HS and CG97 bringing it strong tonight.

They appreciate nuance.
Harvey Specter

Re: Coach Rod

Post by Harvey Specter »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
azpenguin wrote:The people who think RR is damaged for interviewing with another school must really not like Lute Olson.
You can't be serious......apples to oranges. Correct me if I'm wrong, only one time in his long tenure at UA did Lute interview and consider leaving the UA to frickin' KENTUCKY! And how many years and after how much success at re-building then expanding the UA program?
He talked to Kentucky twice.
Thanks....interesting. Do you know when and how close he came to leaving then? Just curious....
I know he was pretty close to leaving at least one of the times... and I seem to recall Bobbi talked him out of it. (All their family roots were in Tucson by then).

I believe he was offered the job both times he considered it (or at least once, he may have removed his name before it came to an offer the other time)... He and CM Newton were old friends.. Once (I am almost certain he was offered) was when they hired Eddie Sutton - I think the other MIGHT have been when they hired Pitino (and I want to say he backed out early in the process).

Oh... And Lute never publicly pronounced "I was offered the job and turned it down", although it was widely reported that he had been. Funny thing, UK didn't ever deny they offered him the job either.

He did not need to create an air of desirability around himself. He was a hot property. He knew it. The fans knew it. EVERYBODY knew it.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:HS and CG97 bringing it strong tonight.

They appreciate nuance.
Thanks, CST, the degree of linear thinking that people use to try and equate dissimilar situations never ceases to amaze me.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:HS and CG97 bringing it strong tonight.

They appreciate nuance.
I appreciate honesty and humility. Rich Rodriguez doesn't seem to possess either, and I don't see how he's earned any sort of right to shop himself around as some kind of hot commodity the night before the team banquet, much less before the damn bowl game.

That kind of crap started back in the Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer eras, at least for me. All it does is turn the whole fun game, played by scores of hard-working kids, into The Young and the f*cking Restless.
Last edited by catgrad97 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Miller did the EXACT same thing, we never talk about it two years later. It's always nice to know your options as a coach, and in Rich Rod's case, maybe he needed it. I know the late night games and getting home at 5 am bothers him, as does the distance recruiting he has to do because Arizona is a small state population wise.

Sometimes it takes seeing what your options are, then deciding what you have is better than all of them...AND then you can mentally refocus and redouble down on your efforts (like recruiting, and perhaps continued facility upgrades, like an indoor practice facility, which we DO need, which will help with recruiting and training.)
Of the state's which are homes to schools in the PAC-12 conference, Arizona has the 2nd best pool of talent behind California. Yes, we are (and always will be) FAR behind CA... But he's better off than 7 of the schools he is competing with, and worse off than 4. And I might give that more credence if he and his staff was not doing such a piss-poor job of recruiting the kids we DO have in state. I am too lazy to look it up, but I'd venture to guess we produce more D1 talent that WV as well.

Bottom line, plenty of others are worse off than we are... and if it's an issue, he better get a job in CA, TX, FL, OH, PN, or LA. Oh... And do a much better job of recruiting in-state.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Thanks UAE and Harvey ...interesting article and insight on Lute's opportunities with UK.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:"Coaches interview for jobs all the time. People every day in America interview for jobs they don't take. It isn't 1987 where coaches stay at the same job for 30 years. No reason to take his interview as a personal insult. Get a grip and calm down. RR has been here for 5 years now and turned down several jobs. Get over yourself"

Pretty big difference in listening to interested parties and actively interviewing. And you are right, coaches interview for better jobs all the time. I think most people would agree that South Carolina would have been a lateral move at best.
Agree with this. As others have said, if he was interviewing for Texas, Alabama, or USC, there would be no ill will . . . especially since that would likely mean we weren't coming off a totally mediocre year and that our program was ascending enough for him to be that coveted by the bluebloods. But South Carolina? Louisville? Surprised he didn't interview with Rutgers or Kansas.

Hater keeps talking about "this is a business and people do this all the time", and he's right. But businesses value loyalty. If I had someone under me that I found out was interviewing with anyone and everyone, I'd definitely be looking to replace them on my own terms. For one, I'd need to look at how good a job they are doing while they have one foot out the door and they're updating their resume and going on interviews on company time. For another, I wouldn't want to be left in the lurch with all of our internal info flying out the door with them. In business it's not entirely uncommon for people who are known to be looking around to all of a sudden find themselves fired from their current job for poor performance and disloyalty.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

But...he didn't take the other jobs. Sure he interviewed...but he didn't take them. Everyone seems to be forgetting that major detail
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

catgrad97 wrote:You have no idea what other people did or didn't do, HATER. None. You need to stop pretending you do and sift out the facts of this situation.

I believe Byrne, who has been forthright and discreet throughout this process, as he has always preached transparency.

But I no longer believe Rich Rodriguez and find his self-estimation and regard for this program and its fans to be a boatload of bullshit. He exposed himself as weak and not very principled throughout this entire process, and it's going to take yeomans work to heal the distrust it has caused in this program.

Idiotic tantrum? My wife is asleep while I sit next to her on the coach, typing this. I am merely voicing a moral objection to a public figure's conduct I find unacceptable. I haven't even read a thing South Carolina has to say about this.

And BTW, when did coaching COLLEGE football become a "business"? You never hear that line dared utter at the D-II or III levels, but in 2015 at Arizona, it is?

Agree. RR is now on Todd Graham's level for me. Totally full of shit. He's good verbally like a used car salesman is good verbally, with just as much substance. We're lucky to have him? I don't think so.

As to Lute's romances with Kentucky, it's all in his book. Rather than guessing, read the book, get it from the horse's mouth. Lute's situation was night and day from RR's bullshit. Lute is on an entirely different level than RR ... in all regards. So is Sean Miller. RR is a very polished bullshit slinger. Not my kind of guy. If he were on my payroll, he would be gone Monday a.m.

If so, as Harvey points out, business has not been good this fall for Rich Rodriguez, so he needs to drop the star games and CEO bs and do the tough things it takes to win in this game.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
azpenguin wrote:The people who think RR is damaged for interviewing with another school must really not like Lute Olson.
You can't be serious......apples to oranges. Correct me if I'm wrong, only one time in his long tenure at UA did Lute interview and consider leaving the UA to frickin' KENTUCKY! And how many years and after how much success at re-building then expanding the UA program?
He talked to Kentucky twice.
Thanks....interesting. Do you know when and how close he came to leaving then? Just curious....
I know he was pretty close to leaving at least one of the times... and I seem to recall Bobbi talked him out of it. (All their family roots were in Tucson by then).

I believe he was offered the job both times he considered it (or at least once, he may have removed his name before it came to an offer the other time)... He and CM Newton were old friends.. Once (I am almost certain he was offered) was when they hired Eddie Sutton - I think the other MIGHT have been when they hired Pitino (and I want to say he backed out early in the process).

Oh... And Lute never publicly pronounced "I was offered the job and turned it down", although it was widely reported that he had been. Funny thing, UK didn't ever deny they offered him the job either.

He did not need to create an air of desirability around himself. He was a hot property. He knew it. The fans knew it. EVERYBODY knew it.
thanks, guys - i didn't know there was a second recruitment between Lute and kentucky. which i understand is the point, but we should keep in mind that it occurred in an era before social media, fansites, and "rumor" blogs are what they are today.

the other thing coming out of this -- if RR was passed over by ntUSC as some believe, byrne could very well use it as leverage to make changes to the defensive staff (i.e., casteel), if he wanted to go there. a shortsighted move, perhaps, but the opportunity to instigate that change would be there, should byrne decide to capitalize upon it.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

RR doesn't allow OKGs to visit other schools while committed to Arizona.....see Naijiel Hale. So, if Rich Rod is preaching OKG and is an OKG, and committed to Arizona. Why then is he visiting another school? Should Byrne decommit him? Pull his offer? Practice what you preach or your words become plastic because of your actions.
Last edited by chiefzona on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

catgrad97 wrote:You have no idea what other people did or didn't do, HATER. None. You need to stop pretending you do and sift out the facts of this situation.

I believe Byrne, who has been forthright and discreet throughout this process, as he has always preached transparency.

But I no longer believe Rich Rodriguez and find his self-estimation and regard for this program and its fans to be a boatload of bullshit. He exposed himself as weak and not very principled throughout this entire process, and it's going to take yeomans work to heal the distrust it has caused in this program.

Idiotic tantrum? My wife is asleep while I sit next to her on the coach, typing this. I am merely voicing a moral objection to a public figure's conduct I find unacceptable. I haven't even read a thing South Carolina has to say about this.

And BTW, when did coaching COLLEGE football become a "business"? You never hear that line dared utter at the D-II or III levels, but in 2015 at Arizona, it is?

If so, as Harvey points out, business has not been good this fall for Rich Rodriguez, so he needs to drop the star games and CEO bs and do the tough things it takes to win in this game.
So I have no idea what people did or didn't do...but you some how do? You're automatically assuming things about RR. What you're doing and criticizing me for is all the same thing.

And yes of fucking course coaching college football is a business. When has it ever been otherwise? Either way I still think your and everyone else's hissy fit tantrums over someone you don't know doing something that has no affect on your life are kinda pathetic. RR didn't interview at south Carolina to personally insult you. Get over it, and move on. He is our coach and I am happy with that. Maybe it's time you and everyone else freaking the hell out stop paying attention to sports if normal coaches activities make you this insane.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Hater I typically agree with your posts but here I disagree and agree with cat grad and Harvey

I am glad Rich Rod stayed as I know for a fact he met with the team this week and told everyone that he was not going to South Carolina. I

Regardless for what anyone says Rich Rod is hated at two schools he has coached at. Could have quickly been three. That says something to me.

I could care less if Rich Rod is a good guy or not as I just want to make a rose bowl. I think our chances in the next five years are better with rich Rod then going through a coaching change. I also think they are a heck of a lot better with Helton at USC then a good coach.

This being said if I was rich Rod, I would have taken the South Carolina job in a heart beat. I think Arizona is a mediocre job on a national scale and South Carolina is a much better job.

Neither is a marquee job but I am just not convinced rich Rod will ever recruit the horses we need here to make a real rose bowl run. I think he could recruit better at South Carolina.

In the end let's hope this leads to my real dream of an indoor facility!
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:But...he didn't take the other jobs. Sure he interviewed...but he didn't take them. Everyone seems to be forgetting that major detail
Employers generally want people who are "all in" (you know, like how RR wants his commits to be). If you are interviewing, even if you don't take the job, your employer might not think you're all in. For good reason.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Him not taking the job shows me he's all in.

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:Him not taking the job shows me he's all in.

He stated he was all in 4 years ago. Did he need to visit another school to see if he was still an OKG?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

chiefzona wrote:

He stated he was all in 4 years ago. Did he need to visit another school to see if he was still an OKG?
So you're telling me you've never evaluated your life or decisions before? Never changed your mind or mulled something over? Once you do something it never changes again the rest of your life? If not, then you have no business being mad at RR

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Who cares what he did...those that hated on him before will continue, along with those that loved him will continue to.

Its basketball season anyway ladies.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:RR doesn't allow OKGs to visit other schools while committed to Arizona.....see Naijiel Hale. So, if Rich Rod is preaching OKG and is an OKG, and committed to Arizona. Why then is he visiting another school? Should Byrne decommit him? Pull his offer? Practice what you preach or your words become plastic because of your actions.
Excellent point. RR is a total slimeball. Totally full of shit. Unlike Newport, I'll take character first. Results need to follow, but character is a basic requirement. RR fails.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

So you're telling me you've never evaluated your life or decisions before? Never changed your mind or mulled something over? Once you do something it never changes again the rest of your life? If not, then you have no business being mad at RR

Sure, but I never held anyone to a higher standard than I ever held myself to. If RR drops the OKG gimmick and his circa 1940s rules for commits, then I will accept him with open arms. If not, I will not. He pissed on his own words....that to me shows the measure of a man.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am very interested in Samaje Grants reaction and tweet. That to me is very interesting and telling
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:I am very interested in Samaje Grants reaction and tweet. That to me is very interesting and telling

I'm thinking Grant wanted him gone.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:RR doesn't allow OKGs to visit other schools while committed to Arizona.....see Naijiel Hale. So, if Rich Rod is preaching OKG and is an OKG, and committed to Arizona. Why then is he visiting another school? Should Byrne decommit him? Pull his offer? Practice what you preach or your words become plastic because of your actions.
Excellent point. RR is a total slimeball. Totally full of shit. Unlike Newport, I'll take character first. Results need to follow, but character is a basic requirement. RR fails.
Question, who else has RR done that to? I'm pretty sure the answer is no one and he was just looking for a reason to get rid of Hale. I think he saw the writing on the wall with that kid before signing day
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

would love to see RR get us back on our feet and have the last laugh. let's see how long muschamp lasts at ntUSC. it may be the more prestigious gig, but longevity may not be in the cards for any hc there. if steve spurrier couldn't take them to a new years bowl in a decade, which is probably their fans' expectation, then good luck to the next coaching staff i guess.

i'm also glad for RR's family's sake that he's staying put for now.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

So many people here act as if he has no right no talk to other schools, that he's damaged goods or disloyal. By that definition pretty much every coach in football is disloyal. It's a business, not a marriage. As bad a year as Stoops was having in '11, he was still working hard when he got fired. The university didn't extend loyalty to Stoops because it was about results on the field. RichRod was getting calls because of his results over the last few years. If it's OK for a school to fire a coach when his stock is down, then it's fair game for a coach to see what's out there when his stock is up. There is little loyalty in the business. That's just how it is.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azpenguin wrote:So many people here act as if he has no right no talk to other schools, that he's damaged goods or disloyal. By that definition pretty much every coach in football is disloyal. It's a business, not a marriage. As bad a year as Stoops was having in '11, he was still working hard when he got fired. The university didn't extend loyalty to Stoops because it was about results on the field. RichRod was getting calls because of his results over the last few years. If it's OK for a school to fire a coach when his stock is down, then it's fair game for a coach to see what's out there when his stock is up. There is little loyalty in the business. That's just how it is.
Yup. Excellent post.

Everyone on here moaning and whining needs to probably step away from sports for a long time if this is how they are going to react to normal human behaviors. It's obviously too much for you if you can't handle someone interviewing and rejecting a job. So I expect all of you to stop rooting for all of your favorite teams until you can mature a bit.

Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I am very interested in Samaje Grants reaction and tweet. That to me is very interesting and telling

You mean the guy who's lucky to still be on the team after acting like a dumbass getting a dui last year and being benched for the first game for some other infraction this year?

If he's upset about RR staying I'm calling sour grapes on his ass. He fucked up and RR stood by him.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah grant is the last guy I'd look to to judge RR.

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Fishclamps wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Question, who else has RR done that to? I'm pretty sure the answer is no one and he was just looking for a reason to get rid of Hale. I think he saw the writing on the wall with that kid before signing day

That is RR's policy with commits. It's common knowledge. He saw the writing on the wall with Hale but not Poland, Price and the others he has kicked off the team for behavior unbecoming?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

chiefzona wrote:
I am thinking Grant probably ought to transfer... Unless that tweet means something very different than it appeared to at face value - and he can explain it clearly - then he just committed the equivalent of career suicide. RR does not strike me as a guy who is one to easily "forgive and forget" being publicly called out by a subordinate.

And I don't think that was a good thing to do on Grant's part. I really want to know if RR had promised the team he would not interview earlier in the week. I hope someone asks him about it at the presser.

It will be interesting to see how the team responds and performs in the bowl game, as well as how the recruiting class ends. Their reaction to this is the most important... Because they will ultimately decide how the fans feel about RR.

Perform well and win and all will be okay. If he's lost them (I am not saying he has), then this is the beginning of the end... because fan loyalty to RR will be dictated almost exclusively by wins and losses moving forward.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

chiefzona wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

That is RR's policy with commits. It's common knowledge. He saw the writing on the wall with Hale but not Poland, Price and the others he has kicked off the team for behavior unbecoming?
So you would never find a commit that's taken officials to other schools after they've committed here?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Harvey Specter wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
I am thinking Grant probably ought to transfer... Unless that tweet means something very different than it appeared to at face value - and he can explain it clearly - then he just committed the equivalent of career suicide. RR does not strike me as a guy who is one to easily "forgive and forget" being publicly called out by a subordinate.

And I don't think that was a wise move. I really do want to know if RR had promised the team he would not interview earlier in the week. I really hope someone asks him about it at the presser.

It will be interesting to see how the team responds and performs in the bowl game, as well as how the recruiting class ends. Their reaction to this is the most important... Because they will ultimately decide how the fans feel about RR.

Perform well and win and all will be okay. If he's lost them (I am not saying he has), then this is the beginning of the end... because fan loyalty to RR will be dictated almost exclusively by wins and losses moving forward.
Good post. I think there will be a lot of coach speak today and not a lot of answers. The local hacks here are pathetic when it comes to asking poignant questions because they don't want to lose their places in the buffet line. I'll hear a lot more today from my friends and we'll see how this goes. One thing that I think though is that RR will be full of fire come Spring and coach with his pants on fire.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

chiefzona wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

And I don't think that was a wise move. I really do want to know if RR had promised the team he would not interview earlier in the week. I really hope someone asks him about it at the presser.

Good post. I think there will be a lot of coach speak today and not a lot of answers. The local hacks here are pathetic when it comes to asking poignant questions because they don't want to lose their places in the buffet line. I'll hear a lot more today from my friends and we'll see how this goes. One thing that I think though is that RR will be full of fire come Spring and coach with his pants on fire.
And if he falls flat on his face again people will bitch and want him gone, and if he has another good season people will bitch if other schools come calling.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Fishclamps wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

So you would never find a commit that's taken officials to other schools after they've committed here?
Off the top of my head, he Ok'd Tate to do it this year but I believe Tate recanted before he did it. Something like that. I can't think of one at the moment.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

So ok for Tate, but not for Hale? Gotcha
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

consider for a moment: what would CSM do if a guy who verbals continues to take visits? he'd talk to the kid, and recruit over him if needed. which is what RR should do, and what i assume GB would with RR also.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azpenguin wrote:So many people here act as if he has no right no talk to other schools, that he's damaged goods or disloyal. By that definition pretty much every coach in football is disloyal. It's a business, not a marriage. As bad a year as Stoops was having in '11, he was still working hard when he got fired. The university didn't extend loyalty to Stoops because it was about results on the field. RichRod was getting calls because of his results over the last few years. If it's OK for a school to fire a coach when his stock is down, then it's fair game for a coach to see what's out there when his stock is up. There is little loyalty in the business. That's just how it is.
Rich Rod's stock is about on par with Muschamp's; if you call that high, the we agree to disagree. Right now his stock is high enough that he was a Plan C for a middling BCS program, and it was interesting enough that he decided to explore it. Every time his name surfaces, the fans object to him like the plague.

As for his results the 'past few years' - lets talk about that. No sugar coating - this is business. Last year was a very nice season, and that's it. The other 3 were mediocre to bad - losing conference records and wins against cupcakes... No more 'feel good' propping up of results.

This fanbase stood behind him and virtually EVERYONE was in his corner despite a really disappointing season overall. He has gotten the benefit of the doubt at every turn - and ENORMOUS credit for the few positives that he has delivered. If people were calling for his head and he went off interviewing for any job that gave him a cursory look, that would be a different story entirely. He has been the beneficiary of more loyalty and support than he has reciprocated.

I don't think that happens any more... he wants to keep his options open? So do we.... From now on - it is WIN OR ELSE. Business is business, and it's a 2-way street. Time to deliver a SOLID product... and enough with the marketing gimmicks to try and call attention away from the warts and moles.

Less time on cutesy slogans... less time on feel-good videos... And more focus on difference-making recruits and W's. That's what this shareholder wants.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

dirtbags wrote:consider for a moment: what would CSM do if a guy who verbals continues to take visits? he'd talk to the kid, and recruit over him if needed. which is what RR should do, and what i assume GB would with RR also.
Exactly. All of college sports is about shopping yourself around. People need to get over it. If we lost RR, we'd move on and get someone else. He chose to stay though, so fuck him right?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dirtbags wrote:consider for a moment: what would CSM do if a guy who verbals continues to take visits? he'd talk to the kid, and recruit over him if needed. which is what RR should do, and what i assume GB would with RR also.
Please do not try to compare these 2... because their similarities end at 'being the head coach of a men's program at the University of Arizona.'

In addition, Miller is LOVED at every level in the AD and has been since he arrived here. I'll leave it at that...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Fishclamps wrote:
Exactly. All of college sports is about shopping yourself around. People need to get over it. If we lost RR, we'd move on and get someone else. He chose to stay though, so fuck him right?
Nope.

Just win, baby. And no more excuses - it's year 5.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We won in year 3. Everyone forgets that I guess. You're acting like he's never had a winning season here.

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Fishclamps wrote:So ok for Tate, but not for Hale? Gotcha

So the story goes but Tate never tried it or him so he remains an OKG. I heard through a ahem...media type person that RR ok'd it but that story is still hearsay really. I don't believe RR went public with that so it seemed like Tate was just testing the waters.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Rich Rod's stock is about on par with Muschamp's; if you call that high, the we agree to disagree. Right now his stock is high enough that he was a Plan C for a middling BCS program, and it was interesting enough that he decided to explore it. Every time his name surfaces, the fans object to him like the plague.

As for his results the 'past few years' - lets talk about that. No sugar coating - this is business. Last year was a very nice season, and that's it. The other 3 were mediocre to bad - losing conference records and wins against cupcakes... No more 'feel good' propping up of results.

This fanbase stood behind him and virtually EVERYONE was in his corner despite a really disappointing season overall. He has gotten the benefit of the doubt at every turn - and ENORMOUS credit for the few positives that he has delivered. If people were calling for his head and he went off interviewing for any job that gave him a cursory look, that would be a different story entirely. He has been the beneficiary of more loyalty and support than he has reciprocated.

I don't think that happens any more... he wants to keep his options open? So do we.... From now on - it is WIN OR ELSE. Business is business, and it's a 2-way street. Time to deliver a SOLID product... and enough with the marketing gimmicks to try and call attention away from the warts and moles.

Less time on cutesy slogans... less time on feel-good videos... And more focus on difference-making recruits and W's. That's what this shareholder wants.
Only last year was good?

Cupcakes or not, 8-5, 8-5, 10-4 is what happened the past 3 years.

You call that shit? I say your expectations of our school are hilariously overblown.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

chiefzona wrote:

So the story goes but Tate never tried it or him so he remains an OKG. I heard through a ahem...media type person that RR ok'd it but that story is still hearsay really. I don't believe RR went public with that so it seemed like Tate was just testing the waters.
Sounds like that rule is not hard and fast then, and he is selective about who he applies it to. Maybe invokes it in certain circumstances?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:It's my understanding (and i may be way wrong here) that a school must get permission from another school in order to talk to one of their coaches if they are under contract.
Don't think it's required, just common courtesy. RichRod's agent is still out there no doubt peddling his client.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Fishclamps wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Sounds like that rule is not hard and fast then, and he is selective about who he applies it to. Maybe invokes it in certain circumstances?

No, I think it's a pretty hard rule and it's one he broke. Sure, it's his team but if RR expects loyalty from his players and the fans.....we'll see how that goes. I think attendance will drop and might see some transfer out. Who knows. Playing with fire is never a safe bet unless you like to get burned.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

To all those guessing about Lute's romances with Kentucky, it's all in Lute's book, pages 120-123, and 169-170. To all those comparing Lute to RR, the difference is like night and day. Lute's life is the picture of character.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

chiefzona wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

No, I think it's a pretty hard rule and it's one he broke. Sure, it's his team but if RR expects loyalty from his players and the fans.....we'll see how that goes. I think attendance will drop and might see some transfer out. Who knows. Playing with fire is never a safe bet unless you like to get burned.
So? Players transfer every seaaon.

Attendance will drop because when it comes to football most fans have loyalty and only show up when we're winning.

I remember when we beat oregon at home, the zoo was all but empty, yet we start taking a lead and the students come crawling out of the woodworks.

Yet again the same basic shit for UofA football, what else is new?

Your predictions are an every season occurrence, nothing bold
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

MrMeow wrote:To all those guessing about Lute's romances with Kentucky, it's all in Lute's book, pages 120-123, and 169-170. To all those comparing Lute to RR, the difference is like night and day. Lute's life is the picture of character.
So? Who's to say he's telling the complete truth.

It really doesn't matter, if he had a chance to go to Kentucky but turned them down, good for us. If he went, they would hire someone else.

Sports operate as a business, people need to stop romanticizing them.

If you watch bball or football and scream at your tv, you just might be doing it wrong
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Also, no one was comparing him to Lute.

The more apt comparison was Miller, since he was looking at Maryland. But guess what! He stayed here instead, and outside of Machina people like Miller.

But win a p12 south championship and it gets you 0 leeway for the next season, only unbelievably overhyped expectations for next season.