Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: Coach Rod

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
azcat49 wrote:That is some basackwards thinking. The reason he won 8 8 and 10 is BECAUSE he had Stoops left over talent which was better than what RR has recruited to date
Kadeem mutha frickin Carey was a Stoops' recruit! Same with Scooby Wright, Shaq Richardson, Marquis Flowers and so on.
Not Scooby Merk. He's RR/Casteel

I stand corrected!

Will Parks too, who is playing on Sundays.

Not sure if this is current, but players in the NFL

Ka'Deem Carey RB CHI
Ricky Elmore DE WAS
Marquis Flowers LB CIN
Nick Foles QB KC
Nick Folk PK NYJ
Robert Golden S PIT
Rob Gronkowski TE NE
Earl Mitchell DT MIA
Nate Ness CB DET
Will Parks S DEN
Brooks Reed DE ATL
Trevin Wade CB NYG
Parks was an RR (Matty D?) recruit... decommitted from Pitt and came here in RR's first class.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Project me out a few RR NFLers on this roster?

Alsadek

That is all I can think of
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Project me out a few RR NFLers on this roster?

Alsadek

More disturbing than the lack of NFL talent is the dearth of All Conference players.... could we get shut out?

Combine the 2 and it doesn't make recruiting any easier.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
OSUCat wrote:Don't forget Matt Scott and Denker!!
Denker was a RR recruit.
Wait.....I have to check this list out.....

Over the past 4 years

1: Denker
2: Javelle Allen
3: Khari McGee
4:Jesse Scroggins
5: Anu Solomon (Only 4 star)
6: Jerrard Randall
7: Brandon Dawkins
8: Zach Werlinger
9: Khalil Tate

That is one terrible list for a offensive guru.

TBH, I would not be shocked if Rhett started over Braxton. Its the type of thing that happens at Arizona....

FYI, if you want to be depressed review the recruiting class the last four years and see how many 4 star players have not worked out....
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Alsadek

DeVonte Neal maybe?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:

Alsadek

DeVonte Neal maybe?
Flannigan-Fowles
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RR says he knows what's wrong and how to fix it. I guess we'll find out.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

Alsadek

DeVonte Neal maybe?
Flannigan-Fowles
Maybe Eletise or Keenan Walker?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chicat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

Alsadek

DeVonte Neal maybe?
Flannigan-Fowles

Yep that is a good one Chi. I doubt we have any all conference guys and we haven't had many in his 5 years, at least from his recruited. Guys. Scooby being the biggest one
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

OSUCat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
OSUCat wrote:Don't forget Matt Scott and Denker!!
Denker was a RR recruit.
Wait.....I have to check this list out.....

Over the past 4 years

1: Denker
2: Javelle Allen
3: Khari McGee
4:Jesse Scroggins
5: Anu Solomon (Only 4 star)
6: Jerrard Randall
7: Brandon Dawkins
8: Zach Werlinger
9: Khalil Tate

That is one terrible list for a offensive guru.

TBH, I would not be shocked if Rhett started over Braxton. Its the type of thing that happens at Arizona....

FYI, if you want to be depressed review the recruiting class the last four years and see how many 4 star players have not worked out....
Scroggins, Randall, and Tate were also 4 stars (JS & JR may have even been 5* out of HS). Dawkins was fairly highly rated as well.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

Alsadek

DeVonte Neal maybe?
Flannigan-Fowles
guys

Yep that is a good one Chi. I doubt we have any all conference guys and we haven't had many in his 5 years, at least from his recruited. Guys. Scooby being the biggestbone
At least we don't have to read "but Scooby was only a 2-star" whenever recruiting rankings are discussed any more.

Like I have said before... finding one needle in the haystack does not turn all the hay into needles. Now we all can agree on that.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

FootballScoop is reporting that there's a possibility that Michalczik rejoins Tedford at his new job at Fresno State.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azpenguin wrote:FootballScoop is reporting that there's a possibility that Michalczik rejoins Tedford at his new job at Fresno State.

That's been talked about for awhile now.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep he would get a promotion to OC. Hate to lose that Oregon kid if that happens
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Make RIchRod a lot more happier to be back in the booth.

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

If Harsin some how becomes the Head Coach at Oregon, would Yates be a front runner for the Head Coach job at Boise State? Or maybe Yates follows Harsin to Oregon?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

OSUCat wrote:If Harsin some how becomes the Head Coach at Oregon, would Yates be a front runner for the Head Coach job at Boise State? Or maybe Yates follows Harsin to Oregon?
Oregon want someone to win championships every year I don't think Harsin would be capable of that. I'm thinking of Les Miles to Oregon.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

OSUCat wrote:If Harsin some how becomes the Head Coach at Oregon, would Yates be a front runner for the Head Coach job at Boise State? Or maybe Yates follows Harsin to Oregon?
After that story on Yates' financial issues, I kinda doubt either of those would happen.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Maybe going 8-5, 8-5, 10-3 in the first 3 years actually hurt in the long run. RR though it was all going good and didn't think getting better recruiters /recruites was a need.
Starting with a couple loosing records may have helped him notice sooner than later that this might happen. Oh well.
Mike Luke's burner account.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

KillerKlown wrote:Maybe going 8-5, 8-5, 10-3 in the first 3 years actually hurt in the long run. RR though it was all going good and didn't think getting better recruiters /recruites was a need.
Starting with a couple loosing records may have helped him notice sooner than later that this might happen. Oh well.
Not really thou because would anything be different if the 2015 season didn't go the way that it did after Arizona had it best season since 98 in 2014. I mean just image coming off 10 win season, South Division title, PAC 12 Title Game and Fiesta Bowl Game to be shatter by two rashes of injuries to the team in back to back season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Every team has injuries. Tired of that excuse.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Every team has injuries. Tired of that excuse.

Miler was out coached then by Butler and Gonzaga?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Sid

Post by Sid »

Caught a snipit of this today on the Paul Finebaum show during lunch. Paul said he took a ton of heat as many Bama fans thought he was the sole reason Rich declined the job. Guess Paul pissed off Rita on his local Bama radio show while Rich was interviewing for the position.

Thanks Paul!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:

Miler was out coached then by Butler and Gonzaga?
Funny you bring up Miller in this thread...

Rich Rod is to Nick Saban & Alabama Football as Tim Floyd is to Sean Miller & Arizona basketball.

As for the injuries, yes they matter. Have injuries decimated every RR roster in 7 of his 8 combined seasons at Michigan & Arizona?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Is there a Fire RR thread or is this just encompassing?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

OSUCat wrote:Is there a Fire RR thread or is this just encompassing?
Post of the week!
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Really man? Is that what you really want to see. You be proven wrong when RR get this team improve.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

cordera89 wrote:
Really man? Is that what you really want to see. You be proven wrong when RR get this team improve.
Well, since I wrote it, I do really want to see it. I hope I am proven wrong, but recruiting and development has been so bad over the last 5 years that I can't even see a possible winning season (and I've been a RR supporter and backer for years). But this is all beating a dead horse, because we know the excuses/reasons why you think this season has gone poorly, and I just disagree.

Now, i will laugh my ass off when little R is the starting qb next year. RR favors one thing at QB above all else, someone who knows his system, and little RR probably has a leg up on that.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
Next year if the team goes 4-8, you will declare victory "because the team improve".

I hope it does... but unless it is 8-4 good, it is a marginal year. 6-6 or less and its another shitty season.

This recruiting class was not going to move the needle immediately, but the current trajectory of this class is going to add pressure to next year's results. The promise of a dramatic future turnaround based on talent coming in the door is fading fast, and it was not that bright to begin with.

As for the fairness of expecting a turnaround:
1. CU was 4-9 in 2015, 10-2 in 2016, in year 4 (most upperclassmen from an inherited dumpster fire)
2. WSU was 3-9 in 2014, 9-3 in 2015, in year 4 (most upperclassmen from an inherited dumpster fire)

If those 2 coaches/ teams can improve by 6 wins with a roster full of shitty inherited talent, expecting a 5-win gain from a guy who is fielding a team full of his own recruits is not unreasonable.
CatinVA

Post by CatinVA »

OSUCat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Well, since I wrote it, I do really want to see it. I hope I am proven wrong, but recruiting and development has been so bad over the last 5 years that I can't even see a possible winning season (and I've been a RR supporter and backer for years). But this is all beating a dead horse, because we know the excuses/reasons why you think this season has gone poorly, and I just disagree.

Now, i will laugh my ass off when little R is the starting qb next year. RR favors one thing at QB above all else, someone who knows his system, and little RR probably has a leg up on that.
rr starting for RR because RR likes rr's knowledge of the offense...#RrCeption? Can that be a thing?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Only thing Rhett will be doing next season is holding a clipboard.

Only way he will see the field is if a firing is inevitable, and RichRod wants to give Rhett some Div I Power Conference exposure. But that would blow his redshirt.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cordera89 wrote:
We were embarassingly bad this year. The question isn't whether we improve, it's how much.

.500 in the Pac, ok, I can see keeping RR. Less than that...going from awful to below average after this many years on the job is not much to keep someone around for.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
We were embarassingly bad this year. The question isn't whether we improve, it's how much.

.500 in the Pac, ok, I can see keeping RR. Less than that...going from awful to below average after this many years on the job is not much to keep someone around for.
Well tell that to Harvey because I'm not expecting 8 win category just to improve. Offense has to improve, Defense need to take another level up from improving in year 2 with Yates. Above .500 would be good, Keeping him will be another than if he doesn't suffer a third riddle season with injuries and have a complete healthy team.

Embarrassing? Has Arizona yet been embarrassing in their Football History.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cordera89 wrote:Well tell that to Harvey because I'm not expecting 8 win category just to improve. Offense has to improve, Defense need to take another level up from improving in year 2 with Yates. Above .500 would be good, Keeping him will be another than if he doesn't suffer a third riddle season with injuries and have a complete healthy team.

Yes. I remember all the way back in 2016 when they were embarrassing.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azgreg wrote:
cordera89 wrote:Well tell that to Harvey because I'm not expecting 8 win category just to improve. Offense has to improve, Defense need to take another level up from improving in year 2 with Yates. Above .500 would be good, Keeping him will be another than if he doesn't suffer a third riddle season with injuries and have a complete healthy team.

I'm not talking about just the 2016 season, I'm talking about several decade back in their football history to said hmmm their were quite embarrassing football game by Arizona.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Apparently history is the past .... except certain years.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cordera89 wrote:
azgreg wrote:

I'm not talking about just the 2016 season, I'm talking about several decade back in their football history to said hmmm their were quite embarrassing football game by Arizona.
Since the year I was born (1964) the Cats have 14 seasons in which they won 4 or less games. Its happened 8 times since joining the Pac. Read a book for once.
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

Last season was an embarrassment for the program. And anybody that thinks differently is either a troll or a buffoon.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Beating ASU saved the season from being a total disaster. It was more of a car wreck, we will recover, but it may not happen for a while.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Well tell that to Harvey because I'm not expecting 8 win category just to improve. Offense has to improve, Defense need to take another level up from improving in year 2 with Yates. Above .500 would be good, Keeping him will be another than if he doesn't suffer a third riddle season with injuries and have a complete healthy team.

RR has won a lower % of his conference games than every coach at Arizona since 1980, save 1.

Stop talking about how bad Arizona's history is - and how good RR is - when he has had less collective success in the conference than every predecessor in the last 36 years except John Mackovic. Does. Not. Compute.

8 wins = 3 OOC + 5-4 in the PAC. Beat a Houston team with a 1st year HC at home, and go better than .500 in conference play... I do not think that is unreasonable.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

RR has won a lower % of his conference games than every coach at Arizona since 1980, save 1.

Stop talking about how bad Arizona's history is - and how good RR is - when he has had less collective success in the conference than every predecessor in the last 36 years except John Mackovic. Does. Not. Compute.

8 wins = 3 OOC + 5-4 in the PAC. Beat a Houston team with a 1st year HC at home, and go better than .500 in conference play... I do not think that is unreasonable.
Harvey, Conference Record doesn't make a successful season to any team if they don't win their conference.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:Harvey, Conference Record doesn't make a successful season to any team if they don't win their conference.
Totally untrue.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Uhh Cordera, Ohio State didn't win their conference. Will their season be successful if they win the national championship?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

carcassdragger wrote:Uhh Cordera, Ohio State didn't win their conference. Will their season be successful if they win the national championship?
Is Arizona the same as Ohio State by any chance.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:Uhh Cordera, Ohio State didn't win their conference. Will their season be successful if they win the national championship?
You said "any team". Is Ohio State football not a team?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
You said "any team". Is Ohio State football not a team?
Is Arizona the same as Ohio State, Don't twist my words. It a simple yes or no.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cordera89 wrote: Harvey, Conference Record doesn't make a successful season to any team if they don't win their conference.

Yes or no, does "any team" mean "any team", or does it mean "any team that is not OSU"?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Keep being wrong cordera, you have a reputation to uphold.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:
cordera89 wrote: Harvey, Conference Record doesn't make a successful season to any team if they don't win their conference.

Yes or no, does "any team" mean "any team", or does it mean "any team that is not OSU"?
Did Chicat pick Ohio State as any team?. That answers your entire first question. Is Arizona the same as Ohio state in that regard? Yes or no.

I'm not a big fan of making the conference record the centerpiece on how a team should be successful over their Overall Record.

I don't see the entire landscape of college football teams bitchin about having a better conference if they can or cant win their conference.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azgreg wrote:Keep being wrong cordera, you have a reputation to uphold.
I have no reputation, I rather tell it how it is. If you don't like it then don't reply.