PHXCATS

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by PHXCATS »

espn fucked over U of A much more than the PAC-12 did
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:19 am espn fucked over U of A much more than the PAC-12 did
That is probably true, but because the Pac-12 is less evil than ESPN we should give them a pass.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Catintheheat wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:29 am
PHXCATS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:19 am espn fucked over U of A much more than the PAC-12 did
That is probably true, but because the Pac-12 is less evil than ESPN we should give them a pass.
Not saying that at all. But we can still be sad the PAC-12 is dead and understand and respect the feelings and thoughts of people who have traditions, fond memories and will not be able to see UA in person anymore. Also we should probably focus on the bigger villian, espn. But message board members and the stans of the daily podcasters want to jump in bed with espn forever
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:59 am The Big 12 has no TV network, they should absorb the last 4 teams and take over the PAC network and produce games that could be sold off to streamers like APPLE.
Don't the 4 Corners schools own 1/3 of the PAC-12 Network? :)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Would be amazing if the Big12 bought the PAC-12 Network and espn or fox bought in as well and distributed it.

Less streaming only games ans would get great post-game highlights and analysis. Say what you want about George or Larry Scott and the distribution of the Pac12 Network, the post game shows were great
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:09 am Would be amazing if the Big12 bought the PAC-12 Network and espn or fox bought in as well and distributed it.

Less streaming only games ans would get great post-game highlights and analysis. Say what you want about George or Larry Scott and the distribution of the Pac12 Network, the post game shows were great
ESPN doesn't need the Pac-12 Network, they have ESPN+. Also, didn't ESPN shut down the Big-12 Network?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Catintheheat wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:10 am
PHXCATS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:09 am Would be amazing if the Big12 bought the PAC-12 Network and espn or fox bought in as well and distributed it.

ESPN doesn't need the Pac-12 Network, they have ESPN+. Also, didn't ESPN shut down the Big-12 Network?
Notice where I said it would mean less streaming only games.

That is until espn goes full streaming only in a few years.

I just want a post game show for basketball and football.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How much mourning time is needed before I can be happy we are out of a conference that was dead months ago when USC and UCLA bailed?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Chicat wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:35 am How much mourning time is needed before I can be happy we are out of a conference that was dead months ago when USC and UCLA bailed?
Yesterday

No one knows how much staying in a stagnant conference has hurt the schools over the last couple of years/decades (conference hasn't won anything major in a long time). But we know staying in that stagnation would've hurt us even more in the future.

Glad we're gone.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

A couple of sportswriters listed our all-time records against future Big XII opponents. Obviously the record is the record, and some people are into snapping the record book shut like it's the Bible and slamming it on the table. But that doesn't tell the whole story when the whole point is to glean insight into likely competitiveness. Prior to our upset win at Ohio St and the Sun Bowl appearance against Auburn in the late 60s, by whatever official designation, Arizona was small potatoes. And from that time until we joined a P5 conference in 1978, except for a couple of atypical seasons, we were still pretty bad, owing to poor funding and facilities. It still took a few years after that, but then there was a noticeable difference in circumstances that affected our ability to compete. So with that background and rationale, here's our record as a P5 team against future Big XII opponents:

ASU 22-22-1 (Let's finish up in the Pac era with a winning record to go along with our all-time winning record against them._
BYU 2-4
Colorado 9-4
Houston 1-2
Kansas St 1-0
Oklahoma St 1-2
TCU 1-1
Texas Tech 2-2-1
Utah 6-11
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ASU 22-22-1 (Let's finish up in the Pac era with a winning record to go along with our all-time winning record against them)

Gee, I thought they were the football school?

Must have got my information wrong...
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:35 am How much mourning time is needed before I can be happy we are out of a conference that was dead months ago when USC and UCLA bailed?
Zero mourning time.

The minute you heard we were getting out of this dumpster fire of a conference I'm hoping you broke out the good (insert pleasure here) stuff .
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:43 am
Yesterday

No one knows how much staying in a stagnant conference has hurt the schools over the last couple of years/decades (conference hasn't won anything major in a long time). But we know staying in that stagnation would've hurt us even more in the future.

Glad we're gone.
Myopic view, IMNSHO.

Arizona's move TO the PAC was a much bigger "accomplishment" and "recognition" than Arizona's move to the Big 12 - there can be no doubt about that.

Surviving the demise of the Pac-12 is good, and we should be happy, I wholeheartedly agree!! But forgetting the history of the PAC, and what it's meant to Arizona the past 40+ years should also figure prominently in our thoughts and feelings.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I draw a close parallel between "feelings" and "badges". All I have to say is:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Yeah, I’m not wearing a black armband because this crappy conference didn’t bother to even attempt to save itself from the demise many of us saw coming a decade ago. Failure to adapt leads to extinction.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:15 am Lol! There you go Chi.

Or did Jack shit in promotion of its biggest BB cash cow.

Or how about garbage refs and touch fouls which made all our teams play weak in a more physical tournament?

Or a media rights deal that essentially sequestered all sports behind a paywall for 10years.

Or presidents that have no clue about the modern college market, making decisions that affect the lifeblood of schools like Arizona and WSU etc.

And on and on….

Yeah, fuck the Pac.
And lets not forget that for 45+ years the AZ schools were treated like 2nd rate citizens to the Cali schools in terms of officiating, scheduling, and who they chose to promote.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

84Cat wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:57 am Yeah, those of us in the PNW are not happy. No easy way to see the Cats anymore. Lots of travel to watch a game in person. We are all planning to make it to Vegas & Pullman this year
It is somewhat unfortunate. We just moved up here and we were looking forward to regular Corvallis and Seattle trips (fuck Nike U…been there for games four times and that’s enough), with the occasional Pullman trip. Oh well, I’d rather the Cats be in their current position than me getting to go watch them on a Mountain West campus…or worse. I can stay free in Tucson, so I’ll use my stockpiled Alaska Airlines miles to watch UofA at home. I’m looking forward to something new, tbh.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:18 am I have talked to close to 20 alum since all this went down in real life (not on social media but in person conversations or texts).
Anecdote is not data.
PHXCATS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:18 amEvery single one is glad we aren’t stuck like Cal Stanford Oregon St and Washington St but every single one is sad the PAC12 is done and is gonna miss the PAC12.
I had a wart on my elbow once. It's long gone. Knowing it was once there and no longer is, I miss it.
PHXCATS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:18 amYes most know the PAC12 was done as soon as ucla and usc left and they were replaced immediately. But it is still a sad event.
Certainly a divorce from an abusive marriage is sad in some respects ....
PHXCATS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:18 amYet here everyone is fuck the past fuck everything except Big12.
You don't speak for anyone here.
PHXCATS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:18 amCrazy how different it is. Just wish the people acting like they did this would stop pretending they made Robbins do this and would actually talk to people about how they felt before making huge false statements on their platforms
By posting what "sources" say people are assuming agency in respect of Robbins' actions? Is that what you're saying? Man, you are one weird dude.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

pc in NM wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:52 pm
RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:43 am
Yesterday

Glad we're gone.
Myopic view, IMNSHO.

Arizona's move TO the PAC was a much bigger "accomplishment" and "recognition" than Arizona's move to the Big 12 - there can be no doubt about that.

Surviving the demise of the Pac-12 is good, and we should be happy, I wholeheartedly agree!! But forgetting the history of the PAC, and what it's meant to Arizona the past 40+ years should also figure prominently in our thoughts and feelings.
I don't look back my man, if you do that's fine.

I don't live for nostalgia.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, ames Iowa is only 10 hrs away and I have family in Iowa city, so Hilton is a possibility. Starting to get difficult to impose on my aging relatives in Tucson so if the cats play a road stand in Ames and Lawrence??

That sounds like a road trip I'd really try to make.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Good. Dont need anymore unless the ACC explodes.

Schedule California OOC football games and it is all good
Capital Tiger

Post by Capital Tiger »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:24 pm here's our record as a P5 team against future Big XII opponents:

ASU 22-22-1 (Let's finish up in the Pac era with a winning record to go along with our all-time winning record against them._
Again, new guy here... How is it that Arizona and asu have only played 45 times previously?
Geaux Tigers
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Capital Tiger wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:32 pm
TheCatInTheHat wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:24 pm here's our record as a P5 team against future Big XII opponents:

Again, new guy here... How is it that Arizona and asu have only played 45 times previously?
I think this represents the 45 years we played in the PAC. All time record, Arizona leads 50-45-1. Arizona dominated the early years. ASu dominated the WAC years, and it's been equal during the PAC years.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That's just during the PAC-12 era. Overall Arizona leads 50-45-1.
Capital Tiger

Post by Capital Tiger »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:35 pm

I think this represents the 45 years we played in the PAC. All time record, Arizona leads 50-45-1. Arizona dominated the early years. ASu dominated the WAC years, and it's been equal during the PAC years.
Okay that makes more sense. Thanks!
Geaux Tigers
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I'm just glad our drama is over. I have no urge to look back. Our PAC-12 years are over, just as our WAC years were over when we joined the PAC. If we schedule any Cali teams in FB or BB, fine. If we don't, fine also. We are in a ew conference, with new foes, and one or more of those new foes may become an arch enemy. It's all good. Looking forward, not backward, from here on out.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Everytime I think of the old Border Conference a tear appers from my eye. How often is that? Never. Because I never think of the Border Conference.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Capital Tiger wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:25 pm

The Territorial Cup, which goes to the winner of the rivalry game, is the oldest trophy in college football, going back to 1899, a full 13 years prior to Arizona becoming a state.
Capital Tiger

Post by Capital Tiger »

Chicat wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:47 pm
Capital Tiger wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:25 pm

The Territorial Cup, which goes to the winner of the rivalry game, is the oldest trophy in college football, going back to 1899, a full 13 years prior to Arizona becoming a state.
Pretty cool... We used to have an in-state rival in Tulane, but they fell way behind us long ago, and the rivalry waned, fizzled and was eventually put out to pasture. The team we've played the most is Mississippi State, but neither side considers it a rival - and we're not playing them in 2024...
Geaux Tigers
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:27 pm This above! Region play makes much more sense for the Olympic sports
Yes at some point I think the olympic sports like the Washington Huskies rowing teams will get rolled back into their own geographic conferences. Like how college hockey works. 60 teams competing for 16 at-large playoff spots. All in subconferences (save for the Big Ten) separate from their governing conference. Like Boston College in the "Hockey East" conference. Or the Ivy League schools sharing the "ECAC" conference with Quinnipiac and Rensselaer.

On another note, if I'm an olympic sport coach at Grand Canyon U this is where I start recruiting these players not wanting to play a Big 10/12 schedule. Clean house.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

These fools need to learn a few things

Tucson is a top beer city in the country
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Tuscon

SMDH
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Pueblo Vida is going to be selling at Arizona Stadium. I doubt there are more than 4 stadiums in the nation selling better beer at the games
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Dan Wetzel on Wildcat County this week said the fear Arizona would get left behind was foolish and would never happen
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

USA today article on who's to blame for the realignment mess

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 0559721007
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:44 pm Dan Wetzel on Wildcat County this week said the fear Arizona would get left behind was foolish and would never happen
That said, I am glad we were proactive and ahead of the curve. Watching Furd and Oregon St twist in the wind is hard to watch.

We have a home and 40m+a year in revenue on the way until the next contract
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:33 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:44 pm Dan Wetzel on Wildcat County this week said the fear Arizona would get left behind was foolish and would never happen
That said, I am glad we were proactive and ahead of the curve. Watching Furd and Oregon St twist in the wind is hard to watch.

I only presented this because of the left behind part

How do you get $40Million though? Adding CFP already?
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

$50 million potential is what BIG12 ADs believe to be possible and I see the vision. In Brett I trust. If only I could buy stock.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

What'd you all think about a 10 game conference schedule?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Let’s do it!
We ain’t the creme puff sec
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If every power conference did the same absolutely

Foolish to do it if the others are staying at 8 or 9
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:53 pm
azcat49 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:33 pm

I only presented this because of the left behind part

How do you get $40Million though? Adding CFP already?
Yes partly at least as it should be even more. I saw an article where there distributed 37m per school last year so with normal acceleration it should be higher.

I would be all in on 10 games as long as we continue to have the automatic qualifier for the CFP. Wouldn’t matter if our representative was 9-3, as long as we get information
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Lots of chatter on Twitter/X that Fox is about to be sued for all of this
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:19 am Lots of chatter on Twitter/X that Fox is about to be sued for all of this
You can just post the tweet.
I’m guessing though this is one of the accounts you shit on during the past couple of weeks so you don’t want to appear to be a hypocrite since you too regurgitate info from “little dick fan site bloggers”.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

This is why i don't feel sorry for 3 of the remaining pac4 schools. Especially Stanford and Oregon St. Maybe they should name the presidents of those two in the lawsuit also. Hypocrites.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don’t speak emoji, what’s ✔️ company?

I’m gonna feel like a huge idiot, when you tell me, so let’s just get it over with. 😂
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Nike
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Told you there was a ton of behind the scenes stuff to kill the PAC-12. Obviously there is a case to be made. Will be interesting. When PAC-12 games rate better than Big-12 games by a large amount there were obviously other things at play