Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by dmjcat »

Robbins/Heeke need to be thinking & acting proactively for the UA's best interests.

The danger to the UA is growing by the minute. At this point its looking like $20-25M/school and being buried on a streaming service is headed our way. If we wait until the final deal is announced (and it looks as bad as it appears) it will be too late. The UA will not be in the front of the line to get into the B12.....UW/UO and others will. Unfortunately, we don't know how many P12 leftovers the B12 will take so we may well end up in the MWC if we are not careful.

The schools that fare well in this type of situation are the ones that act proactively and take the bull by the horns (i.e, USC/UCLA) to protect their own interests.

If we move now we may be able to secure a spot in the realignment game of musical chairs. Waiting around may be fatal in this game.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Tik Tok here we come!!! Can't wait to watch the games in 15 second clips. Gonna be a totally interactive experience. 15 sec clip > rinse/repeat. Definitely good times ahead. Maybe we can get George Kliavkoff to host a halftime show and his co-host can be Larry Scott. That would definitely drive viewership up. SMH
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:33 pm We are a complete laughing stock.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:33 pm We are a complete laughing stock.
But we should totally stick it out in this conference because you never know. Five years of 11pm starts streaming on Twitch might not completely kill our whole athletic program.

:roll:
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:31 am Those only count linear games so no PAC channel games numbers are included. We had I think two network games, SDST and ASSU so our numbers are way down but the point of the lack of viewers in the conference/west is accurate
Yes, and the disaster of the Pac-12 network and lack of access was a major contributor to reduced viewership.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm hearing a deal is almost done between the Pac and Tik Tok.

30 seconds of every game will be broadcast
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Think about it, available over the air to near everyone!

Although not a fan of their sponsorship of LIV Golf.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here's our WV buddy...
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

B12 here we come
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

What a joke.

God, get us out of this dumpster fire of a conference.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

84Cat wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:48 pm B12 here we come
How much worse would that PAC number be without Arizona?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'm OK with that, but does the Big-12 think that arenas and stadiums are the same thing?
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Merkin wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:19 pm

I'm OK with that, but does the Big-12 think that arenas and stadiums are the same thing?
Probably because both venues are acceptable sites to host a rodeo.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

What a total shitshow. We need to GTFO of the PAC-10 NOW!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Bail to the Fishclamps channel and wait til the dust settles.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

In re UofA wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:28 pm Media markets only matter when the markets watch. Regardless of the market size, I believe the Big12 got better ratings because their fans care about football. What has SF, Seattle, Phoenix and Denver done to attract suiters? Regardless of the truck stop markets, ESPN gave them a lot more money. There was a time in the cable era when market size was important for premium charges. Now providers want compelling programing and eyeballs.
Media markets only matters in regards to conference networks. The vast majority of big brand programs are located in smaller metro areas. People want to tune into those.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:47 pm Robbins/Heeke need to be thinking & acting proactively for the UA's best interests.

The danger to the UA is growing by the minute. At this point its looking like $20-25M/school and being buried on a streaming service is headed our way. If we wait until the final deal is announced (and it looks as bad as it appears) it will be too late. The UA will not be in the front of the line to get into the B12.....UW/UO and others will. Unfortunately, we don't know how many P12 leftovers the B12 will take so we may well end up in the MWC if we are not careful.

The schools that fare well in this type of situation are the ones that act proactively and take the bull by the horns (i.e, USC/UCLA) to protect their own interests.

If we move now we may be able to secure a spot in the realignment game of musical chairs. Waiting around may be fatal in this game.
Well said.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

The PAC-12 Forever contingent both here and on social media has been weirdly quiet the last day or so.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:28 am The PAC-12 Forever contingent both here and on social media has been weirdly quiet the last day or so.
This is going to be ridiculously disappointing when this conference will survive for literally a max of 5 more years solely in the name of academic snobbery based around a deal of ESPN/Amazon for about $26-$28 million per school, which will equate to one late night football game a week on ESPN that will always have either Oregon, Washington, or Utah involved, one Friday night game on Amazon that nobody will watch, and late night only basketball on ESPN2/ESPNU that'll be basically Arizona vs *insert corpse of a basketball program here.* This set up will inevitably piss off fucking every one not named Wazzu/OSU one way or another and this whole thing is going to break up no matter wtf the B1G decides to do in regards to UW/Oregon. We just have to do it though, because we have to pretend that academics should dictate what conference you're in as if any of these schools outside of the Bay Area and maybe Seattle are Ivy League quality. We just have to destroy the notoriety of our sports programs that actually do matter in the mean time. I mean there's just no other way.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:39 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:28 am The PAC-12 Forever contingent both here and on social media has been weirdly quiet the last day or so.
This is going to be ridiculously disappointing when this conference will survive for literally a max of 5 more years solely in the name of academic snobbery based around a deal of ESPN/Amazon for about $26-$28 million per school, which will equate to one late night football game a week on ESPN that will always have either Oregon, Washington, or Utah involved, one Friday night game on Amazon that nobody will watch, and late night only basketball on ESPN2/ESPNU that'll be basically Arizona vs *insert corpse of a basketball program here.* This set up will inevitably piss off fucking every one not named Wazzu/OSU one way or another and this whole thing is going to break up no matter wtf the B1G decides to do in regards to UW/Oregon. We just have to do it though, because we have to pretend that academics should dictate what conference you're in as if any of these schools outside of the Bay Area and maybe Seattle are Ivy League quality. We just have to destroy the notoriety of our sports programs that actually do matter in the mean time. I mean there's just no other way.
This is a fucking modern day Greek tragedy. The ESPN 30-for-30 will be epic.

“What if I told you there once existed a west coast college athletic association that hilariously called itself ‘The Conference of Champions’ but then destroyed itself from within with a toxic combination of ego and stupidity…”
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It just sucks our leadership is living in such denial
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:44 am
This article should end any belief that UW and Oregon might end up in the BIG12. Why would they even give the BIG12 a sniff if they have already had discussions with the B1G, know the B1G are likely to expand west again, sooner rather than later, and UW and Oregon are 1A and 1B on the B1G's expansion list? The B1G didn't take the PAC NW schools yet because the back of the napkin math didn't work out at full price. And for whatever reason, the B1G didn't even offer UW and Oregon a discounted share. But five years from now, as the article states, the B1G will want to keep the LA schools happy.

The most likely ending in all this in of two things, and in neither, the PAC survives. And that's fine. I just want what is best for my alma mater, and I'm not convinced, at all, that going BIG12 today is that answer. One way this ends is the B1G take UW, Oregon, and likely the Bays, the PAC is gone, and then we go BIG12. The other possibility? ESPN wants a coast-to-coast conference to compete with the B1G, and forces the SEC to expand west. Maybe we get in? Maybe not? If we do, great. If not, the BIG12 will still be there for us.

The BIG12 can talk Fresno St., Boise St., and Gonzaga, but they just added four G5 schools. Really think they will dilute their brand even further by adding more? Maybe Gonzaga for basketball, but what percentage of the new BIG12 contract will go to a basketball only school? Football still drives 75% of the revenues.

I've stated before, this is likely the last PAC contract ever. Let's get as much money as possible out of it. And keep open our flexibility when, during the next round of tv talks and conference expansion, things get real interesting. Better this than tying our lot to the BIG12 long term in my opinion.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:17 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:44 am
This article should end any belief that UW and Oregon might end up in the BIG12. Why would they even give the BIG12 a sniff if they have already had discussions with the B1G, know the B1G are likely to expand west again, sooner rather than later, and UW and Oregon are 1A and 1B on the B1G's expansion list? The B1G didn't take the PAC NW schools yet because the back of the napkin math didn't work out at full price. And for whatever reason, the B1G didn't even offer UW and Oregon a discounted share. But five years from now, as the article states, the B1G will want to keep the LA schools happy.

The most likely ending in all this in of two things, and in neither, the PAC survives. And that's fine. I just want what is best for my alma mater, and I'm not convinced, at all, that going BIG12 today is that answer. One way this ends is the B1G take UW, Oregon, and likely the Bays, the PAC is gone, and then we go BIG12. The other possibility? ESPN wants a coast-to-coast conference to compete with the B1G, and forces the SEC to expand west. Maybe we get in? Maybe not? If we do, great. If not, the BIG12 will still be there for us.

The BIG12 can talk Fresno St., Boise St., and Gonzaga, but they just added four G5 schools. Really think they will dilute their brand even further by adding more? Maybe Gonzaga for basketball, but what percentage of the new BIG12 contract will go to a basketball only school? Football still drives 75% of the revenues.

I've stated before, this is likely the last PAC contract ever. Let's get as much money as possible out of it. And keep open our flexibility when, during the next round of tv talks and conference expansion, things get real interesting. Better this than tying our lot to the BIG12 long term in my opinion.
How about no.
Mike Luke's burner account.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

So Arizona shouldn’t take the opportunity to join the Big12 because in five years maybe the SEC will let will let us join?

Are you on shrooms?
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Stranger things have happened. And there were articles last summer suggesting the SEC should consider going west as their next move. Including this one. https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bama ... pansion-go
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:14 pm Stranger things have happened. And there were articles last summer suggesting the SEC should consider going west as their next move. Including this one. https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bama ... pansion-go
Even last July they knew this: Pac-12 is on life-support

Although I have never heard this about ND:

Notre Dame is obviously the top prize, and not just because it would bring the Chicago (3) market.

I just thought Catholics follow ND, and non-Catholics hated it.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

This article from Utah lays out their possibilities. They believe if Oregon and UW go to the SEC, Utah may be B1G target. If the PNW schools go B1G, then Utah is a top target for the SEC if they decide to expand west. https://kslsports.com/489144/is-the-sec-moving-west/

The last thing Utah wants is to go BIG12 now. And they certainly don't want to sign a GOR past the length of the BIG12 contract.

If the B1G takes the PNW schools and the SEC doesn't expand, the BIG12 becomes Utah's last resort.
TucsonCat

Post by TucsonCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:46 pm This article from Utah lays out their possibilities. They believe if Oregon and UW go to the SEC, Utah may be B1G target. If the PNW schools go B1G, then Utah is a top target for the SEC if they decide to expand west. https://kslsports.com/489144/is-the-sec-moving-west/

The last thing Utah wants is to go BIG12 now. And they certainly don't want to sign a GOR past the length of the BIG12 contract.

If the B1G takes the PNW schools and the SEC doesn't expand, the BIG12 becomes Utah's last resort.
That article was written in July, you moron.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

TucsonCat wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:04 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:46 pm This article from Utah lays out their possibilities. They believe if Oregon and UW go to the SEC, Utah may be B1G target. If the PNW schools go B1G, then Utah is a top target for the SEC if they decide to expand west. https://kslsports.com/489144/is-the-sec-moving-west/

That article was written in July, you moron.
No shit! I saw the date, idiot. Have you seen anything from Utah since that says anything different? No. So why would their opinion change? It wouldn't, especially since it looks more and more like the next TV round of contacts will include the next round of expansion. Think Utah would tie themselves longterm now to the BIG12?
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

:lol:
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:59 pm:lol:
Einstein (aka AzCatFan2) would rather AZ stay in the PAC12 for less money and no exposure (and sign a GOR for 5 years) than join the B12 for more money and more exposure for the same GOR period.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

dmjcat wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:58 pm
CardiacCats97 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:59 pm:lol:
Einstein (aka AzCatFan2) would rather AZ stay in the PAC12 for less money and no exposure (and sign a GOR for 5 years) than join the B12 for more money and more exposure for the same GOR period.
Wrong. We shouldn't sign a GOR with any conference past 5 years. Including the PAC or BIG12. If signing with the BIG12 includes a longer GOR, that's a deal breaker in my opinion. If the BIG12 is significantly more money, and we can get out during the next round of negotiation and expansion, then we should move. Rumor has it, the BIG12 doesn't want to be anyone's rebound conference, and if any PAC team signs with them, it will be for a longer GOR. Utah and CO certainly won't sign away their rights for that long. Neither should we.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Well if Utah or Co don't want to sign that GOR then Utah can fuck off back to the MW and Co can join them. Sec or big don't want them. And if you don't think AZ should sign a GOR with the PAC than why are we still here because then whatever deal the pac is trying to get right now isn't going to get done because of teams not wanting to sign that. You're saying stuff that contradicts itself. You're putting a puzzle together with out even putting the pieces together. You're just tossing them all willy nilly. You're also saying stuff as to conferences getting up to 20+ teams if their going to just add schools because they're in a certain region. You're not articulate or trying to cover all bases, you're just a troll.
Mike Luke's burner account.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

If this is the last Pac contract ever then wtf is the point, especially if they're going to be making less than the Big 12 with far worse exposure? There is no such thing as flexibility here. Arizona isn't getting the golden parachute invite from the B1G or the SEC. Those are the only two options you'd want to keep yourself flexible for and they're not going to come calling. Your entire argument is based on fantasy. Absolute fucking hubris and fantasy on your part.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:32 am

If this is the last Pac contract ever then wtf is the point, especially if they're going to be making less than the Big 12 with far worse exposure? There is no such thing as flexibility here. Arizona isn't getting the golden parachute invite from the B1G or the SEC. Those are the only two options you'd want to keep yourself flexible for and they're not going to come calling. Your entire argument is based on fantasy. Absolute fucking hubris and fantasy on your part.
I don't know the future. Neither do you. I know that if we sign a GOR with the BIG12 for greater than 5 years, we know the BIG12 is our only option until that GOR expires. Sign with the PAC one last time, and we leave open many options in the future, including signing with the BIG12. Why close all doors prematurely? Fear the BIG12 door will close on us?

Sorry, but that's a fucking fantasy based on stupid fear. Washington and Oregon aren't taking our BIG12 spots. Neither is Fresno or Boise.

As this article states, many see the NCAA heading to two super conferences, one backed by ESPN, the v other, FOX (https://deadspin.com/predicting-the-fut ... 1849136024) Until we're told on no uncertain terms we're not a part of this, we shouldn't excuse ourselves from the possibility, however remote.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:18 am

I don't know the future. Neither do you. I know that if we sign a GOR with the BIG12 for greater than 5 years, we know the BIG12 is our only option until that GOR expires. Sign with the PAC one last time, and we leave open many options in the future, including signing with the BIG12. Why close all doors prematurely? Fear the BIG12 door will close on us?

Sorry, but that's a fucking fantasy based on stupid fear. Washington and Oregon aren't taking our BIG12 spots. Neither is Fresno or Boise.

As this article states, many see the NCAA heading to two super conferences, one backed by ESPN, the v other, FOX (https://deadspin.com/predicting-the-fut ... 1849136024) Until we're told on no uncertain terms we're not a part of this, we shouldn't excuse ourselves from the possibility, however remote.
I do know the future, because I have two eyes and a functioning brain. The B1G will not leave the LA schools on an island and will come for west coast friends that wouldn't include Arizona. The ACC will fracture and its desirable parts will be shared between the B1G and SEC. That leaves leftovers from the Pac 12 and the ACC both fighting to get into the Big 12.

The remaining ACC schools that the SEC/B1G don't want could take our Big 12 spots, because we don't have a desirable football program nor do we have a large metropolitan area. We are not safe. Grab a seat now as opposed to staying in an awfully ran conference with an awful TV deal that pays an awful less amount of money.

If Washington/Oregon want to stay in the Pac 12 until the B1G finally calls them up then let them. That doesn't mean we have stick around to be their bitch.

HUBRIS. You are the definition of it.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:34 am

I do know the future, because I have two eyes and a functioning brain. The B1G will not leave the LA schools on an island and will come for west coast friends that wouldn't include Arizona. The ACC will fracture and its desirable parts will be shared between the B1G and SEC. That leaves leftovers from the Pac 12 and the ACC both fighting to get into the Big 12.

The remaining ACC schools that the SEC/B1G don't want could take our Big 12 spots, because we don't have a desirable football program nor do we have a large metropolitan area. We are not safe. Grab a seat now as opposed to staying in an awfully ran conference with an awful TV deal that pays an awful less amount of money.

If Washington/Oregon want to stay in the Pac 12 until the B1G finally calls them up then let them. That doesn't mean we have stick around to be their bitch.

OK, future boy, how does the ACC fracture before their GOR expires in 2035/36? And does the SEC ever have enough votes to kick out a Vanderbilt, a founding member of the conference?

Maybe if this were 2029, and the ACC contract was closer to ending, we would have reason to move now to a more permanent solution. But it's not. It's 2023, and ACC teams are stuck together for more than another decade plus. No need to panic and make a hasty decision you'll live to regret.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:50 am

OK, future boy, how does the ACC fracture before their GOR expires in 2035/36? And does the SEC ever have enough votes to kick out a Vanderbilt, a founding member of the conference?

Maybe if this were 2029, and the ACC contract was closer to ending, we would have reason to move now to a more permanent solution. But it's not. It's 2023, and ACC teams are stuck together for more than another decade plus. No need to panic and make a hasty decision you'll live to regret.
Because the GoR is not 100% air tight and since you like to source articles that may or may not be true go chew on this for a while.

When it comes to big time college athletics smart schools will always find a way to get the best money deals possible, unless you are the Pac conference of course.

You think some of these ACC schools are going to twiddle their thumbs for 12 years? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha. You obviously know nothing about contract law.

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2022/0 ... malleable/
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

“No need to panic and make a hasty decision” says the person who has obviously never played Musical Chairs.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:50 am

I'm not a lawyer, but best believe the ACC schools with weight can hire the best of them. FSU and Clemson aren't verbally throwing shit out there in February 2023 without believing that they can do what they need to do to get out sooner than 2036.

Either way if they can't that's still not an excuse to stay in the Pac 12 with a far worse TV deal than the Big 12, when you know damn well that's the best case option that we're going to have to stay relevant.

Look if you're worried in this fictional world where the B1G or SEC wants Arizona and we're tied into a GOR with the Big 12, it wouldn't matter. The TV money we'd get from either the SEC or Big 12 would be more than enough to buy us out of that GOR just like Texas/Oklahoma just did. It's an asinine zero logic excuse if that's what you're hell bent on using.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I'm no lawyer either. But I do know that it will take a bunch of them to get ACC schools out of their contract. And with no guarantee of winning. One lawyer's opinion is just that, and isn't binding. I'd imagine ACC schools have had their lawyers look at the contract. So have SEC and B1G lawyers. And nobody had yet to take any action to see if the contract is breakable. An indication that the lawyers believe it isn't worth the risk to try at this point in time.

And we don't know the final PAC offers available. Numbers or network(s). And it's not like, in the BIG12, we'd be featured in FOX B1G Non or prime time ABC. A slightly better BIG12 contract is probably not worth signing over our longterm future with the BIG12 exclusively. Should only do that if the PAC contract is really that bad.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

The reason the ACC’s contract terms are unbreakable is because no school has tried to break them? Do you even believe your circular logic at this point or are you just saying anything and everything to not be seen as having been on the total wrong side of this issue?

A slightly better Big12 contract is 100% worth signing right now because as you readily admit the PAC is currently a shitshow circling the drain. There is no logical explanation for taking less money for less exposure in a conference on the verge of disappearing from the national consciousness except that you don’t want to be wrong on the internet.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:23 am The reason the ACC’s contract terms are unbreakable is because no school has tried to break them? Do you even believe your circular logic at this point or are you just saying anything and everything to not be seen as having been on the total wrong side of this issue?

A slightly better Big12 contract is 100% worth signing right now because as you readily admit the PAC is currently a shitshow circling the drain. There is no logical explanation for taking less money for less exposure in a conference on the verge of disappearing from the national consciousness except that you don’t want to be wrong on the internet.
Actions speak louder than words. Especially when lawyers are involved. I'd imagine lawyers for top conferences and top ACC schools have examined the contract looking for an out. As of today, no action.

The PAC may be circling the drain, but in five year's time, if the future is one ESPN league and one FOX league, where does that leave the BIG12? And if we sign longterm rights with the BIG12, where does that leave us?

I know we're a bubble school when it comes to the two big leagues. We may need a minor miracle to get in. But as we were reminded yesterday, sometimes, 60 ft prayer shots find the bottom of the net.

The game is not over. Lots of moves to be made. And many of our fellow bubble schools in the ACC look to be stuck, unable to make a move until 2036. We shouldn't make a similar mistake.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Just say you don’t want to look like a dumbass for banging the drum for months now to stay in a conference that is about to go tits up and save everyone the time.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

TucsonCat

Post by TucsonCat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:01 am Image
ECC did it! Found the perfect image explaining the “rational” mindset of Pac12Fan2… I mean AzCatFan2. (Sorry… easy mistake to make at this point.)