UAB shutting down their program?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

UAB shutting down their program?

Post by Irish27 »

If true, I wonder if Rich Rod and staff would be interested in bringing a player or two here?
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -this-week
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ASUHATER!

Re: UAB shutting down their program?

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah everything I've read is that the program will be disbanded within the week. Like coaches laid off, players returning their equipment and transferring right away. Sad since uab is actually bowl eligible for the first time in a decade.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

From what I've read (which admittedly, isn't much) it seems to be a lot of political motivation/maneuvering among the board of trustees (which like the board of regents in AZ controls funding for the alabama schools, and one paul bryant jr is on that board) for this to happen and to constantly keep UAB underfunded (there's no on campus stadium either, per the trustees). They had Jimbo Fisher agreeing to go there as a coach some years ago and the trustees nixed it. Hell the current coach worked his ass off, got commitments from outside sources for facility improvements, and they still basically shut him down. I hope the players all end up in better situations and the coach does too.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CFB is a very expensive sport. 85 scholarship players. Need to invest in a very expensive stadium to meet the attendance requirements.

In my local area, UCSB is very glad to dump CFB and let soccer be the king of outdoor sports.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I couldn't imagine if the UofA football program was discontinued. Looks like if they drop football, UAB will have to leave Conference USA in all the other sports. Here is one of their message boards.
http://csnbbs.com/forum-388.html
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

And this ONE???
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

It's official. UAB drops football. Yard sale anyone?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sucks for the kids in the program especially since they were probably going to a bowl. As far as I can tell the disbanding goes into effect immediately. Like the coaches and staffers are laid off now and are jobless.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Since we're losing baker and tjg, how about their sophomore rb to be our backup next year? Ran for 1500 yards and 13 tds this year.

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

They couldn't disband after the bowl game? That's horrible to rob the coaches and especially the players of that.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

AZCatGirl wrote:They couldn't disband after the bowl game? That's horrible to rob the coaches and especially the players of that.
they just shat all over the players and coaches.

what a-holes the alamaba trustees are
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AZCatGirl wrote:They couldn't disband after the bowl game? That's horrible to rob the coaches and especially the players of that.

Most lower tier bowl teams lose money for the schools. Can't imagine Bama wants to share the pot from upper tier bowls like PAC schools do.

PieceOfMeat wrote:
they just shat all over the players and coaches.

what a-holes the alamaba trustees are
Forgot the exact count, but 11 of the 14 trustees have Bama degrees. Only 3 have a relationship with UAB, and one of them is married to an ex Bama player.

It's like the ABOR was stacked with ASU grads with a built in hate for ASU.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

UAB president can go fuck himself. Players are pouring their hearts out and he doesn't even give a shit.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

In Alabama? Hell, higher education isn't a priority. It's all about preserving the Iron Bowl and keeping Roll Tide on top by any means necessary.

UAB played Arizona tough in Matt Scott's freshman year. Six years later, the program's history. Nothing justifiable about that.

Someone tell me one level on which this isn't a wrong, harmful, evil decision, particularly not to let the Blazers play in their bowl game. I am filled with disgust by the people who would allow it to happen without blinking an eye. Worthless as human beings.