Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:00 am Besides this fuck face who is a huge lying sack of shit who Merkin posted is there anyone else advocating or suggesting that the Amazon deal would for sure be the Tier 2 games?

I really want streaming for the conference for Tier 3. I would not be okay with it for Tier 1 and 2
Yes, Andrew Marchand. Also in what world would Amazon have interest solely in our Tier 3? If they are going to sign a deal with us it’d have to be beneficial to Amazon. They don’t run a charity.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Did he say what he thought the total package would be? He said 400m for the Big 12 but he didn’t give a number for the PAC?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:46 pm Did he say what he thought the total package would be? He said 400m for the Big 12 but he didn’t give a number for the PAC?
They said 400m (combined) was the ask by BIG12 from ESPN & Fox. They said, realistically, it is gonna be 350-360m combined (135m from ESPN 125m from Fox).

As for PAC...They said the ask by PAC was 500m. They said, realistically, the money was going to be similar to the BIG12 numbers if not slightly less from an ESPN/Amazon split. They are not big on the Amazon streaming idea though.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Unless his plan is to add the best schools in the ACC and BigXII, good luck with that George.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Big 12 deal is done. 31.6 Million per school per year
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:48 am Big 12 deal is done. 31.6 Million per school per year
Just for Tier 1 and 2 for that total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:23 am
PHXCATS wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:48 am Big 12 deal is done. 31.6 Million per school per year
Just for Tier 1 and 2 for that total.
Add the CFP money and NCAA tournament money and it'll come out to roughly $50 million per year. CFP money should be similar regardless what conference we're in, but they will make considerably more NCAA tournament money in the Big 12 than the Pac-whatever could remotely dream of.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The PAC deal will likely be very close per school, money wise. Not enough difference to make one school jump one way or the other in my opinion. Now, if the BIG 12 can guarantee competent referees, that's a different story.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So how do they go from 31.6 to 55m? No way tier 3 brings in that much.

After last nights officiating, I can’t wait to get the hell out of this two bit conference
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:45 am So how do they go from 31.6 to 55m? No way tier 3 brings in that much.

After last nights officiating, I can’t wait to get the hell out of this two but conference
NCAA tournament and CFP payouts.

The CFP payouts are likely a wash between Big12/Pac12, but the NCAA tournament payouts....woooooo it won't even be close.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I really want Arizona out of the PAC-12.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:00 am Besides this fuck face who is a huge lying sack of shit who Merkin posted is there anyone else advocating or suggesting that the Amazon deal would for sure be the Tier 2 games?

I really want streaming for the conference for Tier 3. I would not be okay with it for Tier 1 and 2

From a viewership perspective, I’m fine with it. Somewhere between 60-65% of American households have Amazon prime today. ESPN is in 62% of households. The major difference is ESPN is lost 7 million households YoY while Prime's household penetration is still growing.

Go to where the hockey puck is heading…

Amazon is investing heavily in their Ads business and need additional sports channels beyond the NFL. Streaming = accessibility, not BS single game options available on televised services.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

GlobalCat wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:20 pm

From a viewership perspective, I’m fine with it. Somewhere between 60-65% of American households have Amazon prime today. ESPN is in 62% of households. The major difference is ESPN is lost 7 million households YoY while Prime's household penetration is still growing.

Amazon is investing heavily in their Ads business and need additional sports channels beyond the NFL. Streaming = accessibility, not BS single game options available on televised services.
That number is disingenuous. There's that many Amazon Prime members, but that is not how many people actually use Amazon Prime Video let alone how many use Prime to watch sports, which is what we're talking about. Also ESPN is losing non-sports fans, they're not losing sports fans. ESPN is losing cable subscribers that don't want to pay for ESPN, because they don't watch sports. What good are more Amazon Prime members if they're not going to watch the games Global? It's a dog shit comparison. Most of those Amazon Prime members are Prime members for free 2 day shipping and getting Prime Day type deals. They're not signed up for sports.

Literal Apples to oranges comparison.

The hockey puck is not heading to Amazon for sports, that's just such a false take it's almost laughable.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:30 pm

That number is disingenuous. There's that many Amazon Prime members, but that is not how many people actually use Amazon Prime Video let alone how many use Prime to watch sports, which is what we're talking about. Also ESPN is losing non-sports fans, they're not losing sports fans. ESPN is losing cable subscribers that don't want to pay for ESPN, because they don't watch sports. What good are more Amazon Prime members if they're not going to watch the games Global? It's a dog shit comparison. Most of those Amazon Prime members are Prime members for free 2 day shipping and getting Prime Day type deals. They're not signed up for sports.

The hockey puck is not heading to Amazon for sports, that's just such a false take it's almost laughable.

Right, and all cable subscribers are espn viewers?
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

All things equal (including payouts), I’m on #teamstreaming.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Canzano on the BIG 12 deal. Worth 31.8 million a year per school. Thinks the PAC deal will be between $32 and $34 million. https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-b ... -to-finish

And just about 50% of cable subscribers watch sports. And more watch pro sports over college.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

GlobalCat wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:34 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:30 pm

Right, and all cable subscribers are espn viewers?
No, but all ESPN viewers are ESPN viewers and they all watch sports.

You're confusing actual viewership for subscribers. They are completely different things.

Traditional cable is losing subscribers, because people didn't want to pay for things they don't use, like non-sports viewers paying for ESPN. That's why Netflix and Hulu memberships have spiked and cable has dropped. Amazon Prime does have Prime Video users of course, but most of them are subscribed to watch The Boys or the Lord of the Rings or stuff like that. Some have signed up for TNF of course as well, but NFL =/= all sports fans. Guess what ESPN subscribers are no matter what? Sports fans.

Sports viewership still revolves primarily around ESPN/FOX/ABC/CBS/NBC/Turner. Of course there is some streaming elements as well for sports, but those are for lesser in demand games, sports leagues, or gimmick events like the London NFL game this morning. The hockey puck is not moving to streaming or sports consumption, it's just not. That's an absolute asinine argument that isn't supported by a single fact.

Now if you're ok with the Pac-12 being lesser in demand or a gimmick event, then rock and roll, Amazon is perfect. If that's your aspirations for Arizona sports though then you have very low expectations.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

GlobalCat wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:37 pm All things equal (including payouts), I’m on #teamstreaming.
You might as well say you're on #teamirrelevantArizonaSports
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I would love to get it on Amazon but I realize that not might be in the best interest for Arizona
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wasn’t it stated the PAC Presidents are meeting tomorrow? Only one reason they would meet right? They need the numbers. Sounds like it is pugg to up or shut up time
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:30 pm Amazon Prime members are Prime members for free 2 day shipping and getting Prime Day type deals.
Haven't had free 2 day shipping since before the pandemic!

But your point is understood.

Watch a lot of Amazon Prime TV, but don't recall watching a single sporting event. Although my sports viewing is confined to UA basketball and football, and would watch it on Amazon.

I pay for Sling TV during the NCAA basketball and football season, and have no interest in Sling outside of UA sports.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:48 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:30 pm Amazon Prime members are Prime members for free 2 day shipping and getting Prime Day type deals.

Watch a lot of Amazon Prime TV, but don't recall watching a single sporting event. Although my sports viewing is confined to UA basketball and football, and would watch it on Amazon.

I pay for Sling TV during the NCAA basketball and football season, and have no interest in Sling outside of UA sports.
Amazon Prime 2-day shipping has worked for me consistently throughout pandemic.

The Prime NFL has had excellent production values (for some awful NFL games). I think Amazon sees a future in sports broadcast, and getting a foot in college sports would merit some serious investment.

IMNSHO, the future of all TV is streaming!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:58 pm IMNSHO, the future of all TV is streaming!!!
Same. My dad has cable, but his 6 kids, and their adult kids, don't know of anyone in my family who has cable or satellite.

I and they just stream everything. Outside of the local news I watch over the air.

Just like POTS (plain old telephone systems), only a few of us have home phones, but get it through the internet or cell providers not the TelCo.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I just picked up Fubo.TV for $90/month. Yes, I will be able to watch all the UA basketball games, but I don't much that much interest in watching anything else. If games are on Amazon Prime I would rather watch the games there. It sure is a lot less expensive.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The future certainly looks like it will be streaming. Major League Soccer signed with Apple (https://www.sportspromedia.com/analysis ... explainer/) Major League Baseball has deals with both Apple and Peacock (https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/ ... -deal.html) And the NFL will sign Sunday Ticket with likely either Amazon or Apple.

If first tier rights for the PAC is still on ESPN, we're giving Amazon games that are currently airing on FS1, ESPNU, and the PAC12 Network. Hard to think viewership numbers with Amazon would be significantly lower. And, if Amazon can work a deal with DirecTv Business, then all our games will be on sports bars across the nation.

I agree our 1st tier rights shouldn't be on a streaming service. But we aren't risking much by putting our 2nd and 3rd tier games on a service. And maybe we luck out by being the first conference to stream, which turns out to be very lucrative?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We need to move and the sooner the better. This conference sucks and makes poor decisions, one after the other.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ultimately the main issue with airing games on Amazon is the casual sports fan. Every one that posts on this site will be more than happy with Amazon as a partner, because it's easy access for us. We can watch an Arizona game with zero issues and love it. We're not the casual sports fan though, we're the diehard Arizona fan. Arizona could sign a deal to air their games solely on the radio and we would find a way to listen to it. We shouldn't be the target audience. You don't grow your brand or stay nationally relevant by only appealing to a small market group. The casual sports fan isn't going to turn off ESPN/ESPN2/FOX/FS1/CBS/NBC or any major cable network and go to their Prime Video app to search for sports, especially when there's only one conference's sports available on it. It's not going to happen. The main reason it's not going to happen is that Pac-12 sports just isn't a major draw nationally and if you remove the two LA schools you remove two very recognizable name brands and remove numerous compelling matchups in both football and especially basketball. The NFL works on Prime for TNF because 1. It's the NFL and 2. There's no other major sport on on Thursdays. If Amazon is airing football games on Saturdays and basketball games on Thursdays/Saturdays they won't get anybody to watch those games that aren't already fans and there's not enough compelling matchups within the conference to force anybody's hand to do so.

So in essence you're limiting any and all potential growth opportunities and putting your product on an island, which makes you a complete afterthought. So yes, Amazon is just fine and dandy for us Arizona fans here, but if you have any concerns, any at all, about recruiting or growth opportunities to get Arizona into a bigger and better conference, well.....the Pac-12 on Amazon is a death trap. Unequivocally without question it is a death trap. The fact that the Pac-12 has to turn to Amazon to even get even money with the Big 12 should be the reddest of red flags you have ever seen in your life.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:58 pm

The Prime NFL has had excellent production values (for some awful NFL games). I think Amazon sees a future in sports broadcast, and getting a foot in college sports would merit some serious investment.

Prime pays NBC to handle the production of their TNF product. They would not be using NBC to produce Pac-12 games. They would be using the Pac-12 Network infrastructure to do that. They would not be the same and obviously would be much worse than the TNF product.

Streaming is the future, you're not wrong, but today and for the duration of what would be the Pac-12 contract, streaming is an on demand type deal. Pac-12 sports does not have a high demand. That's the problem and that's why Amazon would be an awful partner for the Pac-12.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:41 pm The future certainly looks like it will be streaming. Major League Soccer signed with Apple (https://www.sportspromedia.com/analysis ... explainer/) Major League Baseball has deals with both Apple and Peacock (https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/ ... -deal.html) And the NFL will sign Sunday Ticket with likely either Amazon or Apple.

If first tier rights for the PAC is still on ESPN, we're giving Amazon games that are currently airing on FS1, ESPNU, and the PAC12 Network. Hard to think viewership numbers with Amazon would be significantly lower. And, if Amazon can work a deal with DirecTv Business, then all our games will be on sports bars across the nation.

I agree our 1st tier rights shouldn't be on a streaming service. But we aren't risking much by putting our 2nd and 3rd tier games on a service. And maybe we luck out by being the first conference to stream, which turns out to be very lucrative?
Okay, I'll play your little game here. Streaming is the future. So be it. Here is my question now that I have caved to your belief. Why even bother giving Amazon a sniff at any tier? There are other, more established streaming platforms, that can reach (and probably already do reach) the majority of sports streaming subscribers. For example...

I stream all my television. I use Hulu. Hulu + local channels includes the following sports channels:

ACCN
BTN
CBS Sports Network
ESPN
ESPN +
ESPN College Extra (multiple viewing selections when lower tiered games are available)
ESPN 2
ESPNNEWS
ESPNU
FS1
FS2
NBC Golf
NFL Network
SEC Network

So, again, why the hell go with a streaming services that haven't established themselves yet?

My point is, the XII has already worked out a deal that is going to pay their members more than what ESPN/Amazon is going to shell out to keep the PAC intact. This crap about providing late night content for broadcasters doesn't wash either. Any team in the PAC right now could easily defect to XII (if they'd take them) and ESPN would be more than happy to broadcast them in the late night slot.

Why don't you wake up and face the fact that not courting ESPN fully is a death sentence for all schools that remain in the PAC? The PAC is dead. End of story. Teams not announcing their defection from it after this season are going to be begging for a chance to get into one of the other P5 (soon to be P4) conferences and the door is going to be closed for a long time.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Basketcats wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:01 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:41 pm The future certainly looks like it will be streaming. Major League Soccer signed with Apple (https://www.sportspromedia.com/analysis ... explainer/) Major League Baseball has deals with both Apple and Peacock (https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/ ... -deal.html) And the NFL will sign Sunday Ticket with likely either Amazon or Apple.

Okay, I'll play your little game here. Streaming is the future. So be it. Here is my question now that I have caved to your belief. Why even bother giving Amazon a sniff at any tier? There are other, more established streaming platforms, that can reach (and probably already do reach) the majority of sports streaming subscribers. For example...

I stream all my television. I use Hulu. Hulu + local channels includes the following sports channels:

ACCN
BTN
CBS Sports Network
ESPN
ESPN +
ESPN College Extra (multiple viewing selections when lower tiered games are available)
ESPN 2
ESPNNEWS
ESPNU
FS1
FS2
NBC Golf
NFL Network
SEC Network

So, again, why the hell go with a streaming services that haven't established themselves yet?

My point is, the XII has already worked out a deal that is going to pay their members more than what ESPN/Amazon is going to shell out to keep the PAC intact. This crap about providing late night content for broadcasters doesn't wash either. Any team in the PAC right now could easily defect to XII (if they'd take them) and ESPN would be more than happy to broadcast them in the late night slot.

Why don't you wake up and face the fact that not courting ESPN fully is a death sentence for all schools that remain in the PAC? The PAC is dead. End of story. Teams not announcing their defection from it after this season are going to be begging for a chance to get into one of the other P5 (soon to be P4) conferences and the door is going to be closed for a long time.
To be fair Hulu isn't a network, they are a one stop shop for a bunch of networks, but that fact alone makes your point. It's seemless and effortless for you to switch from ESPN to ESPN2 to NFL Network to any fucking TV channel you want. That's the point of a cable bundle (in Hulu's case a streaming bundle). You don't have to switch the Hulu app to find that next channel or next game, there's little to no hassle, and even grandpa's understand that because it's similar to the cable. It's streaming, but it's a one stop shop for sports networks. Amazon would not be that. If you're watching LSU vs Bama on ESPN and you want to switch to whatever Pac-12 game is on Amazon, you're going to have to get out of Hulu altogether and then open up your Prime Video app. It's not a seamless transition and you can't just click a button and swap channels. God forbid you want to switch between the Pac-12 game and that LSU/Bama game on two different apps. So basically absolutely fucking nobody will be doing that. The situation will be even worse for people on traditional cable and trying to switch to Amazon Prime...good lord. The only people that will be tuning into the Pac-12 game on Amazon will be the particular Pac-12 fan that wants to watch their team play and won't be channel surfing for other games that are going on. Talk about absolutely killing your viewership numbers, especially since the Pac-12 has the most apathetic fanbases amongst the major conferences. The Pac-12 is not in high demand via the casual fan and will be in even lesser demand without the LA schools. Putting those games on Amazon is just a death trap. You're selling your soul for money and costing yourself future money in the process. Absolute death trap.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Choo is doing a lot of truth telling. I can only hope that those in charge of making these decisions are getting this same perspective and not just looking to hit a certain revenue number.

Amazon would be such a silo that PAC teams will be completely forgotten by those who aren’t already fans of those teams. Pac10 programs will be chronically under-ranked and ignored by the mainstream sports media and casual fans will not give a shit.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:00 am

Prime pays NBC to handle the production of their TNF product. They would not be using NBC to produce Pac-12 games. They would be using the Pac-12 Network infrastructure to do that. They would not be the same and obviously would be much worse than the TNF product.

Streaming is the future, you're not wrong, but today and for the duration of what would be the Pac-12 contract, streaming is an on demand type deal. Pac-12 sports does not have a high demand. That's the problem and that's why Amazon would be an awful partner for the Pac-12.
Thanks for the informative comments.

However, I thought that Amazon could/would use this type of contract for their "FreeVee" component, which is available to the public. If so, that would improve Pac visibility. But, I'm definitely an outsider looking in, not as connected as you...

Thanks again!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I read somewhere that Amazon obviously wants viewers and more prime members but their primary goal of broadcasting sports is increased sales
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:52 am

However, I thought that Amazon could/would use this type of contract for their "FreeVee" component, which is available to the public. If so, that would improve Pac visibility. But, I'm definitely an outsider looking in, not as connected as you...

Thanks again!
People actually use "FreeVee?" Is that something you can get on anything that isn't an Amazon Fire Stick? If that's Amazon's plan then it's even worse than I imagined.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:57 am

Thanks again!
People actually use "FreeVee?" Is that something you can get on anything that isn't an Amazon Fire Stick? If that's Amazon's plan then it's even worse than I imagined.
Here's what I could find:
Amazon Freevee is a free, ad-supported video streaming service available in the United States and U.S Territories.

You can access the Amazon Freevee app on the following devices:

Fire TV
Roku
Xbox One
Xbox Series X/S consoles
PlayStation 4
PlayStation 5
LG smart TVs (models released from 2018-onwards)
Samsung smart TVs (models released from 2017-2021)
Comcast Xfinity X-Class and Flex boxes
Android TV devices
Google TV
Fire tablet
Android mobile devices
Apple TV (4th & 5th Generation)
iOS devices (such as iPhones and iPads)

You can also stream Amazon Freevee titles from your web browser and through the Amazon Freevee Channel on the Prime Video app.
Looks like a lot of availability, but would still fail the "switchable" issue you identified on an app like HULU....

― Kinky Friedman
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I have FreeVee on my LG tv. I think I have used it once or twice to watch Bosch. It's mostly older shows and movies
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

84Cat wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:04 am I have FreeVee on my LG tv. I think I have used it once or twice to watch Bosch. It's mostly older shows and movies
The Pac-12 would be killing it with the MacGyver viewer demographic at least.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Never seen FreeVee, but if it's anything like Pluto TV or IMDB TV it will be a hard pass with all those commercials.

I have an LG TV too, and never watch any of the free channels.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

All PAC-12 games are on traditional TV channels now. How much brand equity are we gaining from our ESPN/FOX contract? Very little to none. The casual fan? Heck, he can't even watch a game like USC vs Arizona if he doesn't have Sling or Dish because he doesn't have PAC-12 Network. Neither does his local sports watering hole. Want the get the casual fan? Then we need to get our games on in every sports bar. Last week's game against USC would have garnered casual viewers because it was against a ranked team and it was close throughout.

Not having PAC-12 Network games on sports bars is hurting with the casual fan a lot more than not having it at home. There were likely a lot of fans at sports bars 7:00 PM Eastern across the nation that couldn't watch our games. And it would have been on. Especially if alumni associations in major cities did get-togethers to watch the game. Having our homecoming game on a BWW in Chicago or Atlanta, with 15 or so alumni all watching together does more for the casual fan than another game on at home that a person might flip to.

As for which streaming service? The answer is, the one that pays the most. The technology for streaming is already advancing, and I currently use Cox Contour streaming app. All the streaming apps are run through Cox, and switching between apps is very easy. I'd imagine switching between apps to stream live content like you are switching channels is an advancement that's already being worked on.

In the end, going to a streaming service isn't going to lose us much brand equity. Very few casual fans watch us at home now, and our games are being promoted along side every other game, because our games are on the exact same channels they are on. Assuming Amazon can work a deal with DirecTv business like Amazon did for TNF, and we the PAC-12 gets all games on sports bars, that's a win. Having Amazon promote PAC-12 games all week to every Amazon subscriber won't hurt either. And again, it's not like we're giving up a ton.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:57 am

Thanks again!
FreeVee used to be called IMDB TV and it is an app available from the Amazon app store.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:09 am Never seen FreeVee, but if it's anything like Pluto TV or IMDB TV it will be a hard pass with all those commercials.

I have an LG TV too, and never watch any of the free channels.
I understand that sentiment....

However, Amazon moved the new, follow-up Bosch series (Bosch Legacy) to FreeVee, and I had to follow - I watch so few shows with any ads anymore (except sports), it was a drag on my enjoymeent.

But, I fear ad-supported streaming is also a part of the future business model!! :cry:

plus ça change plus la meme chose!!!!

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:16 am All PAC-12 games are on traditional TV channels now. How much brand equity are we gaining from our ESPN/FOX contract?
Thanks for making my point that staying in the Pac-12 with the late night windows for basketball/football are bad for Arizona. Staying in the Pac-12 with the late night windows and Amazon is worse. I'm glad you see things my way.

Welcome to the "join the Big 12" train little buddy. I knew you would get there.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:29 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:16 am All PAC-12 games are on traditional TV channels now. How much brand equity are we gaining from our ESPN/FOX contract?
Thanks for making my point that staying in the Pac-12 with the late night windows for basketball/football are bad for Arizona. Staying in the Pac-12 with the late night windows and Amazon is worse. I'm glad you see things my way.

Welcome to the "join the Big 12" train little buddy. I knew you would get there.
QFT
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

So, the late night window with the BIG 12 is significantly better? And games in Lubbock and Stillwater are more fun to travel to than Seattle and San Francisco?

ESPN doesn't care if the late night window games are flown under a PAC banner or BIG 12 banner. Regardless, we're still playing in them. And the PAC band of misfits > BIG 12 band of misfits as it stands come 2025. Assuming we get more money staying in the PAC with Amazon, having them promote the crap out of our games might actually give us a brand lift in the PAC as well. We certainly aren't getting any now with ESPN and FOX.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:44 am

So, the late night window with the BIG 12 is significantly better? And games in Lubbock and Stillwater are more fun to travel to than Seattle and San Francisco?

ESPN doesn't care if the late night window games are flown under a PAC banner or BIG 12 banner. Regardless, we're still playing in them. And the PAC band of misfits > BIG 12 band of misfits as it stands come 2025. Assuming we get more money staying in the PAC with Amazon, having them promote the crap out of our games might actually give us a brand lift in the PAC as well. We certainly aren't getting any now with ESPN and FOX.
Yes, the late night window with the Big 12 is better, because we wouldn't be stuck solely on the late night window. We'd have games in that late night, but you go from literally every game at bedtime EST, to only a handful, I'd call that a stark improvement wouldn't you? I'll ignore your last paragraph since I literally cover it in two sentences.

My god the travel. How many Arizona fans in this economy are fucking traveling to Seattle and San Francisco to see Arizona play now? Seriously. Why is this an argument? It's not. Stop acting like it is one.

The Big 12, its geography, and its TV contract with time windows is a better situation for Arizona in every single way than the Pac-12. The one argument you have is California recruiting will suffer. That's the one downside of a Big 12 move. Every else is a red herring.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Big 12 BIG 12 Big 12 Big 12 Big 12. Get us out of this joke of a conference
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:44 am games in Lubbock and Stillwater are more fun to travel to than Seattle and San Francisco?
How about games in Pullman and Corvallis?

Not sure the Cat players ever set foot in San Francisco. SFO is in San Mateo county and don't need to go through the city to get to Berkeley or Palo Alto.