Steve Patterson is still insane

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat34

Steve Patterson is still insane

Post by azcat34 »

LOL, so funny. And Dill wanted him over Byrne.

HD EXCLUSIVE: AD PATTERSON FACING HEAT

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/stor ... acing-heat
Fishclamps

Re: Steve Patterson is still insane

Post by Fishclamps »

That's quite the lengthy article, but very interesting.

I've worked for a snake oil salesman before and its pathetic how much they get away with just because they have some charisma and know how to work a few key people over. I can only imagine how terrible it must be when that person has a contract you can't just payout like its nothing. It seems like that's the only option though before he alienates everyone who loved UT sports.

I mean seriously, who gives a flying fuck about college basketball in China or college football in Mexico. Am I missing something where we're gonna play a game in those places and money will start raining down from the sky on the pac and B12 as a result?
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

The multiple references to Patterson being buddy-buddy w/ Larry Scott really said all that needed to be said.

To Patterson's credit, he didn't screw up either the football or the basketball hire there. However, both Patterson and Scott are completely tone-deaf when it comes to truly understanding (to use terms they would understand) their "product" and their "target market". They don't understand why college sports fans are passionate and why they spend money to fuel that passion. Dave Brandon is cut from exactly the same cloth.

Additionally, Patterson seems to be at best completely inept in understanding interpersonal relationships, and at worst is objectively a bad human being. (Not to believe everything John Canzano wrote about Patterson, but if 1/3 of it is true...sheesh.)

We should once again feel fortunate to have the Ninja. He understands and values the loyalties and passions that make college sports tick (i.e. he knows which side his bread is buttered) while still being forward-thinking.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

azcat34 wrote:LOL, so funny. And Dill wanted him over Byrne.

HD EXCLUSIVE: AD PATTERSON FACING HEAT

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/stor ... acing-heat
I'm not really sure a couple of boosters upset about having their access cut off is a bad thing. He was brought in t change things which he is doing. The only weird thing is taking away the baseball charter. That one makes no sense. The proof on how he is doing as an AD will be when we see where the football and basketball programs are in 3 years. Not whether Chip Brown and a couple of rich guys are mad that can't get on the field whenever they want.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

The backlash is getting worse.......

Rick Cherwitz has had enough.

The professor in the Moody College of Communication at the University of Texas in Austin isn’t renewing his Longhorns football season tickets, ending his commitment to the program after 36 years. In an opinion piece for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Cherwitz explains what changed his mind this year.

“The final straw for me was when UT’s athletic director, Steve Patterson, more than doubled the price of faculty and staff season football and basketball tickets, as well as placed a greater financial burden on small donors wishing to purchase tickets.”

“It was clear to us that the Athletics Department no longer considers faculty and staff to be members of the ‘family’ and ‘community’ — the very people who educate and serve student athletes. Instead, we became another one of the institution’s many ‘corporate customers.’ ”

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com ... mers.html/
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

UAEebs86 wrote:
'Change who you are or you're fired!'
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Take a look at this thread and the banner at the top of ShaggyBevo.

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthr ... r-Standard
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

:lol:
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

scumdevils86 wrote:Image
I love Thujone but kinda scary to think that the guy reproduced.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Patterson is an asshat, but that reporting is pretty irresponsible....

Robert Giovannetti, senior associate athletics director of external operations, said Tech has not had to pay for the Goin’ Band’s seats at the UT game in the past, but that was part of what he called a "gentleman's agreement" between the four Texas schools in the Big 12.

The business managers of the four Texas schools -- including Texas Tech -- got together in the past year and decided to start charging each other for band members' tickets.

"They just decided very recently to do that," Giovannetti said. "We were aware."

He said the University of Texas was not "going rogue" in deciding to charge for the band members' seats.

An official from UT who did not wish to be identified gave the same version of events, noting that selling the tickets makes it easier for accounting.

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2 ... -price-tag

Also, for as much as he is pissing off fans, there is also this:
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Saw a note from Wilner today that Larry Scott is over in China promoting the UW-UT basketball game (shouldn't he be at home working on the AT&T/DTV agreement?), wonder if Patterson is over there with him.

Side note, not sure if I have ever seen this explanation before, but it makes sense now - the reason these guys are all about China is that Chinese students pay full board tuition etc. - so getting them to want to come study at your school means extra money in the coffers. Has nothing to do w/ athletic revenue, it's something that the university presidents/chancellors are pushing.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azthrillhouse wrote:Saw a note from Wilner today that Larry Scott is over in China promoting the UW-UT basketball game (shouldn't he be at home working on the AT&T/DTV agreement?), wonder if Patterson is over there with him.

Side note, not sure if I have ever seen this explanation before, but it makes sense now - the reason these guys are all about China is that Chinese students pay full board tuition etc. - so getting them to want to come study at your school means extra money in the coffers. Has nothing to do w/ athletic revenue, it's something that the university presidents/chancellors are pushing.
Sounds like Larry wanted a trip to China.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

azthrillhouse wrote:Saw a note from Wilner today that Larry Scott is over in China promoting the UW-UT basketball game (shouldn't he be at home working on the AT&T/DTV agreement?), wonder if Patterson is over there with him.

It mostly seems this is about brand awareness, and that is good for the universities all around. More competitive applicants, more athletes for Olympic sports and so on.

I think the only direct financial gains for athletics (other than whatever they get for televising those exhibition games) are merchandising. Back when Larry was hired there was something printed about UCLA already having (eight I think) outlet stores in Asia.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

So there is a plane flying around DKR right now that had a banner that says "Patterson Must Go"

Fantastic
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

God bless Texans.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

You're probably more likely to bump into Larry at a PAC game in China than you are a PAC game in Tucson
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

the real dill wrote:
PLEASE let ASU hire him back.......

I would hope getting rid of this clown doesn't impact Charlie Strong. Seems like the natives are restless about him but he needs more time to prove/disprove his worth.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not a lot of friends apparently.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Time to start the Byrne to Texas rumors.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:Time to start the Byrne to Texas rumors.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Main Event wrote:
If that doesn't paint ASSU as a clown school I don't know what would. SDD should be a proud clown
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Goddamn. My head went to the same place. Why can't we have nice things?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep and didn't he just take one of his kids out to TCU to go to school. Would be a short drive from Dallas to Austin. Maybe thry want a Longhorn man given what Patterson has done
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Never know...

Bryne with retention fund making competitive money to what Texas was paying Patterson. Bryne just received another little increase two months ago. Up to $650k for a year (gets auto $25k raise every year thru 2018). Should avg another $450k/year with retention fund.

There's also his Dad was legend AD for Rival A&M. Don't think TX boosters would like that too much. There are other just as qualified AD's in waiting that don't have that rival baggage.

Have to think why Bryne was never really considered after Dodds left.

EDIT: Would expect AD replacement to take awhile. Like towards end or after football season. Expect TX to give Strong some space and New AD options to keep Strong or bring in their guy.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Would Texas boosters really want to pull another AD out of the state of Arizona with the last one flaming out soooo badly?
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

anyone out there searching for a new AD would be batshit crazy not to have Byrne on the very very short list.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:anyone out there searching for a new AD would be batshit crazy not to have Byrne on the very very short list.

Absolutely.

Who else has both the revenue sports ranked in the top 20?

BCS bowl + Elite 8?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Byrne is by FAR the best young AD in the country...I dont think its even close. Guy knows college athletics as well as anyone and I am always nervous he leaves us for a place like Texas which has a much bigger budget with deeper pocket alums and also Austin is a pretty cool place to live.

However, I think Texas goes for Mack Brown as they are probably not making major switches in football or basketball soon and based on how much of a Douche Patterson was, they just need a glad hander.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

They've got to pay Patterson A LOT of the money over the next few years. Mack sounds likely as he could be a 'budget' hire for the short term (3-5 years).
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

They won't hire Byrne. I bet they don't even know the difference between ASU/UA in Austin, and have too sour a taste in the mouth to take a chance on an up-and-commer. The safe hire (or internal) probably leads. And despite what may be said, they need a glad handing politician. Not someone innovative like Greg.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

UAdevil wrote:They've got to pay Patterson A LOT of the money over the next few years. Mack sounds likely as he could be a 'budget' hire for the short term (3-5 years).
I don't think Mack is a candidate. He has no business experience. Also, Mack already has a 7 figure job with the university playing golf with boosters as well as a sweet gig with ESPN/ABC. Why would he want to triple his working hours for what would likely be a pay cut? The $1.4M buyout isn't that big of a deal either. They still owe Rick Barnes some money but that is about it. If Mack was brought in, I would assume it would be on an interim basis. Who knows?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

I know some folks who are close to GB and they still believe that he's interested in a big SEC job or a Commissioners job first and foremost. Can't see Texas at a time that they're circling the wagons, take a guy who's Dad was the AD at TAM. That's not a knock on Greg of course it's just that the conversation isn't going there. They want a Texas guy and that's who they will get.

My only comment on the Mack Brown as AD is that you don't have to be the Business smart guy to be the AD - you hire somebody to do that part of it while you do all of the social part of being AD. I don't know who it is now but John Perrin was the long time money guy and business side of the UA AD. Patterson as somebody pointed out (Wilner I think?), is that guy but he doesn't have the personality to do the other part of the AD job which is as equally important as the business side. Meeting with donors, coaches and student athletes.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Doug Gottlieb (yeah I know...) Just reported that Mack was rumored to be a candidate.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ground the flight tracker or fire it up?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

UAdevil wrote:Doug Gottlieb (yeah I know...) Just reported that Mack was rumored to be a candidate.
Of course he is. Doesn't mean he gets the job but you could obviously do worse. He cares about the school, has plenty of donors who like him. Understands what it's like to be a coach and all that comes with it - and he can be the perfect cheerleader which is also a big part of being the AD.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Does shaggy Texas return to shaggy bevo?

Dill what was the actual story sit the name change? No I'm not going to read that 83 page thread.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Chip Brown is reporting that Mack Brown is not a candidate for the Texas AD. Dude is legit when it comes to reporting on Texas so if he says Mack is out then Mack is out.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

This is when you know you hate your rival. When you hear that their former AD who left and is now at another school got fired, and you come on this board to discuss it but see a bunch of people already talking trash about him.

Man we all hate ASU that much
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:

Yep and didn't he just take one of his kids out to TCU to go to school. Would be a short drive from Dallas to Austin. Maybe thry want a Longhorn man given what Patterson has done
While that is surely preferred & ideal... I would guess that it is less of a 'prerequisite' than many here are suggesting. Patterson was a 'Longhorn man' (graduated HS in TX, and has both his undergrad & JD from UT). I am sure that was a factor in him getting the job to begin with - and look how that turned out.

As for the suggestions from some that Byrne won't be considered because of his A&M ties... I think that is a seriously faulty assumption.

1. Byrne is not his Dad

2. Big money alumni & donors remember very fondly the old SWC days when Darrel Royal won 3 NC's. He played his college ball at Oklahoma. (And OU did not have a problem with hiring a Razorback alum in Barry Switzer to lead their program).
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Greg Byrne is one of the most respected and coveted AD's in the nation.

Even though he is young, the guy just has it and everyone knows it.

Don't BS yourself one minute, Texas money and boosters know damn well what the UofA faithful know. Greg will take your department and program to the next level and do everything with unrelenting integrity and professionalism.

Arizona and President Hart has every right to be worried. Greg may not feel its the right time to go right now, but that day and the dollars that will be offered are coming.

If he leaves any replacement will be a step down IMO.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Simply put, Greg is on everyones short list!