Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:06 pm
azgreg wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:02 pm I don't think our California recruiting takes a hit at all.
I just want to know where people think these kids will be going instead... but no one seems to have an answer for that.
Cal or Stanford or Oregon State or Washington State
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I dont mind Gonzaga as basketball only but hard pass on UCONN being basketball only
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:02 pm I don't think our California recruiting takes a hit at all.
I just want to know where people think these kids will be going instead... but no one seems to have an answer for that.
It's like the argument that if you raise taxes on capital gains investors will stop investing.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:17 pm I dont mind Gonzaga as basketball only but hard pass on UCONN being basketball only
Why?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:16 pm
Got it. Sounds like this breaking up of the Pac is going to be good news for these schools
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Perennial powers those four. Maybe Cal can pay them NILs in the form of shares of the stadium.
Mike Luke's burner account.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:21 pm
Got it. Sounds like this breaking up of the Pac is going to be good news for these schools
They must be ecstatic!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

I'm not in favor of basketball only adds, need more brand name football programs.

Gotta wait out the acc collapt
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:11 pm
Alieberman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:06 pm I just want to know where people think these kids will be going instead... but no one seems to have an answer for that.
Top kids are leaving the state to play for Clemson, Alabama, LSU etc especially in the last few years where the pac 12 quality has gone down.

They don't want to stay just to stay, if they want to be semi close the 4 corner schools will play with big exposure for them.
The stars going across the nation to Florida, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc were California's tier 1 who Arizona wasn't competing for anyway. Talents like Bryce Young to Alabama and CJ Stroud to Ohio State. We never had a shot with them.

Arizona was always more competitive for California's 2nd and 3rd tier recruits and that won't change because there are so many of them for the taking, and yes, where will they go instead? I don't expect Arizona's recruiting efforts or results to change when it comes to California.
Last edited by CatsbyAZ on Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:21 pm
In some ways yes in some ways no

There are players UA currently gets that playing close to home and playing games in California is important to above other things. That’s not everyone but a small portion of the recruits. Those will be harder for UA. Now can Ua get similar players to that from Texas? Absolutely but the staff doesn’t have the current relationships with Texas high schools as they do California schools

It is give and take for everything
Last edited by PHXCATS on Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:24 pm
RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:11 pm
Alieberman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:06 pm I just want to know where people think these kids will be going instead... but no one seems to have an answer for that.
Top kids are leaving the state to play for Clemson, Alabama, LSU etc especially in the last few years where the pac 12 quality has gone down.

They don't want to stay just to stay, if they want to be semi close the 4 corner schools will play with big exposure for them.
The stars going across the nation to Florida, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc were California's tier 1 who Arizona wasn't competing for anyway. Talents like Bryce Young to Alabama and CJ Stroud to Ohio State. We never had a shot with them.

Arizona was always more competitive for California's 2nd and 3rd tier recruits and that won't change because there are so many of them for the taking, and yes, where will they go instead? I don't expect Arizona's recruiting efforts or results to change when it comes to California.
I didn't say otherwise, you actually agreed with me
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:25 pm
Thank Jeebus
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Thank fucking God this is over.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Gonzaga and UConn. Wow! The Cats could have a top 10 team and still be close to .500 in the league. Glad we have ASU, Utah, and Colorado close by. They will be the break between very competitive basketball games with the rest of the conference. We would be loaded with blue blood or close to blue blood teams.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Has anyone heard from George K today?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Catintheheat wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:37 pm Gonzaga and UConn. Wow! The Cats could have a top 10 team and still be close to .500 in the league. Glad we have ASU, Utah, and Colorado close by. They will be the break between very competitive basketball games with the rest of the conference. We would be loaded with blue blood or close to blue blood teams.
Hard pass on UConn
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Why?
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:38 pm Has anyone heard from George K today?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

This is survival, not accomplishment.

Bear Down, and make the best of it!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:25 pm
Whew.
What a long week this was
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I've had an awful week and this news is just the treat I needed.

Also thanks to the U of A for making it easy for me to find a new avatar.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:50 pm This is survival, not accomplishment.

100%

No reason to celebrate. It needed to happen but we aren't better off than we were 10 years ago
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:00 pm
And reading back through this thread today to catch myself up, there are plenty of instances of posters advocating that we stay in the PAC. Only an idiot would try to claim otherwise. And y’all are dumb as rocks. Riding it out in the Pac to maybe get an SEC or B1G invite seven years from now was and remains a monumentally stupid idea.
This is a very easy thing to say when you're jumping in at this point. But as the situation was evolving with many potentialities it wasn't so clear.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Canzano finally turning on the Pac!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

^^^ All four of them :lol: :lol: :lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Carcassdragger wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:03 pm
And reading back through this thread today to catch myself up, there are plenty of instances of posters advocating that we stay in the PAC. Only an idiot would try to claim otherwise. And y’all are dumb as rocks. Riding it out in the Pac to maybe get an SEC or B1G invite seven years from now was and remains a monumentally stupid idea.
This is a very easy thing to say when you're jumping in at this point. But as the situation was evolving with many potentialities it wasn't so clear.
We were never getting an invite to those conferences idiots, ever.

Anyone with critical thinking skills came to that conclusion when USC and UCLA left.

Our football program is nowhere near good enough to do get an invite. Nor is the academic prestige there for a B1G invite.

Staying in the pac 12 would keep hurting the athletic programs like it has been doing for the past couple of decades.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Seems like there were plenty of posters who had no problem saying the same thing as the situation was evolving. Nice try though.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’ll celebrate this.

50ml per year

annual games against Kansas BB

The best basketball conference in the nation

Exposure for fb and bb in central time zone and east of the Mississippi on the reg

A valid viable pipeline to Texas fb recruits to supplement the ca pipeline

Conference leadership that gives a damn and is aggressive

A bb conference schedule that will prepare us for the tournament.

New friends and rivals.

Lots to celebrate today.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It is a very sad day but one filled with hope. No way to cut it but to say it’s tough when you lost the last 45 years of brotherhood due to leadership that was inept.

While I am happy we found financial footing, I am terribly sad we left behind WAZZU and Oregon St. It really feels like it should have been that no brother should have been left behind but in today’s money grab, to each its own.

I really hope the remaining schools in the PAC can salvage the conference and thrive going forward
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bring on the wet blankets. Nostalgia doesn’t run winning programs
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:08 pm
In all natural systems, whether social or socio-economic, diversity is fundamentally virtuous and healthy. Plurality cannot be considered bad in principle.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:01 pm
pc in NM wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:50 pm This is survival, not accomplishment.

100%

No reason to celebrate. It needed to happen but we aren't better off than we were 10 years ago
Literally contradicts everything you've said but okay.
Mike Luke's burner account.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

As long as I can watch my Cats play on tv, I really don’t care what conference they are in
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

cerec_cat wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:27 pm As long as I can watch my Cats play on tv, I really don’t care what conference they are in
Buy a Hulu+ Live subscription and ESPN+ would be included. No having to find streaming services where I can get all Cats games. Right now that is only Fubo.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:18 pm
Seems like there were plenty of posters who had no problem saying the same thing as the situation was evolving. Nice try though.
I dont think you got what I wss trying to say. Waiting to get a SEC or a B1G invite was a different nuance than the argument for staying in the PAC. The sensibility of staying in the Pac changed as the circumstances evolved.

But don't let that stop.you from calling others dumb as rocks on your second day back. So nice to see you here again.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:22 pm It is a very sad day but one filled with hope. No way to cut it but to say it’s tough when you lost the last 45 years of brotherhood due to leadership that was inept.

While I am happy we found financial footing, I am terribly sad we left behind WAZZU and Oregon St. It really feels like it should have been that no brother should have been left behind but in today’s money grab, to each its own.

I really hope the remaining schools in the PAC can salvage the conference and thrive going forward
Yes, I honestly feel for their fans because they're getting screwed and there's not a damn thing they can do. Wouldn't be opposed if the Big 12 brings them along, but I hope they can land on their feet somewhere. It sucks, but sadly when things like this happens some schools just end up being causalities.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I kind of feel bad for George K. Could have poached the Big 12 a couple years ago and didn't, tried to ally with acc and big 12 and the B1G only to just get just robbed by 2 of the 3.

Well he probly made a bunch of money over the past couple years and probly doesn't have to do much of anything for the next year, so, maybe I feel less bad for him.

The PAC 12 just isn't what it was 10 years ago in relation to the other conferences.

So let's beat the hell out of these shlubs for the next year and get on with it.

I am seriously gonna miss the Arizona UCLA rivalry, second best rivalry in college basketball. Only to Duke UNC.

Looking forward to the new #2 rivalry, Zona vs Kansas.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

GK made 10k/day, he’ll be fine
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:34 pm I dont think you got what I wss trying to say. Waiting to get a SEC or a B1G invite was a different nuance than the argument for staying in the PAC. The sensibility of staying in the Pac changed as the circumstances evolved.
In response to CST saying “Fuck we got a good deal. But stay with the pac some of us said…” Machina said “No one said that but okay whatever makes you feel better cupcake.” My response was to the idea no one said stay with the PAC so I don’t know what you’re babbling about.
Carcassdragger wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:34 pmBut don't let that stop.you from calling others dumb as rocks on your second day back. So nice to see you here again.
Just wait until day 3. I’ll be comparing people who say obviously stupid untrue shit to fence posts. It’ll be a real humdinger of a day. Stay tuned!
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Hey Chi, we doing RAP for basketball this year?

You going to Madison for the game next year in November?
Last edited by U.P. Zona Fan on Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:42 pm I kind of feel bad for George K. Could have poached the Big 12 a couple years ago and didn't, tried to ally with acc and big 12 and the B1G only to just get just robbed by 2 of the 3.
He was dealt a shitty hand, but he tried to pretend that 2/6 off-suit was a full house.

He should have added Baylor and TCU. He should have taken the Big12 up on their partnership idea. But he was in way over his head and probably should have never taken the job in the first place. I don’t feel bad for him at all. He did nothing to put the conference on the right track to staying relevant and strong. He fucked up, and there are a ton of conference employees who will bear the brunt of his mistakes. Feel bad for them.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:04 pm
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:42 pm I kind of feel bad for George K. Could have poached the Big 12 a couple years ago and didn't, tried to ally with acc and big 12 and the B1G only to just get just robbed by 2 of the 3.
He was dealt a shitty hand, but he tried to pretend that 2/6 off-suit was a full house.

He should have added Baylor and TCU. He should have taken the Big12 up on their partnership idea. But he was in way over his head and probably should have never taken the job in the first place. I don’t feel bad for him at all. He did nothing to put the conference on the right track to staying relevant and strong. He fucked up, and there are a ton of conference employees who will bear the brunt of his mistakes. Feel bad for them.
I'll do that, good to see you back. Stick around for a while.
-Norlander.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:02 pm Hey Chi, we doing RAP for basketball this year?
For you? Sure!
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:02 pmYou going to Madison for the game next year in November?
Hell yes. Indy this year for the Purdue game, Madison next year. And whenever we play Iowa State and Cincy. Can’t wait!
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:06 pm
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:02 pm Hey Chi, we doing RAP for basketball this year?
For you? Sure!
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:02 pmYou going to Madison for the game next year in November?
Hell yes. Indy this year for the Purdue game, Madison next year. And whenever we play Iowa State and Cincy. Can’t wait!
Sweet, looking forward to it!!
-Norlander.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:50 pm GK made 10k/day, he’ll be fine
Oh Daddy! The dithering negligence I could accomplish for $10k per day! Somebody give me the opportunity to show you.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

We were so fucking ready to get out of this shit stain of a conference.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:06 pm
For you? Sure!
Heh heh heh, you know it was the main reason why we kept your barstool pristine with its "Reserved" sign freshly maintained. Seriously, it was tough last season, but we knew that BDW corporate jet perk would tempt you back!

FUCK YEAH BITCHES! BB RAP IS BACK!!!!!!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:14 pm We were so fucking ready to get out of this shit stain of a conference.
The “PAC Who?” t-shirts will be offered on the campus bookstore website by tomorrow morning.