Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAdevil

Will Muschamp Done

Post by UAdevil »

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... l-muschamp

Reports: Florida fires Will Muschamp
By Jerry Hinnen | College Football Writer
November 16, 2014 11:14 am ET

Will Muschamp went 27-20 in his four seasons with the Florida GatorsWill Muschamp went 27-20 in his four seasons with the Florida Gators. (USATSI)

Florida has fired Will Muschamp, according to multiple reports.

ESPN.com's Brett McMurphy reports that Muschamp will coach Florida's final two games of the season against Eastern Kentucky and Florida State before stepping down.

Muschamp's Gators lost 23-20 in overtime to South Carolina Saturday, dropping them to 5-4 for the season and eliminating them from SEC East contention. The loss was Muschamp's sixth in his last eight home games in "the Swamp."

Muschamp leaves with two games remaining in the 2014 season, his fourth at the school. Though he took the Gators to the Sugar Bowl following an 11-1 regular season in 2012, he posted an overall record of 27-20, but only 17-15 in the SEC with only one winning conference record in his four seasons.

Muschamp's conservative offenses have proven unpopular with Florida fans accustomed to the high-scoring attacks of Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer, with the Gators ranking 71st, 78th, 113th and currently 62nd in FBS scoring offense.

A former defensive coordinator for Auburn and Texas, Muschamp was hired by Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley in December 2010 following the health-related resignation of Urban Meyer.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Re: Will Muschamp Done

Post by Merkin »

Shouldn't this thread be called: Who will replace RichRod?

:)

AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Ugh. Here we go again
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I'm hoping two things:

1) Greggie will be all over this
2) RRod is still bitter from his UM ousting and is thinking "Fuck the big football schools. They had their chance and I'm building something special right here in Tucson."
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salty

Post by Salty »

I would bet my left nut that RR does not leave Tucson for Florida.

Lack of interest on both sides.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

First I'm surprised this took so long. Muschamp shouldn't have gotten this year at Florida and after their homecoming game he should've been fired with prejudice as he left the field.

Second I've got this nagging feeling that Bob Stoops won't be at Oklahoma next year so if I was Florida I would be making sure those feelers are strongly out there.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

If anything RR will use this to get more money for his coaches to stay at Arizona.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

OSUCat wrote:If anything RR will use this to get more money for his coaches to stay at Arizona.
Is Casteel on anyone's short list? Perhaps Rod Smith if he develops Anu.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Merkin wrote:
OSUCat wrote:If anything RR will use this to get more money for his coaches to stay at Arizona.
Is Casteel on anyone's short list? Perhaps Rod Smith if he develops Anu.
It's not so much about keeping the assistants here, it's that RR wants to take care of his assistants. That's been a recurring theme for him over his career because he likes working with these guys and they all work well together. Which also brings to mind - think Jeremy Foley could sell UF's big boosters on the 3-3-5 in the SEC? Kinda doubt that and I doubt RR would go anywhere without Casteel, especially after what happened at Michigan.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Yeah, RR just loves starting over before year five when a program has a chance to really get going. :roll: These rumors are going to get really ridiculous.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

azpenguin wrote:
Merkin wrote:
OSUCat wrote: It's not so much about keeping the assistants here, it's that RR wants to take care of his assistants. That's been a recurring theme for him over his career because he likes working with these guys and they all work well together. Which also brings to mind - think Jeremy Foley could sell UF's big boosters on the 3-3-5 in the SEC? Kinda doubt that and I doubt RR would go anywhere without Casteel, especially after what happened at Michigan.
That is what I was getting at. Compared to what Florida assistants make, arizona is probably pretty low. I don't think any would really leave but I do think RR looks out for the bunch as much as he can. A loyal group of coaches.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty wrote:I would bet my left nut that RR does not leave Tucson for Florida.

Lack of interest on both sides.
I love it when you post like this.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

How good is the job?

On a scale from 1-10, Florida is pushing a 9. It’s widely considered a top-10 job in the country. That’s based on the success the program has had since Spurrier elevated it in the 1990s -- and also its location in talent-rich Florida.

Will Muschamp went 27-20, including a 17-15 SEC record, in four seasons.
As one SEC coach told me recently, “We recruit Florida, get a player here and there, but we aren't the University of Florida.”

It's an inherent recruiting advantage, without a doubt.

But some coaches I've recently spoken with have pointed out that the facilities aren't what you'd necessarily expect.

“The football office is underneath the stadium, and they don't have an indoor [facility],” one said. “Our facilities are better.”

It’s obviously a place where you can win and win big, as Meyer showed. Meyer also illustrated how difficult it is to sustain success. At a place like Florida, with the resources and recruiting base, you've got as much of a shot to be perennially good as you do anywhere.

Who is the hire?

Who should be on Foley's must-call list? Here's a prioritized look at possible candidates:

1. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma

Steve Spurrier and his former assistant, Bob Stoops, have remained very close, and "Stoopsy" still gets plenty of advice.

Foley should start by checking Stoops’ temperature. He has passed on UF before, but things change and Stoops has been at OU for a decade and a half.

If there’s an air of staleness -- and the disappointment of three losses this season seems to indicate that there is -- it might be the ideal time for Stoops to make a move to where he excelled from 1996 to '98 as Spurrier’s defensive coordinator.

Imagine a scenario in which Stoops is the head coach and Spurrier, once he retires in Crescent Beach, comes over to hang around at practice -- the way that Barry Switzer does now at OU. That would be a pretty strong play from Florida.

A wrench in this fantasy: Stoops now makes more than $5 million a year. It would take some serious accounting from UF. That’s a lot for anyone to match, and offering an armored truck hasn't typically been Florida's play. Even Meyer was coming from Utah (when it was still in the Mountain West).

Foley likes his up-and-comers, though that hasn't always worked out. Stoops would be as much of a sure thing as Florida could get.

2. Rich Rodriguez, Arizona
Florida needs a proven winner as a head coach, and Rodriguez is 97-59 in his three major stops. He’s charismatic, which plays well with recruits, fans and reporters. His offenses at Clemson, West Virginia and Arizona have been consistently strong.

One coach wondered whether Rodriguez had enough “polish” for Florida. He might come off a little folksy, but I think that’s part of the arsenal. He’s a pretty sharp guy. Rodriguez would have more shine to him than either Muschamp or former coach Ron Zook, if for no other reason than he’s been a head guy for so long.

It obviously didn't go well at Michigan (15-22), but if he was good before and after that stop, that suggests more about Michigan than Rodriguez. To me, the question is whether Rodriguez likes the way things are set up at Arizona. He has a great, young AD in Greg Byrne and, generally, a lower stress level.

Then again, he makes a little more than $2 million. And maybe he does want another big-brand job to further erase the Michigan stain on his rep. As one SEC coach reminded me last year, money and ego drive coaches more than anything.

3. Hugh Freeze, Ole Miss
If Foley calls, Freeze will surely listen. He recognizes the resource gap between the schools, and recruiting classes like his ballyhooed bunch in 2013 would be the norm at Florida rather than the exception.

Freeze is from Oxford, so it would take a big job to pull him away from home. Well, Florida is a big job. Even so, Freeze’s gem of a class will be in its third year in 2015. It could be his best chance at an SEC title -- and playoff berth -- at Ole Miss.

Foley has no doubt been monitoring the prodigious season at Ole Miss -- and the one at Mississippi State, too -- to see how those schools, and their coaches, handle success and finish the fall.

4. Dan Mullen, Mississippi State
The most obvious name is often the least realistic name, a coach reminded me recently. Mullen is obvious because he ran Meyer's offense for Florida teams that won championships. And now he's proving at Mississippi State that he can win big as a head coach.

There's talk of friction with administrators from his time at UF, though that stuff tends to get overblown. More important, Mullen has worked to get out of Meyer's shadow. Going to UF would force him further into it. I could see Mullen trying to beat Meyer in the Big Ten before I could see him chasing his legacy at UF.

Mullen seems to really enjoy what he has built in Starkville, but like Freeze, he understands the challenges relative to those programs with bigger budgets and more fertile recruiting grounds.

5. Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State
Gundy's credentials at Oklahoma State, where he played quarterback, are very strong. He has won 82 games since taking over for Les Miles in 2005, and his offenses are third in the country and eighth in yards in that span. There could be some hesitation by Foley, or other potential employers, because it would be a departure from his comfort zone. Is he a lock to win somewhere other than the familiar turf of his alma mater?

On the other side of that, it’s conceivable that Gundy and his staff would be stronger with Florida’s recruiting base and resources. Gainesville is only a bit larger than Stillwater, but the UF brand is much stronger. It wouldn't require as much of a sales pitch. The Pokes are on a four-game losing streak and rifts with administration in recent years led to flirtations with Arkansas and Tennessee. Would the tension be enough for him to not only listen to Florida but actually go? It wouldn't necessarily be an exit for a money grab; T. Boone Pickens helps to make OSU close to a top-tier-salary job.

6. Charlie Strong, Texas
A year ago, Strong, another former UF defensive assistant, would have been in the heart of this conversation. Now? He has a job, one he's unlikely to leave. Put simply, Texas is a better job -- even if Florida is a very good one. Additionally, Strong has put a lot of work into overhauling UT's personnel and persona. And he's going to leave after all that labor, just to do it somewhere else? Unlikely.

It's worth keeping Strong on the list, however, just because of how well he has recruited the state. He built Louisville with Miami-area players. Imagine what he could do at Florida with Miami-area players. One thing wouldn’t be an issue: There wouldn't be much of a buyout because no one at Texas ever expects a coach to leave Texas (on his terms). However, as is the case with Stoops, Strong makes a not-so-small fortune each year.

7. Jim McElwain, Colorado State
Another coach brought up McElwain's name in conversation. This is the type of hire Foley has made in the past, someone at this stage of his career. Again, it's been a mixed bag, but Zook and Muschamp weren’t sitting head coaches. Meyer was. McElwain is, and he has Colorado State 7-1. He also has an offensive background. Would Foley pull the trigger on another former Saban assistant?

8. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina
The man has a statue outside The Swamp and his name's in the Ring of Honor. It's logical why his name would come up -- but it's pure fantasy. Spurrier's a young 69, but he's still 69. Is he up for rebuilding any program, let alone the one he built 25 years ago? I doubt it. And wouldn't that unnecessarily open him up to failure? Plus, if you're Florida, is a three- to five-year bandage what you're seeking before you're again searching for a coach?
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/travis- ... st?id=3870
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have heard if Lester goes to Michigan that Gundy wants LSU. Maybe Florida would be a nice consolation prize.
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
az91

Post by az91 »

azcat49 wrote:I have heard if Lester goes to Michigan that Grundy wants LSU. Maybe Florida would be a nice consolation prize.
But didn't Michigan deem that Lester was unfit to be their coach already?
illcat

Post by illcat »

Still can't see RR making the move. I honestly think the guy likes it here, if it's money (which I don't think is the deciding factor) you know as well as I GB will find the bucks.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto