Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Coach Rod

Post by Merkin »

So RR is not saying he is staying, and Byrne doesn't say he is staying.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:So RR is not saying he is staying, and Byrne doesn't say he is staying.
Easy to read too much into things like this, but I suspect that the odds on RR staying would be dropping in Vegas now after reading that email.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

He gone
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

And that's why they're pretty well screwed no matter what they say or don't say. If they say he's staying, well, a denial means nothing and he could still be gone. They don't say he's staying? Everyone says he's as good as gone. It's really early in the coaching search season and what are guys going to say? Hell, RichRod is going to at least listen to see what ADs might be willing to offer, anyone in that position would. For Byrne to say RichRod is staying would be really presumptuous at this stage and would do a disservice to RR. If anyone has concrete info that he's indeed agreed to another job I have yet to hear it.

Maybe he stays, maybe he goes, but who really knows at this point... no one really.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I would say if he passes on VaTech, SC or Miami I could see him staying awhile. Unless Clemson came calling
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

When I read that it read to me that he was gone. He may not be, but in previous rumors (RR to Louisville or Miller to maryland, can't remember) I remember Byrne saying something along the lines of "we talk every day and we're on the same page", etc.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm definitely feeling less confident that he's staying. Not sure that was Byrne's intention, but I'm guessing he had to do some serious parsing of his language.

If he is gone, Byrne already has his replacement candidates lined up. None of this Livengood bullshit where you talk to one guy and don't bother to follow up until you hear on Sportscenter that some other school hired him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:I'm definitely feeling less confident that he's staying. Not sure that was Byrne's intention, but I'm guessing he had to do some serious parsing of his language.

If he is gone, Byrne already has his replacement candidates lined up. None of this Livengood bullshit where you talk to one guy and don't bother to follow up until you hear on Sportscenter that some other school hired him.
Agree. I was dubious about the rumors...but now I think it's a very big chance he gone. And Byrne is a guy that won't be snoozing about a replacement. He had the RR hire lined up a month before it was announced.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Football is Byrne's baby. He's not going to sit idly by while it chokes on it's own vomit.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:Quote from Byrne's email today
In addition, you’ve likely heard Coach Rodriguez’s name mentioned with some of the coaching vacancies around the country. It’s a great reflection on our program and Coach Rodriguez, and he knows that we want him to be our coach. Meanwhile, it’s important that we stay focused on the remainder of this season, which starts by going up to Los Angeles and playing well against USC.
He's sooooooo gone.

At a minimum, RR has asked for permission to interview, at a most, he's signed something and did it behind GB's back.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:Football is Byrne's baby. He's not going to sit idly by while it chokes on it's own vomit.
Pretty good description of the UofA football 2015 campaign to date.

AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

I was really skeptical about rr leaving, but that email is super fishy. When will we know if he actually is leaving?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Come to think about it, I'm willing to bet that email from GB is more for the team than anything.

The Team is feeling beaten down, now the RR rumors. Its crafted to hopefully stave off any quit, which I wouldn't blame the kids if they did.

Run that hillbilly out of town.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

AZarchery wrote:I was really skeptical about rr leaving, but that email is super fishy. When will we know if he actually is leaving?
Probably wouldn't be for 20+ days
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Come to think about it, I'm willing to bet that email from GB is more for the team than anything.

The Team is feeling beaten down, now the RR rumors. Its crafted to hopefully stave off any quit, which I wouldn't blame the kids if they did.

Let's take it easy now...
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Chicat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Come to think about it, I'm willing to bet that email from GB is more for the team than anything.

Let's take it easy now...
That's the kinda stuff I'm talking about, people on here are going crazy. Sarcasm or not, plenty of people actually feel that way which is fuckin crazy.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

CalStateTempe wrote:
In addition, you’ve likely heard Coach Rodriguez’s name mentioned with some of the coaching vacancies around the country. It’s a great reflection on our program and Coach Rodriguez, and he knows that we want him to be our coach. Meanwhile, it’s important that we stay focused on the remainder of this season, which starts by going up to Los Angeles and playing well against USC.
He's sooooooo gone.

At a minimum, RR has asked for permission to interview, at a most, he's signed something and did it behind GB's back.
You sound very certain of this.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I've been around enough passive aggressive charismatic social climbers in my career to know a liar when i see one. Slight of hand and watch the other for the shank in your back.

I have no information, just a hunch, but I sure hope GB activated his coach search list.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CST, how often now have you had to walk back over-emotional name-calling late night posts? Maybe take up yoga or smoking weed.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Rich Rod will not retire from coaching college football as the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats.

It is very unlikely that RR will let one of the 6-8 east coast opening's be filled without his name being on the dotted-line of one of them.

It may be this year or it may be next year, but the guy is as good as gone when the right position comes open.

Start whittling down your personal list of your top five replacements that are realistic and when the next guy steps to the podium and tells GB and the welcoming crowd/boosters this is his final stop you can have a great laugh, roll your eyes and then go on about your day.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Rich Rod will not retire from coaching college football as the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats.

It is very unlikely that RR will let one of the 6-8 east coast opening's be filled without his name being on the dotted-line of one of them.

It may be this year or it may be next year, but the guy is as good as gone when the right position comes open.

Start whittling down your personal list of your top five replacements that are realistic and when the next guy steps to the podium and tells GB and the welcoming crowd/boosters this is his final stop you can have a great laugh, roll your eyes and then go on about your day.
When there eventually is a 'next guy', if he says that upon introduction, it will really turn me off unless is is someone with past roots and connections in the community. To make that statement upon arriving in Tucson for the first time, and (as far as I know) never having lived west of Louisiana, was disingenuous at best. As I have stated before... Don't make promises you are not sure you can keep, and do not answer questions that are not asked. (My experience says that people who do the latter are lying damn near 100% of the time).

Lute never promised he would stay (even indirectly) until he turned down the UK job because his family tree was planted in Tucson. I know some posters have been pissed that Miller has not engaged in such gratuitous glad-handing; I respect him for it. If Rich Rod does stick around here until his retirement, I will gladly eat my words (and I hope I do).

Aside from that, I have really come to like RR. For a guy who has as much experience as he does, he has some serious blind spots - but he is a great offensive coach, a good representative of the UA, and as charismatic as any coach we have had. I am shocked he has not moved the needle meaningfully (and beaten Graham like a drum) on the recruiting trail in the time he has been here. Fact is he has not.... yet.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:I would say if he passes on VaTech, SC or Miami I could see him staying awhile. Unless Clemson came calling
That is not happening anytime soon. Clemson is notorious for defining their program by the NC they won 35 years ago. And most folks have laughed at them for it ever since.

Now that they have had a taste of the spotlight again, they'll believe they are 'Bama v 2.0. If Va Tach and Louisville fans don't want RR, Clemson fans damn sure will not.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:CST, how often now have you had to walk back over-emotional name-calling late night posts? Maybe take up yoga or smoking weed.
Quite a bit.

We really need to stop the co-sleeping in the house, its driving me batty...especially with the early starts for work.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

HS, I agree with you. I actually like RR a lot for the reasons you mention and as a CAT fan its sad, understandable, but sad so see him allegedly want to jump ship so quickly.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Harvey,

In all honesty I'm not even judging RR's desire to leave. Honestly I don't care. Someone else will get hired and life will go on.

If moving back east is RR calling, which it is, then go for it. Not for one second have I ever believed on any level any disingenuous BS coach speak about retiring in Tucson and this is my final stop from the first day to today.

The only person that I have ever remotely seen that would fit that bill was Dick Tomey. If coach Tomey was not fired he would probably still be here. The guy just loved Tucson and the school to his core.

Seriously I'm not even that smart, hell I might even be classified as dumb and I can identify silly ass shallow coach and AD speak when I hear it.

Honestly when people here get mad because coach RR may have not been truthful about retiring here. Seriously, are ******* people that shallow.

Apparently. If RR wants to go........good riddance. Give me the next young gun up in here and lets see what he can do.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

After reading and over-analyzing this further, it sure reads to me like he is gone. Or at a minimum wants to be.

Good news is, he has let Byrne know where he stands, which I appreciate. It allows Byrne to get a head start on working in the background to start his search in stealth.

If RR is interviewing and does not get the job, it lets Byrne know where RR's head is at. he can plan accordingly, and factor that as appropriate into future assessments and decisions.

That's the good scenario; the bad one is that Byrne is headed to Austin. (That rumor is apparently getting more chatter... a friend in Seattle called me yesterday and asked me if had heard it).
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Harvey,

In all honesty I'm not even judging RR's desire to leave. Honestly I don't care. Someone else will get hired and life will go on.

If moving back east is RR calling, which it is, then go for it. Not for one second have I ever believed on any level any disingenuous BS coach speak about retiring in Tucson and this is my final stop from the first day to today.

The only person that I have ever remotely seen that would fit that bill was Dick Tomey. If coach Tomey was not fired he would probably still be here. The guy just loved Tucson and the school to his core.

Seriously I'm not even that smart, hell I might even be classified as dumb and I can identify silly ass shallow coach and AD speak when I hear it.

Honestly when people here get mad because coach RR may have not been truthful about retiring here. Seriously, are ******* people that shallow.

Apparently. If RR wants to go........good riddance. Give me the next young gun up in here and lets see what he can do.

If he leaves for the East Coast because that is where is heart his, I will harbor zero resentment for him making that move; life is too short to live for someone else's agenda.

As for being 'that shallow', I guess I am - kind of. I have hired a lot of people in my life, and whenever I interviewed one who I thought was making up shit to tell me what they thought I wanted to hear, I blackballed them without blinking - regardless of how impressive their resume looked. Life is too short to deal with that sh*t, too... In my mind, authenticity matters (maybe more than anything else). I might give a kid out of college a pass, but not a grown man who is financially set; I would also be inclined to lower the bar for someone who is desperate to keep their family clothed and fed; fortunately I do not work in a field where people are in that predicament.

Whatever... I realize most people do that at some point, but it is sad that people come to expect (and accept) it. Say what you mean, and mean what you say... I don't think that is too much to ask.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Call me crazy but I think the son is still the wild card in all of this. As I'm guessing that he's not to excited about going into the unknown for his senior year of HS. If he was just a regular student it would still be very difficult but, the fact that he's the starting QB for the last 3 years and no doubt has made some good friends is not easy at all. I can promise you that in that situation, the kid could care less how much more money is involved for his parents.

RR can tell his son that it will be okay and he will find the right school etc but both know that he really can't promise anything. As a parent, the last thing you would want to have on your mind is you moved and your son ended up hating his senior year of HS so you could make a an extra million dollars. As we all know, you don't get a do over on your senior year of HS. If he wasn't in HS anymore then I think it's a much easier decision.

One of the things RR said when he was hired was how supportive his daughter was when he moved here and he thought it was going to be much more difficult. She wasn't an athlete but no doubt had friends that she wasn't keen on leaving. But she still had 2 years of HS left when they made the move.

Is Rhett going to be welcomed at a HS in Blacksburg like he is at Cat Foothills? Do they already have a QB or is it going to be a competition and will there be issues if he wins the QB job over somebody that his teammates like more? That stuff is real and especially when he knows that he's the starting QB next year at Cat Foothills without question. You're asking your kid to forget about what he knows to be a sure thing in his senior year of HS and accept the unknown even though neither the kid or the parent knows what that means at this point.

I honestly thinks it says a lot about RR and his wife if they leave and screw the kid out of what should be a dream year for him at Cat Foothills. I don't think RR is leaving as I think his kids situation is a pretty big trump card. RR will no doubt play it out though and get a raise out of it for sure.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dc4azcats wrote:Call me crazy but I think the son is still the wild card in all of this. As I'm guessing that he's not to excited about going into the unknown for his senior year of HS. If he was just a regular student it would still be very difficult but, the fact that he's the starting QB for the last 3 years and no doubt has made some good friends is not easy at all. I can promise you that in that situation, the kid could care less how much more money is involved for his parents.

RR can tell his son that it will be okay and he will find the right school etc but both know that he really can't promise anything. As a parent, the last thing you would want to have on your mind is you moved and your son ended up hating his senior year of HS so you could make a an extra million dollars. As we all know, you don't get a do over on your senior year of HS. If he wasn't in HS anymore then I think it's a much easier decision.

One of the things RR said when he was hired was how supportive his daughter was when he moved here and he thought it was going to be much more difficult. She wasn't an athlete but no doubt had friends that she wasn't keen on leaving. But she still had 2 years of HS left when they made the move.

Is Rhett going to be welcomed at a HS in Blacksburg like he is at Cat Foothills? Do they already have a QB or is it going to be a competition and will there be issues if he wins the QB job over somebody that his teammates like more? That stuff is real and especially when he knows that he's the starting QB next year at Cat Foothills without question. You're asking your kid to forget about what he knows to be a sure thing in his senior year of HS and accept the unknown even though neither the kid or the parent knows what that means at this point.

I honestly thinks it says a lot about RR and his wife if they leave and screw the kid out of what should be a dream year for him at Cat Foothills. I don't think RR is leaving as I think his kids situation is a pretty big trump card. RR will no doubt play it out though and get a raise out of it for sure.
We have had our differences DC, but that is an outstanding post.

2 comments:

1) Your commentary above is dead-nuts on from my perspective. That said, how you and I may view the world is not the same way that many high-profile celebrity types do. This is not an indictment of RR AT ALL (if it as I would represent it as such), but more an observation of other individuals that I DO know who have achieved similar levels of notoriety and career achievement on a grand stage. In most cases, despite the rhetoric, career aspirations trump all else; it is largely how they got to where they are in the first place. I hope this is not RR, and it might not be.

2) I want him to stay, but if he tries to leverage this into a raise - I hope Byrne cordially (but firmly) lets him know that is not in the cards - on principle alone. Relative to his peers (especially in conference), he is paid quite adequately IMO. And he will get a nice fat chunk of change (retention bonus) for suffering through at least one more season in Tucson so that his son can graduate from HS with his closest friends.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

dc4azcats wrote:Call me crazy but I think the son is still the wild card in all of this. As I'm guessing that he's not to excited about going into the unknown for his senior year of HS. If he was just a regular student it would still be very difficult but, the fact that he's the starting QB for the last 3 years and no doubt has made some good friends is not easy at all. I can promise you that in that situation, the kid could care less how much more money is involved for his parents.

You are assuming RR's kid would have to move with him. RR has the means, why not just get him his own apartment for his senior year of HS. I knew plenty of kids in HS whose parents got them an apartment or they lived with friends for their senior years.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Harvey Specter wrote:

We have had our differences DC, but that is an outstanding post.

2 comments:

1) Your commentary above is dead-nuts on from my perspective. That said, how you and I may view the world is not the same way that many high-profile celebrity types do. This is not an indictment of RR AT ALL (if it as I would represent it as such), but more an observation of other individuals that I DO know who have achieved similar levels of notoriety and career achievement on a grand stage. In most cases, despite the rhetoric, career aspirations trump all else; it is largely how they got to where they are in the first place. I hope this is not RR, and it might not be.

2) I want him to stay, but if he tries to leverage this into a raise - I hope Byrne cordially (but firmly) lets him know that is not in the cards - on principle alone. Relative to his peers (especially in conference), he is paid quite adequately IMO. And he will get a nice fat chunk of change (retention bonus) for suffering through at least one more season in Tucson so that his son can graduate from HS with his closest friends.
Thanks and there's plenty of folks on here that I don't agree with all the time. :D I respect everybody's opinion even if I don't always agree with it. I always enjoy the banter and it's why I keep coming back.

I mentioned the above because as a parent I've gone through it and it's a really big deal even when as a parent you might not think it is or you think "kids adapt". Not when it's your senior year they don't. I posted the above on the scout premium site and a guy who has been there a while but only had 55 posts felt the need to post. He said he was a tennis player in HS and made the state tourney (first time ever anybody from his HS had accomplished that feat) and his Dad got another job out of state and they moved. He said he was "DEVESTATED" and to this day he still is upset about it.

I understand what you're saying in regards to GB telling RR no on the pay raise, but I tend to think he gives it to him one more time. Maybe with the caveat that you better win a Pac 12 Championship or take another job if you try this stunt again.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

My feeling is Rich Rod is going no where. Brynes comments last year when Louisville came up, was that RR was here for the long term. Think the staffs goals were well above a South title and getting destroyed in Conf Championship. Don't see him looking like a solid hire for V Tech, likely coming off 5-7 season in yr 4, with his recruits and system comfortably in place, being 1-3 vs div. rival etc... This coming off underwhelming Michigan stint.
I've spoken with a couple V Tech alums who believe that despite, AD working with RR, that he would be shooting higher and that bringing in RR, would carry undue risk because of their past relationship and not looking objective.
Think RR would believe there is unfinished business here, he is extremely competitive, has a likely a more favorable schedule next year, with a lot returning on both sides of the ball. Why not Arizona comes to mind.
Certainly there is something to be said for leaving on a high note, achieving goals and vaulting to a new program in a positive way.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:

You are assuming RR's kid would have to move with him. RR has the means, why not just get him his own apartment for his senior year of HS. I knew plenty of kids in HS whose parents got them an apartment or they lived with friends for their senior years.
No chance, that's not how his family works. Not to mention that RR would miss every one of his games and RR loves having his son around at UA games. Lastly, he's mentoring his son to be a college QB and hard to do that when you're 2000 miles away.

RR isn't close with really anybody in Tucson, he's not real chummy with any of the big donors or anything like that. It's all about his family and there's no chance he puts his kid in apartment for his senior year. Zero chance.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

My gut lines up with dc4's take. Which would make me despise RR if he left, not because he'd be betraying the UA, but because he'd be putting his own career above the welfare of his family. There are certain times you do not uproot your kids, regardless of the magnitude of the opportunity. This is one of them.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

RR stays.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ramcat wrote:My feeling is Rich Rod is going no where. Brynes comments last year when Louisville came up, was that RR was here for the long term. Think the staffs goals were well above a South title and getting destroyed in Conf Championship. Don't see him looking like a solid hire for V Tech, likely coming off 5-7 season in yr 4, with his recruits and system comfortably in place, being 1-3 vs div. rival etc... This coming off underwhelming Michigan stint.
I've spoken with a couple V Tech alums who believe that despite, AD working with RR, that he would be shooting higher and that bringing in RR, would carry undue risk because of their past relationship and not looking objective.
Think RR would believe there is unfinished business here, he is extremely competitive, has a likely a more favorable schedule next year, with a lot returning on both sides of the ball. Why not Arizona comes to mind.
Certainly there is something to be said for leaving on a high note, achieving goals and vaulting to a new program in a positive way.
I think the tone in Byrne's e-mail, which is in stark contrast relative to his comments when the Louisville rumors came up, is the reason why many of us are thinking he may be headed back East.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

chiefzona wrote:RR stays.
Gut call, or declarative statement based on info you have received?
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
ramcat wrote:My feeling is Rich Rod is going no where. Brynes comments last year when Louisville came up, was that RR was here for the long term. Think the staffs goals were well above a South title and getting destroyed in Conf Championship. Don't see him looking like a solid hire for V Tech, likely coming off 5-7 season in yr 4, with his recruits and system comfortably in place, being 1-3 vs div. rival etc... This coming off underwhelming Michigan stint.

I think the tone in Byrne's e-mail, which is in stark contrast relative to his comments when the Louisville rumors came up, is the reason why many of us are thinking he may be headed back East.
Makes sense to me that Brynes comments would strike a different tone, as you put it, as the situation is different. Last year when Louisville came up, the year had ended and the talk of his going to Louisville was much more direct and wide spread. I'd imagine Bryne and Rich would likely be able to discuss things more openly, such as possible bumps in contract. With season still in play, the focus should righfully be on one thing, finishing as strongly as possible. So Bryne should have been more guarded and subdued, at least and until the season is complete.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Still think 50/50 Rich Rod leaves. Of course he has to be offered another gig he'd want. That's getting harder to do depending on how season ends. Any fan base would be leery bringing in a HC with losing record - no bowl game. Puts the AD/Boosters in a tough spot knowing part of fan base would express concern around that. Also, if it took too long or didn't work out would be a target directly back to them.

Some added risk there. Still think he and Byrne have a great relationship. Don't think RR plays too much politics with him (some). So expect they have open and candid conversations. Which is how I interpreted Byrne's email.
He knows that we want him to be our coach
Assumed discussed, but going to investigate his options.

If we're guessing at responses... I also think Byrne's responses to questions about open AD jobs also seems different this time around. He is more vague and took the route of I can't respond to every rumor. Although I think he has in the past indirectly via twitter.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I really like RR, he is quite charismatic, so good to hear. Even if it's for just one year like DC4 suggests so his son can finish HS. Has his daughter finished at the UA?

However, I am sure Byrne will have a nice talk with end in his yearly review about the defense.

Can't imagine staying longer than that though. Fighting for 3rd each year in the PAC South?

Last year was an anomaly and UA should have lost 2 more games to Cal and UDub, but doesn't hurt to be lucky.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

When Louisville was in play it was the end of the season and that was pretty much the only job in question, the only one RR was linked to and it was a pretty easy thing for Byrne to shoot down. This time around RR's name is up for half the jobs out there. Yes, it's a carefully parsed statement, but you don't make definitive statements that you know RR is staying unless the coach is going to say it himself. RichRod is going to at least listen to the offers because you never know if someone is going to give him a really sweet deal to go, or if he really really wants back on the east coast. I'd say we know something by this time next month, when the regular season is over. That's when the coaching hires really get going in earnest.

I can see scenarios where RR doesn't even get a sniff. A lot of noise about Chad Morris to VT, Kirby Smart will likely fill South Carolina or Georgia if Richt is fired, Herman could end up at either USC, Richt could end up at Miami if he's fired, and there's several other names out there. I still don't think Miami is that attractive a gig for RR but I could be wrong. Schiano could end up filling one of the open east coast spots. I don't think RR goes to Virginia because it's B1G. Purdue doesn't look like it's going to open now so there's one opening off the table for these guys. Fuentes, Wells and Rhule are all in the mix as well and I could see either Fuentes or Rhule getting UVA. Pep Hamilton may also be in play now.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If he is gonna leave next year just leave now. Don't think there will be this many jobs open next year near his home
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

PHXCATS wrote:If he is gonna leave next year just leave now. Don't think there will be this many jobs open next year near his home
If he stays this year and doesn't go back to WVU (if that job opens - and it may this year - a lot of people are going to push to bring him back) then he's probably not going anywhere for a long time.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Never fails to amuse and amaze me how upset fans get about a coach doing what's best for them and moving on to bigger things

"But but but he said Arizona is a destination!!! :cry:"

I'm as big as a UA football fan as there is, but no chance I stick around an average football program when I can coach at a place like VaTech or South Carolina.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

eoe wrote:Never fails to amuse and amaze me how upset fans get about a coach doing what's best for them and moving on to bigger things

I'm as big as a UA football fan as there is, but no chance I stick around an average football program when I can coach at a place like VaTech or South Carolina.
Would you have been upset if we were not saved by a cheeseburger in basketball?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Damn!

Unlike many of you, I want RR to stay as long as we can keep him. He's a great coach. I do think fans should be able to trust statements such as "Arizona is my last stop and I'll finish my coaching career here if you'll have me."

But the proclamation above by Chief pretty much seals it that he's leaving.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpenguin wrote:RichRod is going to at least listen to the offers because you never know if someone is going to give him a really sweet deal to go, or if he really really wants back on the east coast.
Also doesn't hurt to make your intentions hidden if you want a sweeter deal at your current position. CSM and RR have already had their oil money bonuses moved up once. RR can work another raise for himself and his staff especially with Byrne having his back.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:
azpenguin wrote:RichRod is going to at least listen to the offers because you never know if someone is going to give him a really sweet deal to go, or if he really really wants back on the east coast.
Also doesn't hurt to make your intentions hidden if you want a sweeter deal at your current position. CSM and RR have already had their oil money bonuses moved up once. RR can work another raise for himself and his staff especially with Byrne having his back.
I don't blame RR for trying, if he does. I would blame Byrne for giving in to it.

It depends in part on how we finish, but a 2-7 10th place finish (which appears to be a real possibility) does not correlate with a raise for a coach who (I believe) has the 3rd highest salary in the conference.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

The thing is you need that one coach who could move to bigger and better things ... but chooses to stay and build something here. Lute was the guy in basketball. Because of his commitment and long-term success the tables flipped on the basketball program: after Lute, big name coaches would love to come here! If the stories are true, Calipari would have been our next coach if Kentucky hadn't swooped in and got him. We ended up with Miller. Outstanding!! All because Lute years ago said no to Kentucky, not once but twice.

This is what we need in football. Larry Smith was on his way, but then left for USC. I thought Tomey might be the guy, but his team only seemed to blow the doors off the year prior to his contract being up. RRod could be the guy. Obviously, if he leaves he is not.

We shall see. If he stays he will eventually get the defensive side of the ball figured out and I do believe we will get to multiple Rose Bowls with him. If he chooses to leave, so be it. Maybe the next coach will be that guy.

Go Cats!!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

eoe wrote:Never fails to amuse and amaze me how upset fans get about a coach doing what's best for them and moving on to bigger things

Yeah, cuz living in Blacksburg or Columbia is something most aspire to. South Carolina, Va Tech, Alabama, Ohio St, USC, Texas, LSU, & Florida... Those are certainly the Crown Jewels of the sport.

The 2 mentioned are unique in this case because of geographic proximity to his home... If he leaves, and that is the reason, then more power to him.

If he leaves because he sees those jobs as big upgrades, then leave. If he thinks AZ is THAT bottom of the barrel' among BCS conference jobs - such that S Car or VTU are BIG upgrades - then no wonder he can't sell the program more effectively to recruits. You can't sell something you don't believe in.

As for his stated desire to retire here... It seemed disingenuous to me at the time, so it would surprise me if it was. But not all coaches do that pandering (snake oil salesman) bs, even if many do. Miller never said it, and neither did Lute (until he was here so long it was a foregone conclusion, anyway).