Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by ChooChooCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:42 am We all hate the late starts, but it's valuable to the networks. We go BIG 12 and get stuck in a western pod with only 6 teams from MTN/PAC time zone, we'll be playing more of these 4th window games. In the PAC, with 10 plus whomever we add, it won't be as many.
This take is literally void of all logic and sense, but ok.

HAHAHAHAHAHA you're dumb and are the problem, go away.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I really hate this thread...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:45 am
PHXCATS wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:39 am No. I want the exact offer.

You know your shit and you are connected. But talking down to everyone who is not in your group is not necessary
I'm not talking down to you. You will know when I'm talking down to you.

You telling every body that they're just Scheer/Mike Luke followers for not wanting to stay in the Pac-12 is talking down to every body.
1) I know you were not to me
2) I said I feel like a lot of the PAC-12 hate is coming form Scheer/Luke. By no means was that talking down to anyone. I think there are Scheer stans on twitter but I dont think anyone here is one of them. But I think what Scheer and Luke said is taken as more truth that it really is
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:48 am I really hate this thread...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:47 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:42 am We all hate the late starts, but it's valuable to the networks. We go BIG 12 and get stuck in a western pod with only 6 teams from MTN/PAC time zone, we'll be playing more of these 4th window games. In the PAC, with 10 plus whomever we add, it won't be as many.

I do think we will see as many if not more HOME night games in football if Arizona moves to the Big 12. Road games we will see less. Subject to change based on what TV networks do if Oregon and Washington and Stanford etc go to the Big Ten.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:51 am

I do think we will see as many if not more HOME night games in football if Arizona moves to the Big 12. Road games we will see less. Subject to change based on what TV networks do if Oregon and Washington and Stanford etc go to the Big Ten.
We're not escaping the late window with a move to the Big 12, I'm not suggesting we will, especially to begin the football season due to weather. I'm far less concerned with football as well, but obviously in the Big 12 outside of September home games we wouldn't have to worry about the late window much at all. My main concern is obviously with basketball, where the late night window games would be very very minimum as opposed to the norm, which the Pac would bring us. Also the basketball season would be thrilling in the Big 12 as opposed to the snoozefest we're in for with the PAC.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Apparently math escapes you. Currently, there are 12 stadiums in the PAC that can host 4th window games. That number will be reduced by 2 once the LA schools leave, but it's likely at least SDSU gets added. Go BIG 12 with the other 4-corner schools, and that number stands at 5 stadiums that can host 4th window games. Maybe BIG 12 adds SDSU too, to make it 6. But last time I looked, 12 > 6.

During conference season, there is currently a max of 6 games networks can choose for 4th window starts for the PAC. If we join the BIG 12, it won't be simple math, as not all the schools are out west, but the number of 4th window potential games will likely never be higher than 4 during conference season, especially when you factor in byes, and half of the west coast teams' conference games will be played in Central time zone.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:54 am
PHXCATS wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:51 am

We're not escaping the late window with a move to the Big 12, I'm not suggesting we will, especially to begin the football season due to weather. I'm far less concerned with football as well, but obviously in the Big 12 outside of September home games we wouldn't have to worry about the late window much at all. My main concern is obviously with basketball, where the late night window games would be very very minimum as opposed to the norm, which the Pac would bring us. Also the basketball season would be thrilling in the Big 12 as opposed to the snoozefest we're in for with the PAC.
Agree with that on basketball. Only these scrub games will be late if Arizona moves
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can someone send me a PM when this is over.

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Ratings for the late window (9pm and onward) against the top rated game of the week:

Weeks 0-1: Boise State @ Oregon State 0.7 v. Notre Dame @ Ohio State 5.2
Week 2: Baylor @ BYU 1.3 v. Alabama @ Texas 5.7 (Arizona-Miss State drew a paltry .29)
Week 3: Miami @ Texas A&M 1.9 v. Penn State @ Auburn 2.3
Week 4: Utah @ Arizona State 0.7 v. Florida @ Tennessee 3.0
Week 5: Arizona State @ USC 1.0 / Washington @ UCLA .95 v. Alabama @ Arkansas 3.2
Week 6: Oregon State @ Stanford .6 v. Texas A&M @ Alabama 3.9
Week 7: San Jose State @ Fresno State (no rating) v. Alabama @ Tennessee 6.1
Week 8: Washington @ Cal 0.8 v. Syracuse @ Clemson 2.7

Even with a relatively week 8 slate, there were eight games with a better rating than Washington and Cal. What other data do you need :lol: ?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

.29?

Ouch
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

SabinoDrifter wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:59 pm Ratings for the late window (9pm and onward) against the top rated game of the week:

Weeks 0-1: Boise State @ Oregon State 0.7 v. Notre Dame @ Ohio State 5.2
Week 2: Baylor @ BYU 1.3 v. Alabama @ Texas 5.7 (Arizona-Miss State drew a paltry .29)
Week 3: Miami @ Texas A&M 1.9 v. Penn State @ Auburn 2.3
Week 4: Utah @ Arizona State 0.7 v. Florida @ Tennessee 3.0
Week 5: Arizona State @ USC 1.0 / Washington @ UCLA .95 v. Alabama @ Arkansas 3.2
Week 6: Oregon State @ Stanford .6 v. Texas A&M @ Alabama 3.9
Week 7: San Jose State @ Fresno State (no rating) v. Alabama @ Tennessee 6.1
Week 8: Washington @ Cal 0.8 v. Syracuse @ Clemson 2.7

Even with a relatively week 8 slate, there were eight games with a better rating than Washington and Cal. What other data do you need :lol: ?
So the 4th timeslot isn't as valuable to the networks as others. Nobody is arguing otherwise. Yes, there were 8 other games with higher viewership than UW at CAL, but compare ESPN's rating with all other content during this timeslot. Did any other network draw over 1 million viewers? Doesn't matter Syracuse @ Clem drew over 3X. The two games weren't competing for eyeballs at the same time.

What this shows above is the value the PAC has in the late timeslot. 9 weeks and 5 times, the 4th timeslot featured at least one PAC-12 team. 4 times, it was a PAC-12 conference game. The one week (7) that didn't have any nationally televised 4th window games, the highest 4th window game didn't even have enough viewers to get a rating! By the way, week 7 did have USC @ Utah, which started 8:00 PM Eastern, and garnered a 1.5 rating.

If I'm a TV executive, what this shows me is the PAC has more 4th window value than any other conference. The 4th window is not as good as the 2nd or 3rd, or even possibly the 1st, which is the noon eastern slot. But that doesn't mean there is no value at all in the 4th window. And if a TV network wants 1 million or more viewers on a fall Sat night, best bet is show a PAC game. Otherwise, it's likely half that at best.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

These things I seem confident in:

1) easier access to the CFP is a good thing
2) going to streaming makes us almost invisible in the college sports landscape
3) Fox and ESPN drive college sports and they won’t be talking about us or the PAC
4) Fox and ESPN both seem to know their is sub par value for our content
5) Fox and ESPN would like to see the PAC fold or merge
6) Streaming is the future but it’s not now
7) The PAC is on life support, regardless of what GK says. One more contract at most
8) The Big 12 offers far more stability
9) traveling East is tough
10) Live sporting events (late window) is always more valuable than replays

Things I am curious about:

1) where would we expand and how many
2) What would be our payout
3) Why haven’t we bolted to the Big 12
4) Are Wilner and Canzano really as stupid or blind as they seem
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

What have Wilner and Canzano been wrong about? What makes them stupid?
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

If you rank all the schools not affiliated with the SEC or B1G, you get, in no particular order, Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida State, Washington, and Oregon. If the BIG 12 is more stable today, that's because they have little or nothing of value to the top dogs. It's also the answer to why the 4-corner schools haven't bolted yet.

And I'd agree that if we sell Tier 1 rights to a streaming service, we're screwed. But if we can Tier 1 on ESPN and supplement Tier 2 and 3 with a good streaming contract, we can survive. 78% of all households have at least 1 streaming service today. And the new contract wouldn't start until 2024.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:00 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:46 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:35 am
So a trip to Waco to play a game nobody cares about is better than a trip to Seattle? Bull. And we'll get stuck in the 4th window the same amount of time as we are now if the 4-corner schools go to the BIG 12. Just because we would be in a conference with more schools in the Central time zone doesn't change two facts. We're still in the Mtn. Time Zone and always on MST. And it's really bleeping hot here in September! I'm not the ignoramus here. There's a good reason why the 4-corner PAC schools told the BIG 12 thanks for the invite, but we'll wait to see what happens.

And sorry, I love Arizona Basketball, but football is king. It brings in the money. We want to stay competitive in Basketball, we need the money to do so. Gonzaga is the only mid-major that has been consistently successful in basketball without major conference money over the last 20 years. They are the exception to the rule. The SEC in basketball used to be Kentucky and a bunch of also-rans. But then the money started flowing. SEC softball was Tenn and nobody, but then the money flowed there too. All from football. So unless you want to try and imitate Gonzaga, best we align ourselves with whatever conference gives us the most money, and what's best for football.

And football wise, the BIG 12 without TX and OU is a bigger pile of poo than the PAC without LA. And basketball-wise? It's often a cycle. Oregon State made an Elite 8 recently, and CAL once had some great teams with Jason Kidd. No guarantee, on the other hand, that say Houston will stay on top once Kelvin Sampson (age 67) hangs it up, likely in the next 5 years.
I've defaulted to TLDNR for every one of your posts now, so I'll just reply with "HAHAHAHAHAHA you're dumb and are the problem, go away" from now on.
How mature.

The only PAC fans who seem to want to move to the BIG12 are Arizona fans who care only about basketball. The other 4-corner schools wish to stay in the PAC, if possible. But I'm the dumb one? And here I thought I could have honest debate with fellow Wildcats. Maybe I am the dumb one?
Choo is right. You just don't get it and have no intention of ever seeing viewpoints other than yours.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:20 pm If you rank all the schools not affiliated with the SEC or B1G, you get, in no particular order, Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida State, Washington, and Oregon. If the BIG 12 is more stable today, that's because they have little or nothing of value to the top dogs. It's also the answer to why the 4-corner schools haven't bolted yet.

And I'd agree that if we sell Tier 1 rights to a streaming service, we're screwed. But if we can Tier 1 on ESPN and supplement Tier 2 and 3 with a good streaming contract, we can survive. 78% of all households have at least 1 streaming service today. And the new contract wouldn't start until 2024.
North Carolina is one of the most desired. Just below Norte Dame
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:19 pm What have Wilner and Canzano been wrong about? What makes them stupid?
Well it seems they think certain teams are locked into the conference and wouldn’t leave but that was only because they could not bring enough value. They basically echoed like a conference set of cheerleaders.

I think Canzano has been a little cavalier in his reporting of some of the information which has been refuted by many. Wilner has been a little more of a realist about the conference’s chance of survival.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Basketcats wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:33 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:00 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:46 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:35 am
So a trip to Waco to play a game nobody cares about is better than a trip to Seattle? Bull. And we'll get stuck in the 4th window the same amount of time as we are now if the 4-corner schools go to the BIG 12. Just because we would be in a conference with more schools in the Central time zone doesn't change two facts. We're still in the Mtn. Time Zone and always on MST. And it's really bleeping hot here in September! I'm not the ignoramus here. There's a good reason why the 4-corner PAC schools told the BIG 12 thanks for the invite, but we'll wait to see what happens.

And sorry, I love Arizona Basketball, but football is king. It brings in the money. We want to stay competitive in Basketball, we need the money to do so. Gonzaga is the only mid-major that has been consistently successful in basketball without major conference money over the last 20 years. They are the exception to the rule. The SEC in basketball used to be Kentucky and a bunch of also-rans. But then the money started flowing. SEC softball was Tenn and nobody, but then the money flowed there too. All from football. So unless you want to try and imitate Gonzaga, best we align ourselves with whatever conference gives us the most money, and what's best for football.

And football wise, the BIG 12 without TX and OU is a bigger pile of poo than the PAC without LA. And basketball-wise? It's often a cycle. Oregon State made an Elite 8 recently, and CAL once had some great teams with Jason Kidd. No guarantee, on the other hand, that say Houston will stay on top once Kelvin Sampson (age 67) hangs it up, likely in the next 5 years.
I've defaulted to TLDNR for every one of your posts now, so I'll just reply with "HAHAHAHAHAHA you're dumb and are the problem, go away" from now on.
How mature.

The only PAC fans who seem to want to move to the BIG12 are Arizona fans who care only about basketball. The other 4-corner schools wish to stay in the PAC, if possible. But I'm the dumb one? And here I thought I could have honest debate with fellow Wildcats. Maybe I am the dumb one?
Choo is right. You just don't get it and have no intention of ever seeing viewpoints other than yours.
The arguments have been less than convincing. Choo wants to leave for the BIG 12 simply for basketball reasons. Not good enough, especially when football is king. No guarantees whatever happens, but our best bet for success for all Arizona Athletics is maximizing revenues. Thinking Basketball first doesn't accomplish this. The other fear is being left out of a Power 5 conference and stuck back in the Mountain West. That just isn't happening. No ACC team can afford to leave, and the BIG 12 is all but openly courting the 4-corner PAC schools. If Oregon and UW get a call up to the B1G, that's the time to go to the Big 12. Until then, our best bet is stay in the PAC, signing a short-term deal that expires in 2029 or 2030 at the latest.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Amazon is a bandaid on a sucking chest wound.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

But what does that get us? Other than the easier path to the CFP it gives us less visibility, less revenue, less stability and the inevitable thought that we are a dead conference walking.

If we got an extra 25m for packaging the network then that short term deal makes sense but it’s no where near that worth.

If we were bringing in 4 decent Big 12 schools then maybe that would make up for the LA market lost but we are not.

Sorry man, I am trying to see your thought process but I just don’t see the logic in your direction
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:19 pm If Oregon and UW get a call up to the B1G, that's the time to go to the Big 12.
This is what I don't get. Why do you want Oregon and Washington to control our fate? Why wait until we have no choice, thereby taking any offer the Big 12 gives us? If we leave before then, we have a better chance of working out a more favorable deal.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AZCatGirl wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:35 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:19 pm If Oregon and UW get a call up to the B1G, that's the time to go to the Big 12.
This is what I don't get. Why do you want Oregon and Washington to control our fate? Why wait until we have no choice, thereby taking any offer the Big 12 gives us? If we leave before then, we have a better chance of working out a more favorable deal.
What do you think thr Big 12 will offer now they wouldn't later. UA would get a full share either way so what else?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Should I wait for the company to fail to lose my job or should I take that new position that actually makes a little more and offers more stability
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

ACC schools won't negotiate for another decade, and are locked into their current contract until 2035. Zero danger any ACC takes our BIG 12 spot. Oregon, Washington, and Notre Dame want zero part of the BIG 12. Should the BIG 12 expand before 2030, the 4 corner PAC schools are by far their best option. We risk nothing by staying short term.

Meanwhile, I firmly believe any PAC 10 plus is better than the BIG 12, as long as UW and UO remain in the PAC. They go, all bets are off, and we go BIG 12. They stay, so should we.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:37 pm Should I wait for the company to fail to lose my job or should I take that new position that actually makes a little more and offers more stability
The 4 corner PAC Presidents feel as I do. The PAC with UW and UO > BIG 12. The PAC is on life support, but not dead yet. And we'll likely get a 5 year contract signed in the next few weeks. When that runs out, if the PAC dies then, the BIG 12 will still be knocking on our door.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

All Pac10 teams outside of Oregon will be completely irrelevant in 5 years.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:57 am
GlobalCat wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:48 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:32 am
GlobalCat wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:12 am
AZCatGirl wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:38 pm

The reality is that Gonzaga and SDSU, the only two semi decent choices, will never be allowed to join, and that our games are about to be stuck on Amazon hell where even LESS people will see them than now.

If that's not enough to make you want to jump from this sinking ship, I don't know what will.

If pac10 games are on Amazon, that’s a massive win.
A massive win for who?
Me. Cord cutters and folks that live outside of the west coast haven’t had the option to watch games for years. Streaming solves that.
So you don't have ESPN or FOX then is what you're telling us?

Yup. And even if I did, there is no guarantee all games would be prioritized for broadcast.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Both ESPN & Fox Sports have streaming options. So I’m failing to see how Amazon would be a “massive win”. Seems like at best it’s a lateral move for diehards, a step back for casual viewers who like to watch what they find being broadcast, and a win for the very very few people who somehow have no access to ESPN/Fox Sports.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:57 am Both ESPN & Fox Sports have streaming options. So I’m failing to see how Amazon would be a “massive win”. Seems like at best it’s a lateral move for diehards, a step back for casual viewers who like to watch what they find being broadcast, and a win for the very very few people who somehow have no access to ESPN/Fox Sports.
I guess it's a massive win for Amazon if it happens. They are the only one that benefits from it. They force everyone who is an Arizona fan to now purchase an Amazon Prime sub for $15 a month. Even if the PAC were to do a split deal with Amazon and ESPN or FOX, the chances of seeing Arizona broadcast for no additional cost just got extremely small. ESPN would more than likely put a game on ESPN+ before it put it on the cable platform because they are going to want to maximize their revenue. So, you would either have to have a Hulu and ESPN+ sub or a straight up ESPN+ sub. But hey...the PAC has a POS studio in the bay area. WooHoo!!!! SMH :roll:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I have a friend who is an insomniac living on the east coast who randomly became a Oregon State basketball fan because he’d catch their games on PAC-12 network while flipping channels when he can’t sleep.

Now I’m not saying that there will be a massive wave of new PAC fans if we stay on Fox or ESPN, but I will say that for more than a few people, out of sight is out of mind. You think East Coast bias exists now? Just wait until NO ONE will see our games unless they purposefully tune in through a streaming service.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Huh? Steaming opens up significantly more viewing options. I would have loved to have the options when I lived on the east coast to catch more games.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

GlobalCat wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:14 am Huh? Steaming opens up significantly more viewing options. I would have loved to have the options when I lived on the east coast to catch more games.
Like I said before, yes it would be a win for those few people like yourself who somehow don’t have access to ESPN or Fox Sports but are already fans. And I’m very happy for you. But that’s a very narrow way to perceive this as a “win”, especially when it will hurt branding and perception amongst casual fans who may have tuned in just because a game was being broadcast but won’t intentionally stream it because they have no rooting interest.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Basketcats wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:16 pm
CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:57 am Both ESPN & Fox Sports have streaming options. So I’m failing to see how Amazon would be a “massive win”. Seems like at best it’s a lateral move for diehards, a step back for casual viewers who like to watch what they find being broadcast, and a win for the very very few people who somehow have no access to ESPN/Fox Sports.
I guess it's a massive win for Amazon if it happens. They are the only one that benefits from it. They force everyone who is an Arizona fan to now purchase an Amazon Prime sub for $15 a month. Even if the PAC were to do a split deal with Amazon and ESPN or FOX, the chances of seeing Arizona broadcast for no additional cost just got extremely small. ESPN would more than likely put a game on ESPN+ before it put it on the cable platform because they are going to want to maximize their revenue. So, you would either have to have a Hulu and ESPN+ sub or a straight up ESPN+ sub. But hey...the PAC has a POS studio in the bay area. WooHoo!!!! SMH :roll:
I’m not even sure how it benefits Amazon. How many more Prime memberships are they truly going to sell to the conference with the least passionate and most apathetic fanbases? I guess it’ll be practice or proof of concept for the bigger conferences they truly covet when their next TV deals are up for negotiations? Honestly outside of that I can’t imagine what Amazon benefits here? Maybe some new TV equipment if they purchase the PAC 12 Networks as rumored?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:39 pm I have a friend who is an insomniac living on the east coast who randomly became a Oregon State basketball fan because he’d catch their games on PAC-12 network while flipping channels when he can’t sleep.

Now I’m not saying that there will be a massive wave of new PAC fans if we stay on Fox or ESPN, but I will say that for more than a few people, out of sight is out of mind. You think East Coast bias exists now? Just wait until NO ONE will see our games unless they purposefully tune in through a streaming service.
Yup, it’s bad enough as is now. Put us on a streamer that nobody utilizes for sports outside of one game per week on Thursdays (if they’re interested in that) and woooo. I’m glad some of you will be happy though. That’s all that matters…
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:12 pm All Pac10 teams outside of Oregon will be completely irrelevant in 5 years.
Yup.

Our only hope is for ESPN to air the majority of our basketball games at this point, although most will be on ESPN2 during sleepy time on the east coast.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Partnering with Amazon is a risk, for sure. But Amazon benefits, assuming they take over PAC-12 Network capabilities, by acquiring a full sports studio, equipment, and experts. Amazon also gets a ton of live sports content. Not only can Amazon packet this along with Thursday night to sell to DirecTv Business, but it makes Amazon a third player along with Fox and ESPN for future negotiations. Maybe the market is soda, and ESPN/Fox will be Coke/Pepsi, and Amazon will never be more than RC Cola? But maybe there is room for a third, large player in the space?

The risk to the PAC is also minimal, assuming we can get a decent chunk from Amazon. It's not like our games are getting a ton of viewers. Plus, the conference is on life support, and will disappear if UW and OU get a call from the B1G. But if the gamble pays off for the PAC and Amazon, we both can win.

A conference like the SEC or B1G gambling on Amazon would be crazy. Too much to lose. What does the PAC have to lose by taking the gamble?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No idea who this guy is and if he has any real sources, but this makes sense.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

On the team basis no one will be hurt by streaming on Apple or Amazon. Individual awards will be tougher but that’s it. It is all about Revenue
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:03 am No idea who this guy is and if he has any real sources, but this makes sense.
He is so full of shit. This is literally the worst source you could have Merkin
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:04 am On the team basis no one will be hurt by streaming on Apple or Amazon. Individual awards will be tougher but that’s it. It is all about Revenue
You do understand that being put on a streaming island it’ll affect recruiting, right? Hell there’s a reason the SEC is now dominant in college baseball and have moved up the ladder in softball. They’re actually on television, while the other conferences are not.

Stick us on streaming and it’ll affect every thing you care about. If you sell your soul for money you will suffer the repercussions.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:14 am
PHXCATS wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:04 am On the team basis no one will be hurt by streaming on Apple or Amazon. Individual awards will be tougher but that’s it. It is all about Revenue
You do understand that being put on a streaming island it’ll affect recruiting, right? Hell there’s a reason the SEC is now dominant in college baseball and have moved up the ladder in softball. They’re actually on television, while the other conferences are not.

Stick us on streaming and it’ll affect every thing you care about. If you sell your soul for money you will suffer the repercussions.
It will have an immaterial effect on recruiting if some of the PAC-12 network games currently go to Amazon or Apple. May even improve actually

No one is advocating for all or even half the games on streaming
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:19 am

It will have an immaterial effect on recruiting if some of the PAC-12 network games currently go to Amazon or Apple. May even improve actually

That’s a blatant fallacy, but ok. You believe what you want to believe bud.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:37 am

Okay what exactly is off?

Amazon or Apple would have far more reach than the PAC-12 network does currently

Also I have not seen anyone online or here wanting Amazon to have exclusive rights to every PAC-12 broadcast

So what is wrong here?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:43 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:37 am

Okay what exactly is off?

Amazon or Apple would have far more reach than the PAC-12 network does currently

Also I have not seen anyone online or here wanting Amazon to have exclusive rights to every PAC-12 broadcast

So what is wrong here?
Amazon is better for our Tier 3 games than PAC 12 Network, that is true. Amazon is worse for our Tier 2 games than any traditional Avenue people would normally use to watch sports such as ESPN2, ESPNU, FS1. People are not going to tune into PAC 12 games on Amazon unless they are current fans and in case you forgot our fans are the least passionate and most apathetic. The games will not be played in bars outside of the conference footprint as well. That limits your brands and any form of growth. This is business sense 101. People use Amazon one day a week for the most requested and valued live property in the country with the NFL. Outside of that nobody utilizes Amazon for sports. The PAC 12 will not change that for the majority of this country. The ratings already indicate as much.

Amazon is not a good deal for the PAC 12 and I don’t even see how the PAC 12 is a good deal for Amazon.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Besides this fuck face who is a huge lying sack of shit who Merkin posted is there anyone else advocating or suggesting that the Amazon deal would for sure be the Tier 2 games?

I really want streaming for the conference for Tier 3. I would not be okay with it for Tier 1 and 2