Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: Coach Rod

Post by azcat49 »

Yes AZ Is just like Ohio St. Both play in a conference where winning it means big things and their fans demand to win the conference first and foremost

Are they at the same level, no but that is why most of us realize RR will never get able to get us there.

Just amazing how you continue to Nutt hug RR but I do hope you are rewarded for your unyielding commitment as in that case we all would win.

It's just not going to happen
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:Uhh Cordera, Ohio State didn't win their conference. Will their season be successful if they win the national championship?
Is Arizona the same as Ohio State by any chance.
You said "any team". Is Ohio State football not a team?
Is Arizona the same as Ohio State, Don't twist my words. It a simple yes or no.
Arizona is a Division 1 state university with a football team in a Power 5 conference. Seems to me they are the same.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

The only thing I would care is to have a winning season overall.

Conference wouldn't mean much if you don't win your conference in which Arizona will never achieves this.

I respect RR as a coach, It not going to change my view on him. If he get the team to improve above .500 and get us back to bowl bound in the 2017 season, That a win for him, the staff and the team, Not you, Not me, or everyone else.

If he doesn't, Then he get fired plain and simple.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Holy shit, if he is never going to win the conference, fire his ass now. THx for the clarification. Let's find a guy who can win this thing
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:The only thing I would care is to have a winning season overall.

Conference wouldn't mean much if you don't win your conference in which Arizona will never achieves this.

I respect RR as a coach, It not going to change my view on him. If he get the team to improve above .500 and get us back to bowl bound in the 2017 season, That a win for him, the staff and the team, Not you, Not me, or everyone else.

Why do you put so much weight on 3 automatic wins against teams that Chandler HS could play tough? That is your choice, but you set the bar for a successful season (bowl-bound) at 3-6 in the PAC.

Excluding the Mackovic years, Arizona's career conference record was 126-118-6 when Rich Rod arrived. Even Tony Mason went 0.500.

I care about having a winning season against decent/good teams... unfortunately, the only ones we typically play are in the PAC.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
cordera89 wrote:The only thing I would care is to have a winning season overall.

Not sure why you put so much weight on 3 automatic wins against teams that Chandler HS could play tough - but that is your choice.
Why does that matter to you on who to play in the 3 Non conference game. It doesn't matter who were playing against unless you want to see Arizona get their asses kick by 3 non quality opponent and then give byrne a reason to fired RR right. I don't care who we play as long as they win them.

It quite funny how you really want the program to suffer on who they play in the 3 non conference game. But hey that just you.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Used to be the 3 non-conf games were a Power 5, Mid-major, and a cupcake or Div IAA.

Guess those days are over.

Even last year the Cats should have lost to Grambling but their star QB went down. Man that guy was good, best QB on the field.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Not sure why you put so much weight on 3 automatic wins against teams that Chandler HS could play tough - but that is your choice.
Why does that matter to you on who to play in the 3 Non conference game. It doesn't matter who were playing against unless you want to see Arizona get their asses kick by 3 non quality opponent and then give byrne a reason to fired RR right. I don't care who we play as long as they win them.

It quite funny how you really want the program to suffer on who they play in the 3 non conference game. But hey that just you.
I do not want the program to suffer... I want it to succeed legitimately, not artificially declare victory based on inflated results paid for with fool's gold.

I measure our success against what we have achieved historically (using a fair standard for comparison). Collectively, RR's tenure has fallen well short of that mediocre expectation.

Beating up on nobody's is not flourishing. Who gets excited when we beat NAU? You obviously, but not many others.

You are the one with the defeatist attitude - thinking the best we should expect is to win 1/3 of our conference games.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Cordera, do you think we should we move down to D-2 so we can compete for championships?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Merkin wrote:Used to be the 3 non-conf games were a Power 5, Mid-major, and a cupcake or Div IAA.

Guess those days are over.

Even last year the Cats should have lost to Grambling but their star QB went down. Man that guy was good, best QB on the field.
They're getting back to that but it's taken a bit. Next year is Houston, @UTEP and NAU; Houston might as well be P5 but that's a stroke of luck that they turned out to be good. 2018 is @Houston, BYU, and TBA (likely an FCS.) 2019 is @Hawaii, NAU, and Texas Tech (they can play a 13th game if they want due to the Hawaii trip, but doubt they will.) 2020 is Hawaii, Portland State, and @Texas Tech. 2021 is BYU @ Las Vegas, SDSU and TBA, 2022 is @SDSU and Mississippi St., with a game @Mississippi St. in 2023. After that, BYU, Nebraska, Kansas State and Virginia Tech are on the schedule. The last years of Stoops and Livengood really handcuffed the schedule as far as playing cupcakes. The UTSA series, Nevada, and UNLV all were scheduled under their watch with no P5 thrown in after the Oklahoma State series. IIRC, Byrne mentioned a while back that a number of schools weren't willing to schedule home-and-homes or wanted too much to schedule, and that "it takes two schools to schedule a game."
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

UA is not going to the Rose Bowl by winning most of their non-conference games, having a losing conference record but still go to a Bowl Game. Why I care about conference games. If UA had already been to the RB I might think slightly different BUT I doubt it.

GB and RR say RB is the goal. Might be Hype but they're ones hyping it. If you want to define success as Bowl game and losing conference record. Great, have at it. Not me. It should be OK if I don't. I've been waiting 30+ years for a RB birth. My expectations have been set. 30+ years of mostly mediocrity help set my expectations. I like RR, I like RB better. Actually, I like consistent signs that UA building towards that RB birth. Having one winning conference record in 5 seasons is not consistent building. It's evidence of something getting more distant than a RB birth because the number of conference wins (needed for a RB birth) is getting fewer.

I don't expect a perennial powerhouse program. I do expect every once in awhile ability to compete for a RB or NY6 bowl. I won't settle for last place finish in the P12. If GB and RR come out tomorrow and tell fans that UA won't realistically be able to compete at high levels in the P12 then I'll listen. Likely alter my expectations. If GB/RR tell us fans that UA is the Illinois of the B1G or the Iowa St of the Big12 then maybe I'll adjust.

Maybe UA is. Been many years of mediocre football. I find going 1-8 in conference enormously unacceptable. I bet RR does too
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Maybe we should keep the RB on the QT so RR and GB don't QC the LD and PT the DTs while the UC whips out his DPT. You know what I mean?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I don't. Are you saying I used too many abbreviations or something else?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote: GB and RB say RB is the goal.
Greg Byrne, ??? (RR?), Rose Bowl.

I have been waiting since 1981 when I was a freshman. Think we would have done it too if Larry Smith didn't take the redeye out.

Can't go 1-9 v. the LA schools if you want to make it. 2-3 v. ASU doesn't help either.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:I don't. Are you saying I used too many abbreviations or something else?
GB and RR say RB is the G for UA. I think your first guess was probably good. ;)
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
CatinVA

Post by CatinVA »

Lost his dad last night.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Damn, sorry to hear that. Bear Down Coach. There are better days ahead.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

"Though, we’re not sure Arizona wants to make a change if it can avoid it and this would be quite a like-for-like one."

I don;t at all agree with that statement, but he is not going to end up here.

That was a pretty weak list, not sure I see him at any of those places. A&M might be interesting. Toad has a bigger buyout than RR, and I believe UCLA is in the same boat with Mora.

Cal? I don't see it.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Head Trainer get fired yet?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:Head Trainer get fired yet?

Not yet and should he? I don't usually look at trainers as being the cause for injuries as they are more for rehab but maybe I am missing something. Please clarify
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:

Not yet and should he? I don't usually look at trainers as being the cause for injuries as they are more for rehab but maybe I am missing something. Please clarify

I've heard two different sides to it. I honestly don't know what to think.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

I've heard two different sides to it. I honestly don't know what to think.
So say what you've heard?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Did some checking. He has been there for like 15 years so he must be well thought of.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

RichRod just got voted president of the AFCA for 2017. Apparently his peers think highly of him.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azpenguin wrote:RichRod just got voted president of the AFCA for 2017. Apparently his peers think highly of him.
I do not doubt that he is... he is a personable and engaging guy. And was an innovator at one time...

That said, according to Wiki, he would not have been "voted in".

According to AFCA tradition officers move up one office each year until becoming president.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... ssociation

That's not a great omen, though. Since 2008, here are the coaches from D1 schools who held that position:
2008: Ty Willingham (last year at UW, 0-12)
2009: Dick Tomey (last year at SJSU, 2-10)
2013: Mack Brown (last year at Texas, 8-5)
2015: Tommy Tuberville (next to last year at Cinci, went 4-8 in 2016)

He replaces Lee Owens from Ashland University.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

7 wins is COY results. 4 looks like the number with 4.5 bring the over/under number
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

azcat49 wrote:

That damned artificial turf would have more to do with it than one of the most highly respected trainers in the country.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

RichardCranium wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

That damned artificial turf would have more to do with it than one of the most highly respected trainers in the country.

You'd be surprised. Highly respected? For helping to build this team? Are you really buying this? Open your eyes.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well recruiting smaller players and bulking them up on the roid program along with that artificial turf is not a great recipe for health on the field
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Well recruiting smaller players and bulking them up on the roid program along with that artificial turf is not a great recipe for health on the field
Well, I would venture to say that is a part of the problem.....minus the roid part.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/ari ... eview-2017" target="_blank
Rich Rodriguez is probably a whole lot better than you think.

Throw out the well-documented Michigan issues for the moment – but, keep in mind that his offense worked, with Brady Hoke reaping the rewards in a 2011 Sugar Bowl-winning season.

RichRod took over at Arizona and instantly turned around the Mike Stoops mess. But no matter what happened over the first four years, one ugly 3-9 2016 campaign set everything back to Square One.

And now – injuries, schminjuries – the Rodriguez hot seat talk will fire up throughout the offseason and into the year if Arizona doesn’t look and play a whole lot better. But be careful with this, Arizona. Remember what life used to be like not all that long ago.

Mike Stoops went 41-50 in just under eight years, coming up with just three winning seasons and without a nine-win campaign.

Remember the Mike Hankwitz era? How about those John Mackovic juggernauts?

The four coaches in between Dick Tomey in 2000 and the start of the Rodriguez era went a combined 55-77 for a program that, pre-RichRod, had just three winning seasons since the epic 12-1 campaign of 1998.

Rodriguez had four winning seasons in his first four years in Tucson, including the 10-4, South-winning season of 2014. But instead of being hailed as the best Arizona coach by a mile since Tomey, there’s a chance there could be a regime change with another clunker like last season, no matter how it happens.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

They lost me at the Mike Hankwitz era. :roll:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

#4 on the hot seat.

http://collegesportsonly.com/college-fo ... seats.html" target="_blank
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

What are everyone's thoughts on Greg Schiano if RR is let go?

Did well at Rutgers, has a good amount of NFL experience as hc and a position coach, and Meyer loves him and speaks well of him all the time.

Would be a big help on defense, would be able to bring in NFL quality players, and has the experience.

Downfalls are he has only been a HC in college once and his personality might rub people in Tucson the wrong way and doesn't really know the west coast.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

PHXCATS wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on Greg Schiano if RR is let go?

Did well at Rutgers, has a good amount of NFL experience as hc and a position coach, and Meyer loves him and speaks well of him all the time.

Would be a big help on defense, would be able to bring in NFL quality players, and has the experience.

Downfalls are he has only been a HC in college once and his personality might rub people in Tucson the wrong way and doesn't really know the west coast.
Meyer spoke highly of RichRod too, which is one of the reasons GB hired him. Who knows maybe Meyer was right. Stay tuned.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

MrMeow wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on Greg Schiano if RR is let go?

Meyer spoke highly of RichRod too, which is one of the reasons GB hired him. Who knows maybe Meyer was right. Stay tuned.
Just what I was thinking. Think I'd prefer a West-coast up and comer with Pac-12 experience. No career rehabilitation projects with an eye on their dream job back East.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The model of hiring a young energetic never fired smaller school HC has worked out very well in the basketball program, and also in the football program with Larry Smith and Dick Tomey.

Greg Schiano is 51, and recruiting is really a young man's game. When Tomey tired of recruiting that was the beginning of the end for him.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:The model of hiring a young energetic never fired smaller school HC has worked out very well in the basketball program, and also in the football program with Larry Smith and Dick Tomey.

Greg Schiano is 51, and recruiting is really a young man's game. When Tomey tired of recruiting that was the beginning of the end for him.
I understand yours and 89s concern. But to me, the biggest issue is no NFL quality guys are coming here right now and having a former NFL coach would help greatly. I know you can say Mackwack but that isnt the same as Schiano right now at all.

My number 2 name fits your mold much better, Philip Montgomery.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:The model of hiring a young energetic never fired smaller school HC has worked out very well in the basketball program, and also in the football program with Larry Smith and Dick Tomey.

I understand yours and 89s concern. But to me, the biggest issue is no NFL quality guys are coming here right now and having a former NFL coach would help greatly. I know you can say Mackwack but that isnt the same as Schiano right now at all.

My number 2 name fits your mold much better, Philip Montgomery.
Yeah, I think NFL experience could definitely be a draw - a useful recruiting cookie. Arizona certainly isn't an established path to the the NFL that's for sure and it would be great to have even a trickle of that caliber of player. Your man Montgomery is a died-in-the-wool Texan. Would love to be able to recruit better there as well.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

It didn't help Charlie Weis.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azgreg wrote:It didn't help Charlie Weis.
NFL experience hasn't done Jim Mora much good either.

(UCLA recruits itself)
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

MrMeow wrote:
azgreg wrote:It didn't help Charlie Weis.
NFL experience hasn't done Jim Mora much good either.

(UCLA recruits itself)
Mora has been okay but yes not great.

Weis never had a college experience before going to ND
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hate Schiano. I actually ike Chief's adea of Scott Frost. I like the young guy approach
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Yeah no thanks to Schiano. I think if Rich Rod can't do it this year you have to get a young HC from a small school like Merkin is saying.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We look like trash.

This buck stops here richrod
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:We look like trash.

Stop being so negative, CST. There is a lot to look forward to:

1) See who wins Mrs. Rita's Nacho dip this week
2) Anticipation for the next production highlighting TR's thespian proficiencies
3) Look at all the 'next Scoobie Wrights" we are recruiting

Stop paying so much attention to the product on the field.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

On Jim Rome in 15 minutes (approx 11:20 Arizona time):

http://player.radio.com/listen/station/cbs-sports-radio" target="_blank
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:We look like trash.

Stop being so negative, CST. There is a lot to look forward to:

1) See who wins Mrs. Rita's Nacho dip this week
2) Anticipation for the next production highlighting TR's thespian proficiencies
3) Look at all the 'next Scoobie Wrights we are recruiting

Stop paying so much attention to the product on the field.
Colin Schooler?