royally screw up everything without consequence.

But I also don’t want to see the rivalry go away.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I know ...Fuck ASU and all...

But once it sinks in when our 1st Big 12 schedule is released and you see it filled with teams like Iowa St, Texas Tech, Kansas St... I think we will all feel a little more at home with ASU on our schedule.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

It’s gonna feel like PlayStation random teams meeting up football for a few seasons ngl.

But yeah, I’m excited for this
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Selfishly, I’m excited for games in Ames and Cincinnati since I can drive there. And the flight to KC for the bball tourney is like an hour and a half.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:41 am Selfishly, I’m excited for games in Ames and Cincinnati since I can drive there. And the flight to KC for the bball tourney is like an hour and a half.
Screw holding the B12 BBall tourney in Cowtown (Kansas City).

With the 4 corner schools in the league........and BYU, I smell a chance to move the tourney to Vegas. If I'm UCF/West Virginia and I have to fly to get to the tournament, I would rather fly to Vegas than Cowtown. I think there are at least 7 votes to move the tourney. Get to work on it Heeke/Robbins
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:59 am
Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:41 am Selfishly, I’m excited for games in Ames and Cincinnati since I can drive there. And the flight to KC for the bball tourney is like an hour and a half.

With the 4 corner schools in the league........and BYU, I smell a chance to move the tourney to Vegas. If I'm UCF/West Virginia and I have to fly to get to the tournament, I would rather fly to Vegas than Cowtown. I think there are at least 7 votes to move the tourney. Get to work on it Heeke/Robbins
Why must you destroy the little joy living in the Midwest affords me? :lol:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m gonna miss games at cal and furd. But I’ll find a way….

This might maje so I get to Tucson way more often.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:15 am

Would you rather fly 1.5 hours to be surrounded by a bunch of Jayhawk fans chanting Rock Chalk like a bunch of Druids

Or would you rather fly 3 hours to Vegas to be surrounded by this??

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:22 pm
arizonawildcats wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:20 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:03 pm We would still be a consideration for the SEC, if they ever choose to expand west.
I'm in consideration for Margot Robbie by the same logic.
You might have a better shot.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Glad to see you back with all this positivity :lol:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Scum are you in the Midwest these days? I seem remember that might be in the cards
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

scumdevils86 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:30 am

Glad to see you back with all this positivity :lol:
I am just happy he is back. Board has been a bit dead this Summer. Now that Merkin is taking his "break" I was a little worried the board might become a ghost town. Thank God for Larry Scott, he might have actually saved BDW despite destroying the PAC 12.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:30 am I know ...Fuck ASU and all...

But once it sinks in when our 1st Big 12 schedule is released and you see it filled with teams like Iowa St, Texas Tech, Kansas St... I think we will all feel a little more at home with ASU on our schedule.
We could easily see a Big XII West for football comprised of the following:

Arizona
ASU
BYU
Utah
Colorado
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor

That wouldn't feel all that unfamiliar or involve much horrible travel. And if we play 8 conference games, we'd just be rotating a team from the Big XII East each year, and even that would be a home game every other year.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

With my daughter attending Michigan I'm hunting you down for that missed dinner in 2022 in Chicago (with '97) when we got sent to SA instead. :(

We got a lot to talk about... :lol:
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:28 am

Would you rather fly 1.5 hours to be surrounded by a bunch of Jayhawk fans chanting Rock Chalk like a bunch of Druids

Rather be in Dallas since it's central to everyone, football 'ship is already in jerryworld so it makes sense.

And i doubt we'd dominate with our fanbase anymore because the pac 12 fanbases have extreme apathy and the big 12 doesn't.

If it is in Vegas, Vegas will be Turks & Caicos compared to the small cold Midwest cities, so they'll flock in huge numbers.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Lol at the fact that crow was happy with that apple deal
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:04 am

Rather be in Dallas since it's central to everyone, football 'ship is already in jerryworld so it makes sense.
I like that idea a lot.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:13 am Lol at the fact that crow was happy with that apple deal
What a clown. And I bet after the dust settles he tries to act like he was always for exploring other conferences.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:04 am

And i doubt we'd dominate with our fanbase anymore because the pac 12 fanbases have extreme apathy and the big 12 doesn't.

If it is in Vegas, Vegas will be Turks & Caicos compared to the small cold Midwest cities, so they'll flock in huge numbers.
Agree completely that we would not dominate due to the B12 having much better fanbases.......but do you really want to cede the home court advantage to Kansas....which is just down the road in Lawrence?? The travel would be much easier for the UA in Vegas which would result in much better turnout for the UA and much lower turnout for the ChickenHawks
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:27 am
Agree completely that we would not dominate due to the B12 having much better fanbases.......but do you really want to cede the home court advantage to Kansas....which is just down the road in Lawrence?? The travel would be much easier for the UA in Vegas which would result in much better turnout for the UA and much lower turnout for the ChickenHawks
Apparently it's Iowa st that dominates KC lol

Anyway, let Arizona play through some adversity

Being so dominant and always having a home court is too comforting and makes them soft. Let them play out of their comfort zone.
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Changing the location of the Big 12 tourney to Vegas is not happening. For one, Kansas City is where basketball started. And the Big 12 tourney is a big event. The whole city prepares for a fun week. I'm happy with it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am not saying stay in the PAC-12 MWC whatever it is.

But UA could making the CFP a lot if they were to stay and the CFP selection rules don't change
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Yeah just keep it in KC, let them play through even more adversity.

Arizona basically plays a home game or empty atmosphere every single game in the pac 12 and in Vegas.

I honestly think that this makes the teams soft by being too in their comfort zone and not able to adjust in March, it sort of lulls them into a false sense of security.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

They really are lucky to have us as thier big brother.
Mike Luke's burner account.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

KillerKlown wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:02 am They really are lucky to have us as thier big brother.
Basically:

ABOR Mom- you can’t go play with Baylor and TT in Texas unless you take your dumber brother

UofA - but Mooooommmmm?! Why?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Kansas City Power & Light District is very cool and underrated. I'm too washed up for Vegas anymore lol. Almost 30 and still think I'm in college whenever I go.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:34 am
Would take some time to litigate but that’s even fewer B1G/SEC slots for those still believing we’ve got a shot at getting an invite.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:57 am
Would take some time to litigate but that’s even fewer B1G/SEC slots for those still believing we’ve got a shot at getting an invite.
You'd think Florida State and Clemson would be a no-brainer, unless somebody thinks they'd have an easier path to the CFP in the ACC, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And the playoffs should expand to 8 or 16 teams before long.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:11 am
You'd think Florida State and Clemson would be a no-brainer, unless somebody thinks they'd have an easier path to the CFP in the ACC, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And the playoffs should expand to 8 or 16 teams before long.
It goes to 12 next year

Espn ain't letting Clemson or FSU or Miami go yo the B1G
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Also the big 12 should only take Arizona and try to get VA tech, Miami, Pitt etc