Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UALoco

Re: Coach Rod

Post by UALoco »

I really hate this catch 22 situation we are in. Either RR/Arizona Football sucks -or- RR/Arizona Football is good and we will lose RR and then have to suck while we rebuild again. Is there any decent Football Coach from AZ whose dream job is coaching AZ...an *Arizona Man?* Where is our Harbaugh? Or, is our only hope to wait for Lute to pass and be reincarnated as a football coach? I just hope RR has the same loyalty he has shown in the past and sticks around to finish the job. Problem is, his loyalty has him keep underperforming defense coaches around. Another catch 22. "Why not Arizona?" That is why not.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UAEebs86 wrote:If this is true (I have no clue if it is or not), Byrne needs to fire RR, the way Bo Schembechler canned Frieder.
Exactly. Dump or be dumped. Conduct unbecoming.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Peace
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I personally doubt he leaves. I just don't see him being a marquee hire but that is only my opinion and not based on any in depth knowledge of anything

Rich Rod would be hated at three schools then
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:I personally doubt he leaves. I just don't see him being a marquee hire but that is only my opinion and not based on any in depth knowledge of anything

Rich Rod would be hated at three schools then
Look at the VTU board reaction to the rumor.

Like it or not, UA fans seem to want RR more than any other school that might consider him. At least among those that could be considered a 'step up'.. Or even a lateral move.

If he wants fan support for himself, he ought to stick in Tucson.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Wouldn't be happy to see RR go, but also wouldn't be sad. Byrne can and will hire an extraordinary coach.

Perhaps Arizona is in too competitive of a conference for him? Perhaps he feels that he can't recruit well enough. He certainly has the facilities necessary to recruit well, good school academics, faculty pull the rope in the same direction, he's paid well, and he has experienced winning.

RR has to realize that this is about more than him. This school gave him a chance. His daughter is a cheerleader at the school, his son a senior at local high school. He relocated several families, some of which had been at WVU for decades.

But hey, family welfare be damned.

I still don't really think he's going to leave. But if he does, adios.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azgreg wrote:I have no idea who this guy is.
Scheer seems to be considering the report as having a chance at being accurate. I hope it is not, and I am not ready to concede that it is.
Sheer tweeted right after that that he didn't believe it. He was just re-tweeting RR tweets.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Salty wrote:Wouldn't be happy to see RR go, but also wouldn't be sad. Byrne can and will hire an extraordinary coach.

Perhaps Arizona is in too competitive of a conference for him? Perhaps he feels that he can't recruit well enough. He certainly has the facilities necessary to recruit well, good school academics, faculty pull the rope in the same direction, he's paid well, and he has experienced winning.

RR has to realize that this is about more than him. This school gave him a chance. His daughter is a cheerleader at the school, his son a senior at local high school. He relocated several families, some of which had been at WVU for decades.

I would disagree in that I think now we have average PAC 12 facilities. Once UCLA is done with their facility next year every single team in the PAC-12 outside of ASU (Which is coming) will have exactly what we have with the Lowell Stevens facility. Our weight room looks nice but is small compared to the rest of the league, we still have no indoor practice facility to deal with the Hot Tucson weather, we practice in an old baseball stadium, and our stadium in most parts is old and honestly kind of disgusting.

Don't get me wrong, we needed Lowell Stevens badly as before that it was criminal how bad our football facilities were. But now we are just average for facilities. For us to be competitive recruiting given the lack of in state talent (and what talent there is never wants to come here) we need above average to superior facilities to recruit well every year. Like we have in basketball now.

Challenge is I don't think there is enough money from rich donors after the Lowell Stevens and McKale to pay for additional facilities as they would be costly
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

RR has the same issue whether he stays at Arizona or goes: his commitment to the 3-3-5 defense. It's like he wants a defense that is built to face his own offense. Don't really need a "genius" defensive coordinator. Let the innovative stuff be on the offensive side of the ball. Give us someone that can develop cover corners and a front 7 that loves to hit.

Also, our players seem incredibly fragile. Saw somewhere that the Desert Swarm had 12 different starters on defense for the entire year. We have had something like 27 already. This has to be more than simply bad luck. Tackling technique, strength and conditioning, improper stretching prior to games and practice, etc...

Seems the team has gone off the rails the last month or so.

Go Cats!!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Doug and Wolf are awful and a total joke. But RR was just on with them and sounded completely defeated and uninterested. Never heard him like that before.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If Rich Rod bails to VT, bring in Dick Tomey as interim HC. No good head coach is going to be available until the season is over. RichRod will probably bring his staff with him too.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:Doug and Wolf are awful and a total joke. But RR was just on with them and sounded completely defeated and uninterested. Never heard him like that before.
I'm telling you, spider sense suggests he's gone.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:If Rich Rod bails to VT, bring in Dick Tomey as interim HC. No good head coach is going to be available until the season is over. RichRod will probably bring his staff with him too.
Problem with that is he's currently at South Florida.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:If Rich Rod bails to VT, bring in Dick Tomey as interim HC. No good head coach is going to be available until the season is over. RichRod will probably bring his staff with him too.
Isn't tomey the AD somewhere? And RR ain't leaving tomorrow. Only thing would be a potential bowl games and RR would not take all the staff by that time.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Doug and Wolf are awful and a total joke. But RR was just on with them and sounded completely defeated and uninterested. Never heard him like that before.
I'm telling you, spider sense suggests he's gone.
Totally agree. Way too much smoke with Miami and Maryland and South Carolina and now the biggest one V Tech.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

The one thing that RR has shown me is that I like defense. I like physical, aggressive, punishing defense. Maybe it's a leftover slant from the persona of the teams in the early 90s. Could also reflect how I was as a player. Dunno.

The problem is, I find that watching the team is hard for me. Even when we are performing well, it just isn't a style of football that tugs at my soul. Despite our P12 South title last year, I felt then that something was off but wasn't sure what it was. It seems like I've developed some apathy for the program and that's not good. Been searching for the cause, and it has to be the D.

So anyway, wouldn't really complain if RR moved on. Would we be a better football team if he left? Probably not, at least not right away. But I've realized that the way we play is just as important to me as the result of the game. Call is nostalgia. Whatever, don't really care.
gumby

Post by gumby »

threenumberones wrote:The one thing that RR has shown me is that I like defense. I like physical, aggressive, punishing defense. Maybe it's a leftover slant from the persona of the teams in the early 90s. Could also reflect how I was as a player. Dunno.

The problem is, I find that watching the team is hard for me. Even when we are performing well, it just isn't a style of football that tugs at my soul. Despite our P12 South title last year, I felt then that something was off but wasn't sure what it was. It seems like I've developed some apathy for the program and that's not good. Been searching for the cause, and it has to be the D.

So anyway, wouldn't really complain if RR moved on. Would we be a better football team if he left? Probably not, at least not right away. But I've realized that the way we play is just as important to me as the result of the game. Call is nostalgia. Whatever, don't really care.
I feel you. It's that sense that it takes the other team screwing up for it to work. When they don't, hopeless.

I can recall being that team nobody looked forward to playing. Because win or lose, you were going to endure pain.
Right where I want to be.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

gumby wrote:
threenumberones wrote:The one thing that RR has shown me is that I like defense. I like physical, aggressive, punishing defense. Maybe it's a leftover slant from the persona of the teams in the early 90s. Could also reflect how I was as a player. Dunno.

I feel you. It's that sense that it takes the other team screwing up for it to work. When they don't, hopeless.

I can recall being that team nobody looked forward to playing. Because win or lose, you were going to endure pain.
Agree with both of you. It seems like each head coach needs to make a choice: smash mouth football or speed on both sides of the ball. But you can't have both.

It seems that watching football over the years, whether college or pros, it is impossible to have both an explosive, high scoring offense and a shut down defense. I remember the Fouts led Chargers, whose defense couldn't stop anybody! Remember thinking, "Even with an average defense the Chargers would be unstoppable!" Watched the replay of #1 Washington coming into Arizona, and our offense being absolutely horrible but the Dawgs couldn't do anything against our D.

It is more than X's and O's. It is the overall mentality of the team. The head coach chooses, and the recruits decide. My guess is the beast-type players will always take smash mouth teams over speed teams.

Nice thing with Scooby: He is a one man wrecking crew! We lost more than an incredible player when he went out.

Go Cats!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:
Isn't tomey the AD somewhere? And RR ain't leaving tomorrow. Only thing would be a potential bowl games and RR would not take all the staff by that time.
DT is the assistant AD at S Florida.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He's also 77 and hasn't been a head coach in 6 years and probably would rather not move 3000 miles away to be an interim coach for two months
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Lot of people saying they wouldn't be disappointed to see him leave. Be careful what you wish for. You may get it. And when you do you probably won't like it.

I don't put much stock in the swirling rumors because they're just that - rumors. Maybe something will happen and another school will poach him. Maybe not. But everyone's got a connection, everyone's got a source who's telling them that school X is definitely hiring coach X... and most of them are wrong. There's more rumors right now because there's more openings. I really haven't seen anything yet regarding RR that makes me think he's gone. Again, it might happen, but then again people were saying he was as good as gone to Louisville as well.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I really like RR, he has a great personality unlike most other UA HCs over the years. He is just Tomey like stubborn, although Tomey did loosen up over years with his offense.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... ter-110115" target="_blank

Rich Rodriguez: The Arizona coach goes way back with Babcock from their time at West Virginia. The 52-year-old Rodriguez has won two Big East Coach of the Year honors and won the Pac-12's Coach of the Year last season. His dynamic personality also would seem able to handle replacing a local legend in Blacksburg. Rodriguez would be in line to make around $4 million a year if he remains at Arizona long term. He also should have a better team in 2016 in Tucson, Ariz., than he does this fall as the team battles lot of big injuries. Problem is, at U of A, you're going to be battling ASU to be at best the third-best football job in the Pac-12 South. Rodriguez figures to be a strong candidate here as well as at South Carolina, although his team is struggling now at 5-4 and will have to hustle to get bowl eligible.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azpenguin wrote:Lot of people saying they wouldn't be disappointed to see him leave. Be careful what you wish for. You may get it. And when you do you probably won't like it.

I don't put much stock in the swirling rumors because they're just that - rumors. Maybe something will happen and another school will poach him. Maybe not. But everyone's got a connection, everyone's got a source who's telling them that school X is definitely hiring coach X... and most of them are wrong. There's more rumors right now because there's more openings. I really haven't seen anything yet regarding RR that makes me think he's gone. Again, it might happen, but then again people were saying he was as good as gone to Louisville as well.
I understand what you are saying but there is just so much smoke here and RR has lost the fire and passion.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azpenguin wrote:Lot of people saying they wouldn't be disappointed to see him leave. Be careful what you wish for. You may get it. And when you do you probably won't like it.

I haven't read anyone 'wishing' for him to leave, and while I will be disappointed if he does - count me in the group that will not lose any sleep over it.

This was supposed to be our 'win big' year, and we are staring 2-7 in conf right between the eyes - with multiple ass-kickings to less-than-dominant competition. I certainly appreciated last year, but it felt more like a one-year wonder than a seminal moment in our program - especially the way it ended. Stoops had a similar campaign just 1.5 seasons before he was let go (although it took him longer) and no one cried when he left. (Don't get me wrong, RR was a big upgrade from Stoops...but I do not think this 'program' is on track for anything dramatically different than we have seen in the past).

There was all kinds of talk about the blazing speed we would see all over the field under this regime. I don't see it on either side of the ball. We have a few very good players on the roster, but across the board - I don't see talent in the program as having been markedly upgraded from what we saw in the previous regime.

I believe RR is a coach who will get the most out of the offensive talent he has on the roster.. I say that confidently, but that is about it. And that is not enough to make me sob if he decides he'd rather be someplace else.

I did not take that Louisville rumor all THAT seriously. But the So Car/ VTU/ WVU rumors have ALL concerned me since first reading them in succession very recently.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't see a lot of interest from the VT fans for RR, done deal or not.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:Don't see a lot of interest from the VT fans for RR, done deal or not.
That's a consistent view from most fan-bases when his name is mentioned.

Like I said elsewhere, the UA fan base wants him more than any others I have seen - and that is in the midst of a dumpster-fire season. Hopefully that at least carries some weight in offsetting the 'I want a more passionate fanbase' crowd in RR's evaluation process.

That passionate fanbase will be calling for his head with vitriol in year 4, not collectively responding with 'I hope he stays but I won't cry if he leaves'.

Consistuent apathy has its advantages.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:
Salty wrote:Wouldn't be happy to see RR go, but also wouldn't be sad. Byrne can and will hire an extraordinary coach.

I would disagree in that I think now we have average PAC 12 facilities. Once UCLA is done with their facility next year every single team in the PAC-12 outside of ASU (Which is coming) will have exactly what we have with the Lowell Stevens facility. Our weight room looks nice but is small compared to the rest of the league, we still have no indoor practice facility to deal with the Hot Tucson weather, we practice in an old baseball stadium, and our stadium in most parts is old and honestly kind of disgusting.

Don't get me wrong, we needed Lowell Stevens badly as before that it was criminal how bad our football facilities were. But now we are just average for facilities. For us to be competitive recruiting given the lack of in state talent (and what talent there is never wants to come here) we need above average to superior facilities to recruit well every year. Like we have in basketball now.

Challenge is I don't think there is enough money from rich donors after the Lowell Stevens and McKale to pay for additional facilities as they would be costly
I am not saying that we will get one, but the right coach & staff would upgrade our recruiting measurably. That matters more in recruiting than everything else combined.

RR has had many more advantages (or maybe less 'disadvantages') than Stoops, but our recruiting results (both on paper and in looking at the personnel in uniform), and there is not an appreciable difference in our recruiting success.

Maybe UofA has a ceiling that no coach can breakthrough? Quite possible... But it also means that a change will neither help, nor hurt, us much in terms of recruiting success.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Fan bases can sure be silly though. For example, Tom Herman is considered a hot rising coach, but the only worth wild team they have played so far is Louisville (RR could have Arizona undefeated with Houston's schedule). There are probably a good portion that would be happy about Tom Herman over RR, but to me that would be insane. My guess is that those fans want that locked down defense first and foremost.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm sure Rich would love to coach at Va Tech. I just don't think it's remotely a done deal he gets anything more than an interview for the job. I get that he has a connection with the AD there, but there will be other coaches who aren't coming off a dumpster fire season more than interested in that job as well. Virginia Tech is coming off a HOF coach. Any AD has to win the press conference with the next coach he hires plain and simple.

For example imagine if Jim Livengood hired Jim Boylen to replace Lute Olson and not Sean Miller. How do you think our fans would have reacted with their support to the program financially? Not well...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

OSUCat wrote:Fan bases can sure be silly though. For example, Tom Herman is considered a hot rising coach, but the only worth wild team they have played so far is Louisville (RR could have Arizona undefeated with Houston's schedule). There are probably a good portion that would be happy about Tom Herman over RR, but to me that would be insane. My guess is that those fans want that locked down defense first and foremost.
It is all relative. Look where he started, what he has done, and how he has recruited to a school in a joke conference.

Guys who can recruit and coach can outperform their peers at whatever level they land. Does not mean Herman will prove to be able to, but others have. Most notably, Kevin Sumlin.

Pretty sure Herman is in line for a higher profile job than ours, assuming of course he does not shit the bed to close the season... And they have a couple tough games coming up.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Harvey Specter wrote:I haven't read anyone 'wishing' for him to leave, and while I will be disappointed if he does - count me in the group that will not lose any sleep over it.

This was supposed to be our 'win big' year, and we are staring 2-7 in conf right between the eyes - with multiple ass-kickings to less-than-dominant competition. I certainly appreciated last year, but it felt more like a one-year wonder than a seminal moment in our program - especially the way it ended. Stoops had a similar campaign just 1.5 seasons before he was let go (although it took him longer) and no one cried when he left. (Don't get me wrong, RR was a big upgrade from Stoops...but I do not think this 'program' is on track for anything dramatically different than we have seen in the past).

There was all kinds of talk about the blazing speed we would see all over the field under this regime. I don't see it on either side of the ball. We have a few very good players on the roster, but across the board - I don't see talent in the program as having been markedly upgraded from what we saw in the previous regime.

I believe RR is a coach who will get the most out of the offensive talent he has on the roster.. I say that confidently, but that is about it. And that is not enough to make me sob if he decides he'd rather be someplace else.

I did not take that Louisville rumor all THAT seriously. But the So Car/ VTU/ WVU rumors have ALL concerned me since first reading them in succession very recently.
Not much "wishing" but a lot of "wouldn't be disappointed."

This year has gone sideways indeed, but there are a lot of factors at play. I'm not in a hurry to see the coach who got Arizona a Pac-12 South title leave so soon. Stoops was a different story because there was a lot more at play there behind the scenes; from what I gathered his personal life was falling apart and it was affecting things. He actually seemed to be relieved when Byrne cut him loose. If things get worse next year, then there's cause to be concerned. RichRod teams have a tendency not to regress like this and so I don't feel in a hurry to pass judgement with the confluence of events this year.

Of course the rumors all came in succession with the east coast jobs. That's because they all opened up in such a short time. RR would be mentioned for any of those jobs any time they had opened. I'm not saying he's sure to stay here, but I just haven't seen anything that makes me think he's gone yet. I think it's more likely he stays than a lot of people think. That's just my non-insider opinion though.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Of course, this kind of stuff doesn't help...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Well everyone said they wanted home night games. Another depressing show of support by the students and Tucson for sure to be on display.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That's some nice day game weather.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:Well everyone said they wanted home night games. Another depressing show of support by the students and Tucson for sure to be on display.
Another reason for Rich Rod to leave and another for no big time coach to come replace him right?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Well everyone said they wanted home night games. Another depressing show of support by the students and Tucson for sure to be on display.
Another reason for Rich Rod to leave and another for no big time coach to come replace him right?
So you honestly think an established coach will want to play I front of a less than half filled student section and an alumni and fan base only waiting for Miller to be on the jumbotron?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I think people want more night games in August and September.

Mid November? Not so much.

P.S. Also, it's better when you know your defense isn't going to give up half a hundred.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Merkin wrote:That's some nice day game weather.

4 pm kickoffs in November at Arizona stadium are heaven.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

seriously. 7/8 PM games need to be for the first 3 home games....1 pm-5pm games for the last 3.

whatever.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Literally shut up. You do not know what you are talking about.

gumby

Post by gumby »

Teams did all of these stadium upgrades with money from TV contract, which has served to keep people away from the new digs with ridiculous start times.

Strange times.
gumby

Post by gumby »

These TV-driven start times are keeping more than Arizona fans home. Husky Stadium less than half full Saturday night. They had more fans at the Cal game, which was a day game.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Scheer frustrated with the entire team:

http://www.scout.com/college/arizona/st ... r-wildcats" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
So you honestly think an established coach will want to play I front of a less than half filled student section and an alumni and fan base only waiting for Miller to be on the jumbotron?
No, I just know Rich Rod will leave solely because of our fans, because you told us as much.

Arizona can't get a well established coach from a major school unless he has warts on his record no matter how many damn people fill those stands. Although I guess we can always hope for a Gary Anderson/Oregon State deal.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

That should really appeal to Phoenix area alumni...

"Drive home on 1-10 at 1:30 AM with meth-addicted truckers on a poorly lit highway... Or spend a couple extra hundy and make it a weekend. Then you won't have to wait until the next day to drink off the 80 that the Utes might score"
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin wrote:4 pm kickoffs in November at Arizona stadium are heaven.
They are. That's why we'll never see one again. :D
Machina

Post by Machina »

ASUHATER! wrote:
So the attendance is going to be good next Saturday? Less than 45 thousand. Zoo will be more than half empty.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Machina wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
So the attendance is going to be good next Saturday? Less than 45 thousand. Zoo will be more than half empty.
For a game that starts at 8 pm, will end at 11:30 pm (where there might be a 4 handle on the temperature at the end of the game), and where our defense will give up half a hundred points?

And with you still expecting the stadium to still 85% full that is fucking representative of Arizona not having dedicated fans?

Moron.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Machina wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
I never said attendance will be good. It will probably be bad. Phxcats thinks this is because people are bad fans and don't bear down enough. It's actually because we keep getting shit start times and the team and defense are putting out a shit product. And we don't have the longest best tradition ever. For the thousandth time...build it and they will come..

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That Utah game will probably have 50k+ in tickets sold but I bet 40k show up depending on start time.

When we lose, we lose pretty ugly that is for sure. If we don't play better on offense this week it could get real ugly at AZ stadium that next week
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion