Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Coach Rod

Post by ASUHATER! »

We can't win any games in the Pac 12 with no offense. Scoring 20 points a game in conference play doesn't work in 2016.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Considering that RR'S whole game plan in his career Is to outscore the other team.

Staring 0-9 straight in the face and it's about to become a reality
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Remember what they did with BJ Denker?

Now this?

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 1d6a7.html" target="_blank

* Quarterbacks Brandon Dawkins (5 of 15), Anu Solomon (0 of 3) and Khalil Tate (0 of 2) combined for five completed passes in 20 attempts, totaling 116 yards. The completions were Arizona’s fewest since Sept. 2, 2000, when the UA had just three against Utah. The passing yards were a season low.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Washington State is going to take us to the woodshed.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:Considering that RR'S whole game plan in his career Is to outscore the other team.

Just beat ASU. That will be the Cats' bowl game and would nice to have the seniors go out on a W.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

It's looking like RR really didn't expect to be here this long and was not recruiting/planning for the long haul and now he's stuck here with this dearth of talent.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Considering that RR'S whole game plan in his career Is to outscore the other team.

Just beat ASU. That will be the Cats' bowl game and would nice to have the seniors go out on a W.
Just beat ASU? You better hope it doesn't backfire.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

UAdevil wrote:It's looking like RR really didn't expect to be here this long and was not recruiting/planning for the long haul and now he's stuck here with this dearth of talent.
Then he should of took the South Carolina Job and be on his marry way. Last night I saw HC that couldn't manage to get his offense going. Is he really struggling with West Coast Recruits that much that he better off with recruiting East Coast Recruit at a different school.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He needs to take another job at the FCS level where his small ball/athlete philosophy will work.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cordera89 wrote: Then he should of took the South Carolina Job
Was it even offered to him?

Byrne said it was offered to him, others did not. Just that he was in the discussions.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azcat49 wrote:He needs to take another job at the FCS level where his small ball/athlete philosophy will work.
No he need to go take another job in the East Coast.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I think he's better suited to be a funny/aw shucks color analyst now. Other than that he can find success at East Carolina or Charlotte or Marshall or something.

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:I think he's better suited to be a funny/aw shucks color analyst now. Other than that he can find success at East Carolina or Charlotte or Marshall or something.
I think he need to do a better job at Arizona.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UAdevil wrote:It's looking like RR really didn't expect to be here this long and was not recruiting/planning for the long haul and now he's stuck here with this dearth of talent.
I suspect there's some truth in this.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think many of us thought that and that si why so many of us are so pissed at him for trying to get out of dodge and leaving this stinking, steaming pile of sh*t we are having to watch.

GB should reassign his ass and make Rita work in the UofA kitchen at minimum wage making her nacho dip for back talking students
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:
cordera89 wrote: Then he should of took the South Carolina Job
Was it even offered to him?

Byrne said it was offered to him, others did not. Just that he was in the discussions.
I think you know how it goes Merk. One of those "this job is yours if you want it" type of things but no "formal" offer. Just like when UA offered whoever the hell it was (my brain isn't working at the moment) before Miller, but it wasn't a "formal" offer, so the coach could say we offered, but we could say we didn't. blah blah blah.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Tim Floyd!

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Tim Floyd!
Ah, yes, that's who it was. Thanks Hater :)

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I get that people are pissed at how the team is performing. I get they are pissed that he considered the Cocks last season. I also agree with the apologists that point out he sacked the D coaching staff a year after winning P12 south, I think it would have been tough to do it any sooner. I truly believe he is trying his very best.

Come to think of it, it is kind of scary that we are this bad and he is trying his very best. Yeah, the injuries make it tough to assess his coaching abilities. When I think about it, I think that RR created a system that worked like gang busters when he was at WV and had a lot of athletes and was going up against a weak BigEast. It worked when it was new and coaches had a limited amount of tape on it. The problem is that by the time he got to Michigan, everyone had seen the scheme and were able to prepare defensively. Also, the sheer size and relative speed of the competition nullified the scheme's effectiveness. And then, when his offense stopped scoring, through ineffectiveness and injuries, the inadequacy of the defense and the recruiting were amplified.

I like RR when he is not having a tantrum on the sidelines. I also hate losing. He's trying but it is just not good enough anymore. He gets next year, more due to the recruits he has on the hook than due to any loyalty I have. That loyalty is now spent having to live through this dumpster fire of a season. If he can't pull out a better-than-.500 conference record, I am totally done.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:Tim Floyd!

I can still picture Scheer hiding behind the bushes trying to get a picture of Floyd.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I keep saying this over and over, and it appears that only about three to four people actually get it.

If anyone is hanging their hat on next years recruiting class, you're simply diluting yourself and grasping at straws.

No one in next years recruiting class outside of Johnson and Tilford are game changers. These are all mid to low-level recruits, just like the other 90% that RichRod recruits and signs.

What you have on the field now and the players RS now, are the base skill set that the coaches will have to work with.

I'm not even sure you could try or go out of your way and recruit this badly over the years. The evaluation misses are staggering to say the least. Virtually a good 50% of our roster is boarder-line PAC12 caliber player.

Even if everything goes perfect this roster of undersized, slow and generally poor level of recruits is your base foundation for at-least two more years.

That is the soonest you will get a sniff of a turnaround.

Next years class is just more of the same. There is nothing special about any of it.

Rich rod owns this ****fest of a roster, and while it was degrading and being filled with slow, undersized, sub-par talent over and over for all to see, he was dancing with the east coast devil while busy dreaming of greener pastures.

The only thing green now is that fake ass plastic grass that he brought with him and the fans get to live through the abject failures of poor recruiting and disloyal job searches with the results and tone of diminishing returns slammed right in your face.

Sorry guys, next years recruiting class is just more of the same. There will be no white knight that rides to the rescue.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Nailed it GC. Piss poor job evaluating and he snake oiled us into thinking this was the way to recruit.

Fire him now GB, otherwise we will sink to the abyss of football.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

BTW 49, you are one of the guys who get it. Thanks for the kind words!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'd be OK with letting RR go this year. Who's got $8 mil laying around?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:I think many of us thought that and that si why so many of us are so pissed at him for trying to get out of dodge and leaving this stinking, steaming pile of sh*t we are having to watch.
Ding ding ding and those of us who said as much were "bad fans" in the offseason.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

azgreg wrote:I'd be OK with letting RR go this year. Who's got $8 mil laying around?

Greg, thats the paradox. We are stuck no matter what and Mr. greener pastures RR gets to make serious bank every year while waiting for the turnaround to take effect or the don't let the door hit you in the ass syndrome comes to fruition. GB is going to have some sleepless nights.

Either way for the next few years football will be a mediocre suckfest with the same poor quality and the program will become even more irrelevant as we take our place as the perennial bottom dwellers of the PAC12 South.

There is literally nothing we can do, it will take years to dig out of this low level roster, so you best buckle up.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

As unhappy as RichRod looks with this season, you would thing he would entertain a buyout, maybe $4M, then go back to the booth.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:As unhappy as RichRod looks with this season, you would thing he would entertain a buyout, maybe $4M, then go back to the booth.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:As unhappy as RichRod looks with this season, you would thing he would entertain a buyout, maybe $4M, then go back to the booth.
Don't think his ego would allow it. Head coaches aren't wired that way.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

What I love is we have to pay the guy 8 million for doing his job at a 40% success rate. This one is on Byrne as he got sold a bill of goods that isnt worth a sack of potatoes. Next years class is fools gold that wont help, there are maybe 4-5 guys in the class that are actual talent we could use, everyone else is MWC talent which will get beat up left and right. Im shocked that Stoops was able to bring in decent to good talent with crap facilities, apathetic fan base and a horrible AD at the time. Arizona should be in contention for the south every 4-5 years with 8-5 years in between. Not 2-10 seasons with 2 wins being against lower level talent. I agree with you GC, this isnt a 1 year rebuilding project, its probably a 3-4 year project with a coach who actually wants to be here and thinks he can do something other than use this as a stepping stone to the same tier of program. South Carolina is the equivalent of UofA, just in a tougher conference. One guy who I think could do something special is Scott Frost. I am highly impressed with him so far...he could be a good guy to get now.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

The longer RR is "here", the longer it's going to take to get ourselves out of this hole. RR said Wazzu stuck with what they do and they're now "clicking". That should be a red flag (or a surprise to few) that he has no intentions of going away from what he has done at other programs- recruit small, undersized players while putting a premium on "speed". Good fucking luck getting more 5'7", 175lbs (but really fast!) running backs.

We're fucked. I lol'd hard when RR said he would "study" the correlation between turf and injuries and that he'd be open to going back to grass after the turdwarranty. Jesus Christ. Not like we had primo grass before but I'm sure we spent a fuck ton on the plastic shit that's out there now.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

I'm over this year now...giving the dump on RR a break and will hope for a ASsU win while locking down some more recruits. All the complaining is a negaivitibe for recruits who check out this page. We call all agree he get's another year, so bitching to bitch is just being a bitch at the end of the day. Bear down and go Wildcats!

I guess everyone now realizes what Anu brought to the table
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I think many of us thought that and that si why so many of us are so pissed at him for trying to get out of dodge and leaving this stinking, steaming pile of sh*t we are having to watch.
Ding ding ding and those of us who said as much were "bad fans" in the offseason.
I am going to break my promise 1x, but will not direct my commentary at any poster in particular - although I will build upon what CST has posted above.

A LOT of us were "bad fans" when....

- We scoffed at Rich Rods opening presser declaration (as disingenuous) that 'he wanted to retire here" the same day he set foot in Tucson for the first time
- We challenged the implications that he did a great job at Michigan and had no responsibility for his abject failure there (which is exactly what it was); the notion that it was all on "the insiders who purposely undermined any chance he had at success" was laughable.
- We did not "understand the full story" when we questioned his decision to shred all his recruiting files before leaving Morgantown, and condemned his attempt to wiggle his way out the buyout that was part of his contract at WVU.
- We rolled our eyes at the fawning over how we had "the best S&C program in the county" right after he arrived
- We questioned his open ridicule of the "lack of talent" he inherited during his first spring ball (their lack of speed was offset by their small size... yuk, yuk, yuk)
- We were not bough in to his "OKG recruiting" philosophy... and disagreed with the suggestion that he was recruiting "insane speed all at every position on the field"
- We disputed the contention that the new turf field would leverage all the superior speed we had on the roster
- We suggested that he would bolt UA for a superior job the moment he had a chance... he has never been given that chance, and he almost bolted anyway.

I believe it is pretty clear that ntUSC offered him the job but not a pay raise... and he was not leaving (for a mediocre SEC program, mind you) unless he landed a bigger paycheck. Unfortunately, those golden handcuffs worked - seems to me there is evidence that he is all about the Benjamins.

Some of us do not act like a publicly traded BoD that rubber stamps and supports every decision the CEO makes... we are actual shareholders who are invested in the program and not the caretaker hired to oversee it. Blind faith and support from Corporate boards has ruined many a publicly traded company; but they sure do make the guy running the ship (to the detriment of everyone beneath them) rich. Such is the "good fan".

This roster is not filled with elite speed, and has not been since the current regime took over. In fact it is below average.

Stoops was not a great coach, by any stretch, and it was time for him to go when he was terminated. That said, I supported him until the end and rooted for him personally because he was accountable, and did not make excuses or blame others for his failures. He was as genuine and honest as could be, and he treated everyone in the AD (even the little people) exceptionally well (cough, cough). I'll get behind a guy like that 7 days a week and twice on Sundays, and give him the benefit of the doubt because he never had any hidden agenda or phony PR blitzes. He only tried his damndest to win... even his skills were not up the challenge in front of him.

The man in charge should be held to a higher standard than the people beneath him; his position (and his compensation) demands as much - and sets the standards for the program. So a recruit who takes visits is "interested but not committed", and needs to be cut loose because "to succeed we need guys who are "all-in". Well what the fuck is "kicking tires"? Give me a fucking break.

Call some of us haters all you want... but there has been plenty of evidence suggesting what was going on for those who wanted to listen and pay attention from Day One. Everyone says they hate a leader or candidate who "tells them what they want to hear"... until they find one who does.

I liked Stoops and defended him, but realized he was in over his head. I have been unwavering in my support of Miller. I am not a critic of every coach in our program - only of those who I think deserve to be questioned. The RR critics among us may look pretty smart right now... that may change. I hope it does, because I don't want to "start over" any more than the next guy. I'd rather be supporting a winner than have my skepticism prove warranted in hindsight.

But I am not going to sit by and let the sheep tell me I am a bad fan because I don't fall in line with their rosy colored view unless it is supported by facts and evidence. Peace.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It is just depressing knowing already it'll be a shock if we win more than 10 games total between 2016 and 2018. It is like we can already see the outcome. But fuck it, I'll still be watching and listening and posting here.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

I think there are far more skeptics now Harvey, both here and on Scout. Me included. Given the current state of affairs there aren't very many left playing the bad fan card anymore. I think we're down to varying levels of remaining patience mainly due to the new defensive staff and the reality of the high-priced buy out. Hell, several are even beginning to question the Golden Boy himself, Greg Byrne, on that score. Heretofore, he was untouchable. I bought in hook, line and sinker. But the tire kicking and the sorry state of recruiting and the absolute failure in player development has convinced me that I was duped. I feel like the only one that wasn't "pulling the rope" in the same direction was RR himself. Hard Edge, my ass. I hope you'll sick around and keep posting.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I am still holding out hope that if we can get a good, durable RB in here(Tilford?), and our O-line is bolstered by some of the Redshirts (Eletise and Walker?)..our offense can turn it back on. Our defense is another story but I think they only have to marginally improve next year to get over .500 in P12 play. I think we have the coaches to make that happen. I am not as positive as I used to be but I am definitely not as negative as some of you all. I also may not be as well-informed, I don't study this shit in too much detail and I can't read posts longer than a few lines..I just feel that not having a RB really kills this O. BearDown.

PS..I don't know what everybody's definition of "Bad Fan" is but mine is someone that doesn't make an effort to support the team and just expects to be entertained without putting anything back in. i.e. buying tickets, donating to athletic dept., purchasing gear, etc. Complaining about performance, criticizing the program, AD, or coaches, that doesn't make you a "Bad Fan" in my opinion, it doesn't make you right either ;)
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
I am going to break my promise 1x, but will not direct my commentary at any poster in particular - although I will build upon what CST has posted above.

- We scoffed at Rich Rods opening presser declaration (as disingenuous) that 'he wanted to retire here" the same day he set foot in Tucson for the first time
- We challenged the implications that he did a great job at Michigan and had no responsibility for his abject failure there (which is exactly what it was); the notion that it was all on "the insiders who purposely undermined any chance he had at success" was laughable.
- We did not "understand the full story" when we questioned his decision to shred all his recruiting files before leaving Morgantown, and condemned his attempt to wiggle his way out the buyout that was part of his contract at WVU.
- We rolled our eyes at the fawning over how we had "the best S&C program in the county" right after he arrived
- We questioned his open ridicule of the "lack of talent" he inherited during his first spring ball (their lack of speed was offset by their small size... yuk, yuk, yuk)
- We were not bough in to his "OKG recruiting" philosophy... and disagreed with the suggestion that he was recruiting "insane speed all at every position on the field"
- We disputed the contention that the new turf field would leverage all the superior speed we had on the roster
- We suggested that he would bolt UA for a superior job the moment he had a chance... he has never been given that chance, and he almost bolted anyway.

I believe it is pretty clear that ntUSC offered him the job but not a pay raise... and he was not leaving (for a mediocre SEC program, mind you) unless he landed a bigger paycheck. Unfortunately, those golden handcuffs worked - seems to me there is evidence that he is all about the Benjamins.

Some of us do not act like a publicly traded BoD that rubber stamps and supports every decision the CEO makes... we are actual shareholders who are invested in the program and not the caretaker hired to oversee it. Blind faith and support from Corporate boards has ruined many a publicly traded company; but they sure do make the guy running the ship (to the detriment of everyone beneath them) rich. Such is the "good fan".

This roster is not filled with elite speed, and has not been since the current regime took over. In fact it is below average.

Stoops was not a great coach, by any stretch, and it was time for him to go when he was terminated. That said, I supported him until the end and rooted for him personally because he was accountable, and did not make excuses or blame others for his failures. He was as genuine and honest as could be, and he treated everyone in the AD (even the little people) exceptionally well (cough, cough). I'll get behind a guy like that 7 days a week and twice on Sundays, and give him the benefit of the doubt because he never had any hidden agenda or phony PR blitzes. He only tried his damndest to win... even his skills were not up the challenge in front of him.

The man in charge should be held to a higher standard than the people beneath him; his position (and his compensation) demands as much - and sets the standards for the program. So a recruit who takes visits is "interested but not committed", and needs to be cut loose because "to succeed we need guys who are "all-in". Well what the fuck is "kicking tires"? Give me a fucking break.

Call some of us haters all you want... but there has been plenty of evidence suggesting what was going on for those who wanted to listen and pay attention from Day One. Everyone says they hate a leader or candidate who "tells them what they want to hear"... until they find one who does.

I liked Stoops and defended him, but realized he was in over his head. I have been unwavering in my support of Miller. I am not a critic of every coach in our program - only of those who I think deserve to be questioned. The RR critics among us may look pretty smart right now... that may change. I hope it does, because I don't want to "start over" any more than the next guy. I'd rather be supporting a winner than have my skepticism prove warranted in hindsight.

But I am not going to sit by and let the sheep tell me I am a bad fan because I don't fall in line with their rosy colored view unless it is supported by facts and evidence. Peace.
Then stop the bitchin and get behind the football team, HC, Staff, Players and hope they come out with better result next season. Even thou this is going to be his first losing season at Arizona, It wont be his firsts as HC. He going to have make correction regardless if it Recruiting, Scheme, Personal, Staff Change or what ever etc. You got to let him fix it.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:It is just depressing knowing already it'll be a shock if we win more than 10 games total between 2016 and 2018. It is like we can already see the outcome. But fuck it, I'll still be watching and listening and posting here.
Depressing you say. Were going improve regardless under him.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Then stop the bitchin and get behind the football team, HC, Staff, Players and hope they come out with better result next season. Even thou this is going to be his first losing season at Arizona, It wont be his firsts as HC. He going to have make correction regardless if it Recruiting, Scheme, Personal, Staff Change or what ever etc. You got to let him fix it.
Sorry, I am not a blind faith kind of guy - that is one area where we differ. I also judge our conference record (where we actually play real teams) and by that measure we have 4 losing seasons in 5 tries.

I reserve my unconditional love and support for my family. If coaches worked for free, I might make an exception. Considering we owe him $9MM if we fire him "without cause" (even typing that term as we sit 2-6, 0-5 makes me laugh) - he can take the criticism he has earned like a big boy. I "owe" the staff nothing.

I respect your opinion, although I do not at all agree with it.

In the spirit of election season, I ask "Are we better off than we were 5 years ago? If we were to make a change after this season (which we will not), we would have spent $20MM on our HC in that time. Have we gotten our money's worth?
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Hell, at this point id love to get fired from my current job and be paid 100K. RR can get fired for doing 40% of his job and make 8 million dollars, this isnt the best look for Byrne. I know we are stuck with him for another year but maybe the college sports god owe us one this year after all the shit we have been through and someone will offer him a job and he will get out of dodge?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Ahh hope...tis a beautiful and sad thing.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

scumdevils86 wrote:Ahh hope...tis a beautiful and sad thing.
Kept Chicago going for 108 years.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No way RichRod is going to make anyone's short list outside of FCS where recruiting isn't as demanding.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I'm sure we have a bunch of real winners just queued at GB's door to coach this squad and it's ardent fan base.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

I've supported Coach Rod from the start, but kinda feel a bit foolish now about really believing him when he said he wanted to retire here in his first press conference. I did believe that for many years, but not now, just a line I think. Shame on me.

In retrospect, turns out Stoops was just a bad overall head coach with a bad sideline demeaner just too whiny and delirius for a UA or any college coach to display. That act grew thin. Though Rich Rod does act like a moderated mini Stoops at times on less frequent occasion. But Stoops did get nfl level talent in here. Just think of that. I would have never extended Stoops the very first time, and many I knew agreed why are we keeping this guy really, but he did a functional job of recruiting as it turns out, even though his detached recruiting style was off-putting to many.

We need an indoor football practice facility. Byrne isn't gonna be in the mood to burn $8 million buying out Rod. He gets at least one more year. Some of this golden handcuff stuff for Rod Miller and Byrne was driven by a big donor who wanted it structured in a retention manner, so I personally am not laying that much stock in the whole retention thing, not a big issue for me. Any many head coaches everywhere have handcuff clauses one way or another. Byrne's been great, personable with fans and athletes, and great at fundraising. Yeah he's taking some flack now, perhaps deserved if you're a very anti-Rod fan since Byrne hired him, but overall he's a great AD.

If Miller goes wacko if he gets down to 4 players, then we'll discuss this topic again :lol:
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Merkin wrote:No way RichRod is going to make anyone's short list outside of FCS where recruiting isn't as demanding.
I'm not sure there isn't some silly AD out there. Or maybe I'm trying to project some hope.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Well this WSU game is straight embarrassing. Is Arizona ranked late 100s? Can RR just resign? Just take the desk job money and move on? Byrne, that contract is terrible!!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I have a feeling RichRod will take a negotiated buyout far less than the $8M owed.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Gofundme to fire richrod time?