Jedd Fisch- Traveling Used Car Salesman / Coach For Hire

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Jedd Fisch

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:59 pm
azgreg wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:21 pm
Merkin wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:59 pm But what's the buyout for each party? I guess the UA owes him 50% if fired without cause like the other head coaches.

But how much does it cost Fisch to leave? He hasn't stayed at any job more than 3 years has he?
How many head coaching jobs has he left?
Pretty hard to leave a job you never had.
He was asked multiple times about the stops when he was hired. Most were not his decision. Others were a means to get to his goal of being a head coach. He'll be here three years, maybe more. We all know that Arizona is a stepping stone school and if he's poached by a bigger name program it will be a result of rebuilding Arizona and I'll be OK with it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I agree that UA FB is not a terminal destination like the MBB program is, but last time UA was a stepping stone for a football coach was Larry Smith. Then it was a terminal destination for a different reason, although Tomey and RichRod eventually did find head coaching positions elsewhere.

And if he does bring back the UA FB program and leaves for a bigger and better school, I will be just as pleased as anyone and wish nothing but the best for him.

As long he doesn't do a Larry Smith on his way out.

A head coach at Arizona moving up to a better program has about as much chance of happening as a UA QB does of making the NFL.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I'd like for us to be like Utah. Their coach has stayed a long time.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Merkin wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:10 pm As long he doesn't do a Larry Smith on his way out.
With all the efforts that are undertaken to keep negotiations a secret, and with all the times coaches are asked to deny rumors about them leaving, the chances of us not feeling jilted when Jedd Lasso does leave us are about 0%.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

To think when Jedd was hired, 99% of this board hated the hire. Now we're talking about what if he leaves for a better job? How times have changed.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Irish27 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:19 am To think when Jedd was hired, 99% of this board hated the hire. Now we're talking about what if he leaves for a better job? How times have changed.
Going from being the worst Power 5 team in the known universe to having a pulse and some hope will do that to you.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I am not completely sold as Jedd Fisch the coach, but Jedd Fisch the accumulator of talent is the best we have seen. I just hope the message doesn't grow stale and he and Nansen continue to learn on the job.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Irish27 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:19 am To think when Jedd was hired, 99% of this board hated the hire. Now we're talking about what if he leaves for a better job? How times have changed.
Still not 100% convinced he is the right guy for the job. I admit I was 100% against the hire the first season. 2nd season has made me soften my stance on the hire and now I am a solid 75% for it. 2023 will be the defining season. If he can mesh together a D like he did with the O then I am 100% sold. I think the extension was a year premature though. If they were going to do it based on performance, why not wait until seeing how the rebuild goes on both sides of the line and then extend for a significant length of time instead of a couple of years. It would justify opening up the wallet to pay big money and hopefully entice someone to hang around and want to continue coaching the Wildcats.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Basketcats wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:55 am
Still not 100% convinced he is the right guy for the job. I admit I was 100% against the hire the first season. 2nd season has made me soften my stance on the hire and now I am a solid 75% for it. 2023 will be the defining season. If he can mesh together a D like he did with the O then I am 100% sold. I think the extension was a year premature though. If they were going to do it based on performance, why not wait until seeing how the rebuild goes on both sides of the line and then extend for a significant length of time instead of a couple of years. It would justify opening up the wallet to pay big money and hopefully entice someone to hang around and want to continue coaching the Wildcats.
Agree, if he can build off of last year then I'm definitely on board. If the D still isn't good next year and we still don't go to a bowl or lose to ASU or even win less games I'm off the bandwagon. Have to beat ASU and win 6-7 games before a bowl next year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Agree 100% on the extension being premature. They don't seem to to work out well for Arizona.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Doesn’t ABOR have some rule about contracts being 5 years or less? Might be why we only tacked on a few years.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:26 am Doesn’t ABOR have some rule about contracts being 5 years or less? Might be why we only tacked on a few years.
Believe so.

The rule used to be one year. Lute would only have a year to year contract. And even then he was underpaid. When Mike Stoops came in, without a single day of head coaching experience, he made more than Lute did, who won a Natty.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:26 am Doesn’t ABOR have some rule about contracts being 5 years or less? Might be why we only tacked on a few years.
I believe it's 5 years for a head coach and 2 for an assistant.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Quite the endorsement of our head man. Wonder how they can leverage that for recruiting?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

azgreg wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:58 am
I believe it's 5 years for a head coach and 2 for an assistant.
If you were a University why would want to give a coach more than a five year contract? If you have to fire the person without cause you're just on the hook for a lot more money.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:38 pm If you were a University why would want to give a coach more than a five year contract? If you have to fire the person without cause you're just on the hook for a lot more money.

Last UA football coach to not get fired was Larry Smith.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Looks like Fisch is putting the offseason efforts to the defense like he did the offense last year.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Jedd is working on going 3-0 for his career offseason record.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Does Jedd run his social accounts or does he have an intern running it? Whoever it is is really good
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Shoulda trademarked it first Jedd.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:23 pm Shoulda trademarked it first Jedd.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm starting to develop questions about Fisch as a coach.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Can you elaborate more on that Choo?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

There will most likely be increasing questions, by an increasing number of people, every week from now thru Thanksgiving.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:45 am I'm starting to develop questions about Fisch as a coach.
I don't have questions as far as him being head coach, but I do think it's obvious at this point that he shouldn't be calling the plays.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ProfessorFate wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:22 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:45 am I'm starting to develop questions about Fisch as a coach.
I don't have questions as far as him being head coach, but I do think it's obvious at this point that he shouldn't be calling the plays.
I am honestly asking. Why do you feel that way?

I think the settlement stuff hit JDL harder than expected. I wasn't able to watch the whole game but play calling was not an issue in what I watched yesterday or any point this year
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I fell like Fisch needs to get out of his own way with the cute play calling. Also not knowing the overtime rules is really not acceptable as a head coach in any sport.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

7 - 20 vs. FBS schools.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Ever since Jedd took over I've never seen one game where our guys ever gave up and didn't keep scrapping.

I think Jedd is a great coach. I do think it's time for our guys to learn how to win.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I like a lot about Fisch. I like his recruiting, how the team plays with effort all game, the depth of the team. Yet, there is one thing Fisch needs to stop and that is calling all the trick plays. They rarely work. Many one or two a season not one or two a game.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

KaibabKat wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:30 am 7 - 20 vs. FBS schools.
You need to put that in context. Fisch inherited a dumpster fire. Arizona is losing small to really good teams now. I believe the Cats will get 3 wins now. I also believe every game for the rest of the season is winnable. After what the Cats did against UW and USC, they can compete with almost any team in the country. And definitely can compete with every team left on the schedule. Arizona is underrated. They can play on both sides of the ball.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Catintheheat wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:02 am
You need to put that in context. Fisch inherited a dumpster fire. Arizona is losing small to really good teams now. I believe the Cats will get 3 wins now. I also believe every game for the rest of the season is winnable. After what the Cats did against UW and USC, they can compete with almost any team in the country. And definitely can compete with every team left on the schedule. Arizona is underrated. They can play on both sides of the ball.
Agreed - damn respectable competitiveness and improvement...

... now just need to learn how to win!! (e. g. the self sabotage throughout the third quarter killed us!!)
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

pc in NM wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:44 am
Catintheheat wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:02 am
Agreed - damn respectable competitiveness and improvement...

... now just need to learn how to win!! (e. g. the self sabotage throughout the third quarter was unbearable!!)
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One thing I really like about Fisch is his teaching the young QBs. Looked like after every series he sat down with Fifita and did a lot of talking to him.

Fifita was also very attentive. Seems that JDL often would look away. Didn't like being corrected I imagine.

But agree on the play calling. They are real head scratchers sometimes.

Besides the trick plays, and the play that ended up the game, the worst play call and execution was when the Cats were methodically driving down the field in the 4th quarter, and were on the SC 40(?) and had a first down. I don't know if Fisch called this, or Fifita audibled it, but throwing it to T-Mac on the goal line who was double covered had a very little chance of success. Then bang, 2nd and 10.

Also when 1st and goal at the 3, running Coleman 3 times up the middle for no gain then losing a couple of yards.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Penalties, poor play calling, blown coverages, missed assignments, and more. These are the difference between beating good teams and losing. I don't know about you, but I'm sick and tired of moral victories. Time to win some actual games!

Yes we pay hard and don't quit, but if Fisch can't fix the little things that plague us every game against good opponents, he'll never win enough to stay a head coach.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Waking up this morning, I feel worse about losing to USC than in the moments after watching the loss last night. So close.

Have to take the next step of learning how to win (as has been said), and going into the Big 12 I want a more organized defense and tougher lines.

But the hustle is there, skill positions are a strength, and the coaching is showing gradual improvement from the disaster the program was two years ago.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

As much as last night hurt, we're clearly on the right track with Fifita. Why Fisch is claiming JDL is the starter completely baffles me. We wont be going anywhere in the Big 12 if we don't start the best QB.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

1) It was absolutely not the right time to ask Fisch about next week. Spears should not have asked that question at that time. Bad timing and completely unprofessional
2) I don't believe it is 100% Fisch has his mind made up. Changing anything he said before helps WSU prepare.
3) Even if Fisch did have his mind made up last night he can change his mind after watching tape and fully digesting the game with the staff and players.
4) The players have all week to let Fisch know what they think.
5) Fisch has done more than enough for me to trust his judgment on this issue.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

PHXCATS wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:14 pm 1) It was absolutely not the right time to ask Fisch about next week. Spears should not have asked that question at that time. Bad timing and completely unprofessional
2) I don't believe it is 100% Fisch has his mind made up. Changing anything he said before helps WSU prepare.
3) Even if Fisch did have his mind made up last night he can change his mind after watching tape and fully digesting the game with the staff and players.
4) The players have all week to let Fisch know what they think.
5) Fisch has done more than enough for me to trust his judgment on this issue.
Everything here but #1. I'll wait till Saturday to see who starts. Hopefully it's Fifita.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Never question the judgement of someone willing to start a rapist.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:55 pm Never question the judgement of someone willing to start a rapist.
I really have been holding back not going there, but since you brought it up, JDL's civil case has not been settled yet. JDL won't lose his freedom, but will be losing a lot more of his NIL money. That has to weigh on his mind. Look at you-know-who and his civil case and how unhinged he is.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... aii-update
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

*Clown makes clown noises*
PHXCATS wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:14 pm 1) It was absolutely not the right time to ask Fisch about next week. Spears should not have asked that question at that time. Bad timing and completely unprofessional
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Merkin wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:06 pm
Alieberman wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:55 pm Never question the judgement of someone willing to start a rapist.
I really have been holding back not going there, but since you brought it up, JDL's civil case has not been settled yet. JDL won't lose his freedom, but will be losing a lot more of his NIL money. That has to weigh on his mind. Look at you-know-who and his civil case and how unhinged he is.

I think you and I are on an island on this 1. If you can win football games people can tolerate/ justify almost anything
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:36 am
Merkin wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:06 pm

I think you and I are on an island on this 1. If you can win football games people can tolerate/ justify almost anything
Not quite. I'm on the same island. I suspect others are too. Sorry Coach Lombardi, winning is not the only thing.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

There is another problem I have with Jedd Fisch. Why all the fair catches? They fair catch on the 5 and fair catch when there are 20 yards of free space to return the punt. I would love Speedy Luke as kick returner. I don't get it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

From what I've read Speedy couldn't catch a cold.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azgreg wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:29 am From what I've read Speedy couldn't catch a cold.
I was hoping he was going to be a big threat for us to use. Now I know why his play is limited.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

I really do think Speedy needs more than 1 snap a game though, which is what he saw at USC. How dude isn't getting 5 to 10 speed sweeps, reverses, pitches, etc per game is beyond me. Speed kills, especially in college.