Washington State QB Tyler Hilinski

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

btfd16

Washington State QB Tyler Hilinski

Post by btfd16 »

Sending prayers to the Washington State and Hilinski family... Awful news. No parent should have to go through.
MrBug708

Re: Washington State QB Tyler Hilinski

Post by MrBug708 »

Awful story all around. I know people close to that program and it was a total shock. He was going to have the team for the next couple of years and loved being up at WSU.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He was the QB Leach put in against us this year when he benched Falk.

RIP
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Good God that’s just terrible news. RIP young man. Prayers to his family, friends, and the WSU Program. Very sad news indeed.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

You never know what people are going through, but you are never alone. We like to argue and mess around on this board, but we are all Wildcat brothers and sisters. If you ever need someone to talk to, don't be afraid to send a PM to just chat or call 1-800-273-8255.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

btfd16 wrote:You never know what people are going through, but you are never alone. We like to argue and mess around on this board, but we are all Wildcat brothers and sisters. If you ever need someone to talk to, don't be afraid to send a PM to just chat or call 1-800-273-8255.
Wise words and very thoughtful message btfd16. You are a class act. Bear Down.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Half of all mental health disorders manifest themselves by age 14 and 3/4 by age 24. More soldiers die by suicide than in combat.

I obviously don't know the situation here, but my oldest son went through some severe mental health problems but was one of the lucky few that survived a suicide by cop attempt even though he was shot and injured.

His family are in my thoughts and I would be crying right f I wasn't on the bus.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

People will say, "But why would he do it? He had everything going for him!"

That's the thing. Depression can affect anyone. From the friendless loner to the D1 quarterback who everyone looks up to and thinks has got it all figured out.

As btfd said, you just never know what people are going through. :cry:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Tragic. Middle of January is statistically the peak of suicide attempts for young people

RIP
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:People will say, "But why would he do it? He had everything going for him!"

That's the thing. Depression can affect anyone. From the friendless loner to the D1 quarterback who everyone looks up to and thinks has got it all figured out.

As btfd said, you just never know what people are going through. :cry:
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Ian MacLaren

Truly heartbreaking... I cannot imagine anything more devastating than outliving one of your children. And death is final regardless of the circumstances, but situations like this have got to be the worst.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:Half of all mental health disorders manifest themselves by age 14 and 3/4 by age 24. More soldiers die by suicide than in combat.

I obviously don't know the situation here, but my oldest son went through some severe mental health problems but was one of the lucky few that survived a suicide by cop attempt even though he was shot and injured.

His family are in my thoughts and I would be crying right f I wasn't on the bus.
That is an amazing statistic... where did you get that from?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Merkin wrote:Half of all mental health disorders manifest themselves by age 14 and 3/4 by age 24. More soldiers die by suicide than in combat.

That is an amazing statistic... where did you get that from?
If you include vets: Suicide has caused more American casualties than wars in Iraq and Afghanistan

https://www.mercurynews.com/2015/11/10/ ... ghanistan/" target="_blank

On active duty:

WASHINGTON — Suicide — not combat — is the leading killer of U.S. troops deployed to the Middle East to fight Islamic State militants, according to newly released Pentagon statistics.

U.S. casualties have been relatively low since the U.S.-led war effort began with a bombing campaign in August 2014, reflecting the limited combat exposure for troops. Of the 31 troops who have died as of Dec. 27 in Operation Inherent Resolve, 11 have taken their own lives. Eight died in combat, seven in accidents and four succumbed to illness or injury. The cause of one death is under investigation.

The reasons suicide ranks as the No. 1 cause of troop deaths are complex and poorly understood, according to experts on military suicide. They likely include mental illnesses that enlistees brought with them to boot camp, post-traumatic stress, multiple combat deployments and heightened anxiety in a military at war for 16 years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /95961038/" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Just an extraordinarily sad situation. Prayers to his family. Depression and mental health affect everyone and hopefully more people reach out if they are suffering.

Much respect to btrd16. The more people who utilize resources available, the better off the world is.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Just awful. I fear for the post millennial generation quite a bit (those born after the late 90s who grew up only knowing a world completely taken over by the internet and social media etc). If I remember correctly I saw a statistic that showed that the rate of suicide among young people had almost doubled in the last 20 years.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Just awful. I fear for the post millennial generation quite a bit (those born after the late 90s who grew up only knowing a world completely taken over by the internet and social media etc). If I remember correctly I saw a statistic that showed that the rate of suicide among young people had almost doubled in the last 20 years.
My dad pointed that out yesterday. He went to WSU so I called him to tell him. He said it feels like there are so many more situations like this since the age of the internet and social media. I didn't see any statistic about it, but I can very much see that being true.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Something that is very dear to my heart, mental health disorders due to my son, so major props to Kevin Love.

Never hated him anyway, he was quite a talent, but major props to him.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

One challenge I have being a massive football fan is reconciling it with the fact the sport is inherently very dirty and dangerous to the people who play it

RIP
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:One challenge I have being a massive football fan is reconciling it with the fact the sport is inherently very dirty and dangerous to the people who play it
Same conundrum here. Added to that is my 8-year-old’s desperate need to play tackle football.

I just can’t do that to him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My wife never let my sons play tackle football.

They got over it.

And at least out here, soccer is really big for youths going all the way up to colleges.
prh

Post by prh »

Chicat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:One challenge I have being a massive football fan is reconciling it with the fact the sport is inherently very dirty and dangerous to the people who play it
Same conundrum here. Added to that is my 8-year-old’s desperate need to play tackle football.

I just can’t do that to him.
Not that I have kids, but one thing I wish I'd done is get into sports I could keep playing through college. I played baseball/basketball/football growing up, so I tried hard to hold on with intramurals, but even that runs out at some point. Now that I'm a few years removed from school, I've bounced between running and golf as hobbies. But it would be way more fun if I was a lot better at both of them. (I did golf a little growing up but put it on hold during HS for baseball)

TLDR maybe try to distract him with other sports?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Mom's don't let your kids grow up to be modern day gladiators.

The future of football both from a cost (at the lower levels) and a safety factor is precarious at best.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

One of the few things my dad put his foot down on was not allowing me to play football. He played through high school at st Mary’s during their glory days in the 60s and would always say “I’m not letting you do that it will ruin your body”

Looking back he was so right.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

prh wrote:Not that I have kids, but one thing I wish I'd done is get into sports I could keep playing through college. I played baseball/basketball/football growing up, so I tried hard to hold on with intramurals, but even that runs out at some point. Now that I'm a few years removed from school, I've bounced between running and golf as hobbies. But it would be way more fun if I was a lot better at both of them. (I did golf a little growing up but put it on hold during HS for baseball)
I played basketball until my mid 40s and racquetball into my early 50s.

Used to play a lot of golf when I was younger, but haven't played it in over 30 years. Life happens, and it's hard to give up 5 hours on weekends when you have a job, family, house and such.

Now golf is dying off when I will actually have the time to play it in a few years. They used to have a par 3 golf course near my house, which would be perfect, you can walk that, and still be gone only a couple of hours. Closed 2 years ago.

Never played soccer as a kid in the midwest, there were only 4 sports in the 60s, baseball in summer, football in the fall, basketball in winter, along with hockey.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I get what you guys are saying and I've had this same conversation with my brother.

I agree there is some risk associated with letting your kid compete in high school sports in general and football in particular. My brother was a very good high school player and blew out his knee. An injury he had to live with the rest of his life.

I was a wrestler of limited natural ability but made up for it with very hard work. I blew out my knee in high school and blew out the other one in college intramurals. I've had very bad knees ever since.(I'm 55)

Still, I think the value that a young man gains from some kind of extra-curricular activity is tangible. It doesn't have to be sports, it can be band, art, or whatever, but even with the injuries we sustained, I'm sure that my brother and I both grew to be better men by having participated.

I realize this is a different level than CTE or any neurological trauma, but absent what I would consider bad coaching, or some familial or congenital reason, I'd let my son compete in football if he wanted to, but I doubt I'd like to see him play in college.

I do often have some internal conflict cheering these young men in college when I know they are risking their health. I really hope that coaching techniques, rules, and equipment are evolving so these situations are minimized. Such a terrible shame and waste that guys like Hilinski paid such an awful price.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Good point about college CD. Can you imagine being a ball carrier being hit by Chuck Cecil?

Tackers too, reminds me of that super collegian but NFL bust Brian Bosworth. When he retired from the NFL, someone asked him if he was going to miss football. He said "would you miss running into a brick wall every day"?

I saw an HBO special about 20 years ago about football players regarding the big uglies. They all said they knew they would have issues walking in their 40s.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Yeah, and I see a lot of complaining by guys I know about the newer rules intended to protect defenseless receivers. I think they are great and am for any changes which will increase player safety.

I don't think playing football at the college or NFL level should be a death sentence. Hopefully we can see it move to a less than risk-your-well-being scenario.
prh

Post by prh »

Great points everyone. Merk, you're right about golf becoming inconvenient as life grows.

I think this news about Hillinski is really getting overlooked on a national level. Remember that CTE is from minor repetitive contact, unlike concussions. For a backup college QB to have it so badly, that should absolutely terrify people associated with the game, from the NFL all the way down to parents of young kids.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just saw this posted, made me think of this thread.

Like I said above soccer is the way to go. :)

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

My honest thought has always been as soon as Arizona makes a Rose Bowl, I stop being a football fan. I have put in so much time in being an Arizona football fan and want to see that happen so badly. But long term it just keeps getting harder to be a football fan knowing how dirty the sport is. I worked with a guy who was in the league for 6 years and had to retire due to concussions. The guy would have episodes where his mind would literally just go blank. It was the saddest thing ever. I know others who are fine but then I ask myself if they are really fine because some symptoms happen later in life.

Just sad and I now have a son and will never let him play. He will play a real mans sport like his dad anyways, water polo
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat wrote:He will play a real mans sport like his dad anyways, water polo
My daughter used to play in high school, very nasty sport what you don't see under the surface of the water.

She said the boys team used to wear 2 speedos, since one very common move was to take your foot and try to take your opponents trunks off.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote:
Newportcat wrote:He will play a real mans sport like his dad anyways, water polo
My daughter used to play in high school, very nasty sport what you don't see under the surface of the water.

She said the boys team used to wear 2 speedos, since one very common move was to take your foot and try to take your opponents trunks off.
Yeah I wore two Speedo’s for this reason. I played for U of A and it is an aggressive sport but actual injuries were minor. Broke my nose in high school but that’s about all you hear. No major concussions etc

Very tough sport
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Jesus, this really makes his suicide hit close to home

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... uarterback" target="_blank
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Newportcat wrote:Jesus, this really makes his suicide hit close to home

Good God.

...and I remember some on Goazcats complaining that the new rules for player safety were causing a "pussifcation of football"
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

damn...that hit was vicious but stopped the touchdown
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't look at a hit like this the same way I used too.

prh

Post by prh »

This is exactly why not to let your kids play football. No one tried to make this a dangerous play, it just happened.

It's tough to see, but it looks like Fields's arms go out to try to wrap up. Maybe not, but it doesn't look like he's just rocketing in for a big hit. It looks like he's trying to make an ok play.

Hilinski is running upright until right at the end when it looks like he's thinking of diving for the goalline. He gets turned slightly left by the defender (DFF?), and that puts his head right into Fields target zone. And maybe it's the side of his head, which I'd think is even worse than the front.

Maybe someone else can elaborate, I have a tough time with the gif. But Watching that play looks pretty innocuous right until the last little head twist barely before contact.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I dont think Tony Fields was trying to do anything wrong. Keep in mind how fast these plays happen and the QB definitely did not try and slide. I think Tony was just trying to make a play to prevent a TD. The QB was just trying to run the ball in the end zone. And boom their helmets hit viciously.

But as you said this is exactly why you do not let your kids play football. In a split second plays like this happen all the time whether intended or not.

Just so sad
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Fields didn’t like it either.
“When I (saw) what happened and heard about the autopsy ... it was sad because I feel like I was a part of that,” Fields said. “It was very sad.”

It hasn’t been easy for Fields to cope, and it wouldn’t be surprising if that play crosses his mind the next time he’s going in for a tackle.

“You gotta play football the way they want you to play now,” he said. “You can’t hit towards the head, you’ve gotta use your shoulders more than anything, hit more below the belt, honestly. You don’t want to hit high. The more you hit high, the more chance you have of hurting your head, getting a head injury long-term or short-term.”

Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Truly sad story

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... res-sorrow" target="_blank

Fuck football