Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by ChooChooCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:21 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:11 am The Pac-12 needs to differentiate itself by partnering with the one streaming partner nobody watches.
“It’s just so crazy that it just might work!”

- Morons
"It's a risk that we just have to take!"

-AzCatFan2
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:20 am Has anybody used the term "shit show" yet?
For this thread? Definitely
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:15 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:12 am The BIG12 without Texas and OU is a conference of also-rans. It will always be third fiddle at best, and the gap between the SEC, B1G, and the BIG12 will continue to grow. Conferences need cash cows/marquee programs. Who is the BIG12 cash cow?

If we join the BIG12, we'll be in the exact same position we are in today; only without a USC/UCLA or Texas/OU. That's not better. The difference would be our tier 3 games would be on ESPN+ instead of the PAC12 Network. If this is the best we can do, so bet it. But we're not at that point yet.

Take the top programs not in the SEC or B1G right now, and you get, in no particular order, Notre Dame, Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford. The best BIG12 programs, like OK State and Kansas, might not even be in the top 10 of this list, because Utah, Colorado, and ASU are likely more valuable.

And yes, going it alone with the PAC12 Network was a failure. But that shouldn't mean we should never take a risk again. The B1G may never expand again. ESPN will continue to lose subs as more people cut cords. The ACC will need to find a way to increase their revenues long before their GOR contract expires, which is easier said than done. Still a ton of moving parts, potential outcomes, and pieces to fall.
Ok so.....your argument is Arizona should remain in a conference that's currently fifth fiddle whose sole expansion options are SDSU and SMU? Oregon and Washington are major cash cows though, I mean look at how many television networks just want to throw money at them just to play Arizona and California. The Pac-12 is knocking TV networks away!

You're literally posting gobbledegoop. Arizona isn't getting a B1G invite, it isn't getting a SEC invite, so the point is to remain in a conference that will lose Oregon and Washington (nobody cares about Stanford except academics) in a handful of years, and that is going to benefit Arizona how exactly? By leaving them in a conference with SMU, SDSU, and more MWC schools?

Every post you make is an abject failure void of logic and reasoning. You are the living embodiment of the Pac-12.
You have a crystal ball? You know exactly what the TV contract will be, and know for sure the PAC will fall behind both the ACC and BIG12? I don't. And no guarantee that we'll be 5th fiddle when the contract is presented.

There is also no guarantee that Oregon and Washington are going to be B1G members in the future. What we do know is the B1G won't take the next shot. If the PAC crumbles by the 4-corner schools leaving, the B1G will pick up the remaining pieces it wants, and likely at a discount. If the corner schools stay, then Oregon and UW have no where better to go, and the PAC survives.

The BIG12 without any cash cow schools is a guaranteed 3rd fiddle at best. And would be a 4th fiddle if in the future, the ACC and PAC decide to merge. A conference with FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford would be a formidable conference, and better than the BIG12 will have to offer going forward. We also know the ACC needs a way to find more revenue, but that's also unlikely to happen right now.

If we go BIG12 now, that's it. That's likely where we stay for a long, long time. The also-ran conference made up of P5 schools not good enough to make it into the big 2. When the time is right, the B1G will take Oregon, Washington, CAL, and Stanford, and the B1G and SEC will divide up the ACC schools that have value. Everyone else might seek a safe space in the BIG12, with us. A true P5 also-ran conference that includes Washington State and Boston College. Who doesn't want that? :roll:

Or, we can be patient, and potentially forward thinking and stay in the PAC. There's nothing stopping the BIG12 from expanding today. But their reality? They just added four G5 schools, and they don't want to add more. That's why SDSU is off the table for the BIG12 right now. So is Gonzaga, even as basketball only. The 4-corner schools, all P5, and more valuable to the BIG12 than any other realistic expansion candidates are the BIG12's best options. Sign a 5-year TV contract, just like the BIG12, and the BIG12 will wait for us.

And while ESPN+ has over 20 million subscribers, 40% are bundlers with Hulu and Disney. I'd guess 25% or more ESPN+ subs never watch it. And viewership numbers? I can't find any. But we do know ESPN is hemorrhaging money, and laid off a large number employees.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:12 am The BIG12 without Texas and OU is a conference of also-rans
There are more sports than just football. PAC-12 Conference of Champions.

Understanding that football is the biggest revenue sport, but look how well the ACC has done as a basketball conference.

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:17 am
AZCatGirl wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:09 pm I'm a huge Apple fangirl, but being on that service is a death sentence. You need to go after SPORTS FANS not APPLE FANS. Apple fans by and large don't give two craps about sports. Not to mention their MLB broadcasts are a joke.

ESPN+ isn't ideal, but you have a much better chance of people actually seeing you. And let's not forget that Apple will charge to watch the Pac 12 by itself, while with ESPN+ you get to watch multiple sports and conferences for that price, meaning other people can actually watch our games for once! What a concept.
Stick with AZCatGirl guys. She won't lead you astray on this topic.

I agree. I don't have any Apple products, outside of vintage iPods, but no iPhones, iPads or MacBooks.

Never seen a product that caters just to fanboys like Apple. Fangirls too, sorry AZCatGirl.

But just not interested.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:38 am
azgreg wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:20 am Has anybody used the term "shit show" yet?
For this thread? Definitely
Does shitstorm count? I used that on pg55 at the top of the responses. :?:
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Merkin wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:12 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:12 am The BIG12 without Texas and OU is a conference of also-rans
There are more sports than just football. PAC-12 Conference of Champions.

Understanding that football is the biggest revenue sport, but look how well the ACC has done as a basketball conference.

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:17 am
AZCatGirl wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:09 pm I'm a huge Apple fangirl, but being on that service is a death sentence. You need to go after SPORTS FANS not APPLE FANS. Apple fans by and large don't give two craps about sports. Not to mention their MLB broadcasts are a joke.

ESPN+ isn't ideal, but you have a much better chance of people actually seeing you. And let's not forget that Apple will charge to watch the Pac 12 by itself, while with ESPN+ you get to watch multiple sports and conferences for that price, meaning other people can actually watch our games for once! What a concept.
Stick with AZCatGirl guys. She won't lead you astray on this topic.

I agree. I don't have any Apple products, outside of vintage iPods, but no iPhones, iPads or MacBooks.

Never seen a product that caters just to fanboys like Apple. Fangirls too, sorry AZCatGirl.

But just not interested.
Football is about 3/4 of the revenue equation. March Madness, which already has a solid TV contract, basketball doesn't bring that much revenue in. There's a reason why Duke, great basketball, great academics, but football afterthought, isn't included in the conversation about ACC teams that might one day go to the SEC and/or the B1G.

I too am not a fan of Apple products. Have none in the house; not even an old school iPod. I do, however, subscribe to Apple TV. App works just fine on my Android device, Windows driven computers, and my Vizio TV. Apple TV works like any other streaming service. If you are a sports fan, and don't subscribe to any streaming services yet, sooner, rather than later, you will be missing out on content you will want to watch.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PAC will probably lock up ION soon.
PHXCATS wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:01 am
Catintheheat wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:44 am I have lost hope that the Cats will move to the B12. When did Robbins ever do what the fans wanted?
Why would you do what fans wanted and not what is in the best interest of the University if you were Robbins?
Isn't making more more money in the best interest of the University? After all, TCU was in the MWC until 2012.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

84Cat wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:27 pm
Wonder if this means if the CW will be the linear partner for the PAC? Having ACC games followed by PAC games makes for good "shoulder content" for the CW. Also could be a test run for a future combined ACC/PAC? Just speculation, but seems logical on my end. 50 football/basketball games isn't a lot of content. But over 100 ACC plus PAC games combined?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The CW with Apple TV is very fitting for the PAC. I was told there would be no math, but it seems a combined viewership of less than 1M?

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:11 am The Pac-12 needs to differentiate itself by partnering with the one streaming partner nobody watches.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Somebody run a book on which will occur first: scalable fusion reactors or a PAC TV deal.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Imagine the PAC burnt the bridges wish SDSU. Nice work George.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:08 pm Imagine the PAC burnt the bridges wish SDSU. Nice work George.
Not even close but keep up the fake narratives. It is what you do best
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:41 pm Not even close but keep up the fake narratives. It is what you do best
Care to educate us ignorant folk as to what the real story is?

(this should be good)
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Sounds like this doesn’t have anything to do with the realignment but rather poor conduct
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

As you can imagine, this is huge in the university environment, much less Stanford of all places.

There were “repeated instances of manipulation of research data and/or subpar scientific practices from different people and in labs run by Dr. Tessier-Lavigne at different institutions,” the report concluded.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:35 am
PHXCATS wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:41 pm Not even close but keep up the fake narratives. It is what you do best

(this should be good)
Nothing?

Dang it, I was really hoping to learn the stuff the small dick podcasters refuse to tell me.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:28 pm

(this should be good)
Nothing?

Dang it, I was really hoping to learn the stuff the small dick podcasters refuse to tell me.
You have to apologize first or the proper big dick won't rise to the occasion.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:42 pm

(this should be good)
Nothing?

From what I have learned over the course of the past year or so from the PAC 12 and all it's groupies....

A measured response with enough details to choke a horse (fly) is on it's way. Please allow time for it to be properly formulated. It should be posted in the very near future. Possibly before the start of football season, however as you know, it takes time and at least one other groupie acting as a source to get these things right. Thank you for your patience.

;)
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Basketcats wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:56 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:42 pm

(this should be good)
Nothing?

From what I have learned over the course of the past year or so from the PAC 12 and all it's groupies....

A measured response with enough details to choke a horse (fly) is on it's way. Please allow time for it to be properly formulated. It should be posted in the very near future. Possibly before the start of football season, however as you know, it takes time and at least one other groupie acting as a source to get these things right. Thank you for your patience.

;)
I wait with bated breath .......
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

George has been listening to Machina and AzCatFan2.

And this came out of his mouth too?
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Does the PAC still have a PR team that can maybe workshop what George is going to say before he opens his mouth and literal shit comes out?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:30 am George has been listening to Machina and AzCatFan2.

And this came out of his mouth too?
We already know how you only read what you want and not what others actually wrote. Don't need to keep on doing it over and over and over again.

Imagine not having the ability to think on your own and only following Scheer and Luke and Spears
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:31 am We already know how you only read what you want and not what others actually wrote. Don't need to keep on doing it over and over and over again.

Imagine not having the ability to think on your own and only following Scheer and Luke and Spears

(this should be good)
Nothing?

Still waiting Machina.

Either put up or shut up, and stop projecting.

Your sports persona exactly matches your political one.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I muted that clown

There is zero evidence that the PAC-12 mislead SDSU. There is zero evidence SDSU sent that letter to the MWC based on what the PAC-12 said. The PAC-12 clearly stated they wanted to get the TV deal done first. SDSU sending that letter to the MWC had nothing todo with the PAC-12.

And SDSU has wanted to go to the PAC-12 for years and years and years. Their letter is not going to change that.

So yeah you are wrong and you push false fake narritives

And my political persona? You mean being consistent. Yeah asking for consistency does match my sports persona big guy
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Guy mutes anyone that disagrees with him or proves him wrong. Lmao.
Muted me too. Soon It'll just be him and Azcatfan2 in here.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

The Pac-12 is the laughingstock of the country. I am losing hope that UA will get out of this without a big downfall and lower expectations. We are dangerously close to becoming a mid-major school.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:29 am I muted that clown

There is zero evidence that the PAC-12 mislead SDSU. There is zero evidence SDSU sent that letter to the MWC based on what the PAC-12 said. The PAC-12 clearly stated they wanted to get the TV deal done first. SDSU sending that letter to the MWC had nothing todo with the PAC-12.

And SDSU has wanted to go to the PAC-12 for years and years and years. Their letter is not going to change that.

And my political persona? You mean being consistent. Yeah asking for consistency does match my sports persona big guy
So, you mute anyone whom you think has a small cock. Then why did you mute me, muffin?

~ Wilhoit's Law
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:29 am I muted that clown
Good one. You have DoveCanyon and Basketcats muted too? Must get lonely for you with so few posters showing up in your feed.
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:29 am There is zero evidence that the PAC-12 mislead SDSU. There is zero evidence SDSU sent that letter to the MWC based on what the PAC-12 said. The PAC-12 clearly stated they wanted to get the TV deal done first. SDSU sending that letter to the MWC had nothing todo with the PAC-12.

Your opinion is noted. And stupid. And lacking in logic or anything resembling a persuasive argument. Seems like you just want to be a contrarian because it gets you attention. I’m happy it’s working out so well for you.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Catintheheat wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:46 am The Pac-12 is the laughingstock of the country. I am losing hope that UA will get out of this without a big downfall and lower expectations. We are dangerously close to becoming a mid-major school.
Respectfully there is zero evidence of any of this

USC, Utah, Washington and Oregon are all very good and in the public right now in football and U of A is still elite in basketball.

you are letting the drama of the podcasters and writers get in the way.

Give me one example please of how this is hurting U of A? or any PAC-12 school?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

KillerKlown wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:42 am Guy mutes anyone that disagrees with him or proves him wrong. Lmao.
Muted me too. Soon It'll just be him and Azcatfan2 in here.
I cant mute you and Merk. I gotta know what the stans are saying
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

More Luke goodness for Machina.

Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Merkin wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:54 pm More Luke goodness for Machina.

You will never get a straight or committed answer from him. Kliavkoff is one of the biggest waffling sob's around. He is well practiced in the art of direct eye contact waffling.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Tell me, what good would an honest answer do for Arizona???
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Make the PAC a less laughing stock than they are now. Now it's even worse.

Is Jody on your list too Machina?

Not a laughing stock?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

What list Merk?

So you believe U of A is missing out of 5 stars in basketball and 4 stars in baseball and football because of the lack of media deal?

Are they losing coaches?

How EXACTLY is U of A being hurt by not having a deal? Beside some sports media people saying it is embarrassing what exactly is the damage?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:46 pm What list Merk?
The list of sports pundits where you know more than they do.

Guess you need to expand it.
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:31 am Imagine not having the ability to think on your own and only following Scheer and Luke and Spears
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I do not have a list of that. You know it is possible to respectfully disagree with someone right? Jody is the best in Arizona, but I strongly disagree with him on this issue. And I think you really do as well since you cannot name one single area that U of A is impacted by. You just gotta stand by your men in Scheer and Luke and Spears and Blattman and Clay Travis and the far right win Outkick
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Well I would say it makes budgeting harder when you don't know what revenue will be. You don't know what you can commit to on salaries for coaches and what the effects will be on the overall athletic budget. Not sure what money is available for any facility upgrades or expansions. This ignores some recruiting aspects where you can't tell a family how to watch their kid play. I'm sure there are others.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

TheCat wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:44 pm Well I would say it makes budgeting harder when you don't know what revenue will be. You don't know what you can commit to on salaries for coaches and what the effects will be on the overall athletic budget. Not sure what money is available for any facility upgrades or expansions. This ignores some recruiting aspects where you can't tell a family how to watch their kid play. I'm sure there are others.
Clearly not hurting basketball or football

As far as budgeting, do you really think the presidents and ADs have never heard a single number? I am sure they have and I am sure it is close to or better than the Big 12's numbers. So they do have something they can budget with for the coming years
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

And you know this how? I'm sure they have been given a worse case number but that is not how you run a multi million dollar business. I'm not sure how you know it hasn't affect recruiting just because football has increased from the absolute bottom.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Merkin wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:37 pm Make the PAC a less laughing stock than they are now. Now it's even worse.

Is Jody on your list too Machina?
This video is spot on. If the PAC was going to establish itself as worthy of Major conference status, and if its schools going forward would be able to benefit from everything that goes along with that (College Football Playoff preference, getting more than 1 or 2 teams in the bball tourney, hosting baseball/softball regionals, etc), today was the day to announce the media deal.

There is no deal. Every day from here on out whatever deal they get will get progressively worse. The PAC-10 is a decomposing corpse.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

TheCat wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:54 pm And you know this how? I'm sure they have been given a worse case number but that is not how you run a multi million dollar business. I'm not sure how you know it hasn't affect recruiting just because football has increased from the absolute bottom.
Well considering this is the best UA has ever recruited I would find it extremely hard to believe it is, but if you can say it is for sure I would love to see your data or proof of it
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Machina is buying what the commish is selling. The media is just writing fud to get more clicks. Nobody knows wtf is going on. Hopefully we will find out soon what the media deal will look like and then we can analyze it to death. Damn the off season sucks
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

84Cat wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:08 pm Nobody knows wtf is going on.
Exactly. No one is in the room with George and the PAC-12 Presidents and the TV networks. So you can only use logic. Many are using emoting though
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:16 pm
84Cat wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:08 pm Nobody knows wtf is going on.
Exactly. No one is in the room with George and the PAC-12 Presidents and the TV networks. So you can only use logic. Many are using emoting though
Obviously you are smarter than every pundit covering college sports, so what does logic tell you?