UCLA

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCatInTheHat

UCLA Part II

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

For years UCLA has tried to be more than the "gutty little Bruins" in football in LA, but now I guess they're stuck with embracing it. If the T-shirt idea wasn't likely the result of somebody in their football offices with "creative" as part of a job title trying to flip the script, I'd probably find it almost as adorable as they do.

CatsbyAZ

Re: UCLA Part II

Post by CatsbyAZ »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:46 am For years UCLA has tried to be more than the "gutty little Bruins" in football in LA, but now I guess they're stuck with embracing it.
Allow us to miss these days:

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
TheCatInTheHat

Re: UCLA

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Yeah, and to be fair, Andy Enfield also went that "new sheriff in town" route for USC basketball before leaving for the ACC at SMU. Same approach: rinse and repeat. Anyway, continuing headwinds for UCLA football, despite Bolch's puff-piece today with AD Martin Jarmond blowing rainbow Skittles all over the place.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

College Football writer Matt Zemek had this to say about Deshaun Foster's debut Vs Hawaii last weekend:

"This is going to get ugly...Barely squeaking by Hawaii...UCLA just barely crawling past Hawaii on a late field goal. That does not bode well for DeShaun Foster...This offense looks awful. The Big Ten figures to chew on UCLA. My preseason prediction for UCLA, 2-10, and one of the wins being over Hawaii. Can't say I saw anything in Week 1 to make me rethink that prediction...I think this year could be very, very ugly for the Bruins if they don't find answers on the offense, if they don't make significant move forward."

What makes UCLA's showing on offense all the worse is they have a capable QB in Ethan Garbers who should've been able to air it out against Hawaii's secondary. I can hear it now as UCLA's season heats up: UCLA fans missing Chip Kelly, saying something like "at least Chip understood offense."
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

From a grim Ben Bolch-

"UCLA was thoroughly outclassed from start to finish of a 42-13 loss to Indiana on Saturday evening at the Rose Bowl, intensifying concerns about the Bruins’ ability to succeed in coach DeShaun Foster’s debut season...they only looked worse in their Big Ten Conference opener."

"There were no positives. UCLA’s defense failed to put up much resistance against Indiana quarterback Kurtis Rourke, who completed one pass after another on the way to piling up 307 yards and four touchdowns."

"[Foster's] most high-profile hire, offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, also has some explaining to do after presiding over an offense that has produced just one touchdown in each of its first two games."
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

That's a shame
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion