Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Catintheheat

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by Catintheheat »

I could see ESPN letting the SEC have first pick and letting ACC schools out of their contract. Then they might let the ACC dissolve.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:18 am Wolken nails it

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 519616007/
Yep, end of an era and I don't think there is any way to turn back ever again unfortunately
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:34 am
All 8 have landing spots right now? Hmmm...I can see FSU and Clemson, then NC and Miami. Not sure about the rest.

Hey, maybe they all love streaming and will join the Pac-tanic?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

A real battle between Fox and ESPIN is brewing.

I think these networks want fewer conferences to work their pocketbook kind of like the 1 league approach of the NFL

Two 20 team leagues with 10 team divisions (4) and they play it off from there. Going yo be a real power group and then a sun group which the Big 12 will likely be in
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That would be so dope Rondae
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Anything that kills or weakens espin I’m all for
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:41 am
Alieberman wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:30 am I know ...Fuck ASU and all...

But once it sinks in when our 1st Big 12 schedule is released and you see it filled with teams like Iowa St, Texas Tech, Kansas St... I think we will all feel a little more at home with ASU on our schedule.
We could easily see a Big XII West for football comprised of the following:

Arizona
ASU
BYU
Utah
Colorado
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor

That wouldn't feel all that unfamiliar or involve much horrible travel. And if we play 8 conference games, we'd just be rotating a team from the Big XII East each year, and even that would be a home game every other year.
It's my understanding that the Big XII has zero interest in divisions.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I say blow it all up and have the Big 3 Conferences have a draft of schools.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

:lol: :lol:

Holy Shit the pac 12 essentially has no deal

"The longer we wait the better the deal gets" George
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:41 am :lol: :lol:

And crow/asu/machina want to “stick it out”
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The TV Networks would love to have a NFL style arrangement with the B1G acting as the AFC, and the SEC acting as the NFC. Would have plenty of eyeballs and lowest costs, resulting in being most profitable. Question is, would it work if the SEC has zero teams in the Mountain and Pacific time zones, meaning no 4th window content? The 4th window is the least profitable window, but it's still profitable. And more viewers in the Atlantic and Central time zones will stay up to watch Michigan at Washington, especially if the game has playoff implications, which makes the 4th window potentially even more profitable.

I think we're headed to a a scenario where we have 3 super conferences, around 20 teams each. The SEC and B1G will take the top brands from the ACC if/when they disband. The BIG12 will pick up the rest. ESPN will just have to be happy with the SEC, which will have the best schools in the area of the country where college football is the most watched, with the most fans. ESPN will get it's west-coast content from the BIG12. Won't be as popular as B1G content, but ESPN won't be paying a SEC premium for the BIG12 either.

The question becomes, how sustainable will the BIG12 be, long-term, making about half the money as the big 2?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:22 am Two 20 team leagues with 10 team divisions (4) and they play it off from there. Going yo be a real power group and then a sun group which the Big 12 will likely be in
The "Power-40"

With relegation - replace lowest four teams annually - one per "division"

Survival of the fittest!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

espn has great value in the ACC. Why anyone thinks espn is gonna let ACC schools go to the B1G and be competitors or go to the SEC and have to pay way more to those schools is beyond crazy
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:51 am
RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:41 am :lol: :lol:

And crow/asu/machina want to “stick it out”
Remember when I said IF it means the B1G in five years? Of course you do
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Excellent read on how the PAC12 screwed things up

https://www.on3.com/os/news/the-endange ... -ucla-usc/
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:18 pm Excellent read on how the PAC12 screwed things up

https://www.on3.com/os/news/the-endange ... -ucla-usc/
Great article and solidified what I’ve new thinking is the number one reason for Arizona to bolt: more than money, rivals, locations, tv, etc etc.

Leadership.

Big12’s got it, pac-whatever doesn’t.

Change or die. That’s the only certainty in this world.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:05 pm espn has great value in the ACC. Why anyone thinks espn is gonna let ACC schools go to the B1G and be competitors or go to the SEC and have to pay way more to those schools is beyond crazy
ESPN may have no choice if 8 ACC teams decide to disband the conference. It also might not be a huge issue for ESPN. Any school that goes to the B1G, ESPN won't pay. Any school that goes BIG12 will get paid by ESPN a similar amount, about $20 million a year. So that's a wash. The SEC can and will be very picky about what teams, if any, they add.

If it comes down to 8 ACC schools leaving, and 2 go B1G, 2 go SEC, and 4 go to the BIG12 to make 20, this leaves 8 teams ESPN isn't paying any more. 4 teams where the payments are a wash, and 2 teams in the SEC where ESPN has to fork over $40 million a year more. The math may actually favor ESPN in this case.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:07 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:05 pm espn has great value in the ACC. Why anyone thinks espn is gonna let ACC schools go to the B1G and be competitors or go to the SEC and have to pay way more to those schools is beyond crazy
ESPN may have no choice if 8 ACC teams decide to disband the conference. It also might not be a huge issue for ESPN. Any school that goes to the B1G, ESPN won't pay. Any school that goes BIG12 will get paid by ESPN a similar amount, about $20 million a year. So that's a wash. The SEC can and will be very picky about what teams, if any, they add.

If it comes down to 8 ACC schools leaving, and 2 go B1G, 2 go SEC, and 4 go to the BIG12 to make 20, this leaves 8 teams ESPN isn't paying any more. 4 teams where the payments are a wash, and 2 teams in the SEC where ESPN has to fork over $40 million a year more. The math may actually favor ESPN in this case.
North Carolina
Miami
Clemson
Florida State

All those schools make espn way more than $20 Million a year. No way in hell espn lets them go without a major fight
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:07 am
Utah is the most stubborn in wanting to stay. Their president is "heartbroken" over this decision, Utah getting cold feet could potentially screw things up, but it sounds like it's pretty much a done deal.
Wow, what a CHILD!

How does anyone get as far as this guy does without realizing how cut throat business can be?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

There is a longshot for UA to end up in the Big 10. I think it has to do with the basketball brand, potential in football and willingness for the Cats to expand, and the weather. I do not think it will happen but it does set my mind into dreaming.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Catintheheat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:08 pm There is a longshot for UA to end up in the Big 10. I think it has to do with the basketball brand, potential in football and willingness for the Cats to expand, and the weather. I do not think it will happen but it does set my mind into dreaming.
Plus the Arizona TV market. Plus the Arizona alumni all around the country. Plus other B1G alumni living in Arizona now. Plus academics. Plus culture....
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:12 pm
Catintheheat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:08 pm There is a longshot for UA to end up in the Big 10. I think it has to do with the basketball brand, potential in football and willingness for the Cats to expand, and the weather. I do not think it will happen but it does set my mind into dreaming.
Plus the Arizona TV market. Plus the Arizona alumni all around the country. Plus other B1G alumni living in Arizona now. Plus academics. Plus culture....
The only thing we are missing is the minor detail of the Big10 not wanting anything to do with us.

Other than that....
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I mean maybe in 15 years we could be Big 10 worthy depending on what else is happening? MAYBE? I'm happy just being in the Big 12 for now. Let's see how that works out first.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:23 pm I mean maybe in 15 years we could be Big 10 worthy depending on what else is happening? MAYBE? I'm happy just being in the Big 12 for now. Let's see how that works out first.
It's going to be fun. We are actually going to play in sold out stadiums. And the basketball competition is the best in the country right now. It will definitely be fun. Yet, we have our strengths, especially in fans around the country. I doubt an offer is coming but it is possible. UA has a ton of potential. Football under Jedd Fisch is at a breaking point.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:21 pm
The only thing we are missing is the minor detail of the Big10 not wanting anything to do with us.

Other than that....
You're not listening though! After Oregon, UW, Stanford, Cal, Notre Dame, FSU, Clemson, Miami, we could possibly, maybe, probably not be next in line!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:23 pm I mean maybe in 15 years we could be Big 10 worthy depending on what else is happening? MAYBE? I'm happy just being in the Big 12 for now. Let's see how that works out first.
You mean you wouldn't want to spend 15 years LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER?????
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

btfd16 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:29 pm
Alieberman wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:21 pm

Other than that....
You're not listening though! After Oregon, UW, Stanford, Cal, Notre Dame, FSU, Clemson, Miami, we could possibly, maybe, probably not be next in line!
The ACC has a lot of legal problems because of their current contract. Cal is not worth much in sports. Oregon may not want to take the cut joining the big 10. We might be in line. The Cats have great potential. Although a minor possibility I wouldn't cast it aside until contracts are signed.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I am casting aside. There is zero chance that Arizona is on the B1G radar.

Put it this way, the Michigan’s Ohio State’s etc.. think of Arizona the same way we look at the Mountain West or WCC conference schools.

You think some of the PAC schools think their shit doesn’t stink it’s nothing compared to the Big 10. And the SEC is even worse!

The Big 12 is actually the best place for us to land. The pond is the right size for us. I don’t want to be the WSU or OSU of the Big 10 or SEC. Think Rutgers & Vanderbilt.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I think Utah is ahead of us on the B1G list. And they won't say no, even if it's just a half share. Would be shocked if Oregon turned down the B1G for half share for that matter. Money is about the same short term as the BIG12, but the long term prospects are much better. Rumors are USC is the one that may not want Oregon in the B1G. If this is true, and Utah goes B1G, I'd be happy with Oregon in the BIG12 with us.

As for Arizona in the B1G, if we get invited, we must go. We're not Rutgers or Vanderbilt. We're more like Kentucky. Great basketball tradition that with the right football coach, can have a 10+ win season and compete for a conference championship every few years. Not Ohio State or Alabama, that will be reload year after year, and we'll have to rebuild. But a school capable on the football field for a magical season once or twice a decade, while we continue to be a top basketball program.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:42 pm I think Utah is ahead of us on the B1G list. And they won't say no, even if it's just a half share. Would be shocked if Oregon turned down the B1G for half share for that matter. Money is about the same short term as the BIG12, but the long term prospects are much better. Rumors are USC is the one that may not want Oregon in the B1G. If this is true, and Utah goes B1G, I'd be happy with Oregon in the BIG12 with us.

As for Arizona in the B1G, if we get invited, we must go. We're not Rutgers or Vanderbilt. We're more like Kentucky. Great basketball tradition that with the right football coach, can have a 10+ win season and compete for a conference championship every few years. Not Ohio State or Alabama, that will be reload year after year, and we'll have to rebuild. But a school capable on the football field for a magical season once or twice a decade, while we continue to be a top basketball program.
Utah is in no way ahead of UA for the SEC or B1G
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:13 pm I am casting aside. There is zero chance that Arizona is on the B1G radar.

Put it this way, the Michigan’s Ohio State’s etc.. think of Arizona the same way we look at the Mountain West or WCC conference schools.

You think some of the PAC schools think their shit doesn’t stink it’s nothing compared to the Big 10. And the SEC is even worse!

The Big 12 is actually the best place for us to land. The pond is the right size for us. I don’t want to be the WSU or OSU of the Big 10 or SEC. Think Rutgers & Vanderbilt.
On the topic of the MWC. This is under the assumption that WashOre takes a lesser bid to the Big Ten (I think they'd be crazy not to), and the remaining Four Corner schools do in fact go to the Big XII. I know it would just kill the Bay Area schools with respect to academics, but I wonder if they and the PNW "States" might try to salvage what little remains of the "Pac" brand value, try to absorb Boise, the Cal States and the remaining Colorados, deal with Apple at a further discount, and keep Kliavkoff employed. Meanwhile, the once-great LA Times ran this whiny piece this morning about USC worrying about maybe not being able to run away from Oregon...

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/stor ... on-big-ten
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:55 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:42 pm I think Utah is ahead of us on the B1G list. And they won't say no, even if it's just a half share. Would be shocked if Oregon turned down the B1G for half share for that matter. Money is about the same short term as the BIG12, but the long term prospects are much better. Rumors are USC is the one that may not want Oregon in the B1G. If this is true, and Utah goes B1G, I'd be happy with Oregon in the BIG12 with us.

From an article dated early June, Utah was one of the PAC schools vetted by the B1G. Arizona was not.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/ne ... ssovlement
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

10 programs have been "vetted" by the Big Ten for possible membership. This list includes, in no particular order, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Georgia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Utah and Miami.
Lmao
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

When are the leaks gonna start?

Will the ABOR we live or will they go to exec session again?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

“One contact said this morning that the Arizona schools may be back on track with the Pac-12. A different contact earlier reported to me that Apple really wants this deal to go through and is pulling out all the stops, including trying to get a linear partner on board to sweeten the deal for the Pac-12 and it might be enough to entice the Arizona schools to wait it out another 5-7 years.”

https://kslsports.com/503330/dan-wetzel ... utah-utes/

Lots of good info in this article.
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Only says Arizona not asu

👀
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

One point made in one of those linked articles was that if we stay in PAC, it would be a pretty easy road to the playoffs. This is if OR and WA go to B10.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:27 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:55 pm

From an article dated early June, Utah was one of the PAC schools vetted by the B1G. Arizona was not.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/ne ... ssovlement
Fight! Fight! Fight!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Hard pass on Oregon. If they come they will be that girl who is always looking to trade up to a better looking guy. And money will be no issue getting out of the Big 12 with Uncle Phil money.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Strategic let them languish a bit waiting for the ride to the prom.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

:
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Can someone explain why ESPN would want a team to move from the ACC to the SEC to just pay that school more money? ACC is a long term cheap contract at a time where ESPN is having money issues.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I'm guessing we were only voted on because ASU isn't as far along in the process as we are? Though I do love how much this feels like we're dragging them along like the little brother they are.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

It was all Bill Walton's fault:

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:31 am Scum are you in the Midwest these days? I seem remember that might be in the cards
No sir, bought a house on the NW side in Tucson in 2020. Still here with my kid who turned 2 today!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

It’s happening!!! Just hit espn
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »