Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

3rdand25

Re: Coach Rod

Post by 3rdand25 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Maybe he was asking his assistant to help cover up the affair?
DING DING DING.... this was reported on one of the major news wires.
Whats up with ESPN; its after midnight and when they are reporting on this RR firing its spin
- Mention of an unsubstantiated harassment complaint
- Mention of his overall record

Glaring omissions
- No mention of extramarital affair/cover up
- No mention of 'triangle of secrecy'

Certainly they are omitting some of the salacious details about a friend, but in this day and age, when was the last time a public figure was afforded that?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:
splitsecond wrote:Did we all overlook the fact that they fired him via email?

Lol really? Couldn’t happen to a more deserving person.

We always knew rr had a roving eye with other schools. Looks like those bar analogies from Harvey specter about rr courting other schools were more true than we knew.
I was quick to criticize him from the day he arrived because my read was that he was an egomaniac who put himself above all else and refused to ever acknowledge his own responsibility for his failures... and that he was a carpet-bagging gladhander, who held everyone around him to a different standard than he does himself. Seemed clear as day to me.... I've seen it a hundred times.

He is also being sued by CAA (former agents) for defaulted fees of over $200K. He tried to weasel out of his contractual buyout with WVU when he left, too. He responded to every glance he got from other schools while he was here (which were not many) after declaring his undying love for Tucson 2 hours after landing here. He loved to 'kick tires' but would but would cut a recruit in a heartbeat if they did it to him.

Notice a trend?

He always struck me as a hypocrite, a phony, and a fraud. You can get away with that when you are very good at your job. He was not, and has not been for > a decade.

I do feel for his wife and kids. If he doesn't man up and face his inevitable next presser BY HIMSELF (without dragging his wife in front of the camera to diffuse the attacks on him), my attacks on him thus far will look like thumb wrestling. She is being humiliated enough through this whole process.

50+ year old guys don't just start having an isolated affair. His fidelity is not on trial... but if he tries to play that card he'll enter Rick Pitino territory on my POS meter.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
ramcat wrote:RR statement, says he took and passed polygraph.
Effed up!!!

https://twitter.com/CoachRodAZ/status/9 ... twterm%5E0" target="_blank
There is a reason those are not admissible in court.... just sayin'. People with ginormous egos are typically fantastic liars.

Shit, look how many on this board believed so much of the bullshit he spewed from the day his name was announced.
True, but if Guilty really not worth the risk of nail in coffin.
Lawyers seldom advise clients to do these, per what you say. The fact that he did carries weight as lots of downside in light of allegations. Again, didn't independent investigation establish no merit to accusation? So polygraph in line with findings.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ramcat wrote:Perception is reality. Not going over well in locker room or with recruits according to Jake Fischer.

https://twitter.com/JakeFischer33/statu ... twterm%5E0" target="_blank
Too bad. It's absolutely the right move for the program.
Don't disagree, just think the handling was Terrible! Recruits who signed feel played, existing and former players are devoted and feel disrespect in how it was handled.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ramcat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
ramcat wrote:RR statement, says he took and passed polygraph.
Effed up!!!

https://twitter.com/CoachRodAZ/status/9 ... twterm%5E0" target="_blank
There is a reason those are not admissible in court.... just sayin'. People with ginormous egos are typically fantastic liars.

Shit, look how many on this board believed so much of the bullshit he spewed from the day his name was announced.
True, but if Guilty really not worth the risk of nail in coffin.
Lawyers seldom advise clients to do these, per what you say. The fact that he did carries weight as lots of downside in light of allegations. Again, didn't independent investigation establish no merit to accusation? So polygraph in line with findings.
If it went down as you said, then it would seem to have some merit. We don't know if he did it independently and then shared the certified results once he knew he had passed, etc.

Again, I'll defer to lawyers on this... but if he is completely innocent, then I would guess that the University could open themselves up to a lawsuit by making mention of the harrassment claims with the announcement he was fired. That seemed very odd to me. That could be spun as "advancing a false narrative that damaged his reputation & limited his future head coaching opportunities", etc.

As for the investigation that was already done, I don't care if it was outside counsel... when the party paying the bills is potentially involved, it is never "independent".

The major allegation released was that RR bothered his admin at all hours of day or night and forced her to help him cover up the affair and lie to his wife. She (rightfully) refused to cooperate with the UA-sponsored investigation... who else would likely have knowledge of that? It's not like it would have been the last item on his agenda at staff meetings.

There are phone & email records, and if she is smart & recorded some conversations now he may look innocent from UA's perspective but he's toast. His admin is the likely person he'd lean on... and that typically would be the type who is very easily controlled & manipulated; doesn't make a lot of money... could have kids and badly need her job, etc.

^^^And if that's right, my guess is her attorney(s) took the case on retainer. If it is a reputable & profitable firm, they don't "need" the business - and the next lawyer I meet who likes to work for free will be the first.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Question about UofA opening themselves to a lawsuit.. If they are paying his buy out and saying publicly it is without cause, wouldn't the only suit RR would have is libel/slander against MMW?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

btfd16 wrote:Question about UofA opening themselves to a lawsuit.. If they are paying his buy out and saying publicly it is without cause, wouldn't the only suit RR would have is libel/slander against MMW?
I would think so... but why even mention the lawsuit & detail the nature of the claims? Makes no sense to me..

PS - Why don't you just type her name? It is easy enough to look up. You liked RR a whole lot more than the other people I know who worked in the department under him...
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
btfd16 wrote:Question about UofA opening themselves to a lawsuit.. If they are paying his buy out and saying publicly it is without cause, wouldn't the only suit RR would have is libel/slander against MMW?
I would think so... but why even mention the lawsuit & detail the nature of the claims? Makes no sense to me..

PS - Why don't you just type her name? It is easy enough to look up. You liked RR a whole lot more than the other people I know who worked in the department under him...
I would disagree. The players, most assistant coaches, hell even managers, trainers, video staff liked him. Was he somewhat a dick on the field? Yup. Every HBC has somewhat of an asshole quality. But inside the facility, I haven't talked to any one that remained with the program who hated him. I have talked with one of my 25+ manager colleagues who truly did not like him. Only kids/coaches who left or were parted ways with. She is suing and if it is easy enough to find, feel free to look her up. Her daughter was even a manager for like a month.

Side note while talking about former staff: Fuck Sean Patterson. We hated that guy. Thought he was God's gift to Earth just cause little bro was a 5 star.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ramcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
ramcat wrote:Perception is reality. Not going over well in locker room or with recruits according to Jake Fischer.

https://twitter.com/JakeFischer33/statu ... twterm%5E0" target="_blank
Too bad. It's absolutely the right move for the program.
Don't disagree, just think the handling was Terrible! Recruits who signed feel played, existing and former players are devoted and feel disrespect in how it was handled.
Some guys will get over it. Some guys won’t.

But lets be honest with ourselves. RR was not setting the world on fire with his recruiting. Are we about to lose a bunch of 2-star, 5’8” “athletes” that were exclusively recruited by teams outside a Power-5 conference?

If the next guy we bring in can recruit major conference talent, we’ll get over it. Those guys who are current players and recruits are probably at least partially pissed because they are scared they are about to see their playing time diminish in a significant way. If they feel like they need to transfer to UNLV or UTEP or Utah State, hey........ more power to them. But it’s not like the USCs, Oregons, or Oklahomas of the college football world are licking their chops to come poach more than a couple of players from our program unless they’re desperate for clipboard holders and tackling dummies.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Rich Rod was a sham. He always was. Yet some of you fought and fought......to what end? Game is over. Let the new era begin.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

No.

According to the Star, that was part of it:

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 5ce06.html

The notice of claim alleges, among other things, that Rodriguez and his closest aides followed a "hideaway book" that detailed such sayings as "Title IX doesn't exist in our office." Those who had the most interaction with Rodriguez — the former employee and two assistant coaches — referred to themselves as the "Triangle of Secrecy," according to the claim. The three were charged with lying to Rodriguez's wife to cover up an extramarital affair, according to the claim, and were ordered to protect the coach's reputation above all else.

Come on chief, it's OK to say it:

I was wrong.

Sorry, I misspoke

My bad.

Pick one, it's not that hard.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UAEebs86 wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

No.

According to the Star, that was part of it:

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 5ce06.html

The notice of claim alleges, among other things, that Rodriguez and his closest aides followed a "hideaway book" that detailed such sayings as "Title IX doesn't exist in our office." Those who had the most interaction with Rodriguez — the former employee and two assistant coaches — referred to themselves as the "Triangle of Secrecy," according to the claim. The three were charged with lying to Rodriguez's wife to cover up an extramarital affair, according to the claim, and were ordered to protect the coach's reputation above all else.

Come on chief, it's OK to say it:

I was wrong.

Sorry, I misspoke

My bad.

Pick one, it's not that hard.
It hasn't even begun yet buddy. Hold your horses.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azgreg wrote:
If that’s the case than it should’ve been after the bowl game loss.
prh

Post by prh »

There is zero reason the university would say anything but this. “We fired him for this thing that we investigated to be be false” is the quickest way for the school to open itself for a lawsuit. The way this has been done is messy but has minimized the potential for lawsuit from all directions. This is just like any HR department.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:
You don't fire someone that late in the game if you don't have someone likely lined up
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:
You don't fire someone that late in the game if you don't have someone likely lined up
:D
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:
If that's the case, it should have been prior to the bowl game. It wasn't like the bowl performance was much different than the season.

That seems like a PR tack to distract from the lawsuit.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Goodness gracious coach. What were you thinking? Amazing lack of judgment (assuming the allegations have legs).
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:
So who do you think it is? How long till they announce?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

My understanding as of 840 am on the third

RR was not very well liked by Heeke especially after the asu game
Heeke likely has been working on a replacement the last few weeks and may have an agreement already
The suit filed maybe bs based on below
There was an investigation that found no wrongdoing in terms of harassment
The investigation though did find troubling things and lead to mistrust of RR with Heeke and Robins
The suit likely speed up the announcement but most likely would have happened without it
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:
So who do you think it is? How long till they announce?
Cannot formally announce and make hire until the 12th due to ABOR but I bet Heeke and agreement in place or two finalist already. The national search firm is to throw off the public that this was in the works already
jimson

Post by jimson »

PHXCATS wrote:
Cannot formally announce and make hire until the 12th due to ABOR but I bet Heeke and agreement in place or two finalist already. The national search firm is to throw off the public that this was in the works already
Yep, the new coach has already been chosen.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:My understanding as of 840 am on the third

RR was not very well liked by Heeke especially after the asu game
Heeke likely has been working on a replacement the last few weeks and may have an agreement already
The suit filed maybe bs based on below
There was an investigation that found no wrongdoing in terms of harassment
The investigation though did find troubling things and lead to mistrust of RR with Heeke and Robins
The suit likely speed up the announcement but most likely would have happened without it
Ultimately the AD knew this was going to court and they have enough hanging over their head with Bradford, the track coach, and the FBI situation. They were far from in love with RR, so sacrificing him as opposed to having yet another black cloud hanging over their heads they decided to just pay RR to go away. Ultimately he's the most sacrificable in the entire athletic department regardless how much he costs to go away.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Heeke probably wondered what he got himself into. Dealing with what 3-4 lawsuits now, FBI investigations, having to clean up poisoned programs, keeping up with a facilities arms race we are barely hanging in there with. Legal bills will turn out to be more than any buyout.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Question for those who may know.

We hired an Oline coach a few weeks ago. Is it possible Heeke already knew who he wanted and got the buy in on the new oline coach from the new head coach?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

MW's named is revealed (Melissa Wilhelmsen):
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

If the claims of coming on to her are true, then fuck RR and I will apologize for supporting the man (not the coach).

If being shirtless is a claim than oh boy could I make a lot of money from coaches, players etc... You work in a football facility. Half the team walks up to meeting shirtless after work outs. You also have an adjacent seat in to his office with a glass door.

Also, the picture of Rita backing you in to a corner demanding to know about his affair would be some scary fucking shit.
Last edited by btfd16 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Rivera gets it. Succinctly. This isn't that hard. People saying this wasn't "handled" correctly are delusional. This is an easy call for the AD.

http://allsportstucson.com/2018/01/02/w ... other-day/" target="_blank

"What it all means is it clearly doesn’t all play well when you have a new athletic director and new president as bosses. If they don’t like you or don’t think much of you or don’t respect you, or, or, or then people find reasons to get rid of you. And, well, if UA needed a reason, Rich Rod gave them a plethora."
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

The University of Arizona has way more going for it than its currently shitty football program. World class optics, space exploration, medicine, law, business programs, they don't need to be associated or branded AT ALL with this yokel.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Heeke probably wondered what he got himself into. Dealing with what 3-4 lawsuits now, FBI investigations, having to clean up poisoned programs, keeping up with a facilities arms race we are barely hanging in there with. Legal bills will turn out to be more than any buyout.
Thanks Byrne.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:MW's named is revealed (Melissa Wilhelmsen):
Rodriguez called her into his office in January 2017 when he began discussing his marital problems and then grabbed her, “embraced her, touched the side of her breast, and tried to kiss her.”

Very fitting in today's world of men in power.

Bet news sources have flooded her email:

MELISSA WILHELMSEN
TITLE Administrative Associate to Head Football Coach
EMAIL mmelendez@arizona.edu" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Wonder if this is her? These images have been deleted from the web pages, but remain in Google Image Search.

Crest Insurance Group

Twitter
Last edited by Merkin on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

:lol:
gumby

Post by gumby »

azgreg wrote:
He misheard. It was actually "the erection of the program."
Right where I want to be.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Merkin wrote:
Rodriguez called her into his office in January 2017 when he began discussing his marital problems and then grabbed her, “embraced her, touched the side of her breast, and tried to kiss her.”

MELISSA WILHELMSEN
EMAIL mmelendez@arizona.edu" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
She (for obvious reasons) no longer works at Arizona so that email wouldn't work.
prh

Post by prh »

BearDown89 wrote:Rivera gets it. Succinctly. This isn't that hard. People saying this wasn't "handled" correctly are delusional. This is an easy call for the AD.

"What it all means is it clearly doesn’t all play well when you have a new athletic director and new president as bosses. If they don’t like you or don’t think much of you or don’t respect you, or, or, or then people find reasons to get rid of you. And, well, if UA needed a reason, Rich Rod gave them a plethora."
Good article, although he does take the reputation thing a little far. The track scandal is horrific, so is Bradford, but neither of those are really known outside our fan base. To bring up Hemmila reeks of searching for bullet points on his garbage list.

Also, another point on the screw Byrne list, since he refused to do anything with Gibson/Carter and swept it under the rug.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

gumby wrote:
azgreg wrote:
He misheard. It was actually "the erection of the program."

Feldman is good friends with RR.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

prh wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:Rivera gets it. Succinctly. This isn't that hard. People saying this wasn't "handled" correctly are delusional. This is an easy call for the AD.

Good article, although he does take the reputation thing a little far. The track scandal is horrific, so is Bradford, but neither of those are really known outside our fan base. To bring up Hemmila reeks of searching for bullet points on his garbage list.

Also, another point on the screw Byrne list, since he refused to do anything with Gibson/Carter and swept it under the rug.
He brought up Zach? Fuck that guy. Fuck Rivera. To bring up that tragedy as a point in firing RR makes me sick.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

^ It was also really stupid how he closed all the practices all the time like he was running some top secret national security mission or something. Even if opposing scouts watched every single practice, you pretty much knew what play Arizona was going to run everytime anyway...make your qb overthink reading the defensive end, and either hand the ball off for a run up the middle, run yourself, or throw a slant, hitch, or out pass--not exactly hard to figure out. And our defense finished like 115 out of 125 yet again in total defense, glad we kept all those schemes secret too.

No brainer for the next coach: be open to the local community, players, and media...you're the only show in town, so be inclusive not exclusive like RR was from day 1.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I am still heated Rivera brought up Zach. I was friends with Zach. I am not happy. Fuck that guy.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Matt Scott a tad upset.

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

So how much will it take to settle this mess? :roll:

50-100K? 100-500K...Mill? Purely entertainment, but don't see this going to trial. :P
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:

MELISSA WILHELMSEN
EMAIL mmelendez@arizona.edu" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Wonder if this is her? These images have been deleted from the web pages, but remain in Google Image Search.

Crest Insurance Group

Twitter
So she requested a transfer to another school... it was denied... and then she quit and filed a lawsuit. Very interesting...

So RR was banging another chick and trying to get on her when he was supposed to be laser focused on keeping his job? So focused that he kept Tate on the bench to let BD start.

If he kept text & phone recordings that she refused to share then of course the University investigation would not have revealed any wrongdoing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:^ It was also really stupid how he closed all the practices all the time like he was running some top secret national security mission or something. Even if opposing scouts watched every single practice, you pretty much knew what play Arizona was going to run everytime anyway...make your qb overthink reading the defensive end, and either hand the ball off for a run up the middle, run yourself, or throw a slant, hitch, or out pass--not exactly hard to figure out. And our defense finished like 115 out of 125 yet again in total defense, glad we kept all those schemes secret too.

No brainer for the next coach: be open to the local community, players, and media...you're the only show in town, so be inclusive not exclusive like RR was from day 1.
Most coaches aren't. With the prevailing success model being Saban, it probably isn't trending in a more open direction, either.
prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote:Matt Scott a tad upset.
And Matt Scott looks clueless to how things really work
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:Matt Scott a tad upset.

Matt Scott should read the actual findings from the FBI investigation...
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Merkin wrote:

MELISSA WILHELMSEN
EMAIL mmelendez@arizona.edu" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Crest Insurance Group

Twitter
So she requested a transfer to another school... it was denied... and then she quit and filed a lawsuit. Very interesting...

So RR was banging another chick and trying to get on her when he was supposed to be laser focused on keeping his job? So focused that he kept Tate on the bench to let BD start.

If he kept text & phone recordings that she refused to share then of course the University investigation would not have revealed any wrongdoing.
If the school requested her communication, wouldn't they get RR's communication too? They said he cooperated fully.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

btfd16 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Merkin wrote:

MELISSA WILHELMSEN
EMAIL mmelendez@arizona.edu" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Crest Insurance Group

Twitter

If the school requested her communication, wouldn't they get RR's communication too? They said he cooperated fully.
I doubt their investigation raised to the level of recovering deleted communications from his phone... and if she recorded any conversations, he would not have had any knowledge of (or copies of) to share.

It will be interesting to see if any of the people who did not substantiate her claims change their testimony in her lawsuit now that there is no fear of reprisal from the HDIC.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Merkin wrote:

MELISSA WILHELMSEN
EMAIL mmelendez@arizona.edu" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Crest Insurance Group

Twitter

Figuratively speaking which lady is Louisville and which one is South Carolina?

That’s an expensive side piece.